04-Apr-2011- Livid Farm

Michael

The time spent getting the spells is fine, it's just that the activity has about 1 minute of content that they expect us to do for 40 hours. With no random element to it and no change at all it gets boring *very* fast. This combined with the fact that it's not AFKable at all (having to pay constant attention means even watching TV isn't really doable) makes it not very fun at all and probably the most grindy thing in this game (even more so than fletching arrows for example, which is a simple repeatable task but doesn't require full attention span).

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people love these things so much?

Time should NOT be a limiting factor: intelligence, and capability to addapt should be the limiting factor in RPGS (after all, they are role playing games, so you should be able to fall into your role).

Time just makes the game a good game for children, as adult you simply don't have the time to spent 40+ hours on a game. (Would take around a month of only doing this...)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Time should NOT be a limiting factor: intelligence, and capability to addapt should be the limiting factor in RPGS (after all, they are role playing games, so you should be able to fall into your role).

Time just makes the game a good game for children, as adult you simply don't have the time to spent 40+ hours on a game. (Would take around a month of only doing this...)

That assumes that you some how possess universally knowledge of everyone's requirements timewise and how much they can give to rs; which we can safely say you do not.

I know plenty of adults who play more than I do, it depends on a huge amount of factors and in all honestly in an mmorpg 40 hours playtime isn't considered a huge amount of effort. mmorpg are meant to eat up time as you play them for years on end. Heck I'm not much of a no lifer and I have clocked up 216 days 21 hours play time, meaning 40 hours = 1/130 of my total play time. I spent atleast 3 times as much on that on other skills tht take grinding and are far less enjoyable.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

That assumes that you some how possess universally knowledge of everyone's requirements timewise and how much they can give to rs; which we can safely say you do not.

I know plenty of adults who play more than I do, it depends on a huge amount of factors and in all honestly in an mmorpg 40 hours playtime isn't considered a huge amount of effort. mmorpg are meant to eat up time as you play them for years on end. Heck I'm not much of a no lifer and I have clocked up 216 days 21 hours play time, meaning 40 hours = 1/130 of my total play time. I spent atleast 3 times as much on that on other skills tht take grinding and are far less enjoyable.

So because you did it, it is good?

Really this whole argumenting seemed to be based on: "we had to suffer, so now new users have to suffer too".

I ask again: WHY should such a thing take so much time?

And yes I do not know the average runescape player, however I do know the average time that is healthy to play on computer games daiily (taking into account time spent at computer at job already). I couldn't care less that you are happy to spent more time on this than is healthy. However I DO care when jagex promotes activities which promote spending a lot of time in this game for no obvious reason.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Given that the entire game is meaningless pixels there is no valid reason to spend any time at all on it other than you want to get meaningless pixel achievements.

It's nothing to do with suffering; if you suffer playing the game don't play it.

Spending 10 hours slaying is not more productive, after all all you did was make some pixels change colour to gain drops that are mere pixels you attribute a value to that does not exist outside the game.

A the whole 'healthy' argument is bs. You can spend something like 14 hours a day at a computer quite safely as long as u take a short break every 3 hours or so and in the rest of the day get reasonable exercise and eat right.

You can't simply say playing on games for more than x time = un-healthy or anti-social or anything. Everybody has a whole heap of different factors that make this result.

As for the why:

Jagex makes money by people playing the game.

Jagex wnats to make people play as long as possible.

There is your why, if everything could be completed in a few months playing a couple of hours a day Jagex would go bust.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Guest TrixStar

Maybe I haven't noticed but i see no negative affect on saying something wrong to Pauline. Whats the point of putting them there if there's no penalty?

EDIT: it also seems to me that this would be very easy to bot :\

negative phrase means she doesn't get energised and u dont get xp or points

Well yes I'm aware but all you have to do is energize her again after you choose the wrong phrase. At least if they prevented you from doing it at all that phase it would make sense to have the wrong options there...right now it's just tedious.

Maybe I haven't noticed but i see no negative affect on saying something wrong to Pauline. Whats the point of putting them there if there's no penalty?

EDIT: it also seems to me that this would be very easy to bot :\

negative phrase means she doesn't get energised and u dont get xp or points

Well yes I'm aware but all you have to do is energize her again after you choose the wrong phrase. At least if they prevented you from doing it at all that phase it would make sense to have the wrong options there...right now it's just tedious.

No it means you have to look what ur clicking, if you click wrong you use up runes with no xp or points gained.

That is the point it costs you for doing it wrong.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

The time spent getting the spells is fine, it's just that the activity has about 1 minute of content that they expect us to do for 40 hours. With no random element to it and no change at all it gets boring *very* fast. This combined with the fact that it's not AFKable at all (having to pay constant attention means even watching TV isn't really doable) makes it not very fun at all and probably the most grindy thing in this game (even more so than fletching arrows for example, which is a simple repeatable task but doesn't require full attention span).

I agree that Jagex could introduce more variation to make it less of a grind. I'm guessing in this instance that simply randomizing the order of the tasks would be more annoying than anything; at least now you can get into a rhythm and comfortably maximize your points per round.

What I dislike are the people posting figures of how Livid Farm costs too much to be efficient, or that x method is a more efficient method of training magic, farming, whatever. It's not meant to be the most efficient method of anything. The only draw are the rewards, and to the people who are willing to spend the time to get them, they obtain a small increase in their abilities ingame. It may not be enough of an incentive for you to personally do it, but then again, this game isn't all about you.

Tact.gif

I agree that Jagex could introduce more variation to make it less of a grind. I'm guessing in this instance that simply randomizing the order of the tasks would be more annoying than anything; at least now you can get into a rhythm and comfortably maximize your points per round.

What I dislike are the people posting figures of how Livid Farm costs too much to be efficient, or that x method is a more efficient method of training magic, farming, whatever. It's not meant to be the most efficient method of anything. The only draw are the rewards, and to the people who are willing to spend the time to get them, they obtain a small increase in their abilities ingame. It may not be enough of an incentive for you to personally do it, but then again, this game isn't all about you.

They probably do so because it's very comparable to the semi-recent herblore habitat, which was at least efficient hunter exp with a miniscule amount of farming and herblore exp added on; seen in that light this new activity seems worse.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

They probably do so because it's very comparable to the semi-recent herblore habitat, which was at least efficient hunter exp with a miniscule amount of farming and herblore exp added on; seen in that light this new activity seems worse.

And Herblore Habitat actually had a lot more useful rewards. A potion which banks ores, a potion that helps you get more herbs from a herb patch (Though, prices went up with it, which is kind of a shame, but still brings in more herbs to the economy.) A potion that can bank logs (If you are cutting teaks, then you might actually get more exp/hour now thanks to this)

These rewards? Teleport to South Falador is almost useless. You can contact the dark mage to get your pouches repaired (Takes a while longer though) Remote farming requires you to check on the herbs/trees anyway. And would not help a lot unless it takes several minutes to get to a patch. Spiritualise food might be useful, seeing as it can restore your familiars. But it might even ruin setups just to be able to do so, and most places would not take too long to get back to with new familiars. Make leather is also close to useless (Ring of Duelling takes you pretty close.) Disruption shield only works against players. Which might make it useful against rusher. Then again, smart rushers might try to get in 1 hit, before they decide to spec instead. And vengeance group would probably be useful for nexing/corping, seeing as they are usually massed.

But, I have to agree: These rewards can, in a few scenarios, be helpful. (Repair Rune Pouch could give you a bit more experience per hour, which is really helpful if you're planning to get 99 runecrafting a bit faster than what you usually would. (But I have no idea if it will save enough for it to be worth getting)

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

I'd rather have them make the game more fun and less repetitive than have them lower our time required to be there to get everything

And if it is fun time will fly by quicker. It is impossible to multi task this boring minigame. I also have trouble differentiating 3 of the 4 in the cure plant menu.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

I'd rather have them make the game more fun and less repetitive than have them lower our time required to be there to get everything

And if it is fun time will fly by quicker. It is impossible to multi task this boring minigame. I also have trouble differentiating 3 of the 4 in the cure plant menu.

I was having trouble at the start as well. Found some details to look for after a while though.

Top left is the only plant with only 1 flower.

Bottom left has 2 big flowers.

Then the two on the right are identical except for the color, so I compare the flower color and see which is darker. The lighter one is the top one and the bottom one is the darker one I think.

I was having trouble at the start as well. Found some details to look for after a while though.

Top left is the only plant with only 1 flower.

Bottom left has 2 big flowers.

Then the two on the right are identical except for the color, so I compare the flower color and see which is darker. The lighter one is the top one and the bottom one is the darker one I think.

Not true you can easily tell all 4 apart.

Top left - you can only see 1 big flower.

Bottom Left - you can see two big flowers, especially when facing north.

Bottom right - Is all splayed apart

Top right - has 1 big flower with 2 small ones tight to it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

it could happen

they lowered chaotics and dung rewards

they made spirit shards cheaper

they raised the droprate on nex

the list goes on, i could see it becoming easier

There are also instances where they didn't make it easier, such as their refusal to weaken nomad.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

it could happen

they lowered chaotics and dung rewards

they made spirit shards cheaper

they raised the droprate on nex

the list goes on, i could see it becoming easier

There are also instances where they didn't make it easier, such as their refusal to weaken nomad.

That's not even kind of the same thing. The examples above are cases where either they simply lowered the amount of time taken to do something.

Nomad is supposed to be a combat challenge. Also: He is ridiculously easy. Did it on my first try using like 5 brews.

Just got the Spiritualise Food spell and here is some information on it.

It can only be cast once per familiar, in other words, you can only heal/boost timer on your familiar once.

There's a two minute limit on how often you can cast it, so if you summon a familiar, use the spell on it, dismiss it and summon a new one, you still have to wait 2 minutes before you can boost the new familiar.

You cannot boost it over it's maximum timer.

Haven't gotten around to test it anymore.

It can only be cast once per familiar, in other words, you can only heal/boost timer on your familiar once.

There's a two minute limit on how often you can cast it, so if you summon a familiar, use the spell on it, dismiss it and summon a new one, you still have to wait 2 minutes before you can boost the new familiar.

Important question: How much of a boost does the timer get? The cynic in me is expecting it to be around five minutes or less, thus rendering this spell practically useless (unless the combat buff is win), as a one time boost of about 10% of a familiar's timer is just not worth the inventory space it takes up.

If it's significant, however, things may change.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

So, basically.... carrying around 1 pouch for a new familure?... or carry multiple runes to waste space.....

siggykv.jpg

I skill. If you skill you should join.

Haven't tested how much it boosts, but I would guess it depends on the familiar, but a 10% boots would be my first guess.

Yeah, I don't see any use of that spell except for maybe playing around in clan wars.

I'm gonna stick to multiple pouches instead.

Haven't tested how much it boosts, but I would guess it depends on the familiar, but a 10% boots would be my first guess.

Yeah, I don't see any use of that spell except for maybe playing around in clan wars.

I'm gonna stick to multiple pouches instead.

What about the "stat boosts"?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I never noticed any difference when letting my Steel titan fight a suqah (or whatever their name is), but that was only for a short period.

I did see a 262 from an attack but not sure if they can deal that much damage already.