Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

2 Updates this month again. Hot damn. 2013 really shaping up uhh..

I dont really count the dwarf graphics due to the fact it was ment to come with the last dwarf quest and it is part of the new dwarf quest.

BOL was already there. It'll likely just be a cutscene.

Is anyone doing a transcript of the info currently being told on the livestream?

I just checked here to see... I saw some scribblings on the RSOF, but nothing organized.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I found tht bts quite dull.

Didn't really tell us anything new other than free cosmics and laws in dg and hard mode lets you pick your boss.

What intrigued me was the concept art on the screens behind him.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Hard mode seems interesting.. so... every skill door being maxed out? umm every puzzle being setup the worst way.. every boss being the highest tier......... the random layout being the worst.. still doesn't sound that difficult.. unless they introduce some extra variations of puzzles and bosses?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I have listened to a lot of podcasts to catch up on what I have missed, and I just listened to today's, and my god are they dull. All of those people who ask the questions need to be shot. It's always the most mundane and insipid questions -- nothing that I find interesting. And the few good ones always get flippant answers:

"Question: How come GM quests aren't as long as they used to be?

Mod Mark: I don't think they should be 4 hours or long for it to be a GM quest. I could make you kill monkeys for 4 hours but that wouldn't be that fun, would it?"

Meh. Maybe someone should tell him that quantity changes quality. We don't want lengthy quests just cuz, we want them to be meaningfully lengthy. It's like University and essays/papers. They always have a word/paper limit. And a minimum limit too. Because there's a certain standard set: certain experiences must have certain lengths.

Also, despite all these podcasts, no one seems to have asked them when the next Mahjarrat sequel is going to be. That's really annoying. I want to know, damnit! Everyone is obsessed with Elves/Seren or Bassica Prime. The former is interesting but not as interesting as the Mahjarrat storyline (not even close), and the latter is a joke people need to get over. I am all for memes and jokes, but are people still asking for content and lore to revolve around a giant cabbage?

Oh, they did mention that there will be at least 3 more World Events, but not more than 10. They did also try to say "I know some people think that the Battle of Lumbridge was a glorified and hollow event, but that's totally not true!" (they actually said something to that effect, it's an accurate paraphrase). I sort of lol'ed. They then went on to say that they want the World Events to be something "special and something that people remember they were there for". More lol. Events are fun and memorable when they aren't just generic grinding. The World Wakes was fun (though too short). The Ritual of the Mahjarrat was fun. While Guthix Sleeps was fun. Branches of Darkmeyer was incredibly fun. Those are things that I think about, cherish, and reminisce fondly about. I don't think the same way about Bol because all I can remember is agonizing grinding. Here's hoping the next World Events are nothing like this one.

• Like 1

GM is just a title that is thrown around these days.

It wasn't always that way. WGS and ROTM certainly were deserving of that title in every respect. It was only the Void Knight Quest (and I am not sure about this, I barely remember it) that gives you Korasi's sword, and the quests since then under the GM title, Brink of Extinction, and TWW (lovely quest, but too short) that haven't been up to standard.

I would like for the title to be treated seriously again.

Also, they said that, to them, the GM label means 70+ in a members skill, and 70-75 in a free skill. Now I don't care about requirements too much, but it's funny that with several thousand maxed players, and people focused on maximizing experience more than ever, that this is the highest standard they have conceived.

• Like 4

Also, they said that, to them, the GM means 70+ in a members skill, and 70-75 in a free skill. Now I don't care about requirements too much, but it's funny that with several thousand maxed players, and people focused on maximizing experience more than ever, that this is the highest standard they have conceived.

But you've also been vocal about gratuitous grinding recently. :twss:

Also, they said that, to them, the GM means 70+ in a members skill, and 70-75 in a free skill. Now I don't care about requirements too much, but it's funny that with several thousand maxed players, and people focused on maximizing experience more than ever, that this is the highest standard they have conceived.

But you've also been vocal about gratuitous grinding recently. :twss:

I don't think something in the 80's would be gratuitous. And I don't actually personally care about the requirements.I am high enough that no quest will ever, unless it is some new skill, be 'challenging' to me, level wise. The last quest for which I had to really gain a few levels, I think, was WGS that quest having to do with parrots and pirates. I simply find this discrepancy weird. They have pushed this grinding culture, so that requirement seems outdated. I don't think this is some big deal, and if they were never to change it, it wouldn't bother me, it would just be slightly odd, but that's about it.

