10 Year Veteran Cape + Solomon's Store, 17th July

Polodevil

I don't really mind it, but it seems like it is the end of the world for some people.

That's because RS used to be different from all the other idiotic (generally asian) MMO's. Now it's turning into one of those games.

Usually MMO's have a) a monthly fee or b) microtransactions. Of course Jagex seems to be part of the "Why not both?" school of thought now.

Well, if it is getting too idiotic for you, play a different game. The thing is, you don't have to use the micro transactions to compete with others. Everything can be done without them.

Wow, you must be part of the debate club, superb argumentation there.

As a person who has been paying jagex for years don't I have right to voice my opinion on some forums? After all that's what forums are for, aren't they?

If your government were to pass some idiotic law would you also use your brilliant "U kno if u dun dig this just bugger off k, move to another country" argument?

For me this is as weird as paying extra for salt at a restaurant, hence I'm against it. If you like the microtransaction highway then good for you, that's your opinion and I'm glad you have one, just accept the fact that others have theirs.

Decided to spend my free points on Guy Fawkes mask, seems odd that the hat alone has same def stats as my slayer full helm without any face covering lol, before anyone says I know that the hat has 0 stats, it's purely a cosmetic skin for headgear.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Because you should know better by now. it won't stop at just cosmetics.

We've passed that point already. Yelps is among the best training methods in the game. This is a huge improvement by comparison.

No, you're not paying close enough attention. I'm saying that Solomon's shop will go beyond cosmetics. As others have mentioned, bonus exp cards, gp bundles, etc.

hzvjpwS.gif

I like the interface for character customization, too bad it's used for this instead of regular stuff. I love that the items can be put over regular armor/items, that makes me ridiculously happy, since it means you can equip useful items underneath the cosmetic stuff :)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Store Guide + FAQ:

http://www.runescape.com/gameguide/solomons_general_store.ws

[hide]Why has Solomon's General Store been added to RuneScape?

We've seen growing demand from players for a wider range of appearances and more customisation. The new Store and in-game Customisation System does this by offering a greater variety of visual options and by giving more freedom and control over your appearance.

What's this new Customisation System?

The Customisation System is a new feature which allows you to choose your appearance independent of what regular items are being worn – it's basically a cosmetic re-skin which leaves your original gear intact. It also allows players to override standard gameplay animations with alternate animations. We have also included a means for players to manage their Titles into this interface, too.

What are RuneCoins?

RuneCoins are a new currency used exclusively for Solomon's General Store. They cannot be traded or transferred between accounts.

How can I get more RuneCoins?

RuneCoins are available for purchase through the Jagex billing system, accessed either via the Memebers Benefits page or just use the “Buy RuneCoins” button from inside the Store itself. Game Cards will soon be redeemable for RuneCoins, too. RuneCoins are not available through gameplay and they do not exist inside the RuneScape game world.

Can I use other currencies such as loyalty points, spins or gold to buy these items?

No, only RuneCoins can be used.

Why are you charging for items?

The new Customisation System requires a lot more development effort per item, and we're also taking longer when making the content to make sure it's extra special. By charging for the items themselves it means we don't pass on these costs on to those who aren't interested in using them.

Can I purchase items from Solomon's General Store if I'm a free player?

Yes, items are available to both free players and members, with members benefiting from a 10% discount inside the Store.

Do I still get the benefits of my regular items, such as stats and other bonus effects?

Yes, the Customisation System purely effects the visual appearance of your avatar. All other gameplay elements are unaffected.

Can other players see my customised avatar clothing and animations?

Yes, everyone sees the effects of the Customisation System.

Can I gain a gameplay advantage with the new customisation system?

No, definitely not. None of the items from Solomon's General Store affect gameplay and they have no stats, including weapon accessories. To prevent players hiding their real items before fighting others, when entering any PvP area your customisation outfit & accessories are automatically switched off. When you've left the PvP area they will automatically come back on again. In terms of customised animations, all of the same underlying timings and gameplay mechanics apply, so nothing happens any faster or slower than before.

Do items from the Solomon's General Store take up space in my inventory or bank?

No, rather than being physical items which live in your inventory or bank, most purchases in the Store are virtual items which take up no space. They are essentially an 'unlock' for your account. Through the customisation interface you can activate the wardrobe items or animations at any time, without the need to visit a bank. The only exception (at launch) is the Achievement Banner object which is a physical in-game item which can be placed in your inventory and bank.

Can I sell or trade items I've bought from Solomon's General Store?

No, Store items cannot be traded or transferred in any way, whether to players or NPCs.

