11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

Considering that new mage armour requires 100 chi for one part, and most people have just received there 3rd scroll voyage and each set requires 12 in total (3 items requiring 4 scrolls each) I doubt we'll see full armours for a while still.

This

People seem to be getting scroll voyage every other day, if this is true and someone fails 0 of them that makes 24 days to get the scrolls for 1 armour set, then probably 1-2 more days at least to get the trade goods to make it.

It will take more like months...

Each voyage for a trade good is only one trade good.

And you need around 220 for a whole set.

That is thus 220 voyages or months to get that far.

Correction:

Missions seen thus far in the Hook Region only offer 1 trade good.

For all we know later regions could offer much more substancial amounts of trade goods since they will be harder to beat; plus there is likely codes in place to make the non-trade goods less prominent once they are no longer needed in the last region (ergo once all building and ship upgrades are done), plus once their story, duo story and trio story are played out adventurers in port will likely offer higher yield trade good voyages or something.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Now you need to make it calc faster =d. Still takes multiple minutes to calc...

There's not much I can do about that, sadly. I have optimized it as best I can. I just added a small note at the bottom of the results display that informs you of the calculations it performed (each calculation = one combination), to provide an idea of why it takes so long. :P

As an example, with 25 crew members and 5 captains, the configurator goes through 21,517,650 (I believe) unique combinations. The best suggestion I can provide is to use the latest version of your browser, as it should perform JIT compilation of the JavaScript and optimize it further. On my computer, the max combinations takes one minute to perform (Core i7 920). I can understand that it would be painful on weaker computers (e.g., Atom or ARM).

I'd suggest a couple of things to help improve things a bit in terms of the calc as a whole

1) Re-tweak the layout - the instructions/save/load bar is kinda in the middle for no apparent reason and based on where it is you'd assume it's only saving crew data but looking at the notepad it's saving the lot.

2) Incorporate the speed stat in now, even if it's not used, so that when we do have enough data to see how much speed saves in either % of time or minutes it can be included in the output (possibly as an optional extra via a tick box seeing as it'd no doubt slow down calcs)

3) If at all possible cause hitting calculate to display a spinning loading symbol or something whilst it works - the blank page with no signs of loading but frozen out is a bit disconcerting; heck you could even have a running counter of calculations run or something.

4) Perhaps have a button on the results screen that when clicked close the window as well as automatically deactivating the used crew.

5) Perhaps swap out 'active' for 'available' - it's just a bit clearer seeing as (in the used context) active could either mean available for use or actively on a voyage where as available is more cut and dry this crew man is available for use.

But yeah only real way to speed things up would be via a back-end database of possible combos, which whilst doable would require server space so perhaps only feasible for a fansite proper; and would still require some calc time as it'd have to cross reference ur crew with the databased combos leaving a tolerance for captains and trait stuff then from the combos it'd have to splice in ur actual crew data to see which fits best; which all in all seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Correction:

Finally, someone else gets this! :razz:

I just don't want to run ahead of the facts.

The facts now stand 1 trade good per voyage. If at region 6 it can be 10 per voyage we can only be happy then I quess, I just don't want people to get their hopes up just to see it fail.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Correction:

Finally, someone else gets this! :razz:

I was surprised no-one mentioned it. I mean taking it as read 1 voyage per 1 trade good has 2 huge flaws:

1) This is only based on the Hook region - we have 3 harder regions to come yet.

2) Hook Region has only really been unlocked past 24 hours and only by a small minority that had very few fails. Of that already small sample size we are then further cut down to those who actually happened to get a trade good mission and this is further still cut down to those who post on forums about such things.

It's kinda like if there was a country with 6 electoral regions and the vote takes place over 48 hours a news reader has gone to a small old peoples home in 1 region 2 hours into the first day and asked the five residents who would go on camera who they voted for and from this categorically stated how the national vote is going.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

@VMser

I dont quite see that happening.

KaXYR.png

Eye do.

Fixed that for you ;)

Do the statues help much? I just got the assassin and biologist one.

I put the assassin statue up on the second day and she hasn't been back to my port yet. Maybe I'm just unlucky though.

There's not much I can do about that, sadly. I have optimized it as best I can. I just added a small note at the bottom of the results display that informs you of the calculations it performed (each calculation = one combination), to provide an idea of why it takes so long. :P

As an example, with 25 crew members and 5 captains, the configurator goes through 21,517,650 (I believe) unique combinations. The best suggestion I can provide is to use the latest version of your browser, as it should perform JIT compilation of the JavaScript and optimize it further. On my computer, the max combinations takes one minute to perform (Core i7 920). I can understand that it would be painful on weaker computers (e.g., Atom or ARM).

I'd suggest a couple of things to help improve things a bit in terms of the calc as a whole

1) Re-tweak the layout - the instructions/save/load bar is kinda in the middle for no apparent reason and based on where it is you'd assume it's only saving crew data but looking at the notepad it's saving the lot.

2) Incorporate the speed stat in now, even if it's not used, so that when we do have enough data to see how much speed saves in either % of time or minutes it can be included in the output (possibly as an optional extra via a tick box seeing as it'd no doubt slow down calcs)

3) If at all possible cause hitting calculate to display a spinning loading symbol or something whilst it works - the blank page with no signs of loading but frozen out is a bit disconcerting; heck you could even have a running counter of calculations run or something.

4) Perhaps have a button on the results screen that when clicked close the window as well as automatically deactivating the used crew.

5) Perhaps swap out 'active' for 'available' - it's just a bit clearer seeing as (in the used context) active could either mean available for use or actively on a voyage where as available is more cut and dry this crew man is available for use.

But yeah only real way to speed things up would be via a back-end database of possible combos, which whilst doable would require server space so perhaps only feasible for a fansite proper; and would still require some calc time as it'd have to cross reference ur crew with the databased combos leaving a tolerance for captains and trait stuff then from the combos it'd have to splice in ur actual crew data to see which fits best; which all in all seems like more hassle than it's worth.

1. Done

2. Will look into seeing if this is useful.

3. Done*.

4. Done.

5. Done.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Note: #3 is only applicable on browsers that support web workers. AKA most things but Internet Explorer versions prior to 10. In browsers where web workers are not supported, then the program will resort to old behavior.

ozXHe7P.png

@Robert They should be specific to that skill (Jagex wikiing)

Did you finish the initial storyline voyage for those adventurers? (e.g. A Place Called Respite for the Convict or w/e)

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

@Robert They should be specific to that skill (Jagex wikiing)

Did you finish the initial storyline voyage for those adventurers? (e.g. A Place Called Respite for the Convict or w/e)

No I haven't done a story line voyage after meeting them for either one of these people. Both of the voyages are at the bottom (5th and 6th special voyages) which leads me to believe they replace scroll voyages. Although I do also have a special voyage for spices (10) too.

EDIT: For some reason I confused initial storyline voyage with meeting the adventurer sorry.

@VMser

I dont quite see that happening.

KaXYR.png

I do.

That's not a captain.

This is a captain:

gallery_173254_290_23264.png

And I have a mission to add "plucky" which I believe is +40 combat. Now to get the 6500 combat requirement together :-k.

@Above: I'm so jealous! I have the whaler in port atm (whale skull trophy as well) and he gives 6500 seafaring reqs for me :(. 4000 is great.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Wow, what's the difficulty on that 20 spice voyage? Would be much better if we could get more trade goods from the special voyages instead of the standards

Mixed up again it's 10 not 20.

e81cf624ecf0f90e17cd03bfe7622076.png?1355790739

XP voyages are both 6500 in seafaring and combat and only 2:21 long.

Newest captain :thumbsup:

d4f96f08990b8f692e40c40510eb8155.png?1355790884

Cost me 2500 chimes to recruit her though.

Wow, what's the difficulty on that 20 spice voyage? Would be much better if we could get more trade goods from the special voyages instead of the standards

Mixed up again it's 10 not 20.

e81cf624ecf0f90e17cd03bfe7622076.png?1355790739

XP voyages are both 6500 in seafaring and combat and only 2:21 long.

Newest captain :thumbsup:

d4f96f08990b8f692e40c40510eb8155.png?1355790884

Cost me 2500 chimes to recruit her though.

I haven't seen the Loyal trait yet, what's that do?

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

1. Done

2. Will look into seeing if this is useful.

3. Done*.

4. Done.

5. Done.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Note: #3 is only applicable on browsers that support web workers. AKA most things but Internet Explorer versions prior to 10. In browsers where web workers are not supported, then the program will resort to old behavior.

1 other feedback I thought of that you might be able to implement:

When a voyage is calculated and sent out might it be feasible to have a box appear/fill-in akin to:

Voyage 1

Morale 400

Using the data storage so that it can have a button to 'return' they crew.

So via calculation Captain A, Crew 1-5 are marked as unavailable but stored in the data for Voyage 1

Then with a button on voyage 1 you could retick them.

Would add another level of smoothness to functionality and obviously only needs to be built to sustain 4 voyage data sets; seeing as we only get 4 ships max.

Could even potentially take it a step further are allow access to captains stats and crewmen's levels within the voyage storage to allow stream-lined crew updating post-voyage; possibly even with a clear button to remove lost crew.

Edit:

Another potential factor to aid speed:

I'd look at changing the ship upgrades from a tick list to a 'select your best' thing; though you'd need to subdivide deck items into combat, morale and seafaring. Headpieces into rams (combat) and figureheads (morale). and hulls into morale and combat.

Predictably the calc never gives an output using anything other than the best ship upgrades and removing lower tier ones knocks out a large number of calculations.

Rough example:

All gunpowder tier ship upgrades + full crew roster runs to 13-14m calculations.

2nd voyage calc (so 4 capts, 20 crew) with only the best of each ship upgrade ticked only took 2mil calculations.

Plv6Dz6.jpg