I must say its the comment about the quest length that annoyed me most in that podcast. Mod Mark said 'quest length is the thing I disagree with the players the most on' , thats not really listening to the players then is it then as they keep bragging at the moment! As Yoko Karuma said, we dont want it for the sake of it being long, we want it because quests like WGS made you feel more immersed than perhaps anything else on RS ever has. I have never had a problem with Mod Mark before , but the flippant comment about it being just the same to make us kill monkeys for 4 hours makes me unbelievably annoyed at how much he doesnt get it.

• Like 1

Mod Mark is so ridiculously unconnected from the player base it isn't even funny.

• Like 2

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I must say its the comment about the quest length that annoyed me most in that podcast. Mod Mark said 'quest length is the thing I disagree with the players the most on' , thats not really listening to the players then is it then as they keep bragging at the moment! As Yoko Karuma said, we dont want it for the sake of it being long, we want it because quests like WGS made you feel more immersed than perhaps anything else on RS ever has. I have never had a problem with Mod Mark before , but the flippant comment about it being just the same to make us kill monkeys for 4 hours makes me unbelievably annoyed at how much he doesnt get it.

This. We can't immerse into it if it lasts 45 minutes. Especially when we have to wait several years between each GM installment: WGS (2008), ROTM (2011), TWW (2013), ???? (probably next year or 2015 at the earliest -- no date). It has to be something special and long if we're waiting that long for it. It's stunning that 6 months have passed since TWW and we still don't have any details on a GM sequel. There hasn't even been any Master or Medium quests to fill in the details yet (Dragonkin or Sliske or Kharshai)...

This. We can't immerse into it if it lasts 45 minutes. Especially when we have to wait several years between each GM installment: WGS (2008), ROTM (2011), TWW (2013), ???? (probably next year or 2015 at the earliest -- no date). It has to be something special and long if we're waiting that long for it. It's stunning that 6 months have passed since TWW and we still don't have any details on a GM sequel. There hasn't even been any Master or Medium quests to fill in the details yet (Dragonkin or Sliske or Kharshai)...

I agree with you sentiment but your 'wait times' thing I don't follow. The three you listed aren't really a series, TWW stands alone, ROTM climaxes lucien and mahajaratt ritual, WGS is part of lucien arc. And with that said there more GM than just those 3:

WGS 2008

Nomads Requim 2010

Void Stares Back 2010

ROTM 2011

BOE 2012

TWW 2013

1 a year seems to be the average.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I agree with you sentiment but your 'wait times' thing I don't follow. The three you listed aren't really a series, TWW stands alone, ROTM climaxes lucien and mahajaratt ritual, WGS is part of lucien arc.

While it's true that each of the three quests had certain unique arcs, there is still a general and powerful link between all three that can't be separated and that makes me consider them to be part of the same story. Also, each quest is the consequence of major events in the previous quest. ROTM couldn't have happened without the ascension of Lucien in WGS, and TWW couldn't have happened without Lucien being deposed and the staff being separated from him, and the ritual rejuvenating the Mahjarrat, thus allowing them to pursue their trajectories. I have heard other people claim that they are standalone, but I don't buy it. I see them as part of a cohesive and unified plot.

And with that said there more GM than just those 3:

WGS 2008

Nomads Requim 2010

Void Stares Back 2010

ROTM 2011

BOE 2012

TWW 2013

1 a year seems to be the average.

Yes, I realize there are more GM quests than the ones that I have mentioned. However, I was focusing on the WGS/ROTM/TWW storyline, as it's the one that I consider to be the most interesting, important, and well-built one. We certainly gets lot of wait-times for this one, it seems.

Mod Mark is so ridiculously unconnected from the player base it isn't even funny.

I have heard that a Jmod said in a podcast something to the effect of 'we didn't want people who have more knowledge of the game to get higher xp rates', referring to Divination I think. Now I don't have the source, and it's second-hand, but Ellac's pretty reliable :P. Anything that sounds even slightly like that statement is completely inappropriate for a game designer. Getting ahead by knowledge is the basis of all tactical gameplay. RS is supposed to be a tactical game (because with the tick system, it's never going to be quite like M&B, right?).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted