TIF is bit over-moderated

There are more rules than just that. And not all of them even meet that one.

The only legit button presses:

Move mouse x in one direction

Left Click

Right Click

Anything that moves to a specific spot for example is against the rules. Especially if you've got it looking for a certain icon :rolleyes:.

Could you show me where moving to a pre-defined spot is against the rules? From what jmod posts I've seen, the primary rule is 1 input=1 output.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick question here. How broadly do you interpret the "no links to macro help sites" rule?

For instance, anybody who was serious about making a bot would learn far more from Wikipedia (and the numerous references within Wikipedia) than they would from TEF. Now, I would suppose that I'd be allowed to link to pages in Wikipedia that have nothing to do with botting (the Martingale system for instance) but not to the autohotkey article. But it seems (correct me if I'm wrong), links to TEF's main page have been removed.

Am I now not allowed to link to Wikipedia's main page?

Castle of Zoltar

Personally, I think that TIF is undermoderated and the RSOF is right on the mark in terms of how strict and policed it is. Perhaps this is partly due to Jagex wanting to uphold certain standards and because the RSOF has a huge number of forum moderators as well as Jagex staff. Either way, I think that flaming - though inevitable on the internet - is nevertheless something that should be discouraged and, in my mind, TIF needs to be a little more Draconian in its policing of threads and so on.

Similarly, I recognise that many encourage the opposite and I can equally see why. As a result, all Mods have the challenge of striking a balance which is, on the whole, done quite well by the TIF staff.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

For instance, anybody who was serious about making a bot would learn far more from Wikipedia (and the numerous references within Wikipedia) than they would from TEF. Now, I would suppose that I'd be allowed to link to pages in Wikipedia that have nothing to do with botting (the Martingale system for instance) but not to the autohotkey article. But it seems (correct me if I'm wrong), links to TEF's main page have been removed.

Erm... :huh:

I can't speak for Tip.It or other websites but if an article on Wikipedia is directly instructing people how to use a piece of software then feel free to send me a PM listing such articles, and I'll look into it, or you can contact the WikiProject directly on there. Wikipedia is not a manual, so there shouldn't be any sections instructing people how to make a bot. Looking at the AutoHotkey article on Wikipedia it does seem to be very low quality (Start-class) so there's a good chance it might need looking into as far as Wikipedia's own guidelines are concerned.

That obviously doesn't answer your question and I'm sure an admin here can answer it instead but Wikipedia's own guidelines mean such a situation should theoretically never come to light since it's the instructing and advertising of bots Tip.It objects to, and neither of those activities are ever condoned on Wikipedia.

You also have to bear in mind several things.

Wikipedia is so well known that it doesn't need advertising.

Linking to wikipedia assumes someone will not be led to anything about AHK. Linking to a forum board, when one reads the board they see things about AHK. You're not going to find that on wikipedia unless you're linked directly to the AHK article which would of course be removed (if it contained instruction).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I do agree with tripsis that standards do need to be maintained for content in outgoing links in signatures.

I do - from my limited knowledge as a user (after getting both sides stories) think both sides could of handled it better. Neither side is perfect imo.

Just to correct your english it is could have handled it better not could of handled it better :rolleyes:

I do agree with tripsis that standards do need to be maintained for content in outgoing links in signatures.

I do - from my limited knowledge as a user (after getting both sides stories) think both sides could of handled it better. Neither side is perfect imo.

Just to correct your english it is could have handled it better not could of handled it better :rolleyes:

How incredibly helpful to the topic at hand. :mellow:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I think a big part of this disagreement is that some of the TIF mods seem to believe that ANYTHING related to AHK is against the rules, when that is simply not true.

I haven't seen a single moderator express that opinion either publicly or in private. The admins have reiterated exactly what is legal and what is not, and there are some legal AHK scripts.

polvCwJ.gif

As far as I know Autohotkey isn't against the rules when used within the "1 input: 1 output" guideline (or if it's only used to remap your keyboard).

So this would mean pressing a key could either

a) Click the screen

b) Move the mouse to a point

Anything more than doing just one of these actions per keypress doesn't fit within the guideline. So you couldn't press a key and have it move the mouse and click because that breaks the input/output guideline. If the program is used to do that it's against the rules.

As far as I know Autohotkey isn't against the rules when used within the "1 input: 1 output" guideline (or if it's only used to remap your keyboard).

So this would mean pressing a key could either

a) Click the screen

b) Move the mouse to a point

Anything more than doing just one of these actions per keypress doesn't fit within the guideline. So you couldn't press a key and have it move the mouse and click because that breaks the input/output guideline. If the program is used to do that it's against the rules.

winner

neo.png01 vet :)

Baby_Neo.png

There are more rules than just that. And not all of them even meet that one.

The only legit button presses:

Move mouse x in one direction

Left Click

Right Click

*Anything that moves to a specific spot for example is against the rules.** Especially if you've got it looking for a certain icon :rolleyes:.

*Good thing that the functions on Grimy's forum move to random, not predefined/specific, positions. They move the mouse to anywhere within the item/button's width and height, not one given pixel.

**Funny, I was unaware that using an imagesearch on my PC was against RuneScape rules. Why exactly do you believe it's against Jagex's rules to locate the position of a button based on imagesearch? And there was one post that mentioned looking for icons which was followed by me saying, "No, I don't use icon/imagesearch."

All the functions on TEF use mathematical formulas to locate buttons and items, not icons.

And one last thing... You're telling me their has to be an action for moving the x of the mouse, and another for moving the y? Lol? Where do you get this stuff?

09144a99bb.png

Darkdude, it's come to my attention that you're making threats to members of efficionados via TIF PMs.

Would you care to stop doing that?

and you guys also really need to stop deleting links to our forums from our signatures if you can't actually prove that our scripts are illegal...

Naaxi.png

Darkdude, it's come to my attention that you're making threats to members of efficionados via TIF PMs.

and you guys also really need to stop deleting links to our forums from our signatures if you can't actually prove that our scripts are illegal...

I can't speak for what other staff members are saying in PM but we have already clearly indicated exactly what the problem is with (some of) the scripts hosted on your forums.

polvCwJ.gif

I can't speak for what other staff members are saying in PM but we have already clearly indicated exactly what the problem is with (some of) the scripts hosted on your forums.

And I have completely clarified that you were incorrect in my post.

None of our scripts use image/iconsearch... Even though there's nothing wrong with it.

No scripts move to predefined positions.

We encourage, and all scripts posted abide by, the 1:1 rule.

Thanks,

Stev.

09144a99bb.png

Unless significant changes have been made to the scripts posted on that thread, what you're saying is false.

You've yet to prove it, yet you're taking action without regards to that.

and there you go again deleting links in signatures without providing proof.

Naaxi.png

Who needs proof when there are no consequences to your actions? They can do what they want as long as they are in the positions they are in. Shame that das stepped down.

C1Geq.png

Unless significant changes have been made to the scripts posted on that thread, what you're saying is false.

TheAncient was sent a detailed pm about exactly what was wrong with the scripts posted.

We've reiterated time and time again that if the offending scripts are removed, links will once again be allowed.

polvCwJ.gif

TheAncient was sent a detailed pm about exactly what was wrong with the scripts posted.

We've reiterated time and time again that if the offending scripts are removed, links will once again be allowed.

And now that they've been removed it takes how long for you to review it as "safe".

09144a99bb.png

A little bit longer then it might have otherwise due to your attempt to hide it from view.

We are reviewing it as I speak and will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.

polvCwJ.gif