12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

Look, you can find flaws in many of the skills. Fine. Forget the rest and stop comparing the skill to other skills. The skill by itself is repetitive and not fun. How about that?

And Sir, odd you said level 7. Made a post last night how most people seem to quit at level 7.

For two years to put this out is I think rathe poor.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, you can find flaws in many of the skills. Fine. Forget the rest and stop comparing the skill to other skills. The skill by itself is repetitive and not fun. How about that?

And Sir, odd you said level 7. Made a post last night how most people seem to quit at level 7.

The 1st line is just a effin personal opinion, and I don't see how this can be an argument.

TBH if I started now I would give up on ALMOST ALL of the skills before level 10.

In those skills you mentioned, you are not using the skill itself, you are using the item. The items from Farming are used in other areas, just like the items from Dung are used outside of Dung.

As I already said, resource skills integrate into the game by providing resources. Is Dung a resource skill? No. It provides optional enhancements that slightly improve the game in marginal ways. And there's nothing new or original about it at all.

When they introduced Hunter, they created a new resource skill that provided several completely new ways of getting useful items. They didn't make it a massive rehash of existing skills.

Suppose the Hunter "skill" involved you going to hunting grounds, taking off all your items, spending hours killing critters using only other skills, and then you only got rewards at the end by turning in tokens. Do you think the response would have been any different?

Skills enhance my ability to play across the game, or provide me with useful items I can use immediately, or let me earn money. I can get fish with level 1 Fishing -- maybe not the best of fish, but fish all the same. At level 1 mining I can mine items that have a use. At level 1 RC I can make runes. At level 1 Hunter I can earn over 100,000 gold per hour by catching polar kebbits!

What do I get at level 1 Dungeoneering? The ability to get to level 2 Dungeoneering.

What do I get at level 2 Dungeoneering? The ability to get to level 3 Dungeoneering.

And so on: repeat 50 times.

Can you tell me how something can be called a skill when you can get to level 50 in it and not get ANYTHING out of it aside from being able to get to level 51?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

That's your personal opinion and you can't blame Jagex for not asking your opinion on every stage of game design. I don't like Agility but I don't moan because of that, and there are plenty who do enjoy it, so how can I say Jagex are at fault there?

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

Essentially.. no, it isn't. It requires some training in other skills, and the basis is in combat (fine, you win, it's attack but called dungeoneering!), but the majority of the skill is new. You don't solve logic puzzles in Hunter, for example. There is a resemblance to certain quests, I admit.

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

What is the use of a nature/law staff?

10% free casts on spells that use them.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I got to try out the new skill yesterday and all i can say is I love it. Lots of fun, not easy, but not to hard either. I really like how you can get xp in other skills while playing, i have been doing it with just one partner and splitting the xp with them. There is certianly a very steep learning curve and it will take a little while to get used to everything. Only thing i think they should had is along with the name add what tier level each thing is becuase that can get confusing and wastes time examining each thing when a monster dumps like 6 things on the floor. Overall though :thumbsup: Big tumbs up i love it.

That one of the things that I consider repetitive. Not the whole thing, but quite a few elements.

I also think people want to like this skill, and come hell or high water, they're going to. People will probably say I want to hate the skill, but if anyone cares to remember, I always said I had high hopes in the skill and wanted it to be good.

I am, personally, disappointed.

And as well that now I don't think I'm going to be able to look forward to anything that Jagex says is going to be really good again. I just can't take their word, as far as content goes, anymore.

That's your personal opinion and you can't blame Jagex for not asking your opinion on every stage of game design.

I can't? Watch me.

I don't expect them to ask my opinion personally, no. I do expect them to ask the opinions of players in general.

But they don't need to, because they know better than everyone. (That's why most of their large content releases have to be reworked a month later.)

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

For two years to put this out is I think rathe poor.

Why is it repetitive and not fun?

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

really jagex? i just had my key to the boss door (or so i assume) placed nice and neat inside a wall. So here i go, solve the whole dungeon, have one unknown room left, needing the key stuck in the wall. -.-'

definately some "small" bugs, i mean, i've only spent 25 mins getting here...

Hmm I have to agree that the rewards need to be updated for this. It just isn't worth it. Take the bonecrusher for example, you train Dungeoneering for many many hours to get a bonecrusher which will help you bury bones. Hours upon hours just to become slightly more efficient when killing monsters. Time is money... and I wouldn't call that worth the time.

BUT, Dungeoneering is a hell of a lot of fun :D I'll definitely keep leveling it up just because it's fun. And hope that the rewards get updated to be more "worth it".

Oh and some of the music in Dungeoneering is just plain awesome :thumbsup: Thanks for that one audio team.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

That one of the things that I consider repetitive. Not the whole thing, but quite a few elements.

I also think people want to like this skill, and come hell or high water, they're going to. People will probably say I want to hate the skill, but if anyone cares to remember, I always said I had high hopes in the skill and wanted it to be good.

And as well that now I don't think I'm going to be able to look forward to anything that Jagex says is going to be really good again. I just can't take their word, as far as content goes, anymore.

Oh please don't fill update threads with whining.

Although I do admit that the only reason why I play is for the arcane ammy and maybe the mage book.