What happens to items bought from Solomon's General Store if I die?

You can't lose them if you die; they're not dropped nor are they converted to cash.

Can I change the colour of these outfits?

Yes, a key feature of this new system is that almost all outfits pieces have parts which can be re-coloured. Within the customisation interface you can choose to 'Re-colour All' and change the colour across the whole outfit, or on each section you can individually 'Re-colour' each piece. The preview panel in the store demonstrates which outfit pieces can be re-coloured.

Do I need to buy male and female items separately?

Nope, as with the rest of RuneScape, items are always for both sexes and when a piece of clothing is worn the correct version is automatically displayed. All purchases come with male and female versions.

What if I want to wear a piece of clothing from the opposite sex?

You can change your character's gender at the Makeover Mage but otherwise this is not possible.

Can I see how my avatar looks wearing an item from Solomon's General Store before committing to buy it?

Yes, within the in-game Customisation interface you can preview wardrobe items and animations on your avatar.

Can I use items bought in Solomon's General Store, or the new Customisation System, in the Evolution of combat beta?

No, these features are not included in the beta program, but when the evolution of Combat launches in the live game later this year both systems will work together.

Are you going to add more items to Solomon's General Store?

Yes, we intend to add new content at regular intervals.

I really want to dress up like...

Definitely let us know your thoughts for what wardrobe items, titles, animations, emotes and other things you'd love to see in the Store. We love your ideas and feedback, so please visit Solomon's General Store forum (link this) with to let us know.

Can I purchase an item more than once?

Currently, all items in the Store only need to be bought once. Having purchased the item you can always access it from the Customisation interface, and they cannot be misplaced or destroyed, so there is never a need to purchase it again.

What is happening to the loyalty shop?

Xuan and his loyalty shop are popular amongst RuneScape members and they're definitely going to stay in the game. We've been regularly adding content to the loyalty shop and there is now a large selection of items available. We'll continue to assess how the loyalty shop is being used and when it's the right time to add new items.

Are items from Solomon's General Store going to be available on the Squeal of Fortune or in the Loyalty Shop?

No, we have no intentions to ever do this.

Can I use existing cosmetic items inside the new Customisation System?

Unfortunately not. The Customisation System is a new feature which needs the items to be built specifically for it, so old items cannot be imported.

Are there going to be fewer content updates to RuneScape because the team are making items for Solomon's General Store?

The RuneScape team has grown in the last year to add capacity for new initiatives like Solomon's General Store, to keep raising our release quality and to take on ambitiously large projects like the Evolution of Combat. We're committed to being one of the world's most frequently updated games and to constantly deliver fantastic new gameplay content to all types of RuneScape players.

Is Solomon's General Store anything to do with the General Store NPCs which already exist in RuneScape?

No, this is Solomon's own unique enterprise and doesn't relate to existing in-game content.

Can you tell me more about Solomon?

Solomon is an entrepreneurial genie of exquisite taste and distinction who runs a boutique shop inside a magic lamp. The Store's motto is "Purveyors of fine goods and ingenious items". It exists in a reality somewhere between Gielinor and our own world. His service includes the shrinking of clients to fit into his lamp, the manifestation of the required item, and the enlargement of the client once they're done – exhausting all three of the wishes that he is contractually obliged to offer.[/hide]

Their reasons for charging for the items are a bit funny to me :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

No, you're not paying close enough attention. I'm saying that Solomon's shop will go beyond cosmetics. As others have mentioned, bonus exp cards, gp bundles, etc.

I understood that, and I don't think it will go that far. If it does, feel free to say "I told you so".

I'm just a bit tired of players saying that the game is dying, while maintaining their subscriptions and playing for hours each day, and sometimes even picking up vanity items.

For the record, the last bit isn't aimed at you.

Soloman's shop is blatently going to be used for the 'other options' for bxpw replacement.

Notice how everything in there has 'duration:' category in it's facts and figures (thought they are all permanent atm) pretty obvious setup to introduce non-permanent thing eg X hour xp boosters. No doubt though Jagex will spin it as a new idea, kind of like how SoF buyable spins/earned spins was obviously a 'reaction to players wanting more spins' and not at all planned cause I mean it's not like the interfaces already had space for the purchase button etc. or that they called the free spins 'daily spins' right away and showed them on a list that had empty space below which clearly showed there was other spin types to be filled in.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Solomans Banner = Free POH advertisement. I might actually buy one lol.

LOL I just checked the prices so nevermind LOL. Are they [bleep]ing nuts? The kind of prices they have in there are worse than Korean MMOs. $35 for an Assassin outfit? Hahahaha that's a nice joke JaGeX. That's more than I've ever seen in any other game for an outfit...

I can get a real life assassin outfit for $35.

I'll wait until they obviously start doing their obvious price discounts eventually to make people spend more money.

The only thing about the purchase based things I dislike is buying ingame xp advantage. GP advantage is bad, but can already (illegally) be obtained.. But pure raw xp advantage (SoF spins) is horrible. I dislike that SoF doesn't just let players buy the specific rare items they want, since its too much like gambling, but I really hate the free xp.

This update seems amazing, because it lets players customize outfits without having to sacrifice stats from equipment, which I think is nice. I get why they would want to charge since it is fairly complex. Of course many people don't like it... And definitely in the "I already said you could say I told you so" category if they ever release non-cosmetic things (which no doubt they will... :( )

Serena_Sedai.png

Good on your Jagex. Now kindly scrap the idea of limited time squeal cosmetics and move all of that to Solomon's store. I'm fine with limited time cosmetics, as long as you aren't inducing people to gamble for them.

• Like 2

I don't really mind it, but it seems like it is the end of the world for some people.

That's because RS used to be different from all the other idiotic (generally asian) MMO's. Now it's turning into one of those games.

Usually MMO's have a) a monthly fee or b) microtransactions. Of course Jagex seems to be part of the "Why not both?" school of thought now.

Well, if it is getting too idiotic for you, play a different game. The thing is, you don't have to use the micro transactions to compete with others. Everything can be done without them.

Wow, you must be part of the debate club, superb argumentation there.

As a person who has been paying jagex for years don't I have right to voice my opinion on some forums? After all that's what forums are for, aren't they?

If your government were to pass some idiotic law would you also use your brilliant "U kno if u dun dig this just bugger off k, move to another country" argument?

For me this is as weird as paying extra for salt at a restaurant, hence I'm against it. If you like the microtransaction highway then good for you, that's your opinion and I'm glad you have one, just accept the fact that others have theirs.

I'm sure plenty of people have left their home countries when the government put things into the law that the peope didn't like.

@Seeker

I'll look real fast for you. Maybe Solomon sells "enhancements" at his store.

I'm sure plenty of people have left their home countries when the government put things into the law that the peope didn't like.

Yes. But we should be able to protest before it happens in an attempt to prevent them from choosing to do so. I would rather not *have* to leave my country because of laws that are unjust.

Serena_Sedai.png

Yes. But we should be able to protest before it happens in an attempt to prevent them from choosing to do so. I would rather not *have* to leave my country because of laws that are unjust.

I'd dare you to protest if you were of a certain nationality in the 1930s in Italy, but that is an extreme scenario.

@Seeker

The chest area has not changed as far as I can tell.

Grr, I don't really care about the update, except that once again, my wicked robes are back to default color. :mad:

On second thought, I do appreciate my new 10 year veteran cape, even if the emote is only so-so.

Flyingjj.png

Let's see if this means anything:

http://en.wikipedia....omon_of_England

Just started googling Soloman... Him being the king of Israel was simply too easy to comment on, so I looked at the disambiguation list... That particular one sprung out :)

lol at King Solomon of England being famous for "introducing ruthlessly efficient mechanisms of taxation". Yep. sounds like runecoins.

That was eerily fast found :D

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I agree, I'm not saying in any situation that we have to protest, but I believe it should always be an option (in otherwords situations like the 30s and like the 60s with the racial hate and so on are wrong). I believe we should always enable the right to protest non-violently without fear of retaliation.

This hasn't always happened. But I feel like comments of "don't like it, then leave" are not really useful. We ought to be able to have discussion about why we don't like it and that we would like Jagex to change their mind regardless of how unlikely that may be. At the same time, you or I or anyone else, has the right to respond that they do like it. If all we are doing is complaining, then we should leave. But if we provide constructive reasoned pleas as to why we dislike things, that ought to promote discussion that might help Jagex realize what they are slowly doing.

• Like 2

Serena_Sedai.png

IVP killed Maplestory.

Round two, Runescape.

This is very true ~ also be known that the firm is being run by former Goldman Sachs - and IVP has a big hold in runescape...

pretty much it is about cashflow now.... not about game play. They want their quick profit so their CEO can get their bonus.

IVP is a Venture Capital firm. That's pretty much what they do.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

The Herald Capes seem to be all screwed up. My black-and-white skunk stripe manifests as the blue Varrock cape. But when I go to Falador to customize it, it shows my previously customized cape. No changes I make appear on the cape on my back.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours