25-Mar-2013 - Wilderness Warbands

Unknown_Warrior

Also totally agree on the 8 hours being too sparse, I can see they need to be rare due to high xp payout but couldn't you limit them to x-per-day like all the other D&Ds then bump em up to 4 hourly?

The reason they want so few is so that everyone who's doing them will be doing them all at once. There's no point to it if there's no competition, so there has to be a good crowd for every warband.

If they capped it at 3 a day (the most you can do in a 24 hour period atm) and doubled the rate to 4 hourly (so there's only 6 in a 24 hour period) how exactly would they become super sparse?

The trouble with 8 hourly, as i covered in my post, is it can end up with a cycle where you can never actually reach the content.

It's simple. You've now spread out all those people over twice as many spots, and so you have half the player density per game. They want a really high player density per game in order to enable the pk-er aspect they want.

Not entirely true.

If more people can access the content due to the run times not excluding them entirely then you'd get like 150-200% more players per day than from the 8 hour games, so even with the extra time slots player density wouldn't take too much of a hit.

Plus like I said it wouldn't become super sparse - they'd still be enough for a decent competitive pker element.

It's all very well extolling the virtues of the 8 hour cycle, especially if you CAN get there - but it doesn't alter the fact its a poor choice as it is entirely possible that a lot of people simply cannot play at any of the times.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Also totally agree on the 8 hours being too sparse, I can see they need to be rare due to high xp payout but couldn't you limit them to x-per-day like all the other D&Ds then bump em up to 4 hourly?

The reason they want so few is so that everyone who's doing them will be doing them all at once. There's no point to it if there's no competition, so there has to be a good crowd for every warband.

If they capped it at 3 a day (the most you can do in a 24 hour period atm) and doubled the rate to 4 hourly (so there's only 6 in a 24 hour period) how exactly would they become super sparse?

The trouble with 8 hourly, as i covered in my post, is it can end up with a cycle where you can never actually reach the content.

It's simple. You've now spread out all those people over twice as many spots, and so you have half the player density per game. They want a really high player density per game in order to enable the pk-er aspect they want.

Not entirely true.

If more people can access the content due to the run times not excluding them entirely then you'd get like 150-200% more players per day than from the 8 hour games, so even with the extra time slots player density wouldn't take too much of a hit.

Plus like I said it wouldn't become super sparse - they'd still be enough for a decent competitive pker element.

It's all very well extolling the virtues of the 8 hour cycle, especially if you CAN get there - but it doesn't alter the fact its a poor choice as it is entirely possible that a lot of people simply cannot play at any of the times.

with different worlds having different times, they could quite easily hop

baileydafrog.png

Having now attempted one of these I see my thoughts on the 'bad' route and sabotage are well founded:

People run in and get seen to grief or because they are battle hungry - this entirely disables the drain and switch of the obelisk and without the opposing forces to divert attention the camp people are kind OP to try and fight, made worse by the fact many will then bail as they came armourless. Leaving the camp to linger on basically unbeatable and useless.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Not entirely true.

It's all nice and dandy to make a D&D occur more frequently and then limit the amount of times you can play it per day, but tell me, when Sinkholes was running on its 30 minute reset cycle, did you ever manage to get a game going 8 hours or later after the reset?

Either way it's going to screw people from certain timezones/lifestyles out of being able to play this piece of content the maximum number of times per day; at least the 8 hour cycle makes sense in that it caters to each major continent of players, and by making it much less frequent, people who want to play will definitely make an attempt to show up whenever the next warband is about to gather because they might not get another chance in that day.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Since learning the worlds are staggered at half hour intervals the time thing isn't an issue.

What is an issue is an issue, currently, is it seems to be hard to actually predict when they are going to occur. Hazarding a guess I'd say the discrepancies seen thus far from Rswikis times are caused by the 8 hour timer starting when a camp finishes. So on a busy world your talking like 5-10mins if the camp gets downed, but if the camps linger for say an hour if unfinished (which is often the case it seems as they are a pita if some douche runs in the middle and ruins the siphon/summon allies bit) then it offsets them by an hour.

Please Jagex just give us a timer of Quarcus!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

With how few things have meaningful prayer bonuses, i'd say ardy cape is, for the most part, better than skill capes. And there are really very few places you'd want to use an overall cape over a class specific cape now that there are no defensive incentives.

...And now all I can think about is how good the soul wars cape used to be for that, except it got nerfed into the ground at the start of the beta. :razz:

It's annoying Jagex didn't add something so simple as a "a new warband will appear..." considering this goes on a rolling timer and not a fixed timer like Big Chinchompa and sinkholes. Pretty soon 2 theme worlds will pop up and I can see a friendchat for people outside those worlds.

What I want to know, how long will serious pkers stay around for this update or if this update pulled some players from 07scape with the hope of the return of pking. From what I gathered, very few risked higher than royal d'hide/crystal bow or batwing or grifolic/polypore staff and rune armor/whip and ee. I don't much about pking, but it seems that they aren't hardcore pkers.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Left click bank all is a nice time saver, the rest of this update is :thumbdown:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

EDIT: Adding more info for interested.

So I went to 5 warbands and learned some things.

1) When you get there, it is easy to disrupt the beam without being seen. Just stand at the outer edges of the camp and "siphon" the beam. Doing so turns multicombat on.

2) If you get seen run behind the tent and you should be able to continue. It's when you just stand there that the leaders are alerted.

3) The warband leader is fairly strong with a lot of hp, and he likes to use AOE abilities in a wide range.

4) If you mess up, you have to kill all the NPC's at the camp. If successful, a rival camp does the dirty work for you.

5) Half the time people just rush, so you likely mess up and can can only loot for 5 mins. Loot can't be stored in a BoB nor can use you the Pack Yak's winter storage scroll.

6) There is a friendchat for Warbands: King Warband. Everyone in the chat is suppose to practice the no kill rule. If you kill someone in the chat, they turn on you and will kick you from the chat. Likewise, they try to kick spies, backstabber (bser), and those who falsely alert the chat to a active location.

7) Specking of locations there are only three: West of the Black Knight Fortress, south east of Red Dragon Isle, and somewhere near the lava maze.

8) Pk clans show up relatively 2 minutes after you get to loot in which it becomes a kill fest.

And this is an idea of the type of exp you get from doing it.

warbandsexp_zpse11ce40e.png

More than twice that of troll invasion. My herblore level is 90.

29386_s.gif

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Even more info

1) In comparasion to looting, the prayer and summoning exp is not that great. Last warband I went to, I recieved 9k prayer exp for helping disrupt the beam, (came sorta late), and 36k exp for summoning. My levels are 92 prayer nd 89 summoning.

2) You can't log out for 10 sec once you get the wand.

3) You are teleblock but if you can make it to Daemonheim, you can take the boats to Lumbridge or Al Kharid.

4) You can only ever loot three of the five suppies; herblore, smithing, mining, construction, farming. Warband appear at each location for given world.

5) Warbands reset at 0GMT, 4pmGMT, and 12amGMT

29386_s.gif

So I managed to get 4/5 of the Archon pieces and I'm missing the headdress. I also got 2/5 of the warlord set. I wish we could get an armadyl staff or something too.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

So I managed to get 4/5 of the Archon pieces and I'm missing the headdress. I also got 2/5 of the warlord set. I wish we could get an armadyl staff or something too.

in three days i only got one item.. -.-

would be nice if jagex would make another way to get the sof cosmetics when the time runs out. Or even just keep them on the wheel as a rare.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

They already are doing the latter, except that I don't think they changed the rarity of each individual item. Of course the older items will still be rarer even on uncommon and common due to whatever current promotion (in this case the Armadyl/Bandos stuff) having a much higher chance of appearing.

2dgucz6.png