The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Jagex brought back what I miss about their updates. 5fps on low.

:thumbsup:

This has me a tad bit worried, since Jagex doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to not releasing lag fest content, or fixing it in anything even remotely resembling a timely fashion. I do hope this is fixed long before this goes live for real.

Umm so yeah I played it.

No idea how to play runescape anymore though sadly...

I just wear my dharoks and stuff, no idea how to boost strength or damage.

No idea what the stats mean anymore just like hp and armor and a big WTF to armor. (whatever that does)

The rings all increase critical hit damage which is well... whatever.

I take my armor off and put it on and i'm at like 1000hp which is like 17% of my total hp.

So I go around and lop heads off.

I hit 2500 easy, which seems to be the new standard for hp on monsters. Anything have more?

I swing the axe a bit faster as its now an average speed weapon whatever that means although it does seem faster.

Protect prayer (or deflect) or whatever it is doesn't work anymore so you always take damage and i have no idea how to get back on regular prayers because nothing happens when I try.

I try to use the crap from menu on the right by dragging it into the empty button bar on the left.

But the stuff all sucks.

My damage never goes over 1k even if the skill says 300% weapon damage.

So like that's useless, but hey who needs it because I can 1 hit anything with the good old autoattack.

No idea what super potions do anymore or if strength level or prayer boost damage.

I guess the positive is hey i like the new animation and my weapon on my back.

Other than that, well umm Jagex needs to go back and study WOW more if that's what they are aiming for. Might I emphasize Study Alot More...

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

1603e43.png

Had to try it. As the grid is 10 squares, you'll either have to know where your actual ending square is, or stand on your beginning square, but it cuts out the rest of the guesswork! :thumbsup:

2dgucz6.png

1603e43.png

Had to try it. As the grid is 10 squares, you'll either have to know where your actual ending square is, or stand on your beginning square, but it cuts out the rest of the guesswork! :thumbsup:

ftfy

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I must say even though A TON of things have changed, and all armor is rather confusing to me still, I'm getting a good feeling for the abilities.

Have videos summing up all the abilities for every skill:

[hide=Videos]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6jtC8KhZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFJu8tzFP28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX0Q6Kl5qSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjUpMN9XQE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbxZdgqmyKE

[/hide]

Ended up not doing Constitution though since it only has two abilities. They seem useful for tanks/combat though.

From my little taste, it looks like Jagex has managed to imitate the same generic MMORPG combat formula that has existed for years. I can't remembere the last time I disliked an update, but the lack of innovation here shames me. Maybe my expectations were too high?

Regardless, there is no way I'm face rolling my way to max combat.

...at least it's not long before Guild Wars 2.

cliffside1ra5.png

[qfc]296-297-802-63824909[/qfc]

Theres also an exclusive costume set waiting to be earned for regular participants in our weekend beta events. There are 4 pieces to collect - one for each special event weekend. More details will be made available on the beta events forum as each event approaches.

It could be one of the 4 costume pieces...

What Kaur brought forth here can be a important thing to discuss here when it shows up this weekend.

Sort of don't like it... Maybe because I'm too used to runescape being my "simplistic yet fun mmo". All of these features are nothing new to me, so having them on runescape sort of takes away the point of playing it. I actually had a headache after testing it, it's like watching flashbacks from every mmo I've played before... on runescape. There's simply too much, I now understand the point of class restrictions on other games tbh, always complained about it to some extent but after this, I'm not so sure if I want to play the all features possible game... Good thing C9 Open Beta starts tomorrow (well it does if you got early access), could really use some actual action mmo.

On a different note, I did like the new look of pretty much anything that was changed, specially the tokhaar-kal.

Meh, not like I'm doing much combat lately, guess I'll have more motivation to get completionist already.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

Can you not use Magic as an offhand style along with another style or something? If I have a non-mage primary and a mage secondary if I autocast it only mages. Or if I have a Mage primary and a non-mage secondary I still only mage. Am I missing something here, or aren't you able to?

I'm not in the beta myself, but the last video (or was it second last? the one that introduced dual wielding) suggests that you should be able to use magic and something else.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Does anyone happen to have a spare 2k frost bones in the beta version of the game that they'd be willing to give me? I'd like to get prayer up and play around with a few things. Just send me a pm on tip.it.

I'm not in the beta myself, but the last video (or was it second last? the one that introduced dual wielding) suggests that you should be able to use magic and something else.

I saw that and assumed the same. But I can't figure out how to do it. If I wield a wand and an offhand sword/bow and set a spell to autocast I only mage. If I have a sword/crossbow and an offhand orb/book and set to autocast I only mage. If I have a wand + a book offhand and autocast I cast at 2x speed the same spell. If I don't autocast it either does melee with the wand (main hand) or doesn't mage at all (offhand). It seems to me like I'm missing a setting to choose what I should be doing with my primary and offhands. I swear we were supposed to be able to autocast 2 different spells. Or maybe it's because I only tried SoA and Surge spells which require two hands?

I don't know. It frustrated me enough to stop using the beta.

Well when the update officialy is released that'll be the end of runescape for me. Pretty much the only reason i still played was because of the ability to watch movies or play other games while i was training :( gg 99 slayer, my only goal left in good old rs

99 fletching achieved 09/04/08 99 defence achieved 08/31/09 99 smithing achieved 07/25/10
99 attack achieved 03/11/10 99 constitution achieved 05/14/11
99 strength achieved 06/01/11 99 cooking achieved 01/17/12
99 woodcutting achieved 05/10/12 99 firemaking achieved 05/10/12

Well when the update officialy is released that'll be the end of runescape for me. Pretty much the only reason i still played was because of the ability to watch movies or play other games while i was training :( gg 99 slayer, my only goal left in good old rs

You don't HAVE to use the abilities so you can still afk. And I can't remember where I saw it but J-mods have said that slayer's a bit quicker to train in the new system.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

You don't HAVE to use the abilities so you can still afk.

It's just not even remotely practical or safe to do so. Seriously, enemies hit quite a bit harder than they used to and regular attacks simply aren't worth using, even if you're not concerned with efficiency at all.

Depends what you're killing I guess, I couldn't work out how to use the abilities so I was just killing stuff as normal and it seemed okayish. Plus they might rebalance it a bit.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

Any other skillcapes changed? I checked all the ones I had, and found 2 differences:

KOc9Q.png

QSrEc.png

Con and herb also but its because they are missing logo model from cape (actual logo is not drawn to cape itself it seems to be separated object so its missing on those capes thats why they look different)

Those new icons on the skillcapes look awful.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It's very difficult to find relevant content in this thread :( Can we get a temporary sub-forum so i can easily find information on Jad/fight caves, abilities etc

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'm pretty disappointed in the new system. I understand the game needs to evolve but this looks like it will be too much for me. The reason I like this game is because I can play it with very little attention. I can get home from work and chill on the sofa while I play, this requires far more concentration which I am really not down with. If I want to play a game that intensely I would just go on my Xbox and play a better game.

What I am hoping is that over the next couple of months until release, things become a lot more clearer and I understand everything a whole lot better. Regular combat is second nature to me and I hope this new system will become the same.

Avid43.png

I saw that and assumed the same. But I can't figure out how to do it. If I wield a wand and an offhand sword/bow and set a spell to autocast I only mage. If I have a sword/crossbow and an offhand orb/book and set to autocast I only mage. If I have a wand + a book offhand and autocast I cast at 2x speed the same spell. If I don't autocast it either does melee with the wand (main hand) or doesn't mage at all (offhand). It seems to me like I'm missing a setting to choose what I should be doing with my primary and offhands. I swear we were supposed to be able to autocast 2 different spells. Or maybe it's because I only tried SoA and Surge spells which require two hands?

I don't know. It frustrated me enough to stop using the beta.

I don't think you can do it with mage, the vids did say 'mage works slightly differently' and you can put a spell on the ability bar to manually cast so I just assumed it was intentional that you cannot automatically hybrid with mage. Also deffo can't autocast two spells, it has been specified mage dual-wielding is 1 spell at double attack speed. Extra spells have to be done from action bar.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue