End of an Era... probably...

Ts_Stormrage

Sad thread, so much jealousy. Didn't expect it from a lot of you.

I'm sure everyone who replied knows who Woox is even if they won't admit it

and

Woox is just as important as any other RS video maker... Themurder, Bluerose, everyone else... They all accomplished feats. They all did something first, something that you COULD have done but didn't. They aren't just average players.

I'm no fanboy, simply not so much of an [wagon] to reply in such a fashion as so many of you have.

He has perfectly legitimate reasons to quit, too. He didn't even go on some long rampage like so many people do on these forums over the tiniest things.

Really, I won't miss him, but seeing these replies... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

it is not a big deal that he is quitting. hardly an END OF AN ERA

I'll say it again for the morons on this thread that apparently do not get figures of speech and other nuances in the english language...

The "probably..." bit in the title of this thread meands that the statement mate is to be taken with quite a grain of salt... Sarcastic even...

I know it is not the end of an era, nor do I doubt runescape will suffer as over time new people replace older players and eventually everyone will have forgotten how good runescape used to be in the good old days... Arguably...

I also asked a question at the start of the thread, which is one I've been trying to get answered for a while now...

Fortunately, as GaVaTi pointed out rather succinctly, its easy to filter out the responses that are pretty much useless to this topic...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Merchants - which Skone was.

Or because names like Erixson, Sandytrain, I Wicked I, Masterlance, who da best, footballguru, dmxkobe8, zar family 2, levidog, azot, judiacator or any well known fighter from classics are as equally obscure - Ladykilljoy? Zongui? Maniac 666?

PVP, Skillers, merchant, fansite admin, clan leader - it doesn't matter, in time you will be forgotten.

Gearshifter? ;) I used to run from Ladykilljoy though lol :P

It's Zhonghui, I think.

Don't forget T K S and Everdread!

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

and

Woox is just as important as any other RS video maker... Themurder, Bluerose, everyone else... They all accomplished feats. They all did something first, something that you COULD have done but didn't. They aren't just average players.

I'm no fanboy, simply not so much of an [wagon] to reply in such a fashion as so many of you have.

He has perfectly legitimate reasons to quit, too. He didn't even go on some long rampage like so many people do on these forums over the tiniest things.

I'll say it again for the morons on this thread that apparently do not get figures of speech and other nuances in the english language...

The "probably..." bit in the title of this thread meands that the statement mate is to be taken with quite a grain of salt... Sarcastic even...

I know it is not the end of an era, nor do I doubt runescape will suffer as over time new people replace older players and eventually everyone will have forgotten how good runescape used to be in the good old days... Arguably...

I also asked a question at the start of the thread, which is one I've been trying to get answered for a while now...

Fortunately, as GaVaTi pointed out rather succinctly, its easy to filter out the responses that are pretty much useless to this topic...

You created a thread with a title having NOTHING to do with the question you wanted "discussed"

When you read your first post, all we see is stuff about this MHer and his video, you have to actually scroll down to see the small...1 line sentence/question...that is supposed to be your "topic".

What the hell did you expect people to think you were on about?

My opinion on Woox. He was cool, I know about him, watched a few of his videos, thought that they were cool. I wasn't subscribed to him, and overall didn't even care. Him quitting means very little.

As for your question you want answered.

When they stop adding content to the point were I get bored.

well....that was a great discussion, wasn't it?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

[spoiler=Quoting SirIzenhime]

and

You created a thread with a title having NOTHING to do with the question you wanted "discussed"

When you read your first post, all we see is stuff about this MHer and his video, you have to actually scroll down to see the small...1 line sentence/question...that is supposed to be your "topic".

My opinion on Woox. He was cool, I know about him, watched a few of his videos, thought that they were cool. I wasn't subscribed to him, and overall didn't even care. Him quitting means very little.

Nothing? Did you even watch the interview?

And one line? 5 lines explain who woox is, another 3 as well as the vid gear towards the question asked... Stop lying...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

[spoiler=Quoting SirIzenhime]

and

And one line? 5 lines explain who woox is, another 3 as well as the vid gear towards the question asked... Stop lying...

this topic needs to be closed. it's obviously just about woox16 (nobody cares about him quitting bar about 2 people)

to answer your question, jagex probably won't ever cross the line with me. I play the game and deal with whatever updates there are. great discussion value there. derp.

