11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

I have 2-3 of each crew in the 400-500+ in stats. Not to mention I also have 2 eastern overseers and a siren whalerider. I'm not too concerned. Only thing lacking is having a 3rd decent moral crew member.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

One of my crew died and the ship got destroyed at 85%. Heavy consequences zone is irrelevant sometimes.

Imagine what it would've been at 40% :P.

Account would have been instabanned. Jagex would have sent hitmen to kill my family.

• Like 1

One of my crew died and the ship got destroyed at 85%. Heavy consequences zone is irrelevant sometimes.

Account would have been instabanned. Jagex would have sent hitmen to kill my family.

Seems reasonable.

Seems reasonable.

I sent a 24% success voyage out with a bunch of throwaway crewmembers just to get rid of them. The voyage failed, everyone survived. But it took 300 gunpowder from me after saying it took Slate.

???

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

Just recruited a new crew member with the trait "pilferer". The description says "reduces chance of partial mission success". I guess that means higher chance of not failing?

Actually sounds more like the crew member would steal the partial mission reward. But that's just because it's called pilferer. Might be exactly what you said :P

I would imagine it does not affect actual fail/success rate, only if you roll for a "partial success" where no one is hurt and you get less supplies than you went for, that it bumps it up to a full success. That's how I read it anyways. I would hope it doesn't bump it down to a failure, I hope the pilferering is from your enemies.

Do crew rerolls carryover to the next day if they are not utilized or is the max you can have 15?

You keep the 3 active ones that were available and not hired, but your rerolls max at 15.

Also for whoever said "can only get 1 trade good per mission blahblah"

ports.png

Birdd-1.png

[spoiler=Levels]Birdd.png

Well, I had a really bad port day today. Yesterday I didn't fail one mission, today I failed four (one in the 80% range and another well over 90%). Plus one bannerman dead after a 67% trip. I just sent out my last mission at 53% - couldn't reach the 7k requirement even with good crew and all the ship updates available. Anxiously awaiting the mayhem that will come of it. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

I wonder if it's better to skip the mission when you can't reach +70% or to take the risk rather than gain nothing at all. What tactics are you guys following? Doing all the missions, or do you guys leave some open at the end of the day if they're unattainable?

It depends. How much you risk should be based on what you can afford to lose. If losing that crew member means not being able to meet other voyages for the day, or the resource loss is going to slow you down more than just not going on the trip, then don't.

At some point, it becomes probable that you can progress faster by not completing all your missions.

Ok, not sure if someone else has had a similar experience, but I just sent out a ship with an ETA of 1:08 at an 85% success rate, and no kidding it returned in less than three minutes. I'm sure there's some variation but has anyone else had a noticeably shorter trip? Oh and it was a success btw, so it's not like it failed immediately and then came back to shore.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Ok, not sure if someone else has had a similar experience, but I just sent out a ship with an ETA of 1:08 at an 85% success rate, and no kidding it returned in less than three minutes. I'm sure there's some variation but has anyone else had a noticeably shorter trip? Oh and it was a success btw, so it's not like it failed immediately and then came back to shore.

Something very similar happened to me about 30 minutes ago, was considering posting it here, but was going to guess people would assume I just lost track of missions I had out.

I sent a mission out in the hook region at a time of around 2:20. About 15-20 minutes later it returned in full success. I originally thought I just accidently sent out the bamboo mission I had which would take 20 minutes, but it was still there and there I was with pretty much a free 100 slate for a 20 minute wait :o.

Not even sure how to report this as a glitch because I'm completely unsure how I created it :s

siggy_zps7b2911b4.png

I just had a ship come back about an hour early. I was mighty confused. I'm still confused, but at least I now know that I'm not alone...

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Anyone see an increase in Arc and trait missions today? I'm about 90% through the skull region and maybe saw 1 or 2 bamboo missions the entire way until today. Today I received 5 or 6 Arc and 3 trait missions.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

::
:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

yeah, it feels like they somehow just implemented trait missions and didn't say anything about not having them ready until now

but that couldn't possibly be it

btw hedgey your program seems to be favoring one type of stat over the other or misunderstanding how the system works, because i managed to optimize an all stat type mission higher than it did when i ran it through the simulator, and i double checked my figures to make sure i was using the thing correctly this time

8f14270694.jpg

I reached the Hook with my last voyage today. I am planning on sticking to the Skull for a bit to buy the two buildings I need and level up crew, that's 3500 gunpowder. Does anyone know if I still have a chance at getting Hook voyages? I would like the chance at a few but without risking completely stuck with missions I can't get yet. (I am also still trying to get the Siren mission as well..)

If anyone could confirm whether or not I get some slate missions that would be nice :)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I reached the Hook with my last voyage today. I am planning on sticking to the Skull for a bit to buy the two buildings I need and level up crew, that's 3500 gunpowder. Does anyone know if I still have a chance at getting Hook voyages? I would like the chance at a few but without risking completely stuck with missions I can't get yet. (I am also still trying to get the Siren mission as well..)

If anyone could confirm whether or not I get some slate missions that would be nice :)

Judging by how things have gone in Skull you do get a few other region voyages, like most people had a few bamboo Arc voyages, focus just seems to dictate where the majority of voyages are from.

Side-bar I like many other it seems have noticed Arc missions in Skull region have increased I'm wondering if this is a code factor; eg after x-days the region becomes 'depleted' due to your presence resulting in less missions from that region for a while.

Side-bar too total trolling today: I got given 1 special voyage. No story, no scroll just 1 Voyage for the Convict to go get some gunpowder.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I reached the Hook with my last voyage today. I am planning on sticking to the Skull for a bit to buy the two buildings I need and level up crew, that's 3500 gunpowder.

Obviously if that's how you prefer to play then have at it :). But FYI, there's substantial benefit to advancing to Hook and later backtracking for additional buildings/etc.

As you continue to advance, you'll occassionally get a couple of Skull missions anyway, so it's kind of a waste if you buy everything gunpowder-related before leaving the Skull region. As a more specific example, Hook offers a higher-tier merchant crew member which gives a 20% bonus to resource rewards instead of the 10% found on Arc-region merchants. Given the patterns we've seen in POP so far, there's probably at least one more merchant later on which offers a 30-40% boost.

If you're not capable of doing standard Hook missions, then finish getting ready for sure. But if you have the Skull's ship component upgrades and a decent set of Skull crew, then you're definitely better off heading to Hook ASAP and returning later.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I reached the Hook with my last voyage today. I am planning on sticking to the Skull for a bit to buy the two buildings I need and level up crew, that's 3500 gunpowder.

Obviously if that's how you prefer to play then have at it :). But FYI, there's substantial benefit to advancing to Hook and later backtracking for additional buildings/etc.

As you continue to advance, you'll occassionally get a couple of Skull missions anyway, so it's kind of a waste if you buy everything gunpowder-related before leaving the Skull region. As a more specific example, Hook offers a higher-tier merchant crew member which gives a 20% bonus to resource rewards instead of the 10% found on Arc-region merchants. Given the patterns we've seen in POP so far, there's probably at least one more merchant later on which offers a 30-40% boost.

If you're not capable of doing standard Hook missions, then finish getting ready for sure. But if you have the Skull's ship component upgrades and a decent set of Skull crew, then you're definitely better off heading to Hook ASAP and returning later.

A large part of your reasoning runs on the assumption that crew appear based on region focus which I think is flawed seeing as many of the Arc crew still appear in whilst focused on Skull (eg varrock chef, brimhaven pirate etc.)

Also with returning later - really in terms of progress there's only so far you can apply this as if you don't do the building upgrades you are hindering yourself further down the line I mean lodgings help attract better crew and shipwright gives a boost to your ships.

If you just surge forward ignoring building upgrades it seems to me that your only setting yourself up to be in trouble later on.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

story missions seem to be available only after specific moments; the whaler gave access to the second story mission the moment i entered the hook region, and didn't have it before that point, as in, it just showed up suddenly even though it wasn't rollover yet

i'm gambling on the fact that the generator likes to screw me over with older missions to supply the remaining stuff i need to upgrade the buildings

as for the ridiculously minor attraction bonuses, i theorized that with the accidental tier 4 captain my clan member got, that the bonuses actually refer to getting crew picks that's got better stats than normal

in other words, the buildings aren't really all that helpful unless you've got the coin to pay for advanced units with higher costs

8f14270694.jpg

Sad day today we lost a wonderful swordbearing lass to treacherous men.

Two voyages out and tree left. I feel it's still possible to do all the voyages in a day albeit its hard and little room for slacking off.

Should probably focus on the arc again for bamboo to get stock for my workshop. After that maybe focusing on the skulls again to collect gunpowder.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I'm not saying 3 ships is bad. Just that you better invest in some boat/ crew or your just going to have a third mission that can fail.

Right now from my observations all of the hook voyages I've gotten have been highly manageable with my current crew. I'm not concerned with buying better crew yet, but it'll come soon after.

The difficulty for my voyages went way up, 6.5k single stat requirements etc. which you definitely can't get more than ~60% on with Skull crew and ship parts. And I just had to pay ~500 gunpowder for repairs because I failed a mission at 73% (which is not in the 'heavy consequences' zone), so that 60% is a pretty big risk.

In other news, 80 more slate and I got myself a nice new hull ^^.

You lost your ship? Did you have to buy another one?

howlin1eeveesig.png

I'm not saying 3 ships is bad. Just that you better invest in some boat/ crew or your just going to have a third mission that can fail.

Right now from my observations all of the hook voyages I've gotten have been highly manageable with my current crew. I'm not concerned with buying better crew yet, but it'll come soon after.

The difficulty for my voyages went way up, 6.5k single stat requirements etc. which you definitely can't get more than ~60% on with Skull crew and ship parts. And I just had to pay ~500 gunpowder for repairs because I failed a mission at 73% (which is not in the 'heavy consequences' zone), so that 60% is a pretty big risk.

In other news, 80 more slate and I got myself a nice new hull ^^.

You lost your ship? Did you have to buy another one?

I might be mis-remembering but I believe I 'lost' my ship in one of the early days; the outcome was 5 hours in dry dock opposed to 1 hour.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

So I have the Missionary and Whaler in port today.

Can either do a story mission for both of them (Have the req's for them).

Or I can to missions for them to get me 800 chimes and 300 slate EACH.

Watdo.

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Should have results on what the workshop is like tomorrow. Also back to the arc to collect bamboo to buy it. After that I'm camping gunpowder for other rewards. I'm wonder with the way things are would it be more interesting and worthwhile to sweep through and buy everything you can. The other optio would be to keep bruteforcing it like most everyone else.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png