Addicted To Runescape

Phyrexial

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself filling most of my free time at home with this game. But, if I have a responsibility or friends just ask me to go out, I usually do it. Although, a few times I have made excuses to stay in. :shades:

This. The only time I let RS "affect" my life is when I agree to do a group event and something non-life-threatening comes up. IE, am DGing, won't leave in the middle of a floor to take the trash out or something miniscule unless there's some serious idle. Contrary to popular belief other players are actual people and previous arrangements should be honored!

I guess the closest I come to addiction is if I'm just watching TV or something I'll feel compelled to do an afk skill like Fishing, but I don't watch TV if I have something better to do so there you go.

2dgucz6.png

I was addicted in the first year that I played. I was in 6th grade

Now it is just casual whenever I am bored from other games

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

"Yeah I was addicited, I used to play 10 hours a day!"

Haha. I played for three days straight then slept. I did this two summers. I would literally play 60+ hours in a row. But I wasn't antisocial. Everyone I knew at the time played RS. This was back in 02-04. Then I went to Uni and stopped playing. Just picked it up again after four years.

cyco_1.jpg

I typically take the oppurtunity to do real life activities with friends and family over RuneScape unless I was really close to a goal. I live pretty far out of town, so activities are limited for me at least (although I can drive :shades:). I'm with Blutters on this one, I push off real-life activities if I'm the middle of a dungeon or a castle wars game (ages ago), but other than that, I welcome the break to take out the trash or something. Do I consider myself addicted? No, because I can quit and have quit multiple times when real life got hectic. Maybe I was back when I was getting my first three 99's back in 06-07, but then again, I'm not sure. Either way, I play because it's fun and a use of my free-time. It's not like I eat pizzas and soda 24/7. In fact, I only drink water, and coffee in the morning, when I scape.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

i used to play at least 3-5 hours a day everyday until my friend scammed me my bank now i play 5 hours a week if i can muster up the strength.

Now that I haven't played for a few months (like 3 weeks after BXP, I think), I feel like I've wasted a ton of time on that game. And guess what? I'm wasting tons of time on forums/stuff now. I feel like you can't always be productive in your life, and Runescape is there for those times when you just can't be arsed to talk with people/study/learn a language/Do anything useful.

On tuesday, we had a particularly nice weather in the evening, you know, perfect summer temperature with just a small wind and the smell of summer evenings in the air. I sat outside for 2 hours doing nothing but enjoyingthis weather. What did that accomplish? Nothing. Did I enjoy it, yeah. So did I enjoy RS.

Point is, since not everything that you do will be useful in your life, face the fact that you will waste a major part of it doing nothing useful. And that's fine by me.

WarBlastoise.png

Addicted to rs no, addicted to dgscape yes. It's actual more enjoyable (yes enjoyable, not "enjoyable" as in clicking logs for 3 hours straight) and more fun than a lot of games out there, especially if you can get 5 or more on a voice chat.

Point is, since not everything that you do will be useful in your life, face the fact that you will waste a major part of it doing nothing useful. And that's fine by me.

^

Power20024.png

I haven't been addicted to RuneScape. I've enjoyed playing it, but I'd never avoid going out, going to uni etc just to play RuneScape.

gonna agree with him on this one.

if i had the choice of going out with my friends or having to be anywhere but home or play rs, i'd choose the former. rs is just to kill time.

discoshazamsig-1.png

Can't say I've ever been addicted to playing runescape in all my years of playing it since 2004. This could be due to the fact that I've taken multiple month and even year long breaks from runescape. The only reason I've started playing it again was because all the current games I play have started to get boring

RS is really addicting to play, I have to agree :) All you need to do is set your priorities straight. Even though it can be hard to do, you have to put real life first. Friends and family over runescape always, no exceptions.

80aa0daff6.png

Nate's Big Blog

4,000th to 99 crafting, 33,340th to 99 defence, 3,867th to 99 farming, 55,293rd to 99 hitpoints

I used to be addicted to this game called Runescape. Everything in life revolved around it, I barely seen friends or family or played sport due to the fear of loss of potential XP. Every minute I spent I was away from Runescape I felt like I was missing out on XP and it made me sad.

I'm one of those people who don't believe in being addicted to the game itself, but rather to the "void filling" and distractions it provides.

I know this first hand as RSClassic filled up a void in my life and was easily the high point of the day way back when. It is a very good coping mechanism for a train wreck (not a literal one). I would say I was putting myself first when I used the game to escape, rather than putting the game before everything else due to what that everything else actually was.

Now that I have no need to escape constantly, it's rather easy to come and go as I please.

Not to say I don't think it is possible to be physically addicted to the game the way you can be to chemicals and other things, I just find the evidence lacking and a more reasonable explanation the probable one.

Now the usefulness of things that can be learned from a video game/MMORPG is another topic, and a rather interesting one at that. :^_^:

I study Italian, Japanese, train at my MMA gym several few days a week, try to work out as much as possible and get better at guitar. Since RS doesnt help with any of these goals, I try to play it as little as possible, and as efficiently as possible when I do play. Even if an evening of playing RS is more enjoyable than an evening of memorizing kanji... long-term the latter will bring me more happiness you could say. Kinda like grinding real life.

2480+ total

I'm one of those people who don't believe in being addicted to the game itself, but rather to the "void filling" and distractions it provides.

I know this first hand as RSClassic filled up a void in my life and was easily the high point of the day way back when. It is a very good coping mechanism for a train wreck (not a literal one). I would say I was putting myself first when I used the game to escape, rather than putting the game before everything else due to what that everything else actually was.

Now that I have no need to escape constantly, it's rather easy to come and go as I please.

Not to say I don't think it is possible to be physically addicted to the game the way you can be to chemicals and other things, I just find the evidence lacking and a more reasonable explanation the probable one.

Now the usefulness of things that can be learned from a video game/MMORPG is another topic, and a rather interesting one at that. :^_^:

Exactly usually its not "quitting scape" that will solve all your problems but finding out what your problem is irl. I think no one is addicted to scape itself its just hard to jump into other things (especially if something like anxiety is keeping u from it)

I study Italian, Japanese, train at my MMA gym several few days a week, try to work out as much as possible and get better at guitar. Since RS doesnt help with any of these goals, I try to play it as little as possible, and as efficiently as possible when I do play. Even if an evening of playing RS is more enjoyable than an evening of memorizing kanji... long-term the latter will bring me more happiness you could say. Kinda like grinding real life.

Yea in the longterm rs wont matter at all :P but skills can help you later even though harder to learn/do for long periods of time.
StarViv.png

Probably the gayest thing I have ever read.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Probably the gayest thing I have ever read.

:rolleyes: Well geez sorry I have goals in life

2480+ total

After I discovered how to play more efficiently I began to play much more, and this is where I began to realize that I'm addicted. I don't deny that I'm addicted, I've RS for a long time, and probably will continue to. I logged approx 50 days of gameplay on my first main account. After "quitting" and hoping that a helping out a friend by allowing him to change my pass could be the answer to me quitting, I just started back up on my lvl 40 f2p range pure with like 200 total.

A couple years later here I am. My current account with 115 days of gameplay has surpassed my old one by far, and I don't have any intentions of stopping. I enjoy the game too much.

The thought of "maxing" my character always seem like a joke I would never go after in my life, but the more I play, the more I realize that may end up being the reality. After finishing 99 slayer (which I didn't ever think would happen) my friends asked what was next. I jokinly said maxing total, but the more I play the more I think I might.

So to answer your question, yes I am addicted. At times I think it sucks, but when I think about it, I enjoy the game so I don't see it as a bad thing. I am still going to school, and don't let RS get in the way of that. I let my girlfriend, friends, and family keep me grounded I guess you could say. I don't say no to people when they want to spend time with me, because I don't wanna look back later in life and regret never having spent anytime with anyone. It's good to have people that will "ground" you and help keep you away from the computer at times. Makes me really appreciate what else goes on in life aside from RS. Like a lot of people though, I just RS to vill a void in my life. A big void lol.

Trollbomber.png