11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

Actually its 3 sets of 2 adventurers.

Yes, and there are also two quest lines that feature three of the adventurers each. One can only assume the trio voyages can only be done once the three adventurers in question have had their individual and duo quest lines completed.

Sylpheed.png

Now you need to make it calc faster =d. Still takes multiple minutes to calc...

There's not much I can do about that, sadly. I have optimized it as best I can. I just added a small note at the bottom of the results display that informs you of the calculations it performed (each calculation = one combination), to provide an idea of why it takes so long. :P

As an example, with 25 crew members and 5 captains, the configurator goes through 21,517,650 (I believe) unique combinations. The best suggestion I can provide is to use the latest version of your browser, as it should perform JIT compilation of the JavaScript and optimize it further. On my computer, the max combinations takes one minute to perform (Core i7 920). I can understand that it would be painful on weaker computers (e.g., Atom or ARM).

I'd suggest a couple of things to help improve things a bit in terms of the calc as a whole

1) Re-tweak the layout - the instructions/save/load bar is kinda in the middle for no apparent reason and based on where it is you'd assume it's only saving crew data but looking at the notepad it's saving the lot.

2) Incorporate the speed stat in now, even if it's not used, so that when we do have enough data to see how much speed saves in either % of time or minutes it can be included in the output (possibly as an optional extra via a tick box seeing as it'd no doubt slow down calcs)

3) If at all possible cause hitting calculate to display a spinning loading symbol or something whilst it works - the blank page with no signs of loading but frozen out is a bit disconcerting; heck you could even have a running counter of calculations run or something.

4) Perhaps have a button on the results screen that when clicked close the window as well as automatically deactivating the used crew.

5) Perhaps swap out 'active' for 'available' - it's just a bit clearer seeing as (in the used context) active could either mean available for use or actively on a voyage where as available is more cut and dry this crew man is available for use.

But yeah only real way to speed things up would be via a back-end database of possible combos, which whilst doable would require server space so perhaps only feasible for a fansite proper; and would still require some calc time as it'd have to cross reference ur crew with the databased combos leaving a tolerance for captains and trait stuff then from the combos it'd have to splice in ur actual crew data to see which fits best; which all in all seems like more hassle than it's worth.

1. Done

2. Will look into seeing if this is useful.

3. Done*.

4. Done.

5. Done.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Note: #3 is only applicable on browsers that support web workers. AKA most things but Internet Explorer versions prior to 10. In browsers where web workers are not supported, then the program will resort to old behavior.

I got a suggestion too:

Would it be possible or feasible to Calc for multiple journeys?

So sending 2 ships at once with different requirements so you can get optimal distribution across your ships for highest chance to send them both.

Ofcourse it should be optional to also pick 100% on the highest rewarding voyage (tick box?).

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I think two ships is the upper limit though since three introduces that lovely issue with having three bodies in a given situation

Instead of having the list of possible options for units pop downwards and make you scroll down every single time, maybe it would be easier to direct the list upwards, or remove the typing thing altogether and turn it into a list that you pick from instead of relying on typing.

8f14270694.jpg

I gotta say, I love how if you talk to the Adventurers they say you are very famous in said skill, like how the Biologist suggests you should write a book on Herbs and the Convict calls you an hypocryte by saying you shouldn't turn him in when you are a legend among thieves.

Just reached the Hook region, I think I'll finish my Gunpowder upgrades, and only then switch to Hook though.

• Like 1

Now you need to make it calc faster =d. Still takes multiple minutes to calc...

There's not much I can do about that, sadly. I have optimized it as best I can. I just added a small note at the bottom of the results display that informs you of the calculations it performed (each calculation = one combination), to provide an idea of why it takes so long. :P

As an example, with 25 crew members and 5 captains, the configurator goes through 21,517,650 (I believe) unique combinations. The best suggestion I can provide is to use the latest version of your browser, as it should perform JIT compilation of the JavaScript and optimize it further. On my computer, the max combinations takes one minute to perform (Core i7 920). I can understand that it would be painful on weaker computers (e.g., Atom or ARM).

I'd suggest a couple of things to help improve things a bit in terms of the calc as a whole

1) Re-tweak the layout - the instructions/save/load bar is kinda in the middle for no apparent reason and based on where it is you'd assume it's only saving crew data but looking at the notepad it's saving the lot.

