The Rollback Cover-up

pal2002

Unfortunately, this is a game... Not a democracy...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what would be really funny? Jagex should be able to modify a botting account so that neither XP nor raw materials are gained. They should let the macros just stand there and run endlessly and laugh up their collective sleeves when the macroer checks his bank and stats a few hours later.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I can't understand their reasoning for this outside of them being a business. It ruins the game experience for everybody else and is no deterrent for botters. Perm bans may not have caught everybody, but they stopped people botting on mains too much due to fear of the ban. Now what do they have to fear? Spending an extra day botting?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I can't understand their reasoning for this outside of them being a business. It ruins the game experience for everybody else and is no deterrent for botters. Perm bans may not have caught everybody, but they stopped people botting on mains too much due to fear of the ban. Now what do they have to fear? Spending an extra day botting?

How does it ruin your game experience?

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

How does it ruin your game experience?

Training/gathering areas filled up by bots, effects on the economy due to an artificially inflated abundance of certain goods, disadvantage to gatherers, etc.

I worry about myself, people will always cheat for fun and money in all games.

I think it'd be hilarious to set up an alternate account to bot to 99 fishing, get reset, and walk around with 1 fishing with a skillcape.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Everyone agrees to the Terms and Conditions before you first set foot in Runescape. In those Terms and Conditions, you promise not to cheat by macroing and you acknowledge that doing so results in a complete, permanent ban. Thus, anyone who bots is under full knowledge of the risks.

I completely disagree with the "first-time offender" or "different circumstances" crap. I don't care if they botted the first time, second time, or over 9000th time. I don't care if they botted for 1 level, 10 levels, or 99 levels. I don't care if they got 100k of it, 1m of it, or 1b off it. The circumstances of botting are completely irrelevant. The player, in this case, must be completely removed from judgment. Only a player's actions must be considered, not his or her money, previous offenses, or RL condition, or whatever the hell else they use to justify this crap.

You bot, you get banned. It's extremely simple.

You need only take a look at the official rules to see Jagex's hypocrisy, idiocy, and complete disregard for what is correct.

"Our policy has always been that we do not tolerate any form of cheating."

You know what would be really funny? Jagex should be able to modify a botting account so that neither XP nor raw materials are gained. They should let the macros just stand there and run endlessly and laugh up their collective sleeves when the macroer checks his bank and stats a few hours later.

That would be a REALLY nice idea :lol: though I think a bank wipe would fit better for this situation.

As for Jagex, it's about time you made this confirmation. Now start the perm banning already.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I truthfully don't know what to think about this situation. It does create grief for players who have played legitimately and have had rollbacks, but it creates a better opportunity to produce more updates.... But recently the updates have for the most part been lacking, so I am leaning towards the bad side of this.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

This is absolute trash. Whatever happened to the public excommunications? Here's a list of 100 accounts that cheated, each with more than 100 million experience and 800 hours logged. Look at them, shame them.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Everyone agrees to the Terms and Conditions before you first set foot in Runescape. In those Terms and Conditions, you promise not to cheat by macroing and you acknowledge that doing so results in a complete, permanent ban. Thus, anyone who bots is under full knowledge of the risks.

"You must not use other software to gain an unfair advantage in our games."

They've defined "other software" as

"This includes automation tools, macros, bots, or auto-typers."

and "unfair advantage" as "

You may not circumvent any of our mechanisms designed to automatically log out inactive users.

You also must not use any game-specific, third-party software that encourages breaking of our rules, or bypasses the normal navigation of our website, or automatically requests pages from our website, or which endangers user accounts."

Either they havent defined unfair advantage and then it's open for interpretation, or I just miss the part about the "Do not use third party software which engages in gaming activities instead of the user himself"

EDIT: Now when I think about it ... botting does prevent you from logging out ...

I truthfully don't know what to think about this situation. It does create grief for players who have played legitimately and have had rollbacks, but it creates a better opportunity to produce more updates.... But recently the updates have for the most part been lacking, so I am leaning towards the bad side of this.

Does it? I think the legitimacy of this point has been somewhat presumed - we've not seen any accounts showing correlation between this policy and an increase in Jagex's profits. For all we know, they've invested more into macro detection than is being gained by keeping accounts open, in which case, the potential for producing new updates lessens.

When Dungeoneering came out, there was a bug allowing Members to do the Agility room in F2P.

Some pure F2P players (3 of them are ranked in the top 250 F2P list) did get level 2 Agility because of the xp sharing system.

Jagex clearly stated that they wont ever remove/change experience. So what the hell are they doing now? <_<

They stopped perm banning bots and don't help honourable players anymore...

This isn't fair at all :angry:

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

"You must not use other software to gain an unfair advantage in our games."

They've defined "other software" as

"This includes automation tools, macros, bots, or auto-typers."

and "unfair advantage" as "

You may not circumvent any of our mechanisms designed to automatically log out inactive users.

You also must not use any game-specific, third-party software that encourages breaking of our rules, or bypasses the normal navigation of our website, or automatically requests pages from our website, or which endangers user accounts."

Either they havent defined unfair advantage and then it's open for interpretation, or I just miss the part about the "Do not use third party software which engages in gaming activities instead of the user himself"

EDIT: Now when I think about it ... botting does prevent you from logging out ...

http://www.runescape.com/rules/rule_third_party_software.ws#what

Right, time to bot defence on my turmoil pure.

But seriously, jagex is so out of touch with there pking playerbase that they probably don't even know that they are actively encouraging people to bot. Ive seen 10 defs with turmoil, level 3's with b gloves, the sort of thing that makes pkers have wet dreams and would make people WANT to bot.

I really don't care that much if jagex doesn't ban botters that often, but don't encourage it.

Would be nice to perm ban them from P2P worlds along with the resetting of exp.

Plink_Floyd.png

Right, time to bot defence on my turmoil pure.

But seriously, jagex is so out of touch with there pking playerbase that they probably don't even know that they are actively encouraging people to bot. Ive seen 10 defs with turmoil, level 3's with b gloves, the sort of thing that makes pkers have wet dreams and would make people WANT to bot.

I really don't care that much if jagex doesn't ban botters that often, but don't encourage it.

Would be nice to perm ban them from P2P worlds along with the resetting of exp.

But then they don't get their 5 dollars a month!

If anything, Jagex only excourage botting by reseting accounts. I would love a 5 constitution account or turmoil/other items that require levels that were gained before the stats were reset.

*sigh* oh well.

You get people who bot purposely after getting barrows gloves etc through quests now though to get defence reset to 1.

Then the obvious solution is to reset strength to 1.

You don't understand what anyone is talking about, do you?

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

You get people who bot purposely after getting barrows gloves etc through quests now though to get defence reset to 1.

Then the obvious solution is to reset strength to 1.

You don't understand what anyone is talking about, do you?

He meant that if str pures care about strength not defense, they can punish them by erasing the strength level (regardless if it was botted or not) if they bot on defense thus killing the purpose of the character.

Then they train str again and still have their barrow gloves and turmoil :wall: :wall: .

IF Jagex erases the STR level NOT the DEF level they'd still have the DEF level. They might have their b-gloves and turmoil, but they won't have 10 DEF.

I might be mistakin' but the idea was to bot def so you'd have high str character with low def and all the benefits from the high def level (mostly quest requirements), so leaving the def and removing the str would cripple the character.