The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Knew this would be disappointing, but wow. This is just awful I must say. Really not looking forward to the actual update.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

As far as Ancient spells:

•  
  • Rush spells cost 3 elemental, 1 death
  • Burst is 4 elemental, 2 death
  • Blitz is 5 elemental, 1 blood
  • Barrage is 5 elemental, 2 blood
  • The Shadow and Smoke effects have been changed. Gale now reduces accuracy by 5% for 10 seconds, and Rock reduces damage the same way, and they can affect any class, not just melee.
  • According to the hover text, the additional effects are the same for each tier--so ice barrage now holds players for the same amount of time as ice rush, for example (10 seconds for NPCs, 5 seconds for players). This is something we'd want to verify to see if the hover text is correct or not.

Also, I forgot to mention, Crumble Undead seems to be gone as well.

So, I went to kill some black demons(lvl 140, bolt weakness) with a character with lvl60ish ranged, dual rune cbows / dragon 2h crossbow. I was disappointed by the lack of accuracy and the time it took me to kill a demon. Is this because I'm used to having a max combat char, or are fights longer in general?

crossed_body.png

So, I went to kill some black demons(lvl 140, bolt weakness) with a character with lvl60ish ranged, dual rune cbows / dragon 2h crossbow. I was disappointed by the lack of accuracy and the time it took me to kill a demon. Is this because I'm used to having a max combat char, or are fights longer in general?

Black demons, 60 ranged.. I think it's just your level\gear.

jagerbluebt1.gif

Thx to MxM for parts of the sig!

No, fights are much longer now. Even if you're spamming abilities.

AFK'ing for slayer is pretty much no option anymore, it just takes way to long.

Byzantus.png

Dungeoneering combat got changed... A LOT.

From what I gathered DGing with Octarine and Hunter Ghor - Hex is a lot more versatile and seems often to be much better a damaging creatures than a Primal 2h.

Also... Necro is definitely no longer range weak, or at least doesn't seem it.

Then again, this was using typical minimal tactics without making armour or anything. Which, perhaps could change everything.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

I don't think fights are all that much longer, it's just adapting because range and mage are generally slower than melee in attack speed. But dual-wielding and well chosen abilities seem to speed things along nicely plus with things being re-positioned level wise gotta get used to it again. I mean when you consider nex is only lvl 220 or something it gives you an idea that a lvl 140 demon is kind of more high-end now.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yeah, my binds as they are now are not going to cut it. Primal Platebody gives a nice large LP boost but lots of things are hard to hit with baxe, or at least it appears that way from just a quick large. Also the adrenaline will need some tweaking in DG. It drains too quickly for the frequent lack of combat between rooms, unless you "tag" monsters while running through.

CSB wasn't removed though, or perhaps only on the surface.

2dgucz6.png

Dungeoneering combat got changed... A LOT.

From what I gathered DGing with Octarine and Hunter Ghor - Hex is a lot more versatile and seems often to be much better a damaging creatures than a Primal 2h.

Also... Necro is definitely no longer range weak, or at least doesn't seem it.

Then again, this was using typical minimal tactics without making armour or anything. Which, perhaps could change everything.

Easy enough to find out if you are right for necro etc just open combat tab and it tells you what their weakness is.

More ranged weaknesses make sense since mostly the weaknesses have been matched to the triangle and there are fair few mage creatures in DG which by default are mostly weak to range.

" CSB wasn't removed though, or perhaps only on the surface. "

It never was going to be removed inside DG because it serves a use, allowing you to bind an entire attack for mage in the ammo slot.

It's being removed from over-world because its virtually useless, it was always more efficient to take shield or mage book or w/e and now it's deffo better to shield or 2h or dual wield.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Have ancients had any sort of damage buff?

Now surge spells only need elemental runes it makes them very cheap..I've stocked up on elemental runes.

But I have a ton of bloods and deaths, like 15k each. If ancients aren't going to be worth using then they're going to totally crash in price..dunno whether to sell now or wait to see how things go.

cakesncats056-1.jpg

Steps to be good at new combat:

Fill your action bar with offensive abilities you can use with your weapon(s)

Mash 1234567890-= until everything is on cooldown, prioritizing stronger skills.

If something comes off cooldown, use it immediately.

Continue mashing until monster dies

I think new combat is kind of fun, and everything looks cool, but I don't like that you have to literally button mash CONSTANTLY to do any appreciable damage. They made it sound like attacking was pretty much the same, with abilities being an occasional boost. However, auto attacks do absolutely nothing and abilities are 99% of your damage.

Anyone know what will happen to the spectral spirit shield?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Steps to be good at new combat:

Fill your action bar with offensive abilities you can use with your weapon(s)

Mash 1234567890-= until everything is on cooldown, prioritizing stronger skills.

If something comes off cooldown, use it immediately.

Continue mashing until monster dies

I think new combat is kind of fun, and everything looks cool, but I don't like that you have to literally button mash CONSTANTLY to do any appreciable damage. They made it sound like attacking was pretty much the same, with abilities being an occasional boost. However, auto attacks do absolutely nothing and abilities are 99% of your damage.

