11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

Some people said they were annoyed that the end-story rewards were different from that respective adventerurs rewards...but from the assassin, it kinda seems normal as when he comes back he's like "ahh yes! the death lotus are defeated!" and he brings back lacquer which is used to make death lotus. Doesn't seem too random to me, makes more sense than spices from the assassin. Although I am speaking from never reading the story voyages cause they don't really interest me lol

You kind of answered your own question/musing.

The annoyance had nothing to do with the story content; it had to do with the fact the trade good reward for story for each adventurer randomly differ from their usual trade good.

Like in the example you give the Assassin who only ever gives out spices suddenly gives out Laquer for the story end - people, understandably, assumed an adventurer that only ever gave out spice missions would give a big spice payoff on the story.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Im only now 50% through bowl region with 4 ships full crew untill Pincer and most upgrades. How come everyone else is ahead of me by insane amounts when I have done this constantly from day 1 and not missed much voyages. Did I miss something along the lines?

Im only now 50% through bowl region with 4 ships full crew untill Pincer and most upgrades. How come everyone else is ahead of me by insane amounts when I have done this constantly from day 1 and not missed much voyages. Did I miss something along the lines?

Re-rolls, people rushing to pincers without doing many upgrades, etc...

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

I've not really missed any voyages ina day though. bowl slowed me down being 9 hour voyages etc meaning 6-8 a day

I've not really missed any voyages ina day though. bowl slowed me down being 9 hour voyages etc meaning 6-8 a day

Did you exploit the voyage re-rolls method?

Asmodean <3

It is, only workshop items, and Tetsu legs aren't 120k xp each anymore if the patch notes are accurate. If you make 30k xp worth of items per week, the workshop upgrades are a brilliant 1500 extra xp weekly! My my, isn't that something.

4500xp

30k*0.15=4.5k

Didn't mean that. 5% is base for the workshop, you have to get that anyway. That's not bonus xp. For the other two upgrades, it's 5% per upgrade, amounting to 1500 xp per week (per upgrade). Anyway, onto relevant matters...

You missed a lot of voyages. You're saying 9 hour voyages being 6-8 day with 4 ships - that's very low. Bowl voyages are supposed to be ~7 hours, 12 per day with 4 ships, if not 14 (28/2 days).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It depends on how often you get up, whether you "abused" re-rolls for voyages early on (which gave a pretty significant advantage) and also whether you got 3rd and 4th ships fast enough. It's possible that people got lucky with adventurer rerolls for large chunks of jade to get 4th ship in fewer voyages.

A lot just depends but the biggest factors was exploiting voyage rerolls early, and getting to the 3rd/4th ship faster. Because once you have 4th ship, every single day is 4/3's better than the days for the people who only have 3rd ship. This means that if you get it sooner it provides a bigger boost in time compared to others.

AKA: Once ahead, those players kept getting advantages to go farther ahead.

The biggest impact will be you not getting all voyages in 7-7.5hrs and not being on constantly to check. People who can or are willing to modify sleep+work schedules to fit more voyages in get a huge bonus to their completion rate.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I have been only doing a handful of voyages everyday since day 1 of port (sometimes as low as 5 voyages), haven't got 4th ship yet, but I am at just under 40% bowl.

Scroll progress update: sent out a 75% yesterday (with a merchant snuck on board, don't ask...), if it succeeds, I am 6 scrolls short of having the right side completely lit up :P

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Some people said they were annoyed that the end-story rewards were different from that respective adventerurs rewards...but from the assassin, it kinda seems normal as when he comes back he's like "ahh yes! the death lotus are defeated!" and he brings back lacquer which is used to make death lotus. Doesn't seem too random to me, makes more sense than spices from the assassin. Although I am speaking from never reading the story voyages cause they don't really interest me lol

The annoyance had nothing to do with the story content; it had to do with the fact the trade good reward for story for each adventurer randomly differ from their usual trade good.

Like in the example you give the Assassin who only ever gives out spices suddenly gives out Laquer for the story end - people, understandably, assumed an adventurer that only ever gave out spice missions would give a big spice payoff on the story.

Sorry I think I worded it wrong. What I meant was the story line gave lacquer because of the content of the story, because the adventurer was killing the death lotus people or whatever. This makes sense. It wouldn't make sense if as a reward from completing the story you receive spices. I think it's supposed to be viewed as the story missions and the missions where he offers spices as two completely different things.

