11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

or the repair kits would just fall to a very low value (~200-300k). Ports armor is valued low because superiors reqs really aren't all that high, so everyone has made their own by now.

• Like 1

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

There is a good subset of players who can't make the armour, I'm by no means saying it'll ever reach nex type values; but repairability on the buyable version would help to sustain semi-decent value for the armour opposed to letting ports slowly descended in to dead content due to next to no profitability.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Wouldn't repair kits cut down on profitability? People would be able to cash out on their trade goods more frequently, and this increased pressure would end up pushing down the value of the repair kits. Likewise, if players only need to buy a single copy of the tradeable armour, demand (and value) for that goes down too.

One contributing factor that probably makes scrimshaws much cheaper is the fact that you can craft them more frequently, which does tend to keep the market more stocked and prices down.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

True but on the flip side of matters the fact you cannot repair the armour drives away a fair portion of potential demand lowering the value of the armour itself.

Repair kits would no doubt end up quite cheap due to higher volumes hitting the market, but the increased demand for repairable armour combined with a lowered supply through focus on repair kits ought to help nudge values back up a little bit or atleast hold them steady at a decent value.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Still doesn't solve the overriding problem; the fact that t75 power armor (GWD) is uncategorically better than t80 defensive armor (tradeable ports) in basically every instance, and GWD armor is only slightly more expensive.

Even if it doesn't turn to dust, tradeable ports armor is still pretty useless for non-fashionscape reasons.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

Still doesn't solve the overriding problem; the fact that t75 power armor (GWD) is uncategorically better than t80 defensive armor (tradeable ports) in basically every instance, and GWD armor is only slightly more expensive.

Even if it doesn't turn to dust, tradeable ports armor is still pretty useless for non-fashionscape reasons.

when did GWD armor become t75? Pretty sure its still 70. You can get into Vorago teams with ports tradeable, last I checked you could not do that with GWD.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

when did GWD armor become t75? Pretty sure its still 70. You can get into Vorago teams with ports tradeable, last I checked you could not do that with GWD.

he means nex

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

lol... this is why i prefer the old school server

Better have ports being practically useless than having skills in OSRS actually and completely useless (only 90 RC is of any use, 90 crafting doesn't yield non-tradeable benefits, and 90 smithing is outright useless).

Sure, Port armor doesn't have a lot of use right now, but being able to make tetsu armor and have it look good is much more useful than DIY'ing your own rune scimitar.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Also, only chimes of the normal goods have that cap, every other resource (except for trade goods) do not.

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

Better have ports being practically useless than having skills in OSRS actually and completely useless (only 90 RC is of any use, 90 crafting doesn't yield non-tradeable benefits, and 90 smithing is outright useless).

Sure, Port armor doesn't have a lot of use right now, but being able to make tetsu armor and have it look good is much more useful than DIY'ing your own rune scimitar.

I use port armours almost everywhere :thumbsup:

Tanking is boss D:

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I use port armours almost everywhere :thumbsup:

Tanking is boss D:

but you can tank everything in game in nex armor...

DM0Yq2c.png

I have both Nex armor and PoP armors and sometimes I feel much safer wearing PoP armor even though it would be much more time consuming to replace than Nex armors (I wear PoP for QBD for example, Haven't tried with Nex yet).

Besides, it is still a "If you don't have Nex armors, use this instead" kind of Item rather than "If you only have this you may as well use Rune..."

• Like 2

tim_chenw2.png

I have both Nex armor and PoP armors and sometimes I feel much safer wearing PoP armor even though it would be much more time consuming to replace than Nex armors (I wear PoP for QBD for example, Haven't tried with Nex yet).

Besides, it is still a "If you don't have Nex armors, use this instead" kind of Item rather than "If you only have this you may as well use Rune..."

I wouldn't say its a 'use this instead' item for nex gear.

Based pn the tank vs power armour binary in most situations the rankings go:

Nex > GWD > PoP > Barrows

Because basically nothing needs more defence than GWD gives, and the added dmg of GWD and nex gear makes for faster kills.

It's only marginally better than Barrows because it will mean you use slightly less food.

I mean it does still have it uses, good for high end boss tanker role and good for certain bosses where your less experienced and want to extended your survivability, but in pure metagame terms its borderline redundant.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I can +1 to all of this.

Before I had nex gear, I always used gwd.

Then I got nex gear, and I always used that over gwd, obviously

Now I have ports... because I also have nex gear, I don't use it. :'(

Well MAYBE sea singer because I don't have virtus yet, obviously.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I don't have any of the Nex Gear so i'm using Ports. I don't PvM or PvP at all, so I only need armour for fighting in monthly minigames & quests. Doesn't seem worth it to spend all that money on Nex stuff when i've got the Port stuff for "free", yes time effort could have sold it etc.. 

Just sent out the Defence of Hyu-Ji?? mission, took me ages to get 90 thieving after this was released, I had the others at 90 already.. 75% was the best I could get so fingers crossed.. 13 scrolls left, all buildings are done so i'm just building Jade Statues atm. I haven't got the fletching levels for the higher scrimshaws, nor do I intend to level fletching as it's boring as hell. So they can just come as they come.

Overall PoP has been incredibly enjoyable. I do wish they'd add in other few random events though. Getting fairly sick of being told "it's a man" by the Death Lotus barrel people. And 10 minutes to do Surula bar keep job is laughable. Make it 2 mins. Can't wait for whatever v2 brings!!

• Like 1

I don't have any of the Nex Gear so i'm using Ports. I don't PvM or PvP at all, so I only need armour for fighting in monthly minigames & quests. Doesn't seem worth it to spend all that money on Nex stuff when i've got the Port stuff for "free", yes time effort could have sold it etc..

Just sent out the Defence of Hyu-Ji?? mission, took me ages to get 90 thieving after this was released, I had the others at 90 already.. 75% was the best I could get so fingers crossed.. 13 scrolls left, all buildings are done so i'm just building Jade Statues atm. I haven't got the fletching levels for the higher scrimshaws, nor do I intend to level fletching as it's boring as hell. So they can just come as they come.

Overall PoP has been incredibly enjoyable. I do wish they'd add in other few random events though. Getting fairly sick of being told "it's a man" by the Death Lotus barrel people. And 10 minutes to do Surula bar keep job is laughable. Make it 2 mins. Can't wait for whatever v2 brings!!

Best you should be able to get to is 88-89% with the best set up and three of each booster from doing ports randoms so 75% is pretty good.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword