10 Year Veteran Cape + Solomon's Store, 17th July

Polodevil

I suspect Jagex is fighting very hard to keep things that give an advantage out of the Soloman store, off the SoF, and out of the game in general (though obviously some of the SoF rewards do have an impact). Something that get's lost in all the hurt and dismay, is that many of the staff would seem to be on our side. Jagex are between a rock and a hard place, since they don't have majority control of themselves. We already saw it in the EoC diaries, where they are fighting to keep as much of this bull out of the game as possible, for as long as possible. I suspect they are doing this by convincing their board that doing so would cause the game to die faster, and they can get more money by sticking to the cosmetics and minor advantages over the long haul.

So after thinking about it for a bit, yes the Soloman store is ridiculously expensive compared to membership, or reality. But people are using it, and I imagine the egg heads at Jagex figured that the prices they set were low enough that they can get considerable money out of this. While it might be nice to see things be more affordable, we might have to trust that they did price it right, and this will make them lots of money. Unfortunately, not seeing high powered weapons and armour showing up in that shop probably hinges on how much money they can make off the cosmetic stuff, so we should all be hoping that as many people as possible blow as much money as they can on it. It is the lesser of two evils, and if it can't deliver, I'm sure we will start seeing real advantages for people that are willing to pay. That will probably be inevetible. The game will really start decline sooner or later, and they will milk it like we haven't seen yet when that happens. They are holding it in reserve for now.

So I guess I am happy to see the shop. Even though it seems like the prelude to something much worse, right now it is hope that Jagex can keep their investors in check. Unfortunately, I also feel that loyalty points might have taken one for the team. We might see another update there, but I doubt we will see more cosmetic geared stuff, at least nothing beyond the minor.

• Like 8

I'll bite again...

Something that get's lost in all the hurt and dismay, is that many of the staff would seem to be on our side. Jagex are between a rock and a hard place, since they don't have majority control of themselves.

I can believe this. Jagex has, over the years, consistently sided with the player and listened to feedback to improve the game.

Now, if you can't read that sentence without thinking that it's sarcastic - despite that not being the intention - then you'd realize that it's really not about what Jagex says, but about what they do. Internally, I'm convinced that JMods aren't comfortable with any of these changes to the game, as they add development work without increasing the value of the overall game. But it's still being developed. That fact hasn't changed. It creates a schism between Jagex and its community, as it seems that they're saying one thing and doing another - and that's what's been happening.

It's something that does get lost, but I don't blame the people that forget this. It's too easy to see the disconnect.

So after thinking about it for a bit, yes the Soloman store is ridiculously expensive compared to membership, or reality. But people are using it, and I imagine the egg heads at Jagex figured that the prices they set were low enough that they can get considerable money out of this. While it might be nice to see things be more affordable, we might have to trust that they did price it right, and this will make them lots of money. Unfortunately, not seeing high powered weapons and armour showing up in that shop probably hinges on how much money they can make off the cosmetic stuff, so we should all be hoping that as many people as possible blow as much money as they can on it. It is the lesser of two evils, and if it can't deliver, I'm sure we will start seeing real advantages for people that are willing to pay. That will probably be inevetible. The game will really start decline sooner or later, and they will milk it like we haven't seen yet when that happens. They are holding it in reserve for now.

That's the beauty of it. It's comfortable with people. There aren't any advantages, so why should we get up in arms about people spending cash for RS items?

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with being OK with this update. And you yourself prelude what its likely the inevitable fate this game will face. But do take time to observe how it's being introduced. It was, at first, a violent jolt to your system (a-la SoF), and now it's a gentle immersion. Soon, it won't be a problem to buy an hour of 1.175x bonus experience for $7.95. I mean, realistically it's not that much of an advantage, and if they want to blow that kind of cash on experience, that's on them.

Just think about it for a bit.

I'd say the real Catch-22 is, if you took your money elsewhere in protest, they'd only ramp up their efforts.

• Like 2

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

After going through Solomon's shop I have to say I'm not impressed with the selection. There are a couple items I might have bought if they actually looked good, mainly Gothic. Given my username, I've wanted something with a 'vampire' feel for a long time, and the Gothic clothing certainly doesn't deliver.

If I were them, I'd broker some deals with other game companies to introduce some outfits from other games into RS. Assassin's creed outfit? I'd buy it. If they're really serious about making some serious money, I'd do a lot more pandering to people's other interests.

Some of you will probably hate this idea, but I think you're already the kind of people that will quit over this update, or at least deride people for using it, so I don't see the difference.

