11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

Man, anyone else having trouble with Pincer crew on the eyes?

I've been so accustomed to the standard green, red and blue mix that I've gotten used to it. I can't differentiate Harem of Soothsayers and Travelling Band on a glance like I could with earlier crew.

:(

Yeah Lmfao...

Also sent my sea singer hood scroll 4/4 at 70% with one stat in the pincers. I'm kind of disappointed, but not nearly as much as I will be if it fails horribly and I lose a crew member.

I also got the missionary for 100 spice, but I'm going to skip that.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I should be able to complete Death Lotus chest scroll today, 75% i think it was from Bowl.

Then I am at the mercy of RNG as I have ran out of adventurer rerolls

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

What's RNG?

Random Number Generator aka the basis of basically everything in RS

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Trade goods missions in the Pincers are for 5 goods and not 4, how does that affect the Scythe v. Pincers calculations?

I've been so accustomed to the standard green, red and blue mix that I've gotten used to it. I can't differentiate Harem of Soothsayers and Travelling Band on a glance like I could with earlier crew.

Yeah, I would have liked something more creative than just dumping more guys into one slot.

If I had to redo the Pincers crew I would have gone with:

Morale crew - Heritage Geisha

Combat crew - Ashihama Cannoneer

Seafaring crew - Yamada Shipguide

You can try to imagine the Travelling Band as Queen, though. Lol.

Pop_Crew_Travelling_Band.png

queenw.png

• Like 6

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Trade goods missions in the Pincers are for 5 goods and not 4, how does that affect the Scythe v. Pincers calculations?

Yeah, I would have liked something more creative than just dumping more guys into one slot.

If I had to redo the Pincers crew I would have gone with:

Morale crew - Heritage Geisha

Combat crew - Ashihama Cannoneer

Seafaring crew - Yamada Shipguide

You can try to imagine the Travelling Band as Queen, though. Lol.

Pop_Crew_Travelling_Band.png

queenw.png

Totally agree it seems stupid to reuse like 3 different images all the way through (with a few extras in the Arc) then just totally poop all over that structure and system of colour hats with the last crew - which are kinda wtf? anyway because none of them ACTUALLY sound like useful crew in the names. I mean sure some others like 'farcrier' are made-up but they sound sort of ship-esque.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

So apparently Mod Edam has admitted that PoP won't be getting the set effects that they had initially told us they would be getting. What nonsense. I suspected as much, if they were really sincere about it, why wouldn't they have given it an effect the same time as Nex(after all, they managed to changed the graphics)?

Apparently for some inexplicable reason, they seem to want to keep Nex armours the best, no matter what, defying, completely the spirit of the EoC.

So apparently Mod Edam has admitted that PoP won't be getting the set effects that they had initially told us they would be getting. What nonsense. I suspected as much, if they were really sincere about it, why wouldn't they have given it an effect the same time as Nex(after all, they managed to changed the graphics)?

Apparently for some inexplicable reason, they seem to want to keep Nex armours the best, no matter what, defying, completely the spirit of the EoC.

I especially loved their reasoning for why Nex sets get the effects, but not PoP stuff. "The exponentional curve ensures that the stat gain makes it better" Because you know, every other armor/weapon didn't get this exact same gain. I'm not even sure if I'm excited to get my Tetsu any more, wearing it will just make me feel inferior...

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

Where was this stated? That's ridiculous. I have and will defend nex armours being significantly superior to lower gwd/barrows gear, but the PoP armour should absolutely get the same, if not superior, set effect to Nex gear.

Asmodean <3

Like your above example, a Scythe trade good voyage takes 5 hours for 2 trade goods, while the pincer one takes 13 hours for 4.

Scythe voyages will be at 100%.

Whats a pincer with a merchant? I'll go with 60% since I read that somewhere here.

How many trade voyages you get a day? I average around 1.

If you figure in lost time for failure you get ~3 trade goods a day as opposed to 2 with scythe.

Also, you may have to replace crew and other trade goods in the process of all those failures.

So yeah it's a little better if you wanna work over the ports all day instead of just browsing through the voyages once or twice.

What you need is 100% on 4.

I'm not in pincers so I can't tell if that's possible or not.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Even taking the lost crews into account, doing trade good missions in pincer is far more average trade per mission than doing pincers. In your 60%, you get an average of 3 Trade good mission (4+1 with merchant * 60%, not counting partial successes), which is a lot more than 2 trade good missions in scythe per voyage.