A lot just depends but the biggest factors was exploiting voyage rerolls early,

That really is a myth, it becomes significant much later only. I got an adventurer reroll on day one (failed that voyage as well, lol, but ok distance), then none until late in the Bowl, and I'm pretty far (1880 port score now).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Sorry I think I worded it wrong. What I meant was the story line gave lacquer because of the content of the story, because the adventurer was killing the death lotus people or whatever. This makes sense. It wouldn't make sense if as a reward from completing the story you receive spices. I think it's supposed to be viewed as the story missions and the missions where he offers spices as two completely different things.

The Whaler gets swallowed by Shuma in the final Pincers story, and returns with 100 spices.

Arghhhhhhhh.

• Like 4

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Makes me wonder if I should ever use the said spices...

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

So, what are the optimal Pincers crew looking like?

2-4 Merchants

3 Judges

3 Oxheads

5 SF / Morale / Combat

Can use the last spot to look for crew with good traits or another seafaring possibly.. Two merchants might even be enough as well.. That's all I'm using.

So far I've only gotten 1 Oxhead since getting to the Pincers over a week ago. :(.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

A lot just depends but the biggest factors was exploiting voyage rerolls early,

That really is a myth, it becomes significant much later only. I got an adventurer reroll on day one (failed that voyage as well, lol, but ok distance), then none until late in the Bowl, and I'm pretty far (1880 port score now).

what about voyage rerolls? Cause early on if you knew not to spend the prizes, you could start getting voyage and other rerolls constantly.. I don't really know how much that would help, but being first to the 3rd (or 4th) ship gives you an advantage.

Though, you're probably right that the largest reason is people who can do more missions during day (wake up late for ships, or play during the day). Some of us can't do that. (No access to internet/rs game at work) That is the simplest explanation, but I was just listing other reasons why someone might be farther than you.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

2-4 Merchants

3 Judges

3 Oxheads

5 SF / Morale / Combat

Can use the last spot to look for crew with good traits or another seafaring possibly.. Two merchants might even be enough as well.. That's all I'm using.

So far I've only gotten 1 Oxhead since getting to the Pincers over a week ago. :(.

Wouldn't it be worth getting 6 SF not 5, as we don't get a hull upgrade for SF in Pincers and add in the fact that the Figureine at the front of the boat doesn't have a SF equivalent.

[spoiler=Sig]oliboli1992.png

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

People have several times mentioned math showing that you should always use merchants on your voyages. However this only applies when unlimited possible use for port resources exists. As-is, there's a finite limit to how much use you can get out of extra resources, because eventually you'll get all of the upgrades and buildings. So unless you're going to be repeatedly swapping buildings around, in the end game merchants would only be useful for trade goods missions. I think you're better off sticking to just two merchants, and using the extra slots to level up crew that will be useful for increasing success rates.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

2-4 Merchants

3 Judges

3 Oxheads

5 SF / Morale / Combat

Wouldn't it be worth getting 6 SF not 5, as we don't get a hull upgrade for SF in Pincers and add in the fact that the Figureine at the front of the boat doesn't have a SF equivalent.

It's better to have 6 of all 3 basics because with 4 ships and 5 of each you'd likely run out of crew for the 4th ship with only 5 of each

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Hmmm, finally hit pincers last night, saved my barmaid voyage for it, but got a cherry wood voyages so rolled it for a steel one.

I also been saving all my seafaring/morale/combat boosts and i also saved up my voyages re-rolls, managed touse them to get the oxhead voyage unlock, found it really hard to get more than 55% toward the total so i used the boosts to get it up to the 75%, hopefully when i get home from work i should have it unlocked. I need to start stock piling all the steel for crews, going to need more merchants too, I seem to find that 70% of my voyages only want seafaring stats, which is hard enough to get with only 6 SF crews.

Also got crew re rolls stacked up for when i've unlock oxhead to hopefully roll one sooner rather than later...

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

2-4 Merchants

3 Judges

3 Oxheads

5 SF / Morale / Combat

It's better to have 6 of all 3 basics because with 4 ships and 5 of each you'd likely run out of crew for the 4th ship with only 5 of each

This is funny. If you go back a few pages you'll see the combo I built and all the success rates. You want more oxheads.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

2-4 Merchants

3 Judges

3 Oxheads

5 SF / Morale / Combat

So far I've only gotten 1 Oxhead since getting to the Pincers over a week ago. sad.png.

This is funny. If you go back a few pages you'll see the combo I built and all the success rates. You want more oxheads.

I saw that but i didn't understand it, couldn't you have simplified it as how many of each? I don't care much for the calculations i just want it in simple numbers so i don't have to try and work it out.

Oliboli1992.png