C1Geq.png

What does the interview have to do with the title?

"end of an era... probably..." = interview of a teenager explaining why he quit.?

whoa....I missed something somewhere then

The title doesn't even relate to your question. How is asking me what will make me quit relate to an end of an era?

I meant 1 line literally.

[hide]

1If you do not know who Woox16 is, shame on you.

2(skip this if you do know)

3He is RuneScape's most famous and probably bestest ever PvM-er, having been the first to solo Corp without any bugs, and the first to duo Nex...

5He's made many videos on Youtube of his achievements, many of which are on equal footing with those of other famous players...

9His announcement to quit could very well be the first bouncy pebble that causes an avalanche...

11He has given an interview in which he explains his reasons (see below)

13http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9JvhkqRGmE&hd=1

15Now for the question to answer:

16When will Jagex cross the line for you?

18PS: Just to show how defenseless Jagex has become, the ad in the vid that Youtube put there is one to buy and sell RS gold... DO NOT CLICK IT!!!

[/hide]

Ok technically it's two lines (15 and 16)

My point was, your question was skimmed over very easily, because it was hardly noticeable.

In order to even see the question, you have to scroll down (or at least I did), before people scroll down though, their inevitably going to read the stuff first in the post.

By the time they get to your "topic question", they're all focused on Woox now, and the thread just looks like a whole "OMG, Famous Dood quit....DICUSS!!!!!!"

The "point" you keep criticizing people for missing, is instantly lost at line 1, with the (shame on you) comment. That right there already leads the focus to Woox's popularity and him quitting. Not your question.

Your topic is better suited for the questionnaires section anyways.

question: What does jagex have to do to make you quit

Answers: [insert numerous 1 sentence responses]

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Jagex will have crossed the line the day they allow for gold/items/... to be bought for real money. And with allow, I mean that they offer those services themselves, not some shady third party.

Pretty much this.

Hameigh.png

and

I never heard of him until I opened this thread. I have also never heard of Zarfot or Themurder until I read yours and a few other posts in this thread, and now only know of a name, not what they are known for. There are some people who play the game for fun, and don't pay attention to what other people are doing.

Most of his reasons are definitely legitimate, no doubt, and most of the people that you are targeting with your post didn't say otherwise, they were just stating that the fact that he is quitting doesn't have as great of an impact that the OP and a few others are implying.

As for jealousy? When I was 15, I only spent a couple hours a day on weekdays playing games (mostly runescape), because that was all I could do with my free time those days. For him to be maxed at that age either means he spends little to no free time away from his computer, or bots, neither of which should make anyone jealous.

meleevsarcher.gif

136 Combat, 2290+ Skill Total

Many seem to have disgarded the actual point of the topic:

Now for the question to answer:

When will Jagex cross the line for you?

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

By the time they get to your "topic question", they're all focused on Woox now, and the thread just looks like a whole "OMG, Famous Dood quit....DICUSS!!!!!!"

Which says a helluva lot about the people replying here... Thank you for clarifying that :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Yep. This topic is 99% ragefest, but I don't see how OP didn't see it coming. And since when do you use "probably" to display something as sarcastic or for someone to take something with a grain of salt?

Guy1: Hey man you still going to Nex tonight?

Guy2: Probably

Guy1: Omg you always bail on us wtf...

Doesn't work.

"End of an Era... Right..." would have conveyed your sarcastic point better, but still left little room for discussion.

Trollbomber.png

and

I never heard of him until I opened this thread. I have also never heard of Zarfot or Themurder until I read yours and a few other posts in this thread, and now only know of a name, not what they are known for. There are some people who play the game for fun, and don't pay attention to what other people are doing.

Most of his reasons are definitely legitimate, no doubt, and most of the people that you are targeting with your post didn't say otherwise, they were just stating that the fact that he is quitting doesn't have as great of an impact that the OP and a few others are implying.

As for jealousy? When I was 15, I only spent a couple hours a day on weekdays playing games (mostly runescape), because that was all I could do with my free time those days. For him to be maxed at that age either means he spends little to no free time away from his computer, or bots, neither of which should make anyone jealous.

