25-May-2010 - The Elemental Workshop III

Tim

The Elemental Workshop below Seers' Village holds many secrets, long forgotten by the world above. Even as you read this, adventurers are scouring the world of RuneScape to find the means to pass through the body door, eager as they are to unlock more of this ancient forges mysteries.

Your efforts in the previous Elemental Workshop quest quite literally required a piece of your mind, but youll need it in a more typical, puzzle-solving capacity to get the contraption hidden behind the body door working again. Grasp the inner workings of this contraption, another of Vitruviuss ingenious machines, and you will be able to show off your mental prowess with equipment made from the new body bar, and the ability to create body armour with elemental metals.

And for those adventurers who cannot master the puzzle, only insanity awaits...

Mod Dylan

RuneScape Content Developer

Summary:

Where to start The Elemental Workshop III:

Seers' Village chapel.

Requirements to start The Elemental Workshop III:

Elemental Workshop II

Level 20 Mining

Level 33 Defence

Level 33 Smithing

In other news...

You can now right-click the 'Now playing' song to add it to your music playlist.

We've added three more areas where NPCs can now appear and offer to teleport you to the Fish Flingers D&D. These locations are Piscatoris, Shilo Village and Barbarian Village.

You can now choose the colour of your split chat. In the in-game options menu, click the Split Private Chat check box and select a colour.

Weve overhauled a core part of our graphics engine to give it four times as much fidelity for modelling and animation; as a result you may notice that various aspects of the in-game graphics look smoother. Because this change has involved modifying many thousands of models and animations theres a small chance certain combinations wont look quite right. We encourage you to submit bug reports if you spot anything amiss. You may also find the game client takes slightly longer to update this week while it processes all the changes weve made.

We are happy to announce the limit of how many friends free players can add to their Friends Lists has been doubled from 100 to 200, which brings it in line with the current members friend limit.

RuneScape is a massively multiplayer game, after all - so I wanted everyone to have the benefit of lots of friends. I expect the members wont really mind as they still have all the extra benefits of loads of additional skills, bank space, quests, regular content updates and no adverts.

All the best,

Mod MMG

This week, we have made some animation improvements to standard and skillcape emotes. All standard emotes have now been tweened (a process that blends together existing frames of animation). This process results in much smoother animations without changing how they look.

Weve applied this tweening process to all of the skillcape emotes too, as well as adding particle effects to them (things like twinkling lights and fire), giving you even more reason to show off your skillcapes. To see these particle effects, you will need to set the Particles option in the Custom Graphics Options menu to Medium or High.

A handful of skillcape emotes have also been given an animation overhaul to bring them in line both with our original vision and the quality of the other skillcape animations. Weve only done this for skillcape emotes that either werent fully representative of their skill or where wed previously hit limitations with the game engine. For more information on these changed skillcape animations, please read this forum post.

Mod Woody

[hide=List of Skillcape Changes.]Attack:

When we added the flame effect with particles to this emote we realised that the animation itself wasnt giving the impact we wanted to really show off the Attack skill. We stuck to the original concept, but reworked the animation to make the poses more dynamic.

Constitution:

We didnt quite achieve what we set out to do with the original Constitution emote, so we thought that now was the perfect opportunity to give you a new emote, much closer to our original vision. The original skillcape emote was restricted in terms of animation due to us reaching limits with the amount of detail we could put into the various models used in the emote. With these limitations in mind we were able to rethink how to approach the emote and give you a new animation with more finesse than the original.

Defence:

Much like with the Attack skillcape emote, we just felt that the animation for this emote was a little lacking and didnt really give enough action for a combat skill. In the same vein as with Attack, we re-imagined the animation to be a more convincing representation of the skill.

Summoning:

Like with Constitution, this was another emote where we hit some limitations in the game engine, which meant we had to cut the idea back. We had to restrict the amount of action in the emote as the original animation didnt live up to our initial expectations. To enable the update of this emote we had to cut one of the familiar heads from the animation, but this has allowed us to make it a lot smoother and add particles for a much more spectacular result.

Thieving:

We realised the one thing missing from the original Thieving skillcape emote was some actual thieving. Rather than having a bag of gold just appear on the players back, we wanted them to actually take the bag of gold in a suitably sneaky fashion, which is what the new emote does. [/hide]

Popoto.~<3

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).

Graphical

* Several female tops have had their midriff area adjusted to meet the waistline, as promised.

* Fixed a problem where some players couldn't successfully run the auto-setup graphics option first time around.

* Stopped some water going uphill.

* A barrel of apples on Lunar Isle should no longer become invisible.

* The statue of Arrav in the Heroes’ Guild has been updated.

* Fixed a problem with black demons’ feet.

* Removed some random blocking in Al Kharid and Lumbridge.

* We've carefully re-grown the top of a tree in Brimhaven.

* Updated Chaeldar's chathead on the interface of the lunar spellbook’s Contact spell.

* Updated the images for the torch and skull torch in the Construction skill guide.

* Fixed a render problem with a boat during a cutscene.

* Improved the animations when leaving the jail at the Desert Mining Camp.

* Re-textured gargoyles when they're being smashed.

* Reattached a floating branch to the Grand Tree.

* Fixed the glow effect of the Law Altar.

* Flattened some of the sea near Waterbirth Island.

* The Lighthouse light now spins once more!

* Fixed a problem with the images on the loom interface.

* Flags on Neitiznot and Jatizso no longer fly through their poles.

* Fixed several mapping problems with the Port Phasmatys dock area.

* Re-modelled some of the scenery in the Great Orb Project area.

* Improved the POH toy box interface buttons.

* Fixed the icon for unstrung maple longbows.

* Fixed the ladders in the Rune Essence mine.

* The workbench in the Crafting Guild no longer sticks up through the ceiling.

* A patch of grass has been firmly rooted to the floor.

* Correctly animated the coloured whip's special attack.

* Adjusted the animation for the talon beast's Deadly Claw attack to show all three attacks.

* Added a bell to Tindal Marchant's stall.

Audio

* Thunder can now be heard near Castle Drakan.

* Improved the songs 'Expecting', 'Upcoming' and 'Scape Soft'.

Quests

* Removed some old code from the Black Knights’ Fortress quest.

* Clarified some of the text in Meeting History.

* Corrected the Underground Pass quest journal reference to cages instead of crates.

* Corrected the Mournings Ends Part I quest complete scroll.

* Rantz should now talk to you about the various quests he's involved with at the right times.

* Removed a fair amount of old code from the Desert Treasure and Ghosts Ahoy quests.

* The Wise Old Man can now look at items you may have from The Blood Pact.

Activities and Distractions & Diversions

* Adjusted one of the locations you teleport to with the superior locator.

* Improved some of the core Fish Flingers code.

* The doors in Fish Flingers now open the other way.

* Fixed some positioning of icons on the Rat Pits interface.

* Improved the ladder minimap information in Barbarian Assault.

Miscellaneous

* Reduced the clickable size of the XP counter reset button.

* Fixed a typo when chartering boats and discussing the cost of the journey.

* Adjusted the chat box to better fit some characters.

* Strykewyrms can still be damaged even if you've recently been in combat with ogres.

* Fixed a problem with clockwork cats and the follower interface.

* Fixed the servant section of the Construction skill guide.

* Corrected the ops on dramen branches.

* Moved an unreachable fishing spot in the Fish Flingers D&D.

* Corrected the pouch crafting interface for the granite lobster and praying mantis.

* Fixed the dungeon entrance near the volcano on Crandor.

* Protect item and Turmoil no longer conflict depending on which way around they were selected.

* Removed some old chat from Donie.

* Dropping and picking up a raven shouldn't change which version you have.

* Cleared a bit of vegetation to allow access to the bridge near Mos Le’Harmless.

* Updated a large amount of the older Farming code.

* Godswords can now be found in the Attack skill guide.

* The speed at which Summoning potions could be made was a bit too fast.

* Clarified the message when using the hollow log shortcut while in various monkey forms.

* Fixed a problem with your POH rotating the garden portal unexpectedly.

* Close the ‘servant going to the bank’ interface when necessary.

* Sped up the time it takes to get through the barrier to Port Phasmatys if you've completed Ghosts Ahoy.

* Clarified the message when using the bones from Restless Ghost on an altar or the bone grinder.

* Reduced the XP given when thieving from certain chests in the Thieves’ Guild.

* You will now get consistent messages when watering fruit or tree saplings.

* Beavers will no longer attempt to chop down tree trunks.

Dungeoneering

* The anti-poison totem now works against enchanted emerald bolts.

* Corrected the examine info for bound celestial gloves.

* Boosted Agility now replenishes you run rate correctly in Daemonheim.

* Stopped 2x2 NPCs preventing players entering a dungeon room if they stood in the doorway.

* Fixed the bound version of the shadow silk hood.

* Rotated a chest in Dungeoneering so it's not blocked by a pillar.

* Gluttonous behemoth was spelt incorrectly on the Adventurer's Log.

* Corrected the level required message when combining gissel mushrooms and blue crab potatoes.

* Corrected the Dungeoneering item purchase prices in the Adventurer's Log.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Thieving:

We realised the one thing missing from the original Thieving skillcape emote was some actual thieving. Rather than having a bag of gold just appear on the players back, we wanted them to actually take the bag of gold in a suitably sneaky fashion, which is what the new emote does.

HELL YEAH! <3:

Phaper_Plane.png

meh, i can't use the "friends list full" excuse as readily now for why i don't want to add you.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Someone make a .gif please of the skillcapes. I don't have anybody who can show me D:

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Lots of great improvements on the emotes. Especially the firemaking emote.

However the magic emote looks a little worse and the smithing emote just looks odd having pixie dust spray out? I think it had sparks before which was better.

Otherwise all the rest which had improvements look better imo. Especially firemaking. 300% better.

Wouldnt of minded if they took this opportunity to update some of the less interesting emotes, such as slayer.

Yeah, I have the same bug with making the key. It only effects gold it seems as I made a silver key just fine.

Although I suspect that the gold key isn't needed.

Yeah, that is the problem. I already figured it out and made it out of the obvious metal! lol

Still a weird glitch though

Plink_Floyd.png