With that, I also have a feeling that it will be actually very easy to train at high levels. (Talking about levels, what is the point of lvl 120? Why not divide every requirement by (120/99) and xp by 8?

It's a nice minigame/activity but full-fledged skill? Come on. This is basically Temple Trekking with dungeon walls.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Bonegrinder offers nothing to prayer

Gem bag and coal bag offer nothing to mining.

If that's all you require for something to be considered a skill, then I guess Dungeoneering qualifies.

So do Barbarian Assault, Stealing Creation and Fist of Guthix.

And half the quests too.

It's nice to have low standards.

What qualifies Construction to be a skill? Your POH is an isolated world. It has the following effects on the game:

Tele tabs

Portals

Guilded altar

A bank designed for your costumes

A bank for your pets

Where is this long list of construction benefits? It seems Dung already has more benefits than a skill that was added a long time ago.

I think I need a better example.

Take fish flingers for example. As a D&D, great. People are thinking how great it would be if the whole fishing skill is trained this way, and I think it's possible as well. But do you think it makes sense if you caught 100 bass in the game and don't bring the 100 bass you caught home, but instead you get points for your performance, tokens, and at the end of the day, 10 sharks (knowing full well that there's no sharks in the activity) because of some measuring parameters and translation process?

10 kinds of ores, 30 sets of armours, 50 summoning beasts, 10 hunter animals, 5 slayer beasts.....translating into TWENTY items that you don't even recognise. All the time spent on the graphical design and item replacement, just to prevent trading between the two worlds. I'm looking for a skill where I can say, "Hey, I'm a dungeoneer, and I brought you some resources you can use. I'm also showing you this untradeable bonecrusher that I got off this badass looking, bone-crushing monster at level 57 dungeon. I'm playing a part of the community as a dungeoneer", not "Go through dungeon, get out, trade tokens for personal benefits".

What qualifies Construction to be NOT a skill

If construction involves new untradeable logs that you know are just oak and teak logs in disguise, and If POH does not allow tablets to be brought out of the house (or does not even have teletab making lecturn), but instead they come up with a system to translate the time and effort spent to build the house into tokens to trade for your teletab, or some item that boost your bone EXP by 3.5 times, without even the altar room or study room feature, yea, that would be as bad as this skill.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I think it's time for you to quit runescape then if your not having fun, why play if you know your going to hate all future content.

As for the new skill I must say it resembles a mini-game but I could care less. It's fun and entertaining and I didn't find it repetitive when the dungeon changed each game I played. Me and my friend who's 99 smithing had a blast gathering supplies and armour for our team. We had 4 close friends playing and it was a blast. We all contributed to the final fight and although we didn't recieve much experience we had fun getting there.

Low_C.png

but i can do homework / something else entirely, while not afking of course, so in reality it's rc exp i'd never gain otherwise. each to their own i guess

Correct, and good thinking too, it didn't cross my mind.

If the xp rates were higher, I would be there all night rc'ing. :^_^:

I think it's time for you to quit runescape then if your not having fun, why play if you know your going to hate all future content.

I think it's time for you and the others to cut the [cabbage] with the personal attacks and stick to the topic. She has as much right to her opinion as you do to yours.

signew2.png

Honestly, I agree with both sides. This functions much more like a minigame than a skill. Also it does get repetitive just going through nearly identical looking rooms killing monsters and trying to get the resources for halfway decent equipment so you can kill the boss.

That being said I've been soloing it and actually enjoying the break from the rest of the game. I find it to be pretty fun.

I think that as is it's a poor excuse for a skill, but with some integration and additions which allow the levels, rather than just the rewards to be useful then it could be a really good skill.

I also don't find the experience rate to be that slow, i've been pretty much gaining a level from each level of the dungeon I pass. When I get to the point that I can't reach the next floor yet I reset and go back through from the beginning, seems to work well for me so far.

My biggest complaint is about the rewards. The token system is far beyond unbalanced. The skill rewards tokens equal to 10% of the experience you gain each level. So in order to earn every reward a player would need to have 28,390,000xp. That's a bit ridiculous in my opinion. It translates to 4m xp worth of tokens for just one of the shields, and that's only if you never use your tokens on any other reward.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

I think it's time for you and the others to cut the [cabbage] with the personal attacks and stick to the topic. She has as much right to her opinion as you do to yours.

Suggestion not personal attack. I wouldn't play my xbox everyday if I hated it. I'd probably sell it.

Low_C.png

I'm not quitting because I never said I'm going to hate all future content. I'll probably like a lot of it. That being said I can't take them at their word anymore than a piece of particular content is going to be good. I'll have to wait and see for myself.

I can still have fun on Runescape, but the content that has come out in the past year or more has added very little in the game for me to get excited about.

I think I need a better example.

Take fish flingers for example. As a D&D, great. People are thinking how great it would be if the whole fishing skill is trained this way, and I think it's possible as well. But do you think it makes sense if you caught 100 bass in the game and don't bring the 100 bass you caught home ...

I am relieved that I can take the chair I constructed to Varrock and sit on it near the fountain, or bank the said chair ... ooooh wait .. snap!