The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

My biggest thing about beta is, godswords are almost useless along with claws. and dungeoneering seems to take a solid amount longer and youll need to smith armour to survive now.

That seems to just be because of free chaotic mauls. Once the combat update actually comes out, I can see them being a decent alternative for people that don't have one.

I don't know how, but I used virtus (wand & book) casting bloodfire barrage, and utterly decimaed about 5 people before I forgot to eat and died. :lol:

Might just be my choice of abilities, but mage seems to wreck anyone, rangers included :unsure:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

So are mage and ranged actually viable alternatives to melee combat now? And is mage combat a viable training method compared to alching/superheat/string/etc.?

-mage is pretty strong now best coupled with barrages,fire surge, or storm or armadyl and it kills meleers pretty efficiently, range destroys mages and it acutally decent against melee (when theyre dual wielding instead of using a shield).

-mage combat seems to be getting faster and cheaper ( fire surge only uses fire and air runes) but i am not sure how the xp works in this beta or how it will work when it is released so thats not for sure.

My biggest thing about beta is, godswords are almost useless along with claws. and dungeoneering seems to take a solid amount longer and youll need to smith armour to survive now.

also so far in beta what is the best dual wield? cls's, rapiers, or some mixture of them?

I wouldn't say godswords are useless, I won quite a few fights with them against people. Although duel wielding and properly using abilities seems to beat out a 2h weapon. It would be nice to give each godsword a little something else. Maybe someone similar to barrows set effects where they randomly kick in.

jpegsigtest.jpg

How do you stop the writing from the action bar taking up half the screen when you hover the mouse icon over it?

And is there any way to talk without having to press enter first? That's the stupidest update I've ever seen, including the SOF.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

How do you stop the writing from the action bar taking up half he screen when you hover the mouse icon over it?

And is there any way to talk without having to press enter first? That's the stupidest update I've ever seen, including the SOF.

Well you can click in the chat box first <_< . Yeah i hope they change that

jpegsigtest.jpg

Mage/range really aren't alternatives to anything. You're forced to use a specific style against most monsters, otherwise your dps will be pretty much 0.

And on those monsters is the mage/range damage comparable to what you would do to other things with melee?

Riqualyn.png

Yeah. They need to fix that imo - giving monsters weaknesses so that melee the best answer 90% of the time (should only be 33% of the time) is good, but they took it too far. Imo, you shouldn't be FOCED to multi class in RS. Mage, melee and range should be effective on all non-boss monters imo. One of them being clearly superior is better, but all 3 combat styles should be viable against like 90% of RS monsters...

And chat ofc needs to be fixed.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Mage/range really aren't alternatives to anything. You're forced to use a specific style against most monsters, otherwise your dps will be pretty much 0.

And on those monsters is the mage/range damage comparable to what you would do to other things with melee?

I haven't done enough testing to properly answer that, but I assume it'll be close by the time the update goes live.

But my point is, that's not how you balance the combat triangle. You don't force someone to mage if they'd rather train melee. They need to make it so range/mage/melee have roughly equal dps against most monsters.

Also, the default hotkeys should be f1-f12 so the keyboard can be freed up.

Either that or let us bind keys to stuff. Making everyone press enter to chat kind of seems like a waste if we can't even use the rest of our keyboard...

I too feel they might have gone a bit overboard on the specializing. If they want to even up the styles monsters use, then power too them, but ideally people should be able to get through most of the everyday pvm and slaying with any of the 3 styles, rather than need to bring not only the exact style, but the exact sub style (element, melee weapon) that can do damage. I sort of liked being able to use a whip for just about anything, and I would rather see mages and rangers have that kind of freedom rather than taking it away from everyone. I am not looking forward to a future where I can't use the comabt style I put time into and enjoy.

I too think the weaknesses need balancing, I think it woud make sense to do something like:

1x = normal damage on the monster

0.8x = damage with the 'wrong' class (eg melee on mage)

1.1x = damage when using the right class but not the exact weakness

1.25x = damage when using the weakness

So for example the fire cave creatures being mostly weak to water mage you'd get:

Meleeing them = normal damage

Ranging them = 0.8x damage

Using air earth or fire mage = 1.1x damage

Using water mage = 1.25x damage

Or they could apply it more so to xp than to damage or something.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think most (specifically slayer) monsters should have low defense and style shouldn't matter too much. Melee, range, and mage should be equally effective against almost every task, but you can force someone to use a specific style by making armor weak to the opposite class.

For example, ranging armor would have high mage defense and high melee/mage penalties, so when you fight a monster that mages, you kinda have to range, but the option is still there to melee and use more food/prayer.

Yeah. They say that they have fixed the triangle and brought magic and range up to the level where they're on par with melee, allowing you to choose whatever class you want to play as... instead, you have to max all combat skills anyway, unless you only want to be able to fight a small portion of monsters effectively.

I just did about 5600 damage with a Dharok auto using that "berserk" (forget the exact name) ultimate against a greater demon. That ability boosts your damage by 100% but you take 100% more damage... Now imagine in PvP if BOTH players activate berserk! They'd be hitting each other for 4x damage! Holy shit, someone needs to try for a one hit kill in the duel arena!

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Do goliaths gloves still work in the beta tho? As in, do they still count as powerful crush weapon? What, if any abilities can you use with them?

@ Above: you have no reason to think pernix boots, armadyl buckler, etc, will be SoF reward. I mean, maybe they'll be available there like quite a bit of other high level gear, but it won't be the only source.

Basically, you sound like that you're (at best) indifferent to pvp. Most of your anger seems to be that you think Jagex will screw over slayer with this update. Keep in mind what SS with the ults can do, not to mention that you can probably last in a lot of places indefinitely with a shield ult. It really seems to early to say, especially since this IS a beta, something I don't think a lot of players remember lol.

Also, spirit shields are being redone. Depending on what they do with them, removing prayer reqs could make sense.

From what I can tell they don't count as a weapon and offer no boost to offense. You can use 1 handed abilities with them though but not 2-handed abilities.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

Imo they should:

Remove penalties on hybriding, because hybriding is the funnest, most interesting way of dealing with a combat triangle.

Increase the damage of base attacks to be about 60% of your overall dps (consider that special attacks make up maybe 2-3% of your dps, that's still a massive change).

Reduce the lp boost from armour to about 4000 max, so your hp makes up about 20% of your total lp pool.

Reduce the weaknesses and make them less one-sided and ridiculous. For example, black dragons are weak to arrows. But they should also be weak to stab and the equivalent magic (and bolts too probably, since they aren't different from arrows).

Edit: possibly re-introduce alternative attack styles (one per weapon). However this would be a problem for ranged weapons, as they typically fire only one kind of ammo (the distinction between arrows/bolts is pretty stupid).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Either that or let us bind keys to stuff. Making everyone press enter to chat kind of seems like a waste if we can't even use the rest of our keyboard...

This is one of those things that will seem annoying at first but will quickly become second nature. I'm having the reverse problem coming back to RS, I keep hitting enter to start chatting. So every time I go to talk I'm yelling random quick chat lines.

Riqualyn.png

I tried the fight cave. I didn't get to Jad (wasn't even trying, just wanted to see the weaknesses).

Anyway, the other monsters:

Tz-Kih: level 122, weakness water

Tz-Kek: level 124, weakness water

Tok-Xil: level 126, weakness slash

Yt-MejKot: level 128, weakness water

Ket-Zek: level 130, weakness arrows

I think it's a bit slower than before (Kihs and Keks are slower to kill than before, Xils and MejKots about the same, Zeks faster), but much easier. I could kill Ket-Zeks easily without prayer and with 80 mage and 73 def. I used water wave all the time because I didn't know the weaknesses.

I'm going to try Jad later, probably tomorrow.

The problem with a change like this is that anyone with a reasonable amount of levels is going to have a huge learning cure and likely not like it. Its the same reason that when your trying to get someone to try out wow you don't let them play on your maxed character you get them a level one and get abilities as you go.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items