Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

Mod Mark is so ridiculously unconnected from the player base it isn't even funny.

I have heard that a Jmod said in a podcast something to the effect of 'we didn't want people who have more knowledge of the game to get higher xp rates', referring to Divination I think. Now I don't have the source, and it's second-hand, but Ellac's pretty reliable :P. Anything that sounds even slightly like that statement is completely inappropriate for a game designer. Getting ahead by knowledge is the basis of all tactical gameplay. RS is supposed to be a tactical game (because with the tick system, it's never going to be quite like M&B, right?).

At the same time though, you don't want to make it *too* difficult for people to learn and be able to compete.. It is a delicate balance. Jagex unbalances away from skill too much.

A good balance is where mechanics make new players feel like they have a chance, but actually provide advantage to the people who understand them.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

My main take aways from this podcast is there is a design document around for an elf quest that is one of the possible options for quest 200 and they are looking at budgetting minigame reworks plural for the coming year.

Also quite liked the point of they are not opposed to straight up taking content out if it doesn't seem worth reworking. Part of me hopes if they look at minigames as a whole they apply this quite liberally.

I mean looking at minigames we have that are a bit eh:

Barb Assault - I think fundamentally it is a good enjoyable game and it does have some good rewards. It just really needs a good polish to update it and maybe simplify somethings or at least iron the kinks out (mainly thinking around the calling and defender roles tht ppl struggle with) a slight rebalance wouldn't go amiss either. If it was more accessible to lower levels the now lvl 40 gear would be quite acceptable reward and if you maybe make the horn work for more skills and make it a bit faster to refill it'd be a pretty decent high end reward.

Beacon Network - I feel this could be side-moted to a miniquest. I mean the xp isn't all that great and it's a lot of hassle but it serves a purpose, could easily set it up so once you fully completely it that's it; it's done.

Blast Furnace - It does sort of serve a use but it could do with being streamlined a bit to make it more viable. Maybe bring a tie-in with Artisans to make ingots a bit cheaper. An overall smithing rework would probably open up better ideas to work in to it.

Cwars - Not fundamentally bad, just a bit lacking in the rewards front vs time used.

Chompy Hunting - Someway to speed it up a little and better xp for the kills or the hats wouldn't go amiss. Even a use for the hats would be nice, they could be a series of power ranged helms or offer x number of free ammo a day to engage lower levels a bit.

Clanwars - Does this still get used all that much? I know the ffa portals are relatively popular but aside from that I kinda feel it could go byebye, but I'd hesitate to judge since I don't know what its use is like.

Conquest - I think it was Quyneax I saw post a bunch of bol related ideas that overlap with this that sounded awesome. Basically just more choices to build a more tactic based game. Of course a small bolster to rewards wouldn't go amiss but I don't think pc/con are far off what they ought to be.

Crucible - utter fail. Ditch it.

Dom Tower - I think maybe some better rewards would be nice since eoc stuff kinda nerfed the gloves.

Duel Arena - I guess this works, could probably be improved with some sort of player-run tournament mechanic and possibly a series of rewards related to getting wins.

Fight Pit - Just some actual rewards outside tokkul and for more than just first place could help this out. I feel it could perhaps fill a bit of a niche with some t75 weaponry, like obby gear 2.0 which would be inkeeping with the rewards of the other 3. Failing that it could probably go.

Fishing Trawler - bit of a lick of paint and polish and this would be pretty good imo. Probably could do with bigger fish yields for the time taken and could maybe through in some alternate fish choices/items that have secondary usage eg (off the top of my head) Angelfish maybe equal to around shark level and also gives some prayer points. Pufferfish allows you to inflict quite high poison damage for a certain amount of time. Could also have like shellfish that heal higher than rockies and bolster def but at the cost of att str range n mage and all sorts like that. Especially if the game in polish got a bit more indepth tactics that would effect what sorts of fish you got if you chose to utilise em.

FoG - Just give it some decent rewards and its kinda good to go. It's not a bad minigame at all there's just nothing worth playing it for.

Flash Powder - fix that stupid xp curve so it actually goes up for the duration of the game and it'd probably be pretty popular.

Games Room - kinda a waste. Kill it imo.

Implings thing - I feel like puropuro could be removed or significantly altered cause it's just a bit awkward and pointless. Implings around the world are nice, could maybe build on that akin to flash mobs eg puropuro leaks out of crop circles creating a flash mob-esque event with hordes of implings.

Gnomeball - make it semi-decent low end agility xp and a bit more complex and it'd be quite fun. Heck you could maybe go so far as to kill off the low level gnome course (since we have burthorpe) and just let gnome ball be the alternate.

Gnome deliveries - waste, kill it.

GoP - waste kill it, give the rewards to runespan in place of the esteem crud.

Livid Farm - Just do SOMETHING to break up the grindfest. Throw in a load more randomness and different events and pick up the points rate a little. Other than tht the xp and spells are pretty decent.

Mage Training Arena - I'm sure you could do something with it, but I'm not sure what. Don't think it'd be sorely missed though if it was to be killed.

MA - I think the basic idea is good it's just horribly built. I would not object to it remaining but I think it needs a remake as something entirely new from the ground up. Fundamental factors to help it would be: Do away with the refreshing contracts every game, make the points/rewards reward staying til the end, completing the game objectives and killing enemies. Make the resource rewards much better. I think it could draw on conquest style ideas but on a larger scale and could also allow you to unlock new troops and abilities and stuff via visiting npcs and such. Armies of Gielinor on funorb would probably be a good starting model for something that'd work. Different unit types that have fundamentally different abilities and uses etc.

Kinda ran outta steam but I also think Rogue Trader, Trouble Brewing and Vinesweeper should die. Brimhaven Agility, Shades of Mort, Sorceress garden, swars, stealing creation, tai bwo wanni clean up and temple trekking could be svaved with the right changes.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Obvious hint for completionists are to complete floors 1-60 on hard mode and get the new title.

GO!

... Doesn't sound that hard really.

Floors with max combat mobs, tons of barrel, ghost, flower rooms.... ugh. Get ready boys and girls.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Obvious hint for completionists are to complete floors 1-60 on hard mode and get the new title.

GO!

... Doesn't sound that hard really.

Floors with max combat mobs, tons of barrel, ghost, flower rooms.... ugh. Get ready boys and girls.

Well, as long as Jagex doesn't stipulate that you can't die on the hard modes, one can always simply suicide.

I think there won't be more barrels than other floors, just that every shade will be angry and so on. Now the real question is, will every slayer monster be a gazer :-k.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

After scavenging through various more stuff and podcasts, I have finally found out the question that I had desperately been seeking an answer to. The TWW sequel is Missing/Presumed Death. That will deal with Sliske/Dragonkin/Staff of Armadyl, as well as Ichthlarin, and what not. No word about the other Mahjarrat or Azzanadra, but still. I am hoping this is a Master quest (the narrative can't be told in a lesser difficult setting, in my view), if it is, all should be well. It will be coming out some time in October or November. This is the update that I am anticipating the most, bar none. Absolutely excited for it.

My main take aways from this podcast is there is a design document around for an elf quest that is one of the possible options for quest 200 and they are looking at budgetting minigame reworks plural for the coming year.

Wait what?

hKZ9Jd1.png

I hope quest #200 is RFD-like, rewarding you with access to hybrid boots from Lv. 1-70.

It's too late for that, surely? Battle of Lumbridge provides T70/75 hybrid boots, and there are already plenty of boots out there. A lot of us higher levels would complain that such a monumental quest was giving outdated rewards. It's like how they keep releasing dragon items in high level quests/boss monsters even though that stuff is useless for high levels in EoC. I don't see what repeating that pattern will do.

I do however agree with another RFD-like quest so that everyone can take part in it and have some enjoyment, rather than it being an entirely elite quest.

Each rfd sub-quest (and something else?) counts as a quest on the alog, ingame's 189 is correct :p

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Wait what?

Wait what?

hRZtyS0.png

Adventurers log count includes various now removed quests and holiday events that aren't really quests at all.

In-game total is the correct count in terms of when quest 200 will be.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I hope quest #200 is RFD-like, rewarding you with access to hybrid boots from Lv. 1-70.

It's too late for that, surely? Battle of Lumbridge provides T70/75 hybrid boots, and there are already plenty of boots out there. A lot of us higher levels would complain that such a monumental quest was giving outdated rewards. It's like how they keep releasing dragon items in high level quests/boss monsters even though that stuff is useless for high levels in EoC. I don't see what repeating that pattern will do.

I do however agree with another RFD-like quest so that everyone can take part in it and have some enjoyment, rather than it being an entirely elite quest.

We already have lv 75 hybrid boots; Battle of Lumbridge ones

I know that, but they don't match with the RFD ones.

After scavenging through various more stuff and podcasts, I have finally found out the question that I had desperately been seeking an answer to. The TWW sequel is Missing/Presumed Death. That will deal with Sliske/Dragonkin/Staff of Armadyl, as well as Ichthlarin, and what not. No word about the other Mahjarrat or Azzanadra, but still. I am hoping this is a Master quest (the narrative can't be told in a lesser difficult setting, in my view), if it is, all should be well. It will be coming out some time in October or November. This is the update that I am anticipating the most, bar none. Absolutely excited for it.

I'm pretty sure the Mahjarratt questline ended with ROTM. I mean they could add mahjarrat to other quests, or start a new questline with them in the 6th age but I don't think they intended any others for that quest line because the whole point was for it to culminate in the ritual.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I actually love this minigame. It could use a rework for making the food production easier, and also for balancing the rewards, but removing it is completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

I'm pretty sure the Mahjarratt questline ended with ROTM. I mean they could add mahjarrat to other quests, or start a new questline with them in the 6th age but I don't think they intended any others for that quest line because the whole point was for it to culminate in the ritual.

The collective majahratt story line did end with the ritual, but the individual stories are separate in their own right and only passed through the ritual they did not end with it (other than Lucien and Jhallan with the dying and all)

Most of the mahajratt have unresolved story lines (Zemergoul, Azzandra, Enkhara and Anthankos, Hazeel etc.) and some are just getting started (Sliske, Kharshi, Wahiestiel)

I actually love this minigame. It could use a rework for making the food production easier, and also for balancing the rewards, but removing it is completely unnecessary.

It's not necessarily a bad game I just don't really see a use for it in the game as a whole and the way the game has evolved it needs a use or it is pointless. I mean the gnome foods can still be made and enjoyed without it and none of the rewards are really useful. So all it has left for it that is good is a very basic take x to y mechanic that is pretty generic and does not need that content to exist to be reused.

I like the idea of a delivery based minigame, I just don't think it fits well with the gnomes and the game has so little else going for it I'd rather see it scraped to allow the mechanic to be reused in something bigger and better.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

The 'official' questline has ended. But I find the official tags and arc titles/groupings to be silly. In any case, it is quite clear that the Mahjarrat are far from done in Runescape. They are still major actors with their presence in various areas pursuing various schemes and interests. Their story is still continuous. The conflict between the Zarosian faction and Zamorakian faction is still quite unfinished. Sliske has only started his schemes. Azzanadra & Co. are still awaiting for Zaros. I don't see how it is done in any sense of the word.

The 'official' questline has ended. But I find the official tags and arc titles/groupings to be silly. In any case, it is quite clear that the Mahjarrat are far from done in Runescape. They are still major actors with their presence in various areas pursuing various schemes and interests. Their story is still continuous. The conflict between the Zarosian faction and Zamorakian faction is still quite unfinished. Sliske has only started his schemes. Azzanadra & Co. are still awaiting for Zaros. I don't see how it is done in any sense of the word.

Ok, fair enough, I was thinking you meant a direct sequel and not just more from the characters. There are just so many questlines and characters that I'm looking forward to that I'm not narrowing it down to any specifics. The ones they do have coming sound great. Pretty sure the short one they mentioned is the Armadyl one involving citadels. The world gate one sounds awesome. Missing Presumed death has great potential. I am still hoping they give us the Dungeoneering finale involving bilrach's death and zamorak's return.

I think for all its flaws, the story direction the game is heading has a lot of potential. I am worried though that having too much player choice may water it down some, but we'll see.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Ok, fair enough, I was thinking you meant a direct sequel and not just more from the characters. There are just so many questlines and characters that I'm looking forward to that I'm not narrowing it down to any specifics. The ones they do have coming sound great. Pretty sure the short one they mentioned is the Armadyl one involving citadels. The world gate one sounds awesome. Missing Presumed death has great potential. I am still hoping they give us the Dungeoneering finale involving bilrach's death and zamorak's return.

I think for all its flaws, the story direction the game is heading has a lot of potential. I am worried though that having too much player choice may water it down some, but we'll see.

Well, on this topic, I ocne again disagree with Jagex's labels. I would regard anything to do with Sliske to be a sequel/prequel to TWW, as it would explain the events of TWW or continue from them. The events happening are directly a consequence of the things that happened in TWW so I regard it as a sequel.

As for interesting storylines, the Zarosian Mahjarrat, Sliske, Dragonkin, are the ones that I am interested in by far. No other storyline (and I am a quester at heart) comes even remotely close as far as my interest is concerned. Even the rumored 200th Elf quest dealing with Seren which has a lot of people excited does little for me when compared with the Mahjarrat. The Mahjarrat's development, characterization, lore, history is just superb. I am positively enthralled with them.

As for player-choice, the way they have implemented seems to have been rather limited. It doesn't approach other games, not even close. And perhaps it shouldn't. It's nothing to worry about. Jagex has a tendency to undershoot, things are never as awesome as they sound (kind of like concept art), and sometimes that's a good thing. So you don't have to worry about that. When Jagex says player choice, they mean you make a few decisions, maybe align with one God/faction or another, but eventually the outcome ends up being the same. That's all they mean. And that's probably a good thing. It would take a crazy amount of hours and effort to craft separate storyline paths.

Well, on this topic, I ocne again disagree with Jagex's labels. I would regard anything to do with Sliske to be a sequel/prequel to TWW, as it would explain the events of TWW or continue from them. The events happening are directly a consequence of the things that happened in TWW so I regard it as a sequel.

As for interesting storylines, the Zarosian Mahjarrat, Sliske, Dragonkin, are the ones that I am interested in by far. No other storyline (and I am a quester at heart) comes even remotely close as far as my interest is concerned. Even the rumored 200th Elf quest dealing with Seren which has a lot of people excited does little for me when compared with the Mahjarrat. The Mahjarrat's development, characterization, lore, history is just superb. I am positively enthralled with them.

As for player-choice, the way they have implemented seems to have been rather limited. It doesn't approach other games, not even close. And perhaps it shouldn't. It's nothing to worry about. Jagex has a tendency to undershoot, things are never as awesome as they sound (kind of like concept art), and sometimes that's a good thing. So you don't have to worry about that. When Jagex says player choice, they mean you make a few decisions, maybe align with one God/faction or another, but eventually the outcome ends up being the same. That's all they mean. And that's probably a good thing. It would take a crazy amount of hours and effort to craft separate storyline paths.

Interesting take on it. The way I view it however, TWW was a culmination of most of the quest lines from the 5th age. A lot of stuff lead up to it getting to that point. In the same manner anything involving the major gods on runescape is basically a sequel, it shows the results and the aftermath of it. A quest about a God's return, or what they're doing now is directly related to Guthix's death because without it then that couldn't have happened. I look at basically the entire 6th age as a sequel to TWW (except some of the minor stuff like bringing home the bacon).

Interesting take on it. The way I view it however, TWW was a culmination of most of the quest lines from the 5th age. A lot of stuff lead up to it getting to that point. In the same manner anything involving the major gods on runescape is basically a sequel, it shows the results and the aftermath of it. A quest about a God's return, or what they're doing now is directly related to Guthix's death because without it then that couldn't have happened. I look at basically the entire 6th age as a sequel to TWW (except some of the minor stuff like bringing home the bacon).

That is, until the Pork Goddess Porconella arrives and lays siege to Falador for Eli's murder of her people.

And then pigs become sentient and take over the world, and the player character is forced to walk on all fours and respawn in the barn

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum