20-Nov-2012 - Evolution of Combat: Now Live!

Randox

Does Torag's really drain adrenaline now? Did Karil's or any other set effects change? Do Karil's or Ahrim's set effects work with their new dual wields?

From my experience in barrow runs, Torag's effect does indeed drain your adrenaline. Karil is still draining agaility and Ahrim is still draining strength, and I have no idea how those work with their dual wields.

DK's will only become Dead content when they stop dropping the best rings in the game, specially for people with MA's upgrades to jeweled rings. If they become harder to kill to the point less people will kill them, ring prices will Rise, which will provide higher incentive for people to kill them. Dead content is when there's nothing to gain/ too little to bother.

there's enough rings in game (it's been a common drop for years) and it's rare for rings to be removed from game, so it doesn't really matter how many rings are coming in.

Is Nex easier or harder now? Can you kill her w/o top-tier gear?

I did 1 trio kill with gano and PPS just for fun, easier for sure.

what are the optimal tactics for nex now?

Optimal setups seem to cater to magic damage now, using virtus with mwand (air surge) + arcane and switching to staff (soa if using abs) for increased damage during blood phase. Reavers during blood phase get picked off by royal xbow/dual ccbow.

They didn't do a good job at balancing out ability damage with different weapons.

Right now, if you use a weapon that has the fastest attack speed, you will deal normal damage with abilities. If you use a fast weapon, your damage with abilities will be reduced by 20% and if you use an average speed weapon, your damage with abilities will be reduced by around 33%.

After maxing a couple of times with different weapons with Punish (100% weapon damage ability), these were the results:

Bronze dagger (fastest): 146

Bronze longsword (fast): 128

Bronze 2h sword (average): 140

So, until they fix this, it's best to use a weapon that has the fastest attack speed.

It's better to use weapons that are 2h. Your max hit with the bronze dagger is greatly, greatly skewed by your 99 strength, and if you compared for instance vine whip versus godswords, you'd see that the godswords turn out a much higher max hit with abilities.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

It's better to use weapons that are 2h. Your max hit with the bronze dagger is greatly, greatly skewed by your 99 strength, and if you compared for instance vine whip versus godswords, you'd see that the godswords turn out a much higher max hit with abilities.

Thank god for that, I thought I'd just missed a rare opportunity for binding a primal dagger!

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

I have Primal Dagger + Flameburst Defender bound for dual-wield abilities but I'm not really sure how to gauge effectiveness... Honestly I started using Primal Spear after a bit of that and never went back, and actually haven't been back to DG at all due to the intolerable amount of DCing I 've been experiencing... :mellow:

2dgucz6.png

So, want to get Ahrims wand. Doing barrows. Know what I noticed in beta? Akrisae is OP as [bleep] because of his protection prayers. Know what i noticed like a month later in the real game? Akrisae is OP as [bleep] because of his protection prayers.

Oh and fyi I did report that to Jagex during the barrows beta. I can complain about it because there's no way they didn't know about it.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Well, PvM sure is a lot easier in GWD now.

Did a few 4h trips duo in bandos and multiple solo 2h trips in zammy - no problem. trio 4h in Armadyl and a solo 1h in sara.

I would say that there is a big difference DPS wise how you use your abilities (taken from my personal opinion in over 20 hours bossing so far in EOC)

For example, in a duo bandos situation, sometimes when you're dealing decent damage with regular abilities, it is best to build up to 100% and then use ultimate. Mostly though when you're not dealing enough DPS with regular it is best to use one or two thresholds before finishing boss with your ultimate abilities. In a solo zammy situation, mostly you are better off building to full adrenaline, then using ultimate (metamorphysis or however it is spelt), then quickly building to threshold (asphyxiate).

I like the new combat, because now it actually requires you to think and line up your abilities correctly. Had a lot of fail crashers coming at us in Bandos, but since we had our abilities up correctly, they all left after a few tries.

Not to say that some things need to be changed, for example, I personally think wands are a bit too overpowered compared to 2h staves(or chaotic staff is underpowered?). Otherwise it is all good, I would like to state again, that I am very happy that my thinking ability gives me a distinct advantage in PvM, at least for now – until we have guides for everything and everyone can find the best combination of fansites.

purekilljoy.png

I think it's important that the default state is a full adrenaline bar rather than an empty one. Otherwise pvp (especially wilderness) starts off so sluggishly. I imagine it's very hard to kill someone quickly enough to prevent them from teleporting.

Starting with an empty bar does prevent rushing, and rarely anyone teles unless they certainly know they will lose or do not want to fight, and they will do that straight away anyways.

So, want to get Ahrims wand. Doing barrows. Know what I noticed in beta? Akrisae is OP as [bleep] because of his protection prayers. Know what i noticed like a month later in the real game? Akrisae is OP as [bleep] because of his protection prayers.

Oh and fyi I did report that to Jagex during the barrows beta. I can complain about it because there's no way they didn't know about it.

did you try using ranged Bind ability on him? Ranging/Maging him would benefit from the bind greatly, as he only attacks at melee range

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I think it's important that the default state is a full adrenaline bar rather than an empty one. Otherwise pvp (especially wilderness) starts off so sluggishly. I imagine it's very hard to kill someone quickly enough to prevent them from teleporting.

That's intentional. That said, I remember getting some sort of new feature message when I got 85 magic that sounded like it might have been helpful here...

Use a range Mage combo I can bring him down in a reasonable amount of time without any food. Melee however is terrible for him.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Use a range Mage combo I can bring him down in a reasonable amount of time without any food. Melee however is terrible for him.

I went in elite void (~300-350 defense across all styles) and he took out close to half of my food. Much like during the early beta, he out-damages Dharok.

He seems to be the only brother who can hit over 1000 (except for Dharok), is his attack mage or melee based? It shows with the magic icon but I don't feel confident that his attack is magical in nature.

Anyway I just skip him now, all the prayer/gear switching means this brother adds a ton of time to my trips.

6Ij0n.jpg

Use Bind shot on him at the start of the fight, that should keep him away from you for a long part of the fight.

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

This is the setup I use, I can generally do 1 chest (all 7 brothers) per overload dose. I use the polypore spell.

[spoiler=Barrows Setup]barrowsvd.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Can't yoyu like, Dual wield a Rapier and a CCB to offset his prayer?

Rapier, or melee in general, is terrible against Akrisae and you're not churning out over 1000 every hit so you'd be wasting shots with dual wield? Idk.

Binding shot sounds like a good idea, don't know why that never crossed my mind when I've been using impact on every other brother -.-

6Ij0n.jpg

That's intentional. That said, I remember getting some sort of new feature message when I got 85 magic that sounded like it might have been helpful here...

Intentional yes, good no. And teleblock sucks, don't forget you can't use barrage with it, or Vengeance/Disrupt shield if you're not maging (and if you're not maging, accuracy is also an issue).

Imo it'd be much more interesting to start the fight off with ultimates (or not, depending on your style). Combat isn't something that lasts for a long time, it should be done quick (I'd almost say, efficiently).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Intentional yes, good no. And teleblock sucks, don't forget you can't use barrage with it, or Vengeance/Disrupt shield if you're not maging (and if you're not maging, accuracy is also an issue).

Imo it'd be much more interesting to start the fight off with ultimates (or not, depending on your style). Combat isn't something that lasts for a long time, it should be done quick (I'd almost say, efficiently).

I think adrenaline would work best as a sort of positive negative scale. of -50 - +50

We are in the middle by default.

Thresholds should require 0.

Ultimate +50

Basic anything.

That way we aren't dumped into fighting with very limited powers, but at the same time we aren't instantly on ko moves.

And Ultimates could then drag you down into the negatives when fired off.

Idea sort of being by using that much power to attempt a ko or w/e you are hindering yourself for a little while. Where as normal combat you should be able to keep up decent dps via thresholds, though spamming them opposed to tactical use would drag u down below 0 forcing you onto basics.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

This is the setup I use, I can generally do 1 chest (all 7 brothers) per overload dose. I use the polypore spell.

That's a tiny screenshot, can't really make it out that well.

Prayer Cape

Full Gano with Barrow gloves

RoW

Polypore staff

fury

Karil top and bottom

Crystal Bow

Verac's Top and bottom

Zamorakian spear

3 ovl flasks, 3 renew flasks, 3 prayer flasks, drakan's medallion and 6 rocktails.

• Like 1

tim_chenw2.png

That's a tiny screenshot, can't really make it out that well.

Prayer Cape

Full Gano with Barrow gloves

RoW

Polypore staff

fury

Karil top and bottom

Crystal Bow

Verac's Top and bottom

Zamorakian spear

3 ovl flasks, 3 renew flasks, 3 prayer flasks, drakan's medallion and 6 rocktails.

awesome :)

im glad ive had my zammy spear since forever and a half ago, its a pretty BA 2h weapon now with EOC, its a shame it doesnt share the same attack speed as a whip anymore though, haha

Can I ask why you take renewals and normal prayer potions?

My only guess is because you use renewals to counter the drain effect inside the crypts and tunnels, and then pot up to full after each run. I was wondering whether prayer was really necessary, Dh and Ka aside, when you're already wearing armour which provides very high resistance to their attacks anyway.

Unless it has something to with Akr. I've not completed ROTM so...

I take both because I use SS when I can off the renewals, but if you have a particularly shitty run you have some extra prayer on demand for emergencies, the prayer renewals pretty much cover the drain rates for the whole place and I use the regular pots to get extra things as necessary. Also I'm done Mort 4 diaries so I get the slower drain rate which might effect things for other people.

• Like 1

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

I found out that there is a safespot for Akrisae. Looking from Verac's tomb it's the back right corner. Open the tomb, run to the corner and he gets stuck behind a rock. Then you can kill him safely with range and mage.

• Like 2

Has there been anything said about fixing dual-wielding being underpowered? Maybe it's just me but dual-wielding at the moment seems rather pointless, due to the offhand not being effected by abilities, unless using Momentum where it is probably slightly better (less overkill).