World Cup 2010 - South Africa!

OldJoe

Nice job by SK (though Greece isn't superb or anything). Too bad I was sleeping so I didn't see it. Second goal was awesome though from the replays I saw.

I'll probably be rooting for them since they're the only east Asian country with a decent chance. Realistically though I'll probably pull for Portugal or Germany. Neither has a great chance but it's possible. And I've got a good Portuguese friend who'd probably kill me if I went against his team.

Oh and go England. :thumbup:

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England? Don't you live in Boston?

First English goal in four ninutes into the game. Sleepy defense. >_>

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

England? Don't you live in Boston?

First English goal in four ninutes into the game. Sleepy defense. >_>

Yeah, but I'm not American and I don't love this place.

Strange goal by Dempsey... :???:

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I figured everybody in New England were super patriotic and anti-English. :P

Yeah, that last goal was pure luck, but still: XD

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Luckiest goal I've seen in a while. If this is the final score we totally deserve to win.

I usually like to go by actual play to determine who "deserves" to win. 45 mins left, so far it's been pretty even in chances and play.

You're entitled to a good keeper (Nigeria) or an unlucky one (England). Either way, so far it's been a reality check for the English: doesn't look to me like they have a world-cup winning team - at least in its current form in the tournament.

as the commentators put it here: "What England lack are individual skills, without Rooney, what would be left?"

draw was fair. bad goalie is bad, goal wasn't lucky. His technique in positioning for the own-goal was terrible. He isn't unlucky in any way, therefore the Americans can't have been particularly lucky. Flat hands, not gripping the ball at all, body not properly behind the ball, he saw the exit of the shot, Green was just terrible in that situation. That doesn't have to do with luck. It's just a bad goalie who couldn't stand the pressure, just like the forwards on the English team couldn't score on 100% chances (mid-keeper hit at least thrice). The Americans couldn't get that far though, but weren't further away from 2-1 than England was.

The Americans didn't look worse than the "Best in the world" players like Rooney in my eyes at least.

A draw is great for the U.S. :thumbsup: I told you the game would be close.

I would laugh if neither England nor the U.S. advanced now because of the draw.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

from possibly the "easiest group in world cup history"?

I'd be surprised if they don't both go through, with 2 wins each from now on :S

from possibly the "easiest group in world cup history"?

I'd be surprised if they don't both go through, with 2 wins each from now on :S

That's why I would laugh. I'm a fan of upsets in all sports.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

as the commentators put it here: "What England lack are individual skills, without Rooney, what would be left?"

draw was fair. bad goalie is bad, goal wasn't lucky. His technique in positioning for the own-goal was terrible. He isn't unlucky in any way, therefore the Americans can't have been particularly lucky. Flat hands, not gripping the ball at all, body not properly behind the ball, he saw the exit of the shot, Green was just terrible in that situation. That doesn't have to do with luck. It's just a bad goalie who couldn't stand the pressure, just like the forwards on the English team couldn't score on 100% chances (mid-keeper hit at least thrice). The Americans couldn't get that far though, but weren't further away from 2-1 than England was.

The Americans didn't look worse than the "Best in the world" players like Rooney in my eyes at least.

Lacking individual skills? Did you see the runs Johnson was making from right back? Gerrard and Lampard are world class players,and if we keep them fit alongside Rooney we have a real shot of going far. I'm not going to lie and say we played our best tonight, but the goal Green let in was a sucker punch we never recovered from. I think we could've gone on to win two or three nil had it not happened, but as it is a draw wasn't a bad result.

Lacking individual skills? Did you see the runs Johnson was making from right back? Gerrard and Lampard are world class players,and if we keep them fit alongside Rooney we have a real shot of going far. I'm not going to lie and say we played our best tonight, but the goal Green let in was a sucker punch we never recovered from. I think we could've gone on to win two or three nil had it not happened, but as it is a draw wasn't a bad result.

Gerard was running the whole midfield for England all night though. Lampard and Terry were completely lost. They were completely taken out by American defenders. What separated Johnson from Donovan for instance? you never had it in the bag before Green either though: it was an even match. Draw is a good result for USA, doesn't matter to England much though: as said before, they will go through, which is all that matters. It did serve as a reality check when compared to how Nigeria / Argentina played today though.

You can have 3 world class players on the English team, but when one Nigerian cans top the insane barrage of chances from the Argentinian aggressive line, (5-6 world class players easily), england looked so far from being the winning side.

Gerard was running the whole midfield for England all night though. Lampard and Terry were completely lost. They were completely taken out by American defenders. What separated Johnson from Donovan for instance? you never had it in the bag before Green either though: it was an even match. Draw is a good result for USA, doesn't matter to England much though: as said before, they will go through, which is all that matters. It did serve as a reality check when compared to how Nigeria / Argentina played today though.

You can have 3 world class players on the English team, but when one Nigerian cans top the insane barrage of chances from the Argentinian aggressive line, (5-6 world class players easily), england looked so far from being the winning side.

USA had two dangerous shots, the one that they scored from and the other that Green saved at his near post. We created a fair few more opportunities and I still think we were on top for significant parts of the game. I recognise that we didn't play at our best.

You don't seem to realise how lucky you actually were? We had you under pressure for pretty much the whole game, we scored a decent goal very early, and you scored a lucky goal due to some freak goalkeeping mistake. As a team we played a lot better than we have in recent friendlies, I was particularly impressed by Johnson and Lennon.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

1276375910143.gif

Lol'd. I don't know how he managed that.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Oh please, England were way better for the whole match, USA got lucky because of the rare goalkeeping mistake. Probably because of the fact that the ball isn't really good this World Cup.

2j3qh46.jpg

No one should be blaming the ball for anything. Everyone has to use it, so its all fair.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

edit - nevermind

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

There's always some characteristic of the match ball that receives criticism, every tournament.

Watched the England - USA match in the pub, pretty good goal by Gerrard but England were unlucky with Green's goalkeeping error. Although i was supporting the USA that match, i'll be surprised if them and England don't get through to the next stage however i don't think the England squad is strong enough to win the tournament.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Scottish people almost always support the rival team rather than England?

Anyway, I doubt that very many Americans even care about our soccer team. A good portion of them don't even know that we have an international soccer team...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Oh please, England were way better for the whole match, USA got lucky because of the rare goalkeeping mistake. Probably because of the fact that the ball isn't really good this World Cup.

That's such an exaggeration. England might have had the edge but it wasn't a slaughter.

As for the ball thing, "A poor craftsmen blames his tools."

If you actually knew the first thing about football you'd of heard there have been plenty of complaints about that ball.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png