Dungeoneering's Impact on the Community at Large

Low C

The problem with having variety is that the rushers and non-rushers are forced to intermingle, so problems arise, expectedly. When the two groups mix (which they do every single day on 117, 148, and even 3BO), the non-rushers essentially force the rushers to spend extra time that they might not have. It's actually very selfish of them, inherently. In a perfect world, the two groups would be segregated, but this isn't the case, so it makes more sense for non-rushers to just get with the program and rush for the greater good.

In a nutshell:

1) When non-rushers slow rushers down, one party gets hurt.

2) When non-rushers suck it up and rush with rushers, both parties benefit.

It's a pretty simple decision, really.

I thought it was pretty intuitive that Rushers -> 3bo, nonrushers -> 117. I rush, therefore I never touch 117. Never really have a problem except for maybe 1 person in a given week.

Uh, no. 117 = chickens running around with their heads cutoff. 117 is not a non-rush world, it's a "we don't know what we're doing" world. From what I understand, the quality of 3BO teams is slipping very fast, so it's no longer synonymous with pro-rushing. 148 is supposed to be a rush world, but I would actually say that it's become a non-rush world for the most part, which is very odd considering its origins.

w53 is still generally ~25-30 minute a floor. Definately a drop off from pre-FT, but it's still tolerable. w148 also had some 3bos leaking into it seeing as its hard to get teams in 53 nowadays so 148 quality is actually getting a bit better. I'd still say w117 is a non rush world seeing as people make full katagon/gorganite + worldbearers

120dgl.jpg

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with having variety is that the rushers and non-rushers are forced to intermingle, so problems arise, expectedly. When the two groups mix (which they do every single day on 117, 148, and even 3BO), the non-rushers essentially force the rushers to spend extra time that they might not have. It's actually very selfish of them, inherently. In a perfect world, the two groups would be segregated, but this isn't the case, so it makes more sense for non-rushers to just get with the program and rush for the greater good.

In a nutshell:

Actually, when I went to world 117 last time, I found a pair of level 138s advertising "Floor 37 non-rush 5:5!" I figured if you want to rush, you don't join a team that's advertised as non-rushing, and vice versa... incidentally, I joined the 138s and the dungeon actually went pretty smoothly.

Also, non-rushers don't necessarily benefit from rushing. Assuming they are there for the maximum XP/hour is rather asinine.

Also, non-rushers don't necessarily benefit from rushing. Assuming they are there for the maximum XP/hour is rather asinine.

+1

I'd rather have a 45 min dungeon that is fun and relaxing with nice people than a 35 min dungeon that is stressful, nervy and full of bickering.

Interesting points, my play style personally is to set goals as a keyer and team-mate in a dungeon. I look at this skill as a way to push myself to new limits, which is why I key as many floors possible. When I key If someone isn't helping the team it is irritating, dungeoneering is a team skill when you decide to put yourself with 4 other people who are relying on you just as heavily as each other to finish a floor without stress and hiccups within the floor. When I refer to hiccups I mean someone skilling while 3 other team members waste all their food doing a hard guardian door full of shades. One person is benefiting while the rest of the team suffers. This is why I believe if you want to take a dungeon slow and skill, then be courteous and find 4 other members with your same mentality. I am going to add a poll now to the thread as to whether or not you would rather do 20-30 minutes floors or 45-60 minute floors.

Low_C.png

Interesting points, my play style personally is to set goals as a keyer and team-mate in a dungeon. I look at this skill as a way to push myself to new limits, which is why I key as many floors possible. When I key If someone isn't helping the team it is irritating, dungeoneering is a team skill when you decide to put yourself with 4 other people who are relying on you just as heavily as each other to finish a floor without stress and hiccups within the floor. When I refer to hiccups I mean someone skilling while 3 other team members waste all their food doing a hard guardian door full of shades. One person is benefiting while the rest of the team suffers. This is why I believe if you want to take a dungeon slow and skill, then be courteous and find 4 other members with your same mentality. I am going to add a poll now to the thread as to whether or not you would rather do 20-30 minutes floors or 45-60 minute floors.

Just want to point out, a poll alone doesn't tell the whole story. Anyone can key less than 20 minute DGs by suicide keying (had a 14 minute large because a 200m xp keyer was keying it and suicided the whole way). 60 minute also doesn't necessarily mean it can't be fun. I mess around occasionally with clanmates of mine who needs to get a chaotic weapon by going at their pace getting familiars I would otherwise never make and getting full tyrano along with my hex hunter just to see what I can do with it (Watching them Gawk at my constant 550s+ on bosses is fun). I just as easily can finish dungs (although since I got the hhb I have refused to key unless I'm with friends only. No prime plate = keyer's hell) in under 20 when I want to but it is just fun sometimes going with friends and messing around.

Basically what I'm saying here is don't assume everyone wants to finish floors in under 20 minutes and be "uber pr0z" at dung getting on runetracker's top 42 xp gain every day. You assuming everyone wants that is just as annoying as they are to you when they clearly show you that they just want to relax and finish a floor at their own pace.

120dgl.jpg

+1

I'd rather have a 45 min dungeon that is fun and relaxing with nice people than a 35 min dungeon that is stressful, nervy and full of bickering.

false dichotomy

you can have fun and relaxing fast dungeons with nice people, and you can have stressful nervy slow dungeons full of bickering.

I find rushing dungeons to be fun. The reason for that is at lvl 94 DG, I get on average around 80k per dungeon (averaging the ~100k floors like 44-47 and the ~70k floors from 33-38), so getting 160k an hour (assuming two dungeons can be completed in an hour or a little more than an hour) is fun to me because it's rewarding. I like seeing those "+80,000" bubbles pop up, and doing it in a decent time span of ~30 minutes per floor gives me a sense of accomplishment.

td2sig.jpg

Just give people the accepted basics on how to dungeoneer properly - which in this case actually means learning what it means to rush/methods for keying doors - then let them find their own style of playing from there. Think of it as something like, eh, a boot camp. That should be enough room.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

What bothers the hell out of me more than ANYTHING else in DGing are the quitters.

You spend twenty minutes on a floor and then have some bad luck due to door lag or mages de-hooding you and you die. On the higher floors, that's about 15k exp you lost from that death. A lot of randoms will go "FFS MY EXP!!!11" and quit the floor after one death.

Hello, dumb ass: you just wasted twenty minutes of your life because you got NO tokens for that and you probably only got <10k exp from that, too. When will people learn that when they quit halfway through a floor, they're sacrificing a whole lot more exp/hour than just the piddly 10-15k they lost because of dying? :rolleyes:

td2sig.jpg

In a nutshell:

Actually, when I went to world 117 last time, I found a pair of level 138s advertising "Floor 37 non-rush 5:5!" I figured if you want to rush, you don't join a team that's advertised as non-rushing, and vice versa... incidentally, I joined the 138s and the dungeon actually went pretty smoothly.

The only measurable benefit of training dungeoneering is in the form of experience and tokens. Rushers get experience and tokens much faster. I'd say that makes rushing irrefutably beneficial. However, you're right that rushers should not join teams advertised as non-rush. It's unfortunate, though, that no-one advertises whether or not they're rushing, which is part of the problem. Thus, it should always be assumed that teams are rushing, as it's the most logically beneficial option for everyone on the team, regardless of preference.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

In a nutshell:

The only measurable benefit of training dungeoneering is in the form of experience and tokens. Rushers get experience and tokens much faster. I'd say that makes rushing irrefutably beneficial. However, you're right that rushers should not join teams advertised as non-rush. It's unfortunate, though, that no-one advertises whether or not they're rushing, which is part of the problem. Thus, it should always be assumed that teams are rushing, as it's the most logically beneficial option for everyone on the team, regardless of preference.

Just because you can't measure fun doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Believe it or not, there are people who Dungeoneer because it's fun for them. They shouldn't have to lie down and die because you want to dungeon a different way for them. Dungeoneering is a lot like Stealing Creation. Some people enjoy fast SC, some people prefer the normal style of SC. Fast SC is better for rewards, which is the only measurable benefit. The people who prefer fast SC or only want rewards go to a private chat/clan. Why can't Dungeoneering follow suit?

Just because you can't measure fun doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Believe it or not, there are people who Dungeoneer because it's fun for them. They shouldn't have to lie down and die because you want to dungeon a different way for them. Dungeoneering is a lot like Stealing Creation. Some people enjoy fast SC, some people prefer the normal style of SC. Fast SC is better for rewards, which is the only measurable benefit. The people who prefer fast SC or only want rewards go to a private chat/clan. Why can't Dungeoneering follow suit?

That is what's happening, but unfortunately because DG is a skill and not a minigame people outgrow and move on after it, making the community very splintered, confused, uneducated, and uncoordinated in general. That's fine if you're just [bleep]ing around, but for those who do want faster exp unless this new cc continues it's not so easy. And no one has said "Go die in a fire inefficient DGer's", but they have said "Move [bleep], get out the way." Lastly fun does exist, but because it's entirely subjective it's not very productive to discuss its impact, some people have fun making full novite and others have fun suicide keying 15 minute dungs; don't assume that fun means casual.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

That is what's happening, but unfortunately because DG is a skill and not a minigame people outgrow and move on after it, making the community very splintered, confused, uneducated, and uncoordinated in general. That's fine if you're just [bleep]ing around, but for those who do want faster exp unless this new cc continues it's not so easy. And no one has said "Go die in a fire inefficient DGer's", but they have said "Move [bleep], get out the way." Lastly fun does exist, but because it's entirely subjective it's not very productive to discuss it, some people have fun making full novite and others have fun suicide keying 15 minute dungs; don't assume that fun means casual.

I didn't assume fun means casual. Please take the time to actually read my post.

Dungeoneering is a lot like Stealing Creation. Some people enjoy fast SC, some people prefer the normal style of SC. Fast SC is better for rewards, which is the only measurable benefit.

Also, I'm not arguing against this CC at all. I'm arguing against people like Obtaurian saying that people who don't want to rush should stay away from the DG worlds and public DG teams, because I feel it should be the opposite. If you want to play in a specific manner that requires everyone to play along with it, you should go to a clan chat (like the one discussed in this thread) of like-minded players. Not tell people who play the way they like to follow your way because you think it's better.

That is what's happening, but unfortunately because DG is a skill and not a minigame people outgrow and move on after it, making the community very splintered, confused, uneducated, and uncoordinated in general. That's fine if you're just [bleep]ing around, but for those who do want faster exp unless this new cc continues it's not so easy. And no one has said "Go die in a fire inefficient DGer's", but they have said "Move [bleep], get out the way." Lastly fun does exist, but because it's entirely subjective it's not very productive to discuss it, some people have fun making full novite and others have fun suicide keying 15 minute dungs; don't assume that fun means casual.

I didn't assume fun means casual. Please take the time to actually read my post.

Sorry, I did read your post but apparently misinterpreted it. All I was trying to say is that some people's way of having fun is rushing a dung, which interferes with a casual playing style while others like to be casual which interferes with a rushing playstyle; both sides can share equal blame for ruining/wasting the other's time.

Dungeoneering is a lot like Stealing Creation. Some people enjoy fast SC, some people prefer the normal style of SC. Fast SC is better for rewards, which is the only measurable benefit.

Also, I'm not arguing against this CC at all. I'm arguing against people like Obtaurian saying that people who don't want to rush should stay away from the DG worlds and public DG teams, because I feel it should be the opposite. If you want to play in a specific manner that requires everyone to play along with it, you should go to a clan chat (like the one discussed in this thread) of like-minded players. Not tell people who play the way they like to follow your way because you think it's better.

The thing is that the "specific style" of DG rushing is a lot more universal and thus should be what's expected; if people DG for fun then what they'll do one of a myriad different things. It would make more sense for a more universally applicable system to be the open and public one and the more specific one to be coordinated in clan chats, but I digress that will never happen.

EDIT: And, like before, those people who are doing their own thing when a rusher is trying to coordinate everything is just as guilty of trying to conform the other to his playstyle as the rusher.

MOAR EDIT: I suppose one could argue that because the rusher requires coordination and communication more than the causal player that they're "forcing" their playstyle more, but that doesn't cut it for me. If someone joins a TEAM I expect them to show TEAMWORK and actually cooperate with one another. If you want to go and do your own thing and have fun then go solo; and if you make the argument that soloing is worse exp then obviously you do care somewhat about efficiency, and are thus just being a leech trying to teams getting things done faster.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

In reference to the poll, I actually fall somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

I do spend time making armour if I can, or skilling if I need, but I'll also play as efficiently as I can within those ideas. I don't hang around the base doing very little while people are out clearing GDs. I keep with the action as much as I can, trying to advance the level at a decent pace.

I've never played with 'super efficient' people where you've no time to breathe, let alone skill, but I've played with people who just know what they're doing and get it done.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I agree with Obt's statement on rushing/no rushing mixing wrongly and Grimy's statement on politeness. It's not polite to not work with the team (you joined, out of free will). If the team attempts to rush, and you don't help, the team will fail. If the team was advertised as rush or no rush, it's impolite to not rush in a rush. Rushing in a no-rush is not bad, however, unless you scold people for not rushing with you. Because rushing is, if you will, stricter than not rushing. More things are not done in rushing. The things that are not done in dging in general (ragequitting, leeching, food hogging) are considered bad rush or no rush.

One problem is that people do not advertise rushing. I'd say not rushing is the exception, partially due to being slower xp/hr. If I see 45+2 I think it's a rush. Trouble is that since some people fail at rushing, they get mistaken for not rushing.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I genuinely feel that non-rushers would like "rush" floors if done with the right team (DGS).

The biggest talking points of non rushers seem to be that they enjoy killing every monster in the dungeon, they enjoy skilling and making things in the dungeon, they want to relax and enjoy themselves, and the occasional golvellius post of "I DG slow to DG slow". However, it seems like these thoughts come from bad past experiences.

I think that if a non-rusher did a few floors with the clan that I use they would have a new perspective on rushing. You can really get all of the benefits that you were looking for as a non-rusher, as well as faster exp, if you are using a good clan/skype. If you like to kill things in the dungeon, that's great. With a good keyer you will almost always have a GD lined up filled with bad guys to kill. If you want to relax and have fun, that's great. Skype calls usually involve the team cracking jokes and goofing off, and as long as you aren't keying, all you have to do is click a few monsters and ggs when asked. You definitely need to pay attention in a dungeon, but if you follow directions, you'll do fine. Skilling is a bit of a different story because there isn't really a point in making things in dungeons. I still find that I gain considerable skill exp though because of the doors that I have to open. If you say that AFKing is fun, then you don't like to play Runescape.

Both rushers and non-rushers are scarred by their past experiences in 117/148. Just remember that you were DGing with the truly terrible there. I challenge all non-rushers to do a few floors with the Dungeonsweeper clan, and I ask any rushers already there to show them what's so great about rushing.

4e0Vn.png

Personally, i try to be as efficient as I can. The moment I feel that doing something, regardless of whether or not it is the more efficient option, makes dungeoneering less enjoyable, that is where I personally draw the line. Basically, I'll be open to trying out things, but once I've tried it and experienced it, I'll make my dungeons as efficient as I can without losing some fun, because in the long run, I will get more out of dungeoneering if I'm having fun and looking forward to doing another dungeon. (ex. I'll rush through rooms that don't need to be cleared, but say there's an altar, I'll clear the room. I'll take my time surging prom/primal warriors to death for drops, I'll key and still help out a bit with killing, I'll abuse GS tele in agility spike room/hard gd's/etc)

Of course, I've found that it is much easier to pull this off if I dungeoneer with friends only, and I've noticed dungeoneering has been much easier to train (and in my point of view, more efficient because I can organize a fairly efficient dungeon beforehand and expect a good amount of exp instead of waiting around for ages on w117/w148 and having to put up with the ragequitters, leechers, AFKers, ignorant people, people who like to just complain endlessly, etc.).

That being said, I really want to at least try DGS, and see if I can learn something new/just have some fun, but unfortunately I'm busy with school this week -.-

Capt_Davy.png AbandonnedHeroKeyer25.png

per usual: fast dungeons and fun are not mutually exclusive! in fact, when everyone knows what theyre supposed to do, dungeons are a lot less frustrating and fun.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

per usual: fast dungeons and fun are not mutually exclusive! in fact, when everyone knows what theyre supposed to do, dungeons are a lot less frustrating and fun.

I never argued against that.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I dg for fun.

If I wanted 60 minute floors then every other floor I would afk until I get kicked at around 30 minutes, then do another floor in 30 minutes, but I find it funner to just do all of them as fast as possible.