Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

After scavenging through various more stuff and podcasts, I have finally found out the question that I had desperately been seeking an answer to. The TWW sequel is Missing/Presumed Death. That will deal with Sliske/Dragonkin/Staff of Armadyl, as well as Ichthlarin, and what not. No word about the other Mahjarrat or Azzanadra, but still. I am hoping this is a Master quest (the narrative can't be told in a lesser difficult setting, in my view), if it is, all should be well. It will be coming out some time in October or November. This is the update that I am anticipating the most, bar none. Absolutely excited for it.

I'm pretty sure the Mahjarratt questline ended with ROTM. I mean they could add mahjarrat to other quests, or start a new questline with them in the 6th age but I don't think they intended any others for that quest line because the whole point was for it to culminate in the ritual.

The 'official' questline has ended. But I find the official tags and arc titles/groupings to be silly. In any case, it is quite clear that the Mahjarrat are far from done in Runescape. They are still major actors with their presence in various areas pursuing various schemes and interests. Their story is still continuous. The conflict between the Zarosian faction and Zamorakian faction is still quite unfinished. Sliske has only started his schemes. Azzanadra & Co. are still awaiting for Zaros. I don't see how it is done in any sense of the word.

Ok, fair enough, I was thinking you meant a direct sequel and not just more from the characters. There are just so many questlines and characters that I'm looking forward to that I'm not narrowing it down to any specifics. The ones they do have coming sound great. Pretty sure the short one they mentioned is the Armadyl one involving citadels. The world gate one sounds awesome. Missing Presumed death has great potential. I am still hoping they give us the Dungeoneering finale involving bilrach's death and zamorak's return.

I think for all its flaws, the story direction the game is heading has a lot of potential. I am worried though that having too much player choice may water it down some, but we'll see.

Well, on this topic, I ocne again disagree with Jagex's labels. I would regard anything to do with Sliske to be a sequel/prequel to TWW, as it would explain the events of TWW or continue from them. The events happening are directly a consequence of the things that happened in TWW so I regard it as a sequel.

As for interesting storylines, the Zarosian Mahjarrat, Sliske, Dragonkin, are the ones that I am interested in by far. No other storyline (and I am a quester at heart) comes even remotely close as far as my interest is concerned. Even the rumored 200th Elf quest dealing with Seren which has a lot of people excited does little for me when compared with the Mahjarrat. The Mahjarrat's development, characterization, lore, history is just superb. I am positively enthralled with them.

As for player-choice, the way they have implemented seems to have been rather limited. It doesn't approach other games, not even close. And perhaps it shouldn't. It's nothing to worry about. Jagex has a tendency to undershoot, things are never as awesome as they sound (kind of like concept art), and sometimes that's a good thing. So you don't have to worry about that. When Jagex says player choice, they mean you make a few decisions, maybe align with one God/faction or another, but eventually the outcome ends up being the same. That's all they mean. And that's probably a good thing. It would take a crazy amount of hours and effort to craft separate storyline paths.

Interesting take on it. The way I view it however, TWW was a culmination of most of the quest lines from the 5th age. A lot of stuff lead up to it getting to that point. In the same manner anything involving the major gods on runescape is basically a sequel, it shows the results and the aftermath of it. A quest about a God's return, or what they're doing now is directly related to Guthix's death because without it then that couldn't have happened. I look at basically the entire 6th age as a sequel to TWW (except some of the minor stuff like bringing home the bacon).

That is, until the Pork Goddess Porconella arrives and lays siege to Falador for Eli's murder of her people.

And then pigs become sentient and take over the world, and the player character is forced to walk on all fours and respawn in the barn

Pocinella god emissary is Napoleon.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Shame about the no update week gap though... At least GTA V is out next tuesday. So in reality. Who gives a damn.

The expectation of an update every week is a little unfounded, and there is no reason for Jagex to even do so. They are highly unique in that regard and one might attribute some of the issues we've had with updates due to them being forced to cram it out all the time instead of proper testing.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Shame about the no update week gap though... At least GTA V is out next tuesday. So in reality. Who gives a damn.

The expectation of an update every week is a little unfounded, and there is no reason for Jagex to even do so. They are highly unique in that regard and one might attribute some of the issues we've had with updates due to them being forced to cram it out all the time instead of proper testing.

The expectation of an update 'every week' is totally unfounded...other than the precedent of nearly every month for the past 5+ years having 1 off week and the rest updates and the fact that jmods in various QAs and such have mentioned their official scheduling target to be 1 off week a month.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Gnome deliveries - waste, kill it.

I actually love this minigame. It could use a rework for making the food production easier, and also for balancing the rewards, but removing it is completely unnecessary.

It's not necessarily a bad game I just don't really see a use for it in the game as a whole and the way the game has evolved it needs a use or it is pointless. I mean the gnome foods can still be made and enjoyed without it and none of the rewards are really useful. So all it has left for it that is good is a very basic take x to y mechanic that is pretty generic and does not need that content to exist to be reused.

I like the idea of a delivery based minigame, I just don't think it fits well with the gnomes and the game has so little else going for it I'd rather see it scraped to allow the mechanic to be reused in something bigger and better.

Careful though, what you wish for. Scrapping this mini-game could thereafter turn items like gnome scarves and gnome goggles into "discontinued items ..." :huh:

nyuseg.png

Or they'll just make them buyable from the Varrock clothing shop like they did with the random event outfits.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

there's probably few enough gnome scarves/goggles coming into the game that it wouldn't matter all that much. We've seen how little demand there is for the SOF discontinueds, and scarves/goggles have been in game for years and years, not just a few weeks.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

The expectation of an update 'every week' is totally unfounded...other than the precedent of nearly every month for the past 5+ years having 1 off week and the rest updates and the fact that jmods in various QAs and such have mentioned their official scheduling target to be 1 off week a month.

More in relation to the video game industry as a whole then Jagex as a particular. Once a week updates are nice, but if they spent less time trying to develop small things so they can fill those gaps maybe they could produce higher quality content?

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

More in relation to the video game industry as a whole then Jagex as a particular. Once a week updates are nice, but if they spent less time trying to develop small things so they can fill those gaps maybe they could produce higher quality content?

Honestly, I remember reading a question where someone asked a J-Mod if they would consider doing just monthly updates instead of weekly updates, and I think they replied with a "We don't know if the community would really like that." response.

Yes Jagex is unique in the sense that they release an update every week/every other week, but I'd prefer it if they could test the content that they release a bit more.

It would be interesting if they released a poll on the website asking our opinion on the idea.

Anyways, I'm still trying to finish Divination up but other then that I'm stoked for some more updates!

Chelsea FC #1

Join My Clan:

[qfc]290-291-830-65346534[/qfc]

Youtube Channel

Honestly, I remember reading a question where someone asked a J-Mod if they would consider doing just monthly updates instead of weekly updates, and I think they replied with a "We don't know if the community would really like that." response.

Not without precedent, either. They tried that kind of system last year with EoC. It... wasn't well received.

Damned if you do...

Not without precedent, either. They tried that kind of system last year with EoC. It... wasn't well received.

Damned if you do...

They rarely take off-weeks to do anything useful, like fixing glitches, or doing minor reworks on old stuff, or asking for feedback to fix things like EoC, so I am a bit opposed to them too.

They've tried doing fewer and/or smaller updates in the past i.e., 2, (One "large" and one "normal"), but it didn't go over very well. I don't remember how long it lasted, but it wasn't very long. It started in October 2008, but I can't tell you how long it lasted because BTS disappears for a year and a half shortly afterward. There was no mention of only two updates a month when BTS returned in June 2010.

Flyingjj.png

That's making the assumption that reducing the updates/month would improve quality. I look at games like Neverwinter and SWTOR whose updates are much less frequent and usually only have bug fixes for weeks/months. The updates come out and still there are tons of bugs/game breaking glitches. The problem isn't the number of updates IMO as much as it is the inability to test how your update interacts with everything else in the game. The game is simply too big to test everything. I think they just try to find the huge bugs before release then rely on the community to do the majority of their testing.

maraxussig4.png

That's making the assumption that reducing the updates/month would improve quality. I look at games like Neverwinter and SWTOR whose updates are much less frequent and usually only have bug fixes for weeks/months. The updates come out and still there are tons of bugs/game breaking glitches. The problem isn't the number of updates IMO as much as it is the inability to test how your update interacts with everything else in the game. The game is simply too big to test everything. I think they just try to find the huge bugs before release then rely on the community to do the majority of their testing.

You are most definitely right. I have no shadow of a doubt jagex relies on the community to find bugs and cross content slips. For a game updating so frequently it should have been common knowledge. Matter of fact it might even be slightly to blame for why the community is the way it is. Jagex should have taken the opportunity to get the community involved in constant beta testing of content.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Part of the issue is that those "breaks" don't seem to translate to better (less buggy, more awesome, more interactive, more valued) content. All it seems to do is just result in less updates of the same quality.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Mod Benjy is working on something special. :s Seems like a lot of textures from various places are brought together. Can't really piece it together...

XAwGKG7.jpg

9zqUWnh.jpg

Seems like the ganodermic/fungal creatures of the Polypore cave are becoming a threat. :p Especially if you are known with the concept of hubris. :p

Meanwhile, mod Chris L is working on the Barrows Deluxe. He also is reusing some stuff (notice the Ascension floor).

sHCAtcD.png

Yeah, that are the BODIES of the Barrows brothers, held in the air by some electrical magic stuff.

Supposedly, it's team-content for high levels, comparable to Vorago.

4tyml.png

This update

Friends list is all I care about really, been full for ages now. :lol:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Deluxe barrows would be a good way to bring in some more T90 stuff imo.

I mean Dharok, Guthan and Verac's weapons upgraded make logical 2h t90 melee variants.

Karil could be used to bring in a t90 bow or thrown weapon or even just a 2h cbow.

Ahrim could bring a T90 staff

Torag admittedly is a bit of left over in this concept, but he could feasible have a thrown weapon perhaps or Torags could become the melee equivalent of Tectonic.

I mean if it's supposed to be comparable to vorago t90 seems like a must.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue