An Intelligent Perspective On Botters

Nash

Well I had a blast of fun... and since this is a game... i'll let you figure out by yourself, you seem able enough.

but if im right then people like you are what disgust me about elite runescape players

Which part disgusts you? The amount of time he plays...which is none of your business...or the fact that he tries to clear cheaters from the game?

OR the fact that he has fun playing doing it. ;-)

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feelings after reading the 5 pages:

Yes, I think skilling should make more money, I made a thread recently on that very subject. But Stonewall already pointed out why MHing is riskier and should be rewarded more. And I'm not terribly scared of a "138 Turmoil, Overload, Yak bot" at Bandos. Bandos LS worlds are already packed like 24/7, so a few solo bots wouldn't do much to the price. In fact, I could see myself having some fun crashing them and forcing them to tank. If a worst case scenario happens and all GWD items crash, I can always do TDs/Dks or fall back on one of my skills like 91 RC, which I got primarily for a backup if said worst case scenario happens. But on that line of thought, where are RC bots? Abyssal Demon bots? Spirit Mage bots? TD bots? DK bots? etc. Not really scared of any of those though, as I have a bank worth about 2.9b

You aren't very perceptive are you? Flawless graahking scripts have been out for the past couple years, some of them paid, some of them free. Abyssal demons is a relatively new fad to botters and the only reason they aren't more obvious is because of the 85 slayer pre-requisite. If they can't be bothered to get 85 slayer many botters can also just bot soulwars for 3 weeks and have enough zeal for 85 slayer and then camp abyssal demons. If players actually pay attention to people around them and not always give them the benefit of the doubt you realize the sheer amount of people who bot this game... it's disheartening. I think it's hilarious the number of people who think all of those 1 defense pures with untrimmed hunter capes are actually legit when in fact the vast majority of them botted their stats, and their d claws.

pandapk2.jpg

I am wondering why this thread has not been closed yet, it can't be that tip.it moderators haven't seen it...

Discussions that try to convince others of the usefulness of an illegal activity do not belong on tip.it!

Close please.

You now really sound like a scared person who can't think as an individual being: "help there happens something others said it isn't good, now we have to believe them".

Your answer is more of a reflection of your worldview than a reply to my post, but I will be more explicit:

Having thought individually about the illegal activity of botting, I do not think we (tip.it) should give the proponents a platform to defend their illegal activities while trying to "prove" that they are useful. Using bots is an abuse of the system and unfair to all other players who chose to play the way RuneScape is meant to be played.

Therefore I request that this thread be closed by a tip.it moderator.

Well when you cut the bare bones of it, aren't we all robots? The autos find the pixels of the things they wish to click, and then click them in the order which will perform the activity they wish to complete, whereas we click on the pixels representing the thing we want to click on in the order necessary to do what we want to. We're both created by other humans for specific reasons. Our motivations may be different, but we scape for the same fundamental reason - because we have no other choice.

You might say that robots do not think or feel frustrated that someone is hunting their carnivorous chinchompas, but what makes you so sure that you do? You aren't even sure that you exist. Hell, I'm pretty sure you don't.

I, for one, will no longer stand for this prejudice. RIGHTS FOR THE ROBOTS.

Don't worry, those who bot cannot defend themselves here as if anybody was to admit to botting they would swiftly be banned. This is more of a discussion of how much they effect the game.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

On a world with around 1000 players, you can easily find 100-150 bots running around the various bot infested areas... That gives a 15% population actively botting. Relating this to Tip.It, it means roughly 1 poster out of 7 is a botter/cheater. It's fair to assume that a couple posters on this thread are using bots from simple probability. I'm not gonna point the finger at anyone, but I'm fairly sure that Tip.It harbors some cheaters. We've had some fairly known cheaters in the past and nothing indicates the situation is better these days... far from it.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

First they started botting yews. I did not care because it gave me a cheap 99 fletching/firemaking.

Then they started botting green dragons. I did not care because it gave me a cheap 99 prayer/crafting.

Then they started botting barrows. I did not care because they gave me cheap barrows equipment/runes.

Then they started botting my boss spots, and there was no one around to care because I already made myself out as a selfish [puncture].

MTK maples gave more people cheap FM than bots ever did.

Cheap prayer from dragon bones? What are you smoking?

But I agree with the general point you are trying to make, even if you mangled the specifics.

Botting is not some noble pursuit that keeps prices down for the scaper. It's cheating that exploits imbalanced supply/demand in the game for the purpose of hoarding in-game wealth. It used to be for acquiring real-world wealth, though I think those holes have been mostly plugged.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

First they started botting yews. I did not care because it gave me a cheap 99 fletching/firemaking.

Then they started botting green dragons. I did not care because it gave me a cheap 99 prayer/crafting.

Then they started botting barrows. I did not care because they gave me cheap barrows equipment/runes.

Then they started botting my boss spots, and there was no one around to care because I already made myself out as a selfish [puncture].

But I agree with the general point you are trying to make, even if you mangled the specifics.

Botting is not some noble pursuit that keeps prices down for the scaper. It's cheating that exploits imbalanced supply/demand in the game for the purpose of hoarding in-game wealth. It used to be for acquiring real-world wealth, though I think those holes have been mostly plugged.

If I could pay for college by botting in RuneScape rather then working a real job, I'd do it. Wouldn't you?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

If I could pay for college by botting in RuneScape rather then working a real job, I'd do it. Wouldn't you?

Hell freaking no.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

My personal opion is bots need to be removed, it's unfair that people earn this easy money for no work while hurting the people that are working for their money, and high levels should be able to earn the amount we currently make. People always complain that they don't make very much money skilling. They make just as much as that 138 camping bandos, in proportion. Me and a couple friends can camp bandos for maybe 4 hours and make about 7 - 8mil profit. I've put in over 175 days in game to be able to earn that. Yet skillers complain that they're only making 300k an hour for 10 days in game. Skilling is good money, I got my first full set of bandos by skilling, i made well over 50m from 80 - 99 wc. It took no work click a tree come back a minute later.

If you take in all the factors money is fair.

High levels

- A ton of work went into gaining those levels

- A ton of work went into making the money needed

- Most boss trips we're risking a rediculous amount of money (a bit of lag could end up costing you 30m no problem)

- A lot of attention needed

- A lot of luck is involved, I've had dry streaks of upwards of 15 hours camping at bandos. (not counting resupplying, and getting kc)

Skillers

- Very little work

- Very little money need to start

- No risk

- Very little attention needed

- Garentueed money

Jesus_Statuz.png

Hell freaking no.

Why would you do an illegal activity to pay for your college fund. That's kind of like saying let's set up some fraud scheme to get other people's credit card info and use it to fund your college tuition, because we are not physically harming anybody, and RS is only a game. No matter how small and irrelevant the way that cash comes, if it comes from a illegal activities, its not good. Of course, some people actually mentioned this in other thread before talking about guys making few k of money from RS. I guess the only way to stop people doing this kind of thing is that you would actually get arrested for it (if they can catch you at it).

Back to what Ring World said earlier, botting is NEVER beneficial. When I started playing back in 05, the prices were pretty normal back then even without botters, and the only one that does it do mostly on mining and few wood cut. When large amount of bots influx into the game, it creates a dependency and false demand for people. When that fake supply left by new interventions, people start going to withdraw symptoms on how expensive things has become.

When I was training in RS one day few years back, one of my high level friend told me that she just bought 10k raw lobbies from someone for 210ea. She was very glad to get it for so cheap and want to get cooking 99 over with (that was before exchange and limit trades were introduce). Upon hearing that, I asked her if the person she bought it from is a lvl 3, bald head and wearing green pants with name that doesn't make sense. She pause for a moment, and goes, yeah....... After the incident, I thought to myself, she was one of the respectable high level that I know (hard working and help people a lot), even thought I don't blame her for that deal, but I slowly understand why those bots stay perm in the place after waves of intervention.

Funny how they have the similar debates regarding to organic foods vs "regular" food. Should we eat the food that cost more, but friendlier to environment and they way they are grown, or eat foods that cheaper, but probably worse for us in the long run, and only benefits the big corporations out there (this is just an example, please don't argue on this one too)

a happy Runescaper

YES.

I know there is still some business for runescape gold selling, but I can guarantee that most of the botters now are just for self gain.

Botters are helping you. I'm not saying you should bot, I'm just saying that you should understand that in the long run, they're helping you and I wouldn't report them..

Botters are helping you. I'm not saying you should bot, I'm just saying that you should understand that in the long run, they're helping you and I wouldn't report them..

This confuses me A LOT. To say that its almost like saying breaking that rule yourself is no good, but let someone break the rule for you so they take the blame and keeping the price low is OK. I wonder what would a forum mod or J mod say if they see this kind of response on RSOF

a happy Runescaper

YES.

I know there is still some business for runescape gold selling, but I can guarantee that most of the botters now are just for self gain.

Please explain how botters are helping me enjoy the game when I have to fight them over chins, falconry, green drags...etc? Don't tell me to go monster hunting to gain cash, I know how to gain cash. If I like training at bots infested areas, it's my problem and it pisses me off somewhat that these bots are allowed and even glorified by a lot more tip.iters than 2-3-4 years ago.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

I can say it's not easy for Jagex, either bots ruining gameplay for part of the players or (possibly) bigger inflation ruining the game for another part of the players. Both seeming to be impossible to fight.

My solution: 6428963.png :thumbup:

hell no!

Sephy.png

Why would you do an illegal activity to pay for your college fund. That's kind of like saying let's set up some fraud scheme to get other people's credit card info and use it to fund your college tuition, because we are not physically harming anybody, and RS is only a game. No matter how small and irrelevant the way that cash comes, if it comes from a illegal activities, its not good. Of course, some people actually mentioned this in other thread before talking about guys making few k of money from RS. I guess the only way to stop people doing this kind of thing is that you would actually get arrested for it (if they can catch you at it).

Except there is nothing illegal about botting. It is against the Terms of Service of the game, but not against any real world laws.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

I can say it's not easy for Jagex, either bots ruining gameplay for part of the players or (possibly) bigger inflation ruining the game for another part of the players. Both seeming to be impossible to fight.

My solution: 6428963.png :thumbup:

hell no!

Bots are causing inflation mate.... what do you think happens to drangonhide once it's tanned and crafted? What about yews? Bots are causing inflation and driving prices down on some items.

langerkiller.png

I get college for free broski ;)

Denmark ftw

cheap_labour.png

Woohoo........

Oh come on now your blaming Jagex for botters? Almost all MMO's on the market has botters or will have them if it becomes successful, there is almost nothing developers can do to stop this completely.

This discussion has gone way off topic however. Lets get back on topic of the effect botters has on the game, not what is and isn't illegal as I doubt any of us have law degrees so nothing definite could be said.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Except there is nothing illegal about botting. It is against the Terms of Service of the game, but not against any real world laws.

Botting no, but selling "virtual items" that another company "owns" without their permission is against the Law. The same way with stealing an image off a website and selling that image for real life money is against the law. This isn't limited to just items but accounts too.

Everyone thinks botting is the only way to get cheap resources, but that's not really true. If all the botters would suddenly be removed, prices would rise slightly, but then people would do things that were worth alot to makey GP. The items would then fall back to a normal price. This is a normal price curve on how the economy should act for raw materials. The economy would never let dragon bones be 15-20k. At that point Jagex would step in a make an update to balance this, but they can't do that with bots around.

Bots on the other hand only make a steady downward curve on supplies until they are no longer profitable for anyone. This is the point of no return. What happens when the bots invade your money maker? What happens when you cant find a Corp/GWD/KBD/DK world because every world is full of bots? What happens when bots invade every money maker in the game and there is no way for you as a legit player to make ANY gp at all. Bots don't need you as players to survive, so don't make the mistake of thinking you have an advantage on them.

Saying bots should be ok is like saying its ok that neighborhood kids set the houses around you on fire. It will only be a matter of time before they come for you, and at that point there will be nowhere left to go.

Anyone can one day be great,

Zezima was once a level 3.

All the best footballers were once children with a dream of being on a team.

Chuck norris was once a baby.

oh the things you post...

There is no state or federal laws in any country that say using macros are illegal. So it clearly isnt illegal. Against ingame terms and service YES you found a winner here. But to call that illegal is just lulzworthy.

Illegal or not aside in the real world, it it against the rules in the game, if you play this game, you will have to follow the rules, their rules is the law in the game.

And look at it this way, How many d bones are needed for 99 prayer from 70? around 48k D bones with guilded alter at my level.

Hmm, I am not sure about that, I would probably need 2.5mil normal bones, or 640k big bones for prayer 99, thanks for reminding me that again. I used to hit men in those houses near Remmington bank on end, collecting bones from them, you can probably get full inventory in less than 3 minutes. I once told some lower level player to gather bone for me, they got 1k in 1 day no problem, and I pay them 50k for it (back in 2006). Look how many people that are playing now?

Now how many people gathering bones does it take for 1 person to be able to have the supply needed for 99 prayer? Hundreds. Now with bots gathering 24/7 it creates a supply that can support 1000's of people getting 99 prayer. If there werent hoarders the price of d bones would fall because of that.

Simple, gather the bone good old fashion way, by yourself. You can buy and get bones from monsters I once think that I should just stay in the goblin house and stay in there until my prayer is 99.

So to say that bots don't benefit legit players is just hilarious to me.

We were fine before the bot comes, they came and messed up the price, if they left, people would complain. And again, it's against the rule, enough said.

Also organic vs regular foods arguement is invalid here. Items got by skillers are no different then those got by botters.

It would make some indirect sense as in, if no one bought from bot players (which I figure would be pretty hard), then botters wouldn't even bother gathering resources for any real life gain. The end item is the same, the way getting them is honesty/hardwork vs cheating/devalue.

In fact if Jagex didnt make skilling set up so that only a machine could enjoy it (maybe autistic players too since they enjoy repetition) then people would never have started botting in the first place.

It's just as lawyer often said, its a gray area, you can use tons of points to argue why botting comes a long way, and eventually people come to accept it. I simply abide everything said on the rule book, and don't break anyone of them.

Lastly, the reason why some skill is hard because its long and repetitive, you really can't dismiss it to the point that, well its very boring and repetitive, so lets just get some macro program and let the bots do all the work. Part of the game is to enjoy a variety of skill and switch them around as you play. If you want to get 100k dragon bones in one go and calling that repetitive then, well, that's too bad, you set up a very boring long road ahead.

Which means all the skill, the repetitive one can be done by using macro and achieve 99 that way? So that means, if you ever see anyone with cook 99 for fletch 99 skill cape, or mining, we would assume that they all macro or bought stuff from botters.

a happy Runescaper

@Ring World

I'm just gonna throw it out there and assume you botted your 99 WC and cooking and run a CC of manipulators without proof and make a fool of myself because I consider the assumptions I make to be the truth.

I will also assume you are a bad merchanter because you have bad expensive skills stats.

langerkiller.png