I hope that's intentional to make people use the abilities more, and that they will be tweaked. Regular attacks should at least be your basic attacks, rather than a filler attack.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Haven't played beta but it sounds like they've made combat much less afkable. I like that they're going in that direction with it instead of doing what they did with most other skills and making them more afkable.

Just did fight caves w/ ice barrage and full virtus (wand + book).

All caves monsters are between lvl 120-140... from the bats till Jad.

I did most of it w/o any overhead prayers... the Ket-Zeks only hit like 250 tops instead of 500s. The rangers did most of the damage since I was wearing full magic gear.

It took me 13 super prayer flasks to get to Jad (!!) all the damn monsters have like 2500 lp each... even casting ice barrage at knife speed, it took forever to get to Jad.

Anyways, I was expecting Jad to be a piece of cake like all the other monsters... he's only lvl 140 now. I was expecting his hits to be really low like all the other monsters. Needless to say, I was a bit stymied when he hit me for 4460 right off the bat LOL

Anyways... Jad had too much HP and the healers did as well, so I killed all the healers but then they came back and I was too distracted trying to record data that I got hit again and died :P Would sometimes accidentally activate a leech/sap curse instead of deflect since the icons look similar >_>

(the monsters formerly known as)...

22: weak to water

45 and 22: weak to water

90: weak to slash

180: weak to water

360: weak to ranged

Jad (now 140 cb): died while checking >_>

Healer (now 130 cb): weak to water

The healers were healing Jad waaay quicker than I could damage him, unsurprisingly. Using ice barrage only sucks. Gotta constantly spam the action bar if you wanna do decent damage. Speaking of which, the asphyxiation move (which I think is one of your default mage techniques) does about 3k damage every time >_> Basically an insta-kill on all the caves monsters...... except Jad, lol.

Unless there's a hidden prayer bonus in equipment like the soul wars cape (which seems to have no stats right now), then I'd recommend getting your fire and kiln capes ASAP... though I'm sure most of the monsters still just need tweaking.

Also, dual-casting ice barrage was pretty crazy. Despite doing unimpressive damage (compared to in the past), each cast would freeze and stun the monsters (Jad couldn't be stunned though). If I'd lock on to a 360, it wouldn't be able to fight back at all because it'd be stunned until it died.

The caves monsters all hit through deflection prayers... but not for any major damage.

I'd attempt the caves again for more research, but it's incredibly boring/tedious getting to Jad. Still can't believe how much prayer it took. Maybe next time I'll test out dual rapiers or dual c'bows/knives or something.

77yLQy8.png

Knew this would be disappointing, but wow. This is just awful I must say. Really not looking forward to the actual update.

Rather than just [bleep] and moan you could actually contribute and tell people why you don't like it and suggest certain aspects you'd like to change.

On another note, I'm finding monsters are dying noticeably faster than in the old combat system. I've tried both Black Dragons and Ganodermic creatures and both of them are going down a hell of a lot faster than they usually would. Granted this is from literally spamming abilities as soon as the cool down period is over.

As fun as they are to use, I'm seeing it becoming old fast. There needs to be less focus on ability spamming and more focus on buffing up standard attacks for sure.

Sylpheed.png

lol muggi totally ninja'd you with basically all that info on fight caves, aside from the fact I did it without any prayer.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

On the fight cave note:

I tried it too and the prayer drain is massive. You NEED prayer a ton.

Saradomin Brews is just a lot of crap now. These heal me around 500 a dose and a rocktail is 1500. So for caves Im using 3 dose of sara brew + 1 dose of super restore to have it the same effect as 1 rocktail.

Something is wrong there as Saradomin brew requires 81 herblore. Granted rocktail is like 94 Cooking.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

If 3 dose brew + 1 super restore dose = 1 rocktail...

With flasks, 4 inventory spots gives you 18 brew doses and 6 super restore doses, correct? That's 6 rocktails.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Something is wrong there as Saradomin brew requires 81 herblore. Granted rocktail is like 94 Cooking.

I think that pretty much sums up why it's not a problem. Higher level food heals more, duh. :ugeek:

Yeah but that makes Sara brew near obsolete....

1 brew spot is worth 2 rocktails but also need a sup restore so that makes it even.

So unless u need more healing then restore. then brew > rocktail. Anywhere else rocktail wins.

@ Fight Caves for example the whole inventory is now based on prolonging prayer =| as you cannot 1hko the 122 + 124 (22 + 45). This makes the caves much much longer...

Account Help

I think that pretty much sums up why it's not a problem. Higher level food heals more, duh. :ugeek:

It's a very hard reality to grapple with that your skills ingame (ie how long you're willing to grind boring skills) directly affects your effectiveness in combat. The whole build-up to the beta was, "It's now about your skills and not how fast you can change interfaces!" We all kind of assumed that meant how clever you were in combat with managing your adrenaline, your abilities, etc. I don't think anyone would have ever thought that they actually meant your in-game skills.

hzvjpwS.gif