Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

It's hard for me to get excited about revamped teleport options because I go to like 6 different places in the game ever. Good for lower levels though. I'll certainly use that update on my alt.

• Like 1

Do we need the current lodestones to get arround? No

Does everyone use them? Yes

Adding more lodestones isn't necessary but once implemented everyone will just use them anyway...

• Like 4

Sacrificing efficiency for fun since 1991

angel2w.gif

Dreezer.png

Do we need the current lodestones to get arround? No

Does everyone use them? Yes

Adding more lodestones isn't necessary but once implemented everyone will just use them anyway...

That's the worst part

Since next week Mod Chris L is going to talk about the new boss, I went through the HLF feedback thread to get everything currently known about it.

8zo.png

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

As long as it doesn't involve chain stunning you I'm looking forward to it. KK was nice, but it's "new mechanic" is used maybe 3 times per fight. For the other 97% it just trolls you with stuns.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Or we could get a toolbelt for Drakan's medallion, Ectophial, Explorer's ring, Karamja gloves, Ardougne cloak and all the other permanent free teleport items.

Lodestones are primarily there to help new players. Putting stuff like that in your toolbelt won't really help those newbies if they don't really have the levels for them to begin with. Still that'd be nice.

Newbies aren't supposed to be able to get from one end of the world to the other after walking there once. There should be quest requirements for that, at the very least. Lodestones are too cheap, just like toolbelts.

If that were true, we would've never had lodestones to begin with. We do, that's an obvious design choice they've made, and they're obviously going to stick with it. It's highly unlikely they'll remove the lodestone network now and replace it with something like you've suggested. The bottom line is that lodestones were primarily made for new players to cut down on tedious travel time.

hzvjpwS.gif

I think they are trying to get away from the idea that getting around easily should be a high level luxury with low levels relegated to menial walking.

All of the best ways to get around still require effort, lodestones just offer a more basic means to bypass all the walking

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

New boss? Time to buy another 50k rocktails. :lol:

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

@Kim: Agreed, and I also forgot that to get the Elf lodestone you need a quest anyway (you would've for Canifis, pre-Priest in Peril change). But in my hypothetical ideal re-design of RS, lodestones don't exist. I'd rather see a sort of tiered way of transport, using the main things that influence travel.

Instead of lodestones I would add things like Karamja's cart service, flying carpets and NPC group teleport services with service fees, maybe some enchanted jewellery salesmen (buy a teletab to Varrock, now only 500 gp!).

Then at higher levels, people start teleporting themselves, using runes. These teleports should be cheaper and less clunky than NPC services! There should also be a way to store runes in your pouch or pocket slot or something.

At still higher levels, people learn, from Azzanandra and Sliske for example, to create teleport spells and substitute runes with innate power. This gives you a system like the lodestone system, free teleports to a lot of locations.

Maybe at levels over 90, having done a few grandmaster quests, you can learn to speed up these free teleports as well, and even add locations like the gatestone system.

• Like 3

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

When I started rs07, it was really annoying to get around. That is what they originally adressed, and rightly so.

With the exception of the morytania lodestone(?), what they are doing now is out of the scope of that.

No matter what they do, the scope of a project like that will be easily shot past. The world is simply too small in scale. There's no point in having a seers lode and a catherby lode when they're barely more than 30 meters away from eachother. Likewise there's no point to an Al Kharid and a Lumbridge, and so on and so on.

• Like 2

hzvjpwS.gif

I like the oo'glog lodestone because I don't have to run from mobilising armies teleport everyday. Is there any teleport that gets you near o'oglog that is easy to access?

Either Spirit Tree or ships... Or use up 1 of 2 teleports a day if Big Chinchompa is in this jungle part...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I think the crucial point is to minimize transport time. Transport time is a huge no-no in game design in almost all cases--there's a reason why GW2 has so many waypoints, why Elder Scrolls has fast travel, and why almost every modern MMO and RPG now has some sort of overarching taxi or transport network. Once you've been to somewhere once, it's lost its magic. There is no more wonder and exploration in getting to that place--it's now a chore that only makes you less and less inclined to go to those places. This is especially true in Runescape, even if the distances overall are very short. The smallness of the entire map only means that smaller and smaller distances (even a few seconds) mean more and more in someone's considerations of how and when to go places.

A lot of transport methods in Runescape require you to go somewhere in a slightly easier location to be able to go someplace completely different. (Hero's Guild for glory recharge, Zanaris for fairy rings, random ports for charter ships, etc) While this is fine and dandy, the real way to get people to do more stuff in your game is to have transport methods that are so easily accessible from so many places (or from anywhere at all) that there is virtually no barrier to accessing content. While some folks would call that laziness, it's really not--it's just how the average person works when they're playing something meant as entertainment.

Consider this--if I want to get to the Charm Sprites, my easiest route of transport is currently either to use my once-a-day Char Teleport (not inclined to do so at all), or to use a Varrock(or house) teletab, run to the spirit tree, take a spirit tree to the Grand Tree, and run all the way down to the gate and around to the west. Compare this to Jadinko Lair, where I have a reusable, unlimited teleport that I can use whenever and from whereever I want.

Runescape has traditionally been a game with a lot of transport required to actually get to content. The Lodestones network has been a crucial step in decreasing that transport time, which is likely why so many areas seem much more populated and frequently used since then. It's really something that the game needs, especially once RS3 is released and the game particularly needs to hold its own against the MMO market as a whole.

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

I like the oo'glog lodestone because I don't have to run from mobilising armies teleport everyday. Is there any teleport that gets you near o'oglog that is easy to access?

Are you mining sandstone? Dial AKS and run south.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

well, i hope at some point the house portals are meaningful for something again

@Binary Mage:

you can cut out like half of those steps if you just use the ardy lodestone and run west. even if the grand tree is technically closer, all of those things you do take longer than running west

8f14270694.jpg