2) Incorporate the speed stat in now, even if it's not used, so that when we do have enough data to see how much speed saves in either % of time or minutes it can be included in the output (possibly as an optional extra via a tick box seeing as it'd no doubt slow down calcs)

3) If at all possible cause hitting calculate to display a spinning loading symbol or something whilst it works - the blank page with no signs of loading but frozen out is a bit disconcerting; heck you could even have a running counter of calculations run or something.

4) Perhaps have a button on the results screen that when clicked close the window as well as automatically deactivating the used crew.

5) Perhaps swap out 'active' for 'available' - it's just a bit clearer seeing as (in the used context) active could either mean available for use or actively on a voyage where as available is more cut and dry this crew man is available for use.

But yeah only real way to speed things up would be via a back-end database of possible combos, which whilst doable would require server space so perhaps only feasible for a fansite proper; and would still require some calc time as it'd have to cross reference ur crew with the databased combos leaving a tolerance for captains and trait stuff then from the combos it'd have to splice in ur actual crew data to see which fits best; which all in all seems like more hassle than it's worth.

1. Done

2. Will look into seeing if this is useful.

3. Done*.

4. Done.

5. Done.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Note: #3 is only applicable on browsers that support web workers. AKA most things but Internet Explorer versions prior to 10. In browsers where web workers are not supported, then the program will resort to old behavior.

I got a suggestion too:

Would it be possible or feasible to Calc for multiple journeys?

So sending 2 ships at once with different requirements so you can get optimal distribution across your ships for highest chance to send them both.

Ofcourse it should be optional to also pick 100% on the highest rewarding voyage (tick box?).

That would be extremely computationally expensive. I don't think it's feasible, regardless of algorithm.

I think two ships is the upper limit though since three introduces that lovely issue with having three bodies in a given situation

Instead of having the list of possible options for units pop downwards and make you scroll down every single time, maybe it would be easier to direct the list upwards, or remove the typing thing altogether and turn it into a list that you pick from instead of relying on typing.

The drop down box now displays correctly (it will appear above the entry if there's not enough room).

I also added a check that marks crew as dead or dismissed. This means when you perform any operations that reorganize the table (sorting, loading) they will be removed and when performing any calculation they will not be included.

ozXHe7P.png

Same situation. My play time has been seriously diminished since I started my new job so ports couldn't have come at a better time.

Thank goodness for Christmas break coming up!! :).

Also just reached the hook region with my last mission. I sadly lost my second scroll mission as well though. :(.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

That would be extremely computationally expensive. I don't think it's feasible, regardless of algorithm.

Would it help if you made a program instead of it being web based?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

What is a greasemonkey script?

Account Help

Ok, I think I will attempt hook to upgrade my crew first. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how likely I would be to fail hook missions? I'm a little worried that I will be assigned too many missions I can't succeed...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Ok, I think I will attempt hook to upgrade my crew first. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how likely I would be to fail hook missions? I'm a little worried that I will be assigned too many missions I can't succeed...

I got a few 2400/2400's and 4000's, so it shouldn't be too rough if you're already competent at the Skull's voyages. Definitely make your focus on the Hook once you unlock it, and do so ASAP, or else you won't be making much progress otherwise. Gunpowder is immediately outclassed by slate.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

if you've gone through your career focusing on leveling the best crew you can get (as in, don't hold onto the old crew if you can buy better crew) and spread the exp around evenly (boosting when you can), you should be able to clear the lower end voyages in the next tier without issue.

note that this doesn't necessarily apply to the most expensive crew, just the crew you need to succeed (monocolor units and the best captains) and the means to which you can train them (cyclops/siren based on your supply of goods and availability)

8f14270694.jpg

I got a few 2400/2400's and 4000's, so it shouldn't be too rough if you're already competent at the Skull's voyages. Definitely make your focus on the Hook once you unlock it, and do so ASAP, or else you won't be making much progress otherwise. Gunpowder is immediately outclassed by slate.

Not necessarily true at all. Now that we have the ability to unlock a third ship, gathering bamboo from the arc is a pretty worthwhile route to take after you have recruited some of the Hook crew members.

Leaving it down to the odd one or two bamboo voyages you would get focusing on another region would take you a stupid amount of time, whereas focusing on Arc and getting the odd 100 slate mission is a good way to go.

Just sent crew on the Chimera mission with a 69% success rate so hoping to get lucky because that thing is a beast. (lolpun)

Also, the Golden katana clansman I just recruited has the lookout ability which increases ship speed by 1%. It also adds some weird modifier to all other crew with the speed stat being displayed as:

Speed (+0% bonus)

Sylpheed.png

What is the collective wisdom on replacing tier 2 crewmembers with tier 3 crewmembers if the tier 2 crewmember already has stats in excess of 500? (I have one that is already at 520.) I'm thinking that though there might be a short term loss, as they progress, the tier 3 crew will quickly have higher stats because of the higher base stat level. Therefore, switching to tier 3 crew makes sense. Does that logic make sense?

What is the collective wisdom on replacing tier 2 crewmembers with tier 3 crewmembers if the tier 2 crewmember already has stats in excess of 500? (I have one that is already at 520.) I'm thinking that though there might be a short term loss, as they progress, the tier 3 crew will quickly have higher stats because of the higher base stat level. Therefore, switching to tier 3 crew makes sense. Does that logic make sense?

Absolutely does, unless the resources needed to recruit that member would mean denying yourself a ship upgrade, which are far more useful than the crew upgrade.

So I sent my 2 story missions off earlier.

Since they both required 3.6k Seafaring and then 3.6k morale or Combat; I decided to upgrade to Oxskin riggins on my ships.

They're beautiful.

700 extra seafaring was well worth it; up to ~80% for each of them :D

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

@Veiva

Say a voyage requires 2400 seafaring and 2400 combat.

Store crew members into three arrays. One for each style. Crew members with more than one trait get stored in multiple arrays. For example, seafaring[0].value = 300 and seafaring[0].name = "Eastern Guide 1" etc. Any special traits should also be stored this way.

Sort each of these three by value (highest to lowest is what I would prefer, but you can do it the other way). I'm not sure if javascript will keep the name with the right value after sorting. I guess it depends on your algorithm.

Then do a while loop that continues as long as the necessary value is > 0. Each iteration will subtract seafaring from 2400. Break it if more than 5 crew members are picked. Apply any special traits as necessary.

When the remaining seafaring value is less than 0, run through the other 2 arrays to make sure none of the picked crew members have a combat level. If they do, subtract it from combat.

Repeat the loop except with combat this time. Break it after combat reaches 0 or 5-#ofseafaringloops iterations.

Unless I overlooked something, that should solve it every time.

I can clarify anything if you need me to. Good luck.

Forgot about the ship. You would have to add in the upgrades after the crew members then subtract crew members until it's barely over the max. Something like that.

You could choose to run the algorithm backwards (with combat being sorted before seafaring) two produce two different solutions that the user could pick from.

1st day in the hook today. I did all my missions and didn't fail any. I even had a mission for 10 spices, which required 10k combat. I had it at 40% but still succeeded! Upgraded to oxskin riggings which give different graphics (weird light blue stuff on masts), and got a few clansmen.

Helical.png

Not necessarily true at all. Now that we have the ability to unlock a third ship, gathering bamboo from the arc is a pretty worthwhile route to take after you have recruited some of the Hook crew members.

Leaving it down to the odd one or two bamboo voyages you would get focusing on another region would take you a stupid amount of time, whereas focusing on Arc and getting the odd 100 slate mission is a good way to go.

If you can complete all the missions within 24 hours anyway an extra ship is just as useless as speed upgrades. Not to mention that 4k slate could easily buy you a replacement for your entire crew or refit your whole ship in one go.

Also I don't know about everyone else, but I'm having trouble even crewing 2 ships with good crews, last thing I need is a third ship to fill up.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

If you can complete all the missions within 24 hours anyway an extra ship is just as useless as speed upgrades. Not to mention that 4k slate could easily buy you a replacement for your entire crew or refit your whole ship in one go.

Also I don't know about everyone else, but I'm having trouble even crewing 2 ships with good crews, last thing I need is a third ship to fill up.

It's more a case of getting the Bamboo now so I don't have to concern myself with it down the road. There are still buildings that require bamboo and with the Tier 3 crew I have now I can already almost 100% Slate voyages.

In addition to that, the amount of time it will take to unlock The Scythe is far greater than it was for Skull to Hook.

Sylpheed.png