Unless you can reliably do 50% more trade good voyages in Scythe than in pincer (an extremely unlikely scenario given how unlikely you are to roll that many trade good voyages), there is no way I can see that Scythe can be better than Pincer.

Bowl on the other hand is a completely different argument...

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Trade goods missions are 5 each in the Pincers, plus one for merchant. So you need to complete two Bowl missions, three Scythe missions or six Hook missions to get the same amount of trade goods.

You can get decent success rates with merchant: 5 trade good missions require 20000 in a single stat, which you can get 75% on with a merchant (more if it's combat, or, especially, morale). Let's take that as baseline. Everything else is 100%.

That puts Pincers at 4.5 per mission, Bowl at 3, Scythe at 2, Hook at 1.

I don't know how many you think you can roll per day, but it's not going to be more than the ~6 you can do in the Pincers per day, so the question of length isn't so important to me. If you really wanted to calculate hourly averages, it's 173/208/156/156 minutes per resource in Pincers/Bowl/Scythe/Hook. You just can't roll them fast enough.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Even taking the lost crews into account, doing trade good missions in pincer is far more average trade per mission than doing pincers. In your 60%, you get an average of 3 Trade good mission (4+1 with merchant * 60%, not counting partial successes), which is a lot more than 2 trade good missions in scythe per voyage.

Unless you can reliably do 50% more trade good voyages in Scythe than in pincer (an extremely unlikely scenario given how unlikely you are to roll that many trade good voyages), there is no way I can see that Scythe can be better than Pincer.

Bowl on the other hand is a completely different argument...

And once you near 100% success you will be getting almost 2.5x more trade goods per mission in the pincers which leads me to believe that camping a lower region is of almost no use. I mean by 2 weeks you will probably be getting 80-90% success in pincers which is 4 trade goods (4+1 * 80%). Unless you are really terrified of losing crew or something staying in a lower region is a horrible idea. It only pays off in the very short term if that.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Sr8dAGX.png

What's going on there? I thought you could have a max of 2 or 3 of them yet I have none (that's the second time that message has come up).

That's probably a crew reroll.

I don't understand why Jagex can't just remove the cap on bonus rewards, yet implement a daily limit on each of them.

77yLQy8.png

Sr8dAGX.png

What's going on there? I thought you could have a max of 2 or 3 of them yet I have none (that's the second time that message has come up).

That's probably a crew reroll.

I don't understand why Jagex can't just remove the cap on bonus rewards, yet implement a daily limit on each of them.

Yep it is a crew reroll XD thanks.

howlin1eeveesig.png

^Surprising how many people totally overlook that.

Few pages back there was even a picture of someone wtfing over it not giving adventurer reroll when they had 0 when middle item was the book and 'you have too many' and third item was an adventurer reroll so it couldn't be any clearer the middle one was crew.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

^Surprising how many people totally overlook that.

Few pages back there was even a picture of someone wtfing over it not giving adventurer reroll when they had 0 when middle item was the book and 'you have too many' and third item was an adventurer reroll so it couldn't be any clearer the middle one was crew.

I'm told the issue stems from, if you hover over the rewards icon it tells you that it's an adventurer reroll when it's actually the crew one.

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

I don't know why jagex can't make separate colored books for each type of re-roll (voyage-red, captains- green, crew-yellow).

Oh no wait, I know, cause it wasn't an issue until clown-xx abused it and Jagex does their usual super sloppy hot fixes.

Think about it, in temple trekking you used to be able to get the same lumberjack item over and over.

It was completely random.

Then people [bleep]ed about sets being rare so they changed it. (no in game logic whatsoever).

So here we have a certain person or group of persons abusing a single variable, voyage re-rolls.

Instead of capping that variable or removing it entirely, they just slam dunk the entire thing with a reverse lumberjack drop.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Except that the lumberjack outfit was rare and shouldn't have been impossible to get. The port-random rewards could've been handled in a much nicer way (cap how many you can use per day to 1 or something) and don't have a very low cap for holding.. The randoms are rare enough as it is. This would eliminate farming specific random rewards, and remove the hatred when you get no reward because it's maxed already.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Is there any real use for jade golems in bowl and pincers? I am 23% into bowl, not really sure if i should get them or not. because it seems single stat crewmembers with JOD are so much better

purekilljoy.png

I've never bought a golem and I don't find myself missing them. I do still however have 2 chimeras and I'm 90% to pincers.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items