10 Year Veteran Cape + Solomon's Store, 17th July

Polodevil

I can see this going in a few directions but the two I'd be the most mad about would be they either start selling items that aren't purely cosmetic and/or they start making us have to pay for some updates similar to the skill animations in the future. Not a fan at all.

The idea of selling non-cosmetic items would be most viable, imagine the issues involved if only say 20% of the player base 'buys' an upgrade to say a major town i.e. graphical rework + quest bundle, then they'd have to create a clone of the same location and make the town almost instanced to stop non paying members not see the upgrade others paid to see. And besides that's what we pay our monthly membership for, future content/updates.

• Like 1

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

How has this game turned into a subscription based with micro-transactions model? Jagex are getting as greedy as Activision/Blizzard :(

How has this game turned into a subscription based with micro-transactions model? Jagex are getting as greedy as Activision/Blizzard :(

Obviously this person has no idea what he's talking about.

Microtransaction games that are FTP base (LORTO/GW/LOL) sell items that ENHANCE gameplay, xp boosts, bags, champs, and the like.

Games that are Sub based (RS, wow) charge a monthly fee and offer COSMETIC/fun items for a price. Pets, mounts, etc.

In fact, if anything Jagex is more greedy/ The SOF actually gives you XP in the form of lamps.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

200 free runecoins didn't show up for me so I won't be getting anything from that shop now. No plans to ever buy anything from that pointless waste of cash. I'd rather buy a nice 20$ xbox game than buy some useless outfit in a dying game. 20$ for gas even sounds better

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

I can see this going in a few directions but the two I'd be the most mad about would be they either start selling items that aren't purely cosmetic and/or they start making us have to pay for some updates similar to the skill animations in the future. Not a fan at all.

The idea of selling non-cosmetic items would be most viable, imagine the issues involved if only say 20% of the player base 'buys' an upgrade to say a major town i.e. graphical rework + quest bundle, then they'd have to create a clone of the same location and make the town almost instanced to stop non paying members not see the upgrade others paid to see. And besides that's what we pay our monthly membership for, future content/updates.

I said similar to the animations as in more new skill animations. Not major updates like quests and towns. :wall:

• Like 1

Jagex has been doing pretty good with their phasing technology on a smaller scale while allowing players to see one another (IE: statues and a few other objects that appear/disappear based on quests), I don't doubt that with a few engine upgrades that they could easily introduce full town phasing. Not that I think the community would tolerate it.

Take it from Turbine with Lord of the Rings Online. While they originally stated that no non-cosmetic equipment would be sold on the cash shop, once Warner Bros bought the company, all of that changed. They added in lower level armor with the explanation that, well hey, it's not like it's powerful or anything. Translate this to Jagex-speak, and you can quote me on this: When (not if) Jagex does introduce non-cosmetic equipment into RuneScape, it will be untradeable and they will use the comment of "much like Squeal of Fortune, you can't trade it, and if you drop it on death it is gone." I said in an earlier thread on Squeal of Fortune that they'll give the store a special name like "Gielinor Surplus" and the items will have a similar "lucky" tag, like "Requisitioned Dragon Warhammer."

Solomon's Store will not remain cosmetic only, I can probably guarantee that.

It's days like these that I miss Me_Hate_Libs. She would stomp around all adorable and then we'd have an argument about something.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

200 free runecoins didn't show up for me so I won't be getting anything from that shop now. No plans to ever buy anything from that pointless waste of cash. I'd rather buy a nice 20$ xbox game than buy some useless outfit in a dying game. 20$ for gas even sounds better

I'm guessing you have Adblock? It blocks the 200rc banner. Disable it for that page and you can grab your free stuff, then re-enable it if the remaining ads on the page bother you. (Also, the Thrifty title is free, you just have to push the buttons but it doesn't take any cash or rc, so you may wanna nab that while you're there.)

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Jagex has been doing pretty good with their phasing technology on a smaller scale while allowing players to see one another (IE: statues and a few other objects that appear/disappear based on quests), I don't doubt that with a few engine upgrades that they could easily introduce full town phasing. Not that I think the community would tolerate it.

Or they could give us access to Prifdinnas for $25.

• Like 1

Obviously this person has no idea what he's talking about.

Microtransaction games that are FTP base (LORTO/GW/LOL) sell items that ENHANCE gameplay, xp boosts, bags, champs, and the like.

Games that are Sub based (RS, wow) charge a monthly fee and offer COSMETIC/fun items for a price. Pets, mounts, etc.

In fact, if anything Jagex is more greedy/ The SOF actually gives you XP in the form of lamps.

I'm sorry but when somebody blatently lies I have to do a password recovery to set it right. LOL (league of legends) does not sell items that enhance gameplay: merely only skins for heroes.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I'm sorry but when somebody blatently lies I have to do a password recovery to set it right. LOL (league of legends) does not sell items that enhance gameplay: merely only skins for heroes.

EXP/IP boosts, rune pages and champions.

Arguably, the PF Ezreal skin has faster animations = advantage.

So... no, you're wrong.

On topic, I like the new store. I had like six bucks lying around on a giftcard so I bought some coins.

So what do you think will come that won't last permanently? Every item currently says "Duration: Permanent" in the store right now. My guess is buyable xp boosts.

Think someone already suggested it, but maybe something to replace bonus xp weekends, say a 2x or 2.5x xp multiplier for a limited time.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

So what do you think will come that won't last permanently? Every item currently says "Duration: Permanent" in the store right now. My guess is buyable xp boosts.

I'm hoping that will be the only way the duration is applied. Time-set clothing was a pretty huge thing in maplestory, though...Meh :(

hzvjpwS.gif

buyable xp boosts would simply be terrible... What's the point of membership in the future if all updates are becoming paid only?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I'm hoping that will be the only way the duration is applied. Time-set clothing was a pretty huge thing in maplestory, though...Meh :(

Perhaps there will be holiday-specific outfits. In TF2, some hats and accessories can only be equipped during Halloween, for example.

Or perhaps the duration is the time span in which the item is on sale for? Maybe some items will be limited edition. I wouldn't be surprised, as I'm sure that would make a lot of people panic and buy them so they don't "miss out".

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

For those trying to justify spending RL money on these things, shame on you. These being cosmetic items make no difference- you're still sending Jagex (specifically IVP) the message that micro-transactions is the way to go. You are the reason this game has become the way it is. Runescape, despite its flaws, stood out among a bland, flavorless stew of generic, class-based, wow-copies. Now there is no commercial MMO which hasn't been exposed to the sickening virus of pay-to-win. "I buy spins/runecoins cause everyone else is doing it" is no excuse. You should have spoken up, you should have rioted, you should have flooded Jagex Towers with buckets of angry emails. I was there in those riots, and I saw the blind rage. But it died out, as it shouldn't have. Slowly and surely you began to accept the Blizzard way of life. Shame on you. Yes, you.

I beg of you, if you ever end of making a smash-hit MMO, do not let it be tainted by money-hungry investors. Ask yourself, is it better to be loved by few, or hated by many? Jagex chose the latter.

I beg of you, if you ever end of making a smash-hit MMO, do not let it be tainted by money-hungry investors. Ask yourself, is it better to be loved by few, or hated by many? Jagex chose the latter.

Many people still love the game while hating MTs. Your whole argument hinges on the fact that these things are mutually exclusive. Maybe you need to re-evaluate your opinion?

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

EXP/IP boosts, rune pages and champions.

Arguably, the PF Ezreal skin has faster animations = advantage.

So... no, you're wrong.

On topic, I like the new store. I had like six bucks lying around on a giftcard so I bought some coins.

The only thing purchasable with real money in league of legends that is really an advantage is IP boosts, since that allows you to fill out different rune pages more quickly. Experience boosts, while they get you to 30 more quickly, unless you rune IP boosts as well leave you at a disadvantage since you won't have IP for runes.

Everything else just basically gives you more variety, but it can all be purchased by playing the game. It would be like if the items in Solomon's shop were buyable with gp as well.

Riqualyn.png

Everything else just basically gives you more variety, but it can all be purchased by playing the game. It would be like if the items in Solomon's shop were buyable with gp as well.

I'm surprised that they didn't go with this kind of system. Most MMOs these days allow you to earn the credits that you'd buy with real world money, just not nearly as fast enough as if you bought it.

I'm surprised that they didn't go with this kind of system. Most MMOs these days allow you to earn the credits that you'd buy with real world money, just not nearly as fast enough as if you bought it.

The SOF already works like that, while most other MMO's also offer cosmetics, but without the ability to buy them using currency acquired through playing the game (e.g. the LoL skins, seeing that we are on the subject, or the Blizz store and all those pets and mounts).

22031_s.gif

Sad. Can't get the cape despite the fact that my account is from 2001. Jagex says I need to wait another year, pointing at an account creation in 2003. I know Jagex' servers don't allow for the exact account creation date of players from 2001, but I thought they were given a date in 2002...

Or perhaps the duration is the time span in which the item is on sale for? Maybe some items will be limited edition. I wouldn't be surprised, as I'm sure that would make a lot of people panic and buy them so they don't "miss out".

Would like to see items that you could borrow/rent for a limited time. Say, pay a significantly smaller amount of runecoins to get assassin clothes for a week.

Unlikely, but it would be nice.