If they ever release "pay to win" transactions, one way to make sure they get rid of them is to not buy into it yourself!! People don't realize that every single time they spend on these microtransactions, you're only supporting them. If absolutely everyone in the game decided against buying spins, outfits, and in the worst case scenario, free items and xp, then Jagex would simply get rid of them due to the popular backlash.

But according to the Prisoner's Dilemma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma) chances of that happening are slim. Everyone wants to get the biggest advantage they can get, even though the best idea would be to forfeit the benefit and hope everyone else does the same. But statistics schmatistics, you just have to stick to the I'm not giving these bastards a single penny more than they deserve principal and everything will work out in the end... right?

• Like 2

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

If I were them, I'd broker some deals with other game companies to introduce some outfits from other games into RS. Assassin's creed outfit? I'd buy it. If they're really serious about making some serious money, I'd do a lot more pandering to people's other interests.

Add Pokemon pets and I'll pour an assload of money into this thing.

:twss:

• Like 1

Add Pokemon pets and I'll pour an assload of money into this thing.

:twss:

YES... YESSSS! But Pokemon is simply too good for Jagex. They'd never get a contract.

trains2.png

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

This Solomons store is exsactly what I've wanted to see in RuneScape for years, customisable outfits that are purely cosmetic, cover your armour & cost cash to buy.

It's a great source of income for them, and a great update in my opinion. Much what SoF should have been.

I'm 100% for the Solomons store.

I bought the Assassin gear ONLY AND I STRESS ONLY because it resembles Kylar from the Night Angel trilogy, my favourite book series of all time.

Combined with my blue skull mask, it looks exactly what he does in the book. :thumbup:

Popoto.~<3

I bought the Assassin gear ONLY AND I STRESS ONLY because it resembles Kylar from the Night Angel trilogy, my favourite book series of all time.

Combined with my blue skull mask, it looks exactly what he does in the book. :thumbup:

Your obscure book references and general hipsterism does little to justify your blatant microtransaction abuse. You... sub-human... item buyer... jerk...

• Like 1

trains2.png

The duration thing makes me wonder if they will start selling items for cash for a limited time, so basically you pay Runecoins to 'borrow' a partyhat or fury or something?

Then they can use a weak argument of the sort "You're not buying in-game advantage because you don't get to keep it!"

Your obscure book references and general hipsterism does little to justify your blatant microtransaction abuse. You... sub-human... item buyer... jerk...

Ilikeditbeforeitwasmainstreametc.

Popoto.~<3

9 hitpoints but 540 days til 10 year cape, something is wrong here...

120718162415.png

That's January 9th 2014, so your account was made January 9th 2004. RS2 was realised in March 2004. I don't see a problem.

9 hitpoints but 540 days til 10 year cape, something is wrong here...

120718162415.png

That's January 9th 2014, so your account was made January 9th 2004. RS2 was realised in March 2004. I don't see a problem.

Yeah, thinking about it further it seems ok. It just means that having 9hp has nothing to do with which class was chosen prior to tutorial island was released as some fansites (RS wiki) say.

I'm pretty sure it's all to do with the transfer over from rsc to rs2. I have an account that has 9 hp that definitely wasn't created when class choices existed, and definitely wasn't created before tutorial island existed.

If they ever release "pay to win" transactions, one way to make sure they get rid of them is to not buy into it yourself!! People don't realize that every single time they spend on these microtransactions, you're only supporting them. If absolutely everyone in the game decided against buying spins, outfits, and in the worst case scenario, free items and xp, then Jagex would simply get rid of them due to the popular backlash.

But according to the Prisoner's Dilemma (http://en.wikipedia....r's_dilemma) chances of that happening are slim. Everyone wants to get the biggest advantage they can get, even though the best idea would be to forfeit the benefit and hope everyone else does the same. But statistics schmatistics, you just have to stick to the I'm not giving these bastards a single penny more than they deserve principal and everything will work out in the end... right?

Pretty much this. Haven't bought anything outside of membership. Even buying from this new store will support buyable advantages whether or not that's the persons intention.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I'm pretty sure it's all to do with the transfer over from rsc to rs2. I have an account that has 9 hp that definitely wasn't created when class choices existed, and definitely wasn't created before tutorial island existed.

All accounts made in classic that didn't train are 9hp in rs2. They just raised the exp needed for level 10 in the formula.

The initial XP given to non-classed accounts was 1000, though the HP levels were set at 10 (with 1154 marked as the next level). If you reached 1154XP, you'd remain at level 10 and the requirement for level 11 would then be shown.

Accounts transferred only had the XP transferred, which was converted to level 9 HP.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Checking 10 yr vet cape properly I found my 10 yr cape is 24th dec 2013.

Nice xmas pressie next year! and makes my account a couple of months newer than I had thought

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue