01 Oct, 2012 - Behind the Scenes October

BloodAngel

behind-the-scenes.jpg

Behind the Scenes – October

Festival of the Dead - Members:

This dark and twisted month begins in high spirits, as we introduce a new temporary holiday event to Gielinor: the Festival of the Dead. A Saradomin priest is hosting the event, and he’ll need your help to bring celebration to the graveyards of RuneScape. Paint skulls, let off fireworks and party in memory of RuneScape’s most recognisable dead characters!

There are five old friends to commune with, should you have their quest requirements. Successfully celebrate a fallen comrade, and you’ll unlock a skeleton mask and double-XP multipliers when Prayer training, up to a maximum of 251,000 additional XP!

King Black Dragon - Members:

The caves leading to the King Black Dragon have been quiet of late, and the old dragon has been waiting for adventurers to fill his belly. We wouldn’t dare to deny him a snack, so we’ve updated the three-headed lug, his lair and his rewards.

KBD_thumb-01153351.png

Go head-to-head-to-head with him and you might be the proud owner of some gloves and boots (with the highest Prayer bonus for their respective equipment type), ornament kits for the dragon kiteshield, a more generous drop table, and revealing lore about the fabled ‘dragon riders’. We’ll even toss in a teleport to the KBD from Edgeville, and a 10% damage multiplier if you’re brave enough to reach the King via the Wilderness.

Dungeon Updates - Members:

Why update one dungeon when you can update several? This month, we’ll be graphically overhauling four of the most intimidating dungeons that RuneScape has to offer:

• Taverley Dungeon
  • Fremennik Slayer Dungeon
  • The Chaos Tunnels
  • Brimhaven Dungeon

We hope you don’t get lost in the reworked dungeons. That would be a horrifying shame...

dungmood1_thumb-01153230.jpg

Goblin Mobs and Goblin Update – Free and Members:

You thought it was safe to loiter around the mining sites of RuneScape? You were wrong! Goblin Mobs will be springing up, and the green pests will be claiming the sites as their own. Go face-to-face with the grotty blighters, spy their new graphical rework, and kill them before they do something particularly nasty. If that doesn’t sate your bloodlust, travel to the reworked Goblin Village and take down some boss goblins!

While the content is aimed at less-experienced players, there will still be rewards to tickle your fancy: combat XP, a suit of goblin armour, an axe, and two goblin shields - one of which will offer combat XP multipliers. So, you'll need to hunt those warty scallywags before they claim the free game as their own.

What’s Mine is Yours – Free and Members:

Among the ghosts, dragons, skeletons and spirits this month, one update stands out as being on the lighter side. You could even call it happy.

pq_thumb-01153454.png

Available to free players and members, What’s Mine is Yours will replace Doric’s Quest, retaining its themes but expanding the plot into something grand. Become Doric the dwarf’s business partner, investigating a cruel conspiracy that threatens to thrust him into bankruptcy. Get his business back on track and see it flourish, with Doric’s smith upgrading and growing to reflect your hard work.

While the quest has low-level requirements, there’ll be post-quest orders for high-level smiths to complete, gaining you a lump sum of 13,000 Mining XP and 48,000 Smithing XP. You’ll also be the proud owner of a Gofannon amulet that awards double XP when Mining or Smithing, up to a total of 144,000 additional XP.

ecto_thumb-01153303.png

Halloween Event: Haunted Houses – Free and Members

This year’s Halloween event asks an important question: are you righteous or heinous? Pick a side and take part in a world-wide ghost hunt, cooperating with likeminded players to explore the houses of RuneScape, searching for escaped ghosts from the afterlife. Bust that ghost, feel good, gather its ectoplasm and score a vital point for your team so you can gloat over your opponents.

Gain small amounts of Prayer XP and ectoplasm, which can be used to purchase reversible robes, displaying your team of choice (Go Team Heinous!), or the mighty ectoplasmator, a bonecrusher-style item that hands you Prayer XP whenever you kill a ghost, including Barrows Brothers and revenants. All you have to do is keep the ectoplasmator in your inventory.

Duel Arena Tweaks – Free and Members:

At the devil’s tail of this month, we’ll be making some tweaks to the Duel Arena. This is a spit-and-polish on the interfaces, including a couple of new features: a rematch button, making it easier to organise a revenge bout; and a function that saves your favourite settings with one click.

Solomon Store Exclusives

The hairstyle and facial hair systems are getting a makeover this week, as Solomon expands his repertoire to offer a range of amazing new avatar customisations. This includes 18 new hairstyles (10 female, 8 male) and 2 facial hair options, all supporting two tone colouring. The method of changing hairstyles & facial is also being overhauled, allowing you to change your style on the fly within the Customisation Interface

Later on in the month, the dwarven warsuit pack will make you the toast of Keldagrim, as it includes some bulky mechanised armour, a shield, sword, metal crossbow, two emotes, two teleport anims and a title.

We will also be offering a 'Choose Your Own Outfit' consumable. This item can be used on any of your favourite items to make them a cosmetic over-ride, in the same manner as the other Solomon Store items. Enter battle with a party hat or Halloween mask, when you are really wearing (and risking) a dragon full-helm, for example.

You won’t be able to move for updates this month, and we’re confident that they will all send a chill down your spine.

Have fun!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Before the mass phat crash occours, please read:

We will also be offering a 'Choose Your Own Outfit' consumable. This item can be used on any of your favourite items to make them a cosmetic over-ride, in the same manner as the other Solomon Store items. Enter battle with a party hat or Halloween mask, when you are really wearing (and risking) a dragon full-helm, for example.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Does kbd update mean our pet dragons will finally look terrifying???

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

1. borrow party hat for 2 minutes

2. set as default hat

3. return party hat

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

Solomon Store Exclusives

The hairstyle and facial hair systems are getting a makeover this week, as Solomon expands his repertoire to offer a range of amazing new avatar customisations. This includes 18 new hairstyles (10 female, 8 male) and 2 facial hair options, all supporting two tone colouring. The method of changing hairstyles & facial is also being overhauled, allowing you to change your style on the fly within the Customisation Interface

I was hoping we'd see new hairstyles sometime ... but not this way :(

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Depressing. For a moment I thought I saw Kalphite King :(.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I was hoping we'd see new hairstyles sometime ... but not this way :(

The method of changing hairstyles & facial is also being overhauled, allowing you to change your style on the fly within the Customisation Interface

This part interests me, in a sort of neutral "what could they mean by that?" way. The optimist in me hopes it means that the customization interface will be used for non-Solomon player customization as well.

• Like 1

Inb4 tons of fake phats are worn all over the land. Sounds like the lending system all over again. "That isn't your phat." "Yes it is." "Show me in trade or it's fake." "*Sigh*"

Seems like a lot of content packed into October. Integrating Hair and Facial changes into Solomon's Store doesn't sound like a bad idea. Too bad the new styles will cost money. Overall I don't mind this month though. For once, Squeal of Torture isn't mention, which just automatically brightens my day. I'd rather they focus on Solomon's than SoF.

Wow. Two new quest updates in as many months. So this is what being a member feels like! :P

Really looking forward to the updates this month. I'm in the middle of training Smithing, so some extra xp will go a long way. |^_^|

• Like 2

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Turning some of my gear into cosmetic overrides might get me, depending on how much I am looking for for an entire set. Once EoC hits my main armour will be relegated to a cosmetic role, and I'd rather keep that look rather than turning into literally everyone else in full bandos. It would also be nice since I like the armour to skill in, but it is too heavy to be viable a lot of the time.

Always up for a new quest too, and glad to see that they will finally add the dragon kite kits. Someday...

• Like 1

If I have to pay for new hair...

I know... it's a slap in the face to everyone who hates microtransactions. And all it does is make us more mad over the matter. <_<

~D. V. "In the bucket with you..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

why do you keep making me redo your damn quests jagex

there used to be a time when remade quests were automatically completed for those who completed it

• Like 2

Great month until I got to the bottom... That is NOT what I meant by adding old elements to the customization interface. It should be done by them for free. Instead, it sounds like it's going to cost both real money and the item you use.

Oh well... KBD and dungeons! Yay!

2dgucz6.png

Sounds like a good enough months, holiday events tend to be hit-and-miss, quest reworks are cool, KBD and the dungeon reworks are great as is the Duel Arena. Not that much totally new content but a reworked quest is still a new quest!

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I am actually genuinely excited about this month, I personally really enjoy Solomon, and I am glad they appear to be moving the other avatar customizations into the one solid interface. Now would they please update it so that we can use a full color editor instead of the silly 16 colors we get to choose from now?

Sounds like they have a solid update month! (Finally past the EoC hump maybe?) a new rework quest which I am always a fan of updating old areas, several updates to dungeons, a boss update, and new free to play distraction! Lots of excitement this month (not to mention the events as well!)

Sounds like a good enough months, holiday events tend to be hit-and-miss, quest reworks are cool, KBD and the dungeon reworks are great as is the Duel Arena. Not that much totally new content but a reworked quest is still a new quest!

I actually quite prefer some reworks since we have a ton of old content that is just outdated compared to their current quality standards.

• Like 2

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

[qfc]16-17-413-64022205[/qfc], page 10

A few people have asked about how the 'Choose Your Own Outfit' consumable from Solomons General Store will work and how it affects rares...

The consumable will convert your chosen item into an override for a given equipment slot inside the Customisation Interface. Main hand or off hand items are not supported. You can only convert items for which you meet the equip requirements. While converted into an override, the original item is securely stored by the system, away from the player’s inventory, and thus not tradable. At any time you can clear the override and retrieve your original item.

So this means you -cannot- convert a party hat then trade it away whilst still being able to wear it. It also means you cannot be seen wearing items for which you don't need the normal requirements.

• Like 4

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I'm slowing coming to the conclusion that jagex are dicks and pretty much every cool esthetic thing from now on you'll have to buy with real money. I'm guessing no more stuff like necromancer robes or ibis that you can actually earn playing normally in the future.

In a way this is worse than f2p games because in f2p games you can actually trade the esthetic stuff, so whilst I never spend real money in f2p games I can just make legit money and buy the stuff off lazy people who waste their inrl money on it. In RS you can't trade them so means I can't get the costume full-stop. It wouldn't be perfect because lazy people get in-game money for buying and selling it, but lesser of two evils as far as I'm concerned.

The goblin stuff doesn't really add anything for me. The newbs are gonna like it, I remember as a newb I really wanted to actually WEAR the goblin armour we'd find. So now they'll be able to kill a little boss and get it. Reworks of quests don't add anything for me either. Just a newb quest. Graphical reworks I don't care about, doesn't add any content to do, again cool of newbs that are discovering the areas or whatever, but meh.

The halloween events are really the only stuff I look forward to.

2480+ total