This a thousand times over. The thread's only discussion point is the question "when will Jagex cross the line for you". That's all he needed to ask. He didn't need to tack on some pointless mush fawning over his opinion of how 4w50m3 this guy is, with the way the author approached the main subject. It's also unlikely that Jagex will ever cross the line with people as far as some in this thread as postulated (for example, allowing people to real world trade) because they are a company looking to satisfy the majority, and the majority does not wish to engage in activities that I would presume lessen the value of their gameplay. So the thread is asking people to imagine what hamfisted move Jagex will commit to get them to quit. And even if those people quit their memberships, a few more will take their place.

Meaning that whatever value the author attempted to assign to the thread is lost, because for one, woox16 quitting has far less of an impact than the author hilariously tries to imply, and two, Jagex doesn't care if they lose a few members over a trivial update because the scope of what could be lost to Jagex is marginalized because they are looking to profit. The thread asks people to answer a question assuming that the update in question is negative, which is of course subjective because it applies on an individual basis.

Many more people could see an update as positive and be compelled to keep playing or join or upgrade to a membership because again, Jagex looks to satisfy the majority. Obviously at times they have to compromise between satisfaction and necessity to keep the game running (the December '07 updates, for example) which would cause an undesirable loss of players, but in the long run, their move satisfies players enough that they keep up a good profit. What's to say an update is so bad that a player (or group of players) will quit forever? It's unlikely. And even if they do, Jagex will hook more to start playing or paying than the amount that quit playing or paying in their place. That's all.

The above, and I have no shame in stating that woox16 having no impact in RuneScape is not a sign of jealousy, because no one could possibly be jealous in the fact that the fourteen year old spent his time levelling on a game in a short amount of time compared to people who, in the same time span over all, have pursued and accomplished more productive endeavors. I play the game for fun; it's a fallacy to assume that I'm jealous of someone who put in more time than me. I know it takes time to achieve a respected level. Why should I be jealous that I spent that time a different way? It doesn't even have to be time spent on RuneScape. Hell, maybe I got a high paying job from an interview in the hour that woox16 soloed the Corporeal Beast.

What's the bigger achievement then?

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Jagex will cross the line for me when they start to hunger for money too much. The community is already a mess as it is. I'm seeing PvP pures and jerks wherever I go, skilling, PvM'ing. It's disgusting.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

and

This a thousand times over. The thread's only discussion point is the question "when will Jagex cross the line for you". That's all he needed to ask. He didn't need to tack on some pointless mush fawning over his opinion of how 4w50m3 this guy is, with the way the author approached the main subject. It's also unlikely that Jagex will ever cross the line with people as far as some in this thread as postulated (for example, allowing people to real world trade) because they are a company looking to satisfy the majority, and the majority does not wish to engage in activities that I would presume lessen the value of their gameplay. So the thread is asking people to imagine what hamfisted move Jagex will commit to get them to quit. And even if those people quit their memberships, a few more will take their place. Meaning that whatever value the author attempted to assign to the thread is lost, because for one, woox16 quitting has far less of an impact than the author hilariously tries to imply, and two, Jagex doesn't care if they lose a few members over a trivial update because the scope of what could be lost to Jagex is marginalized because they are looking to profit. The thread asks people to answer a question assuming that the update in question is negative, which is of course subjective because it applies on an individual basis. Many more people could see an update as positive and be compelled to keep playing or join or upgrade to a membership because again, Jagex looks to satisfy the majority. Obviously at times they have to compromise between satisfaction and necessity to keep the game running (the December '07 updates, for example) which would cause an undesirable loss of players, but in the long run, their move satisfies players enough that they keep up a good profit. What's to say an update is so bad that a player (or group of players) will quit forever? It's unlikely. And even if they do, Jagex will hook more to start playing or paying than the amount that quit playing or paying in their place. That's all.

Well worded, but try hitting enter every once in a while. No offense.

@Plasma, Jagex has already reached that point.

Trollbomber.png

and

This a thousand times over. The thread's only discussion point is the question "when will Jagex cross the line for you". That's all he needed to ask. He didn't need to tack on some pointless mush fawning over his opinion of how 4w50m3 this guy is, with the way the author approached the main subject. It's also unlikely that Jagex will ever cross the line with people as far as some in this thread as postulated (for example, allowing people to real world trade) because they are a company looking to satisfy the majority, and the majority does not wish to engage in activities that I would presume lessen the value of their gameplay. So the thread is asking people to imagine what hamfisted move Jagex will commit to get them to quit. And even if those people quit their memberships, a few more will take their place. Meaning that whatever value the author attempted to assign to the thread is lost, because for one, woox16 quitting has far less of an impact than the author hilariously tries to imply, and two, Jagex doesn't care if they lose a few members over a trivial update because the scope of what could be lost to Jagex is marginalized because they are looking to profit. The thread asks people to answer a question assuming that the update in question is negative, which is of course subjective because it applies on an individual basis. Many more people could see an update as positive and be compelled to keep playing or join or upgrade to a membership because again, Jagex looks to satisfy the majority. Obviously at times they have to compromise between satisfaction and necessity to keep the game running (the December '07 updates, for example) which would cause an undesirable loss of players, but in the long run, their move satisfies players enough that they keep up a good profit. What's to say an update is so bad that a player (or group of players) will quit forever? It's unlikely. And even if they do, Jagex will hook more to start playing or paying than the amount that quit playing or paying in their place. That's all.

Well worded, but try hitting enter every once in a while. No offense.

@Plasma, Jagex has already reached that point.

I laughed, actually. No offense at all taken. My post is edited, by the way, to include paragraph breaks. Wallsoftext are fail.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

A maxed player quit... so? And about jagex finally crossing the line, if he took the stuff jagex does this personally he should have quit a long time ago. Everyone knows/expects jagex to do some stupid stuff.

So i refuse to accept that hes finally had the last straw with jagex and going to WoW now because of it.

And will i ever get fed up with jagex? prolly not because when they do stupid stuff (which they do on the regs) i like to watch 15 y/o kids rage quit :rolleyes:

Jagex crossed the line for me with climbing boots - yet im back here.

I think it will litterally take them selling gold or bonus xp for a real world cost (besides membership fees, they do have the right to make it members only) before I leave runescape for good

Someone stated how you can cancel & renew your membership on DXPW for a fresh 2.7x once you have used up your good multipliers, and that the same trick worked in Sept. 2010 too. So technically you could purchase 2.7x all weekend if you were rich enough, although I can't fathom it as it seems pathetic and impractical.

Trollbomber.png

Jagex will cross the line for me when they start to hunger for money too much. The community is already a mess as it is. I'm seeing PvP pures and jerks wherever I go, skilling, PvM'ing. It's disgusting.

This.

I don't think there was very much good in this "era" anyway.

Woox16 was an idol among PvMers that most PvMers looked up to. Skillers Pkers etc may not of heard of him but he was well known.

Unless Jagex starts selling gold or bots I'll be here until I get bored. I've been through 6/6/06 , free trade , climbing boots. That being said what the [Cabbage] happened to the quality control team for the ROW update? Spring Break? How do you forget to check all the bosses for effects. Some random monster like warped torts constantly dropping shells I'd under stand but corp? That would be the 2nd thing I'd check behind nex.

Someone on page 6 got the main gist of the argument, which is a relief, but everyone else here should just stop bashing the player.

It's clear that you don't give a damn about the player. That's fine; I don't either.

What you should be paying attention to are the reasons.

Players come and go all the time; they have their own personal reasons, and they have their own personal lives to attend to. It doesn't matter who the person was, who they knew, or how high they were ranked in the game - that fades away, and becomes more meaningless with the passage of time. However, if the reasons that the player had left were out of concern for the direction of the company, then that is indeed something to talk about. - especially considering the common trend of player opinion, both here and on the RSOF.

Let's face it. A lot of us have our reservations or disagreement with some direction Jagex has taken. We're all entitled to that. We're also entitled to express that reasoning as well (provided that no information that was to be kept confidential was passed along in the process). While I don't fault Woox16 for quitting, I don't appreciate that he shared information that is not normally public knowledge.

So he's leaving in ~5 days (at the time of writing). That's fine, hope he has fun in doing something else.

---

When will Jagex cross the line? When haven't they crossed the line...I didn't really appreciate the Wilderness/FT polls, nor how they were handled, and that was a huge damper to what I thought the company had going for it. It's like they were making good progress in my mind, then decided to regress a few years to relive the "glory days". -.- There are other, lesser, issues that I've taken with content development and some interpersonal management schema on some ends, but I'd say the catalyst was when I felt that Jagex had thrown their integrity and progress under a bus.

---

Ironic - Woox16 felt that Jagex had lost a lot of their integrity. He was also getting bored. So there you have it - the opinion of a player laid bare about a company that he once enjoyed, and a game that he had "beaten".

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.