The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

I got my email soon as I came out of the gym. Had a bath, and some food and get on now... Only for it to be too laggy to even bother playing. I make it 2 steps then my character stops, 2 steps stops... Impossible to even try to do anything on there, even on min settings.
To be expected there are thousands of players loading the servers (which have to basically load the entire game as if its ur first time playing) plus the extra load from saved data importing and there's only 9 beta worlds. Should calm down in next few hours once the american swarms got their loading done.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I do not think it is lag from downloading, it's lag as the game isn't able to calculate what happens in the next tick, before it happens. The server doesn't have enough memory to handle it. I wonder if we may see servers being temporarily capped to 1000/500 people each or something similar. Hopefully it's just a slight oversight, a small memory leak which has added up over 2000 people, and not something more intrinsic to the update.

LgEZt.png

Holy shit, I managed to homeport to Yanille. Let's see how this goes now that I escaped the dead zone.

EDIT: Nope. I give up.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I got my email soon as I came out of the gym. Had a bath, and some food and get on now... Only for it to be too laggy to even bother playing. I make it 2 steps then my character stops, 2 steps stops... Impossible to even try to do anything on there, even on min settings.
To be expected there are thousands of players loading the servers (which have to basically load the entire game as if its ur first time playing) plus the extra load from saved data importing and there's only 9 beta worlds. Should calm down in next few hours once the american swarms got their loading done.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I do not think it is lag from downloading, it's lag as the game isn't able to calculate what happens in the next tick, before it happens. The server doesn't have enough memory to handle it. I wonder if we may see servers being temporarily capped to 1000/500 people each or something similar. Hopefully it's just a slight oversight, a small memory leak which has added up over 2000 people, and not something more intrinsic to the update.

Yes it doesn't have enough memory because the memory is being used by people loading it.

We get the same thing (albeit on a lesser scale) with every normal update, the servers get a bit laggy, especially in the new area due to a combination of player volume and memory being eaten up by lots of people loading the new content.

Jmods in lumby area are even confirming to people it is from the number trying to load it and that it will calm down once that initial demand eases.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Wow seriously?

Rock and Gale spells don't have new animations.

Sure ice can get away with it and bloodfire (though it could be tweaked to look a bit more firey) but seriously the shadow and smoke animations don;t even look like anything remotely rocky or gale-esque.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yes it doesn't have enough memory because the memory is being used by people loading it.We get the same thing (albeit on a lesser scale) with every normal update, the servers get a bit laggy, especially in the new area due to a combination of player volume and memory being eaten up by lots of people loading the new content.Jmods in lumby area are even confirming to people it is from the number trying to load it and that it will calm down once that initial demand eases.

Why are there more people trying to download the beta than the regular game? I am fairly certain Jagex is lying about that being the reason. In RS terms, it is most reminiscent to me of that week of the endless server lags, which were nothing to do with people trying to download anything, it was that the game had simply over-reached itself. I fear this is what is happening now.

Also, RS is downloaded once.

LgEZt.png

Yes it doesn't have enough memory because the memory is being used by people loading it.We get the same thing (albeit on a lesser scale) with every normal update, the servers get a bit laggy, especially in the new area due to a combination of player volume and memory being eaten up by lots of people loading the new content.Jmods in lumby area are even confirming to people it is from the number trying to load it and that it will calm down once that initial demand eases.

Why are there more people trying to download the beta than the regular game? I am fairly certain Jagex is lying about that being the reason. In RS terms, it is most reminiscent to me of that week of the endless server lags, which were nothing to do with people trying to downloading anything, it was that the game had simply over-reached itself. I fear this is what is happening now.

There's not more trying to download the beta than the regular game there is however a lot more to load seeing as loading the beta loads an entire 2nd copy of the game so it's not like JUST loading a few new code pieces for the update its loading the entire game for ground 0. Plus the added server load of importing save data, plus the added server load of lumbridge being utterly swamped by like 98% of the world population.

Also those prior lag issues did not effect everyone and was to do with obfuscation issues from the bot nuke which they worked to address as fast as they could and pretty much entirely fixed now. Nothing to do with over-reaching, more to do with the impossibility of predicting what a piece of code will do on the millions of hardware and software variants that the players have.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Hmm. I was able to get 5.1k lp boost and 2.5k armor bonus from void + addy kite/boots. I'll probably end up getting 50+ defense for rune anyway, but it doesn't look like jagex completely screwed over rune pures in beta (yet). It just depends on how important lp boost is going to be for pvm/pvp.

They upped the defense req on most d'hides though, so armor choice is more limited in that respect.

Shaniqua.png

Why are there more people trying to download the beta than the regular game? I am fairly certain Jagex is lying about that being the reason. In RS terms, it is most reminiscent to me of that week of the endless server lags, which were nothing to do with people trying to downloading anything, it was that the game had simply over-reached itself. I fear this is what is happening now.
There's not more trying to download the beta than the regular game there is however a lot more to load seeing as loading the beta loads an entire 2nd copy of the game so it's not like JUST loading a few new code pieces for the update its loading the entire game for ground 0. Plus the added server load of importing save data, plus the added server load of lumbridge being utterly swamped by like 98% of the world population.Also those prior lag issues did not effect everyone and was to do with obfuscation issues from the bot nuke which they worked to address as fast as they could and pretty much entirely fixed now.

All I am saying is this 2-step lag as it is being called is not due to people downloading the game. It would be very difficult to fully test a world to the max players, before actually releasing it to the players. I think it is more likely an erroneous line of code or a few hundred, that are wasting the servers resources.

LgEZt.png

A couple things:

Barrows armour is slightly worse the Bandos now in both defense and lp ratings.

Defenders give a lifepoints bonus like a shield but act like an offhand weapon.

With 86 constitution and full torva with bandos shield, my lifepoint total was ~9700

Managed to get full dragon, bandos, and torva from lumbridge before I ran away from less than one frame per second. Will post stats and screenshots later if wanted.

Flyingjj.png

Hey, any information on the mage equivalent of Bandos/Armadyl? I figure there should be one dropped in either Zammy GW or Bandos GW.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Has anyone figured out how you manually sheathe weapons yet? Running around with your weapons out now makes you look like a crazed madman about to commit mass murder.

I cant figure out how to get it to go the other way :P

Then again I crash whenever I try initiate combat xD The joys of beta

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Has anyone figured out how you manually sheathe weapons yet? Running around with your weapons out now makes you look like a crazed madman about to commit mass murder.

* on a numberpad works for me.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Here are all the abilities. Sorry about the bad quality. I had my screenshots originally set to Jpeg and I didn't want to redo them all.

Edit: Added spoiler tags. Lol thanks Vezon Dash, i didn't think of using them.

Warning, many large pictures

Attack

attackabilities.png

Strength

strengthabilities.png

Defence

defenceabilities.png

Hp

hpabilities.png

Range

rangeabilities.png

Magic

magicabilities.png

jpegsigtest.jpg

* on num-pad should do it.

Also I think grifaloo or gando is the mage equiv of bandos and arma.

Plv6Dz6.jpg