The Rollback Cover-up

pal2002

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get people who bot purposely after getting barrows gloves etc through quests now though to get defence reset to 1.

Then the obvious solution is to reset strength to 1.

uh, no. Although their pure would have crappy stats then, they could just train those str lvls back, so they would end up with stuff like 10 def with barrows gloves and turmoil.

They can end up with 10 def ONLY if they reset the def level.

The obvious point is to finish quests without really training the account, get reset and THEN train str, legit or by botting. Resetting str does nothing.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Would you get notice of the experience being taken off you? Like would they email your ingame account and say "You have been accused of botting (blahblahblah) We are takign away experience that you have claimed" or something?

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Would you get notice of the experience being taken off you? Like would they email your ingame account and say "You have been accused of botting (blahblahblah) We are takign away experience that you have claimed" or something?

No black marks or anything. You just get dc'ed and log in without the lvls

The obvious point is to finish quests without really training the account, get reset and THEN train str, legit or by botting. Resetting str does nothing.

Indeed. People can then always also train their stats again. This resetting is the wrong way to go in many cases.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

It's a bit embarrassing to see all of the assumptions being made on this thread about stat resets. Let's look at it from a different angle, shall we?

• Players can bot their pures/accounts to get specific stats they want.

Unlikely; resetting accounts is a punishment/deterrent alongside permanent bans. Jagex is smart enough to simply ban someone because they wanted a specific type of pure.

• This doesn't deter macroing.

I would adamantly disagree with this point. It demonstrates the futility of macroing, and lets you know that Jagex is well aware of what you're doing with your account. Also, it isn't like those that haven't tried to bot in spite of having stats reset weren't banned, anyway.

• Jagex should return to the old way of punishment.

News flash! Jagex used to reset accounts for botting!

• Jagex makes money from the botters, so they reset them and let them continue.

Jagex only gets money from recurring memberships. They'd terminate any ties with anyone that would bother macroing in a heartbeat - they've done it before.

---

All in all, stat resets are a huge deterrent to anyone that wants to bot in RS. The player's account may or may not be banned at that point, but what's the point of playing on an account that had less stats than it started with two weeks ago?

Just approach it from an unbiased angle instead of the anti-Jagex angle, and this probably isn't a bad idea.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

It's a bit embarrassing to see all of the assumptions being made on this thread about stat resets. Let's look at it from a different angle, shall we?

Unlikely; resetting accounts is a punishment/deterrent alongside permanent bans. Jagex is smart enough to simply ban someone because they wanted a specific type of pure.

I would adamantly disagree with this point. It demonstrates the futility of macroing, and lets you know that Jagex is well aware of what you're doing with your account. Also, it isn't like those that haven't tried to bot in spite of having stats reset weren't banned, anyway.

Jagex only gets money from recurring memberships. They'd terminate any ties with anyone that would bother macroing in a heartbeat - they've done it before.

---

All in all, stat resets are a huge deterrent to anyone that wants to bot in RS. The player's account may or may not be banned at that point, but what's the point of playing on an account that had less stats than it started with two weeks ago?

Just approach it from an unbiased angle instead of the anti-Jagex angle, and this probably isn't a bad idea.

Right, but this is coming from you, a Player ranked in at least one JMod CC, and the CC belongs to the big guy himself, MMG, amongst likely other CCs. Same guy who would defend any decision made by Jagex to the death as seen from previous encounters with you and other ranks in said CC, decisions that were regretted by the JMods in Private Q&A's held at RuneFest that I managed to get my hands on audio of. Jagex isn't the company they make themselves out to be. They don't have to be, so why would they? Why tell the truth and look bad when they don't have to?

So how about approaching it from an unbiased angle instead of a pro-Jagex angle whilst painting it as unbiased.

The only reason why this might be more closely watched now is because they're selling accounts like that. Those 'uber-pures' wouldn't be hard to find. Otherwise, they don't care...or they wouldn't have allowed something like that in the first place. Again, it's only when money is involved does it require that 'extra special care'. Case in point: anti-RWT updates.

Demonstrates the futility of it...while leaving all your money in tact. People knowingly break the rules when they macro. The only deterrent would be nothing less than a ban. And sure, repeat offenders of macroing would get banned. Okay, that's a pretty logical deduction. The only thing this changes is how long it takes to get rid of a throwaway account or how quickly you screw up your main (if you're that dumb.)

And they abandoned that practice for good reason.

I'll pull an Off-Topic here and say...where's your proof? Especially since there's so much evidence to the contrary, the least of which the selfsame thread the OP quoted?

All in all, stat resets are a huge deterrent to anyone that wants to bot in RS.

Which is why people have all stopped botting...right? It has nothing to do with a 'hating jagex' bias. Believe it or not, you can disagree with a company's decision without being on the leftist bandwagon :rollseyes:

hzvjpwS.gif

Perm bans have just about been phased out, for first offence at least.

Recurring memberships? Most botters don't use cc/paypal for their accounts, not only is it more expensive then other methods but it also ties all your accounts together. Recurring or not, they won't say no to $5

Seeing as how most ppl can bot for many months without getting caught, and gettng something like 99 str takes <2 weeks...

You're ranked in a jmod's cc, yet are more clueless about the situation then the average player :thumbup:

Guy above me covered most points so there's not much more I could add to this

You get people who bot purposely after getting barrows gloves etc through quests now though to get defence reset to 1.

Then the obvious solution is to reset strength to 1.

No its not.

Even if i was a maxed zerker pure. I would willingly reset my strength to one just to have 1 defence with b gloves and turmoil.

Its not that hard to retrain range/mage/strength.

To be honest, if i just fully quested and THEN botted so my stats were reset, i wouldn't even lose that much in the stats department but gain LOADS of advantages for low def.

Also theres people who actually want 1 strength, like summ tanks.

O.O

botting = deflation :shades:

it is crap tbh, jagex needs to slam the banhammer the 1st time you get caught macroing.

but honestly. Think outside the box. Think real world, its obvious money is a problem in our day and age so maybe jagex is just securing themselves financially (only reason i can explain the cover up conspiracy)

damn the tuition hikes and obamacare!

:blink:

I actually agree with what Jagex is doing. This is the only way to preserve the game. Botting is out of control. At this poitn in the game, botting is essential to Runescape. Imagine if 90% of all raw materials were gone. Imagine if SW was a game of 50 or so people. Imagine if half of the Runescape population vanished.

There is no reason on their part to try and stop botting. They simply are trying to integrate it in a way which won't cause dramatic problems. At least this way they will keep making money and keep Runescape alive for a few more years. After all, we are at a crossroads. The game, as it was originally designed, has been maxed out. Everything Jagex has done has been beaten. There is nothing else to do. Banning bots in a time where other companies are thriving would be suicidal.

Ofc, this cover-up was designed well too. Look at how many kids believe this. Bots can edit your account? Botters can't even dream of making a bot that does this.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Right, but this is coming from you, a Player ranked in at least one JMod CC, and the CC belongs to the big guy himself, MMG, amongst likely other CCs. Same guy who would defend any decision made by Jagex to the death as seen from previous encounters with you and other ranks in said CC, decisions that were regretted by the JMods in Private Q&A's held at RuneFest that I managed to get my hands on audio of. Jagex isn't the company they make themselves out to be. They don't have to be, so why would they? Why tell the truth and look bad when they don't have to?

So how about approaching it from an unbiased angle instead of a pro-Jagex angle whilst painting it as unbiased.

That's a beautiful looking red herring there. Never saw one with red and gold stripes before.

I think I'll keep my hands clean, and say that I did approach this in an unbiased light. I don't see how you've demonstrated that I haven't.

This doesn't deter macroing.

Demonstrates the futility of it...while leaving all your money in tact. People knowingly break the rules when they macro. The only deterrent would be nothing less than a ban. And sure, repeat offenders of macroing would get banned. Okay, that's a pretty logical deduction. The only thing this changes is how long it takes to get rid of a throwaway account or how quickly you screw up your main (if you're that dumb.)

How would one know that one's wealth is left intact if they were indeed reset?

Jagex should return to the old way of punishment.

Maybe they revisited it and decided to give it another try. My point here was to state that Jagex did, in fact, used to reset for botting - so many people forget that. Why they abandoned it, or for what reasons they did, is immaterial to that point.

Jagex makes money from the botters, so they reset them and let them continue.

I'll pull an Off-Topic here and say...where's your proof? Especially since there's so much evidence to the contrary, the least of which the selfsame thread the OP quoted?

Hmm...maybe I can't explicitly prove it. It would make canonical sense to disallow anyone found guilty of macroing from coming back to the game, though. I'll concede the point, then.

Which is why people have all stopped botting...right? It has nothing to do with a 'hating jagex' bias. Believe it or not, you can disagree with a company's decision without being on the leftist bandwagon :rollseyes:

There will be those that continue botting, there's no doubt in my mind about that. What I'm saying is that this will deter the players that don't want to risk their high leveled accounts.

And you know this...how? A permanent ban still can be used on first offense; resetting accounts can be done randomly/sporadically and at their choosing.

I don't ever recall Jagex having a definitive structure for punishing people; the severity of the rule breaking usually meant the severity of the punishment. If they feel like a perm ban is warranted on a first offense, then so be it.

Seeing as how most ppl can bot for many months without getting caught, and gettng something like 99 str takes <2 weeks...

"Not getting caught" is subjective. For all you know, Jagex already has the player dead-to-rights (so to speak); they're just doing follow-up investigation on any other accounts the player has.

You're ranked in a jmod's cc, yet are more clueless about the situation then the average player :thumbup:

What's being ranked in a JMod's CC have to do with anything?

------

And I'm done. I've said my piece on the matter, I'll leave it at that.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

None of the people who had their stuff reset (and were open about it) reported losing wealth. One could quibble over whether or not they're lying but at this point what reason would they have to lie? They were already caught. But I have no verifiable sources on that, I'll admit.

What I'm saying is that this will deter the players that don't want to risk their high leveled accounts.

Not as much as it had before though. Before, it was an absolute zero tolerance policy. Now people can safely bot knowing they're only losing 1 skill instead of an entire account. And they can even reasonably get away with it, too! I'm sure we all know 'that friend' who botted and never got caught, regardless if we reported them or not. Wouldn't the efforts here be better spent in improving bot detection and staying the course then? It just doesn't make any sense.

hzvjpwS.gif

That's a beautiful looking red herring there. Never saw one with red and gold stripes before.

I think I'll keep my hands clean, and say that I did approach this in an unbiased light. I don't see how you've demonstrated that I haven't.

Bash Jagex then. See how long you stay ranked.

This doesn't deter macroing.

It is fairly well known that Jagex only resets skills, usually to 10.

Jagex should return to the old way of punishment.

Maybe they revisited it and decided to give it another try. My point here was to state that Jagex did, in fact, used to reset for botting - so many people forget that. Why they abandoned it, or for what reasons they did, is immaterial to that point.

Jagex sent people to the pit of no return or reset because they were desperate or could not ban. In the early days of Runescape, they could not simply delete accounts, nor start dropping players. You need money to start a business. Once they were successful enough, banhammers dropped.

Jagex makes money from the botters, so they reset them and let them continue.

Hmm...maybe I can't explicitly prove it. It would make canonical sense to disallow anyone found guilty of macroing from coming back to the game, though. I'll concede the point, then.

There will be those that continue botting, there's no doubt in my mind about that. What I'm saying is that this will deter the players that don't want to risk their high leveled accounts.

I'm a level 136, and personally I would choose reset over ban.

And you know this...how? A permanent ban still can be used on first offense; resetting accounts can be done randomly/sporadically and at their choosing.

I don't ever recall Jagex having a definitive structure for punishing people; the severity of the rule breaking usually meant the severity of the punishment. If they feel like a perm ban is warranted on a first offense, then so be it.

Perm bans have been phased out. Botting fishing is just as bad as botting woodcutting. I would like to see if you have an example of someone who has been banned recently.

"Not getting caught" is subjective. For all you know, Jagex already has the player dead-to-rights (so to speak); they're just doing follow-up investigation on any other accounts the player has.

Jagex bans accounts on an account by account basis. They do not investigate other accounts you may or may not have. Point is, you get away with it or you don't.

You are defending them. You would not say these thinigs otherwise. While there is no hard proof either way, the fact of the matter is Jagex is desperate for money.

------

And I'm done. I've said my piece on the matter, I'll leave it at that.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Take a look at a few botting forums and you'll see. Jagex basically transitions between different methods of trying to deal with bots, and now they're almost exclusively resetting. There is almost no correlation between severity of botting and the 'punishment'. Back when they were giving out temps, even the guys that botted multiple 99s 24/7 also got temps. Can't get any more 'severe' then that. Now all you see are resets. I haven't even seen any threads about perm bans these past few weeks...except from those that submitted bug reports about their resets :thumbup:

I'm sure they still happen, but not nearly as often as a few months ago.

They don't follow up on that. They don't look at ip or anything of that sort. A few years ago they banned by uid, but for whatever reason they stopped doing that. So if you bot on 1 account your main or any other accounts you have are safe.

Similar to being a pmod in game...any position of authority should assume you know a fair bit about the game and where things stand.

Yes, you'll keep your hands clean simply because you're afraid to get them dirty and find out something you don't want to hear or acknowledge. Heaven forbid a company as perfect as Jagex make a mistake in the way they handle things. The world might come to an end if something like that happened! Or maybe it's just the blatant favoritism they showcase to those who kiss the right amount of ass to get into the company's good light.

I have a list of over twenty individuals, all with direct E-mail correspondence with various Jmods, some of which are the top bug abusers, which Jagex openly negotiates with, and does favors for, like unbanning accounts of their choosing. Not what I would call too professional for a company.

Maybe when Jagex as an entity can begin to come clean with some of their tactics and methods is the moment they start winning people over again. Until then, the ranks and PMods are told what to say and what not to say. I've seen it all, and I'm not the only one who has. (read: DAMAGE CONTROL)