Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

I get the feeling they'll ask us HLF people for some ideas, then have them down and go and ask everybody via the polling system

Anybody have ideas here? I'm grand to post them up in HLF :P

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Please don't downplay such an awesome start for the elven quest. They are truely showing an interest in the quest as well as the expected player base who the city will be designed to use. Even though we expected some layout made it might have already be set as a concept. Their next step may be to play with what space the ckncept has for them.

The only thing they would have ever gotten down on paper is lore, side stories, art concepts and the key points of interest. The only think they know for sure they want in the city is the tower of voices at the center and a GE somewhere.

I'm trying to think as a concept designer trying to cater to a certain audience. I feel they are doing exactly the right thing in querrying the HLF. Granted the majority of them who are active are trolls or experience hounds. There are plenty of genuine players who offer interesting content suggestions and feedback.

With that said my answer to the above question would be:

- Farming runs to allotments, trees, and fruit trees.

- QBD runs from the GE via varrock teleport tab and the port sarim lodestone.

- PVM runs to the GWD via trollhiem tablet.

- POP daily voyages; checking voyages, black marketeer, the trader, and captains.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I like how they've made that thread in the HLF forum only because it's not like in this instance it is extremely biased to get only maxed players input on content that is supposed to be a mid-high level hub and will be reachable with like 2 or 3 lvl 70s and an odd sprinkling of other stats (unless gm quest serious ramps up reqs)

My understanding was that it would be a high-level hub. With skills being so easy and fast to train, it seems silly for them to stick to their traditional definition of high-level (70+). If this is going to be a real high-level hub, HLF isn't exactly bad place to start.

Given the quest reqs and the fact they keep saying mid-high level hub I'd solidly expect it to be 70+ design wise and even if they do put their definition of 'high-level' higher its still rather biased since what already maxed players want from a hub isn't necessarily going to coincide with what un-maxed players want from a hub.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I like how they've made that thread in the HLF forum only because it's not like in this instance it is extremely biased to get only maxed players input on content that is supposed to be a mid-high level hub and will be reachable with like 2 or 3 lvl 70s and an odd sprinkling of other stats (unless gm quest serious ramps up reqs)

My understanding was that it would be a high-level hub. With skills being so easy and fast to train, it seems silly for them to stick to their traditional definition of high-level (70+). If this is going to be a real high-level hub, HLF isn't exactly bad place to start.

Given the quest reqs and the fact they keep saying mid-high level hub I'd solidly expect it to be 70+ design wise and even if they do put their definition of 'high-level' higher its still rather biased since what already maxed players want from a hub isn't necessarily going to coincide with what un-maxed players want from a hub.

Well frankly its not going to ever be perfect with that outlook. No matter what they do they are going to be leaving out/shortchanging one particular player base. Oh forbid they put in an elder tree teleport without equal respect for crafting by not putting in a high level training variant for crystal singing. Do you get my point?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

You seem to be making much more of an issue out of my sentiment than intended.

My sentiment is simply:

HLF exclusive thread for garnering an idea of what people do daily in-game doesn't seem like the best placement of the thread as already maxed players are liable to have different desires than un-maxed which could bias the responses away from content that would make it a flourish high-level hub for all player types.

I never said it was bad they are seeking input or that every last aspect of the city has to be equal for every last skill, heck I didn't even say anything about the city itself at all.. Simply that I feel the thread is misplaced and may result in a lack of input for things an un-maxed players would highly desire in a hub.

You have a valid point, but alas it is entirely unrelated to what I was commenting on.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Please don't downplay such an awesome start for the elven quest. 

There's nothing to downplay because they haven't started anything.

They've been on the "what do you want in the city" stage since runefest and with how they've repeatedly asked the same questions over and over, it's pretty much like they haven't listened aside from "okay now it will require a grandmaster quest" - a decision that most certainly didn't need 3 months of players shouting "THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO NOT REQUIRE MOURNING'S END 3" to make.

Does that mean they're going to botch it? No not at all. But how can you even say there's been an "awesome start" when nothing has started at all except the ONE THING that shouldn't have required a deliberation and change to begin with (quest req)?

I eagerly await Elf City but c'mon.

hzvjpwS.gif

Good feeling's gone. Was sort of hopeful when they started saying "mid-high level" instead of "high level", but now we're right back on the pandering train. [bleep]ing Jagex :wall:

As if the HLF thread is that biased... in case you're wondering, most of the answers consist of a list of dailies/weeklies (pengs, circus, warbands, ports, god statues, farming, challenges, sinkholes, everything!), slayer, bossing, dungeoneering, lots of bonfires/crystal trees and GE/bankstanding. Would those answers be totally different for non-HLF people?

Certainly some skilling methods are not represented, but how many people do a specific method weekly? Most people just level something useful, and useful levels aren't a weekly thing.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Maybe they will, maybe they won't (Though the obsession with dailies/weeklies seems to be a maxed player thing more than anything else; I get the feeling that non-maxed/non-maxing players would prefer sustained training simply because of the nature of their goals). We don't really know because they never ask. That's the main thing here.

Why would they ask about a high-level update in the low-level forums

Because being high level in general =/= being a maxed player

There's far more high levels in game than there are maxed players in the HLF.

Not to mention they have said it'll be a mid-high level hub like a million times so they need to know what mid players want too and given their previous definitions of 'high level' and the existing lvl reqs we are talking 70s+ as the target market.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

They've had a lot of threads where people have suggested what they want in the city. Maybe not Jagex started ones but they can certainly still use those to get suggestions. However, asking this to Maxed players might be a way to try to ensure longevity to the city, to make ways that players won't level out of its usefulness.

• Like 3

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Please don't downplay such an awesome start for the elven quest. They are truely showing an interest in the quest as well as the expected player base who the city will be designed to use. Even though we expected some layout made it might have already be set as a concept. Their next step may be to play with what space the ckncept has for them.

The only thing they would have ever gotten down on paper is lore, side stories, art concepts and the key points of interest. The only think they know for sure they want in the city is the tower of voices at the center and a GE somewhere.

I'm trying to think as a concept designer trying to cater to a certain audience. I feel they are doing exactly the right thing in querrying the HLF. Granted the majority of them who are active are trolls or experience hounds. There are plenty of genuine players who offer interesting content suggestions and feedback.

With that said my answer to the above question would be:

- Farming runs to allotments, trees, and fruit trees.

- QBD runs from the GE via varrock teleport tab and the port sarim lodestone.

- PVM runs to the GWD via trollhiem tablet.

- POP daily voyages; checking voyages, black marketeer, the trader, and captains.

I like this

As if the HLF thread is that biased... in case you're wondering, most of the answers consist of a list of dailies/weeklies (pengs, circus, warbands, ports, god statues, farming, challenges, sinkholes, everything!), slayer, bossing, dungeoneering, lots of bonfires/crystal trees and GE/bankstanding. Would those answers be totally different for non-HLF people?

Certainly some skilling methods are not represented, but how many people do a specific method weekly? Most people just level something useful, and useful levels aren't a weekly thing.

Good point

Just going to make my own list while reusing some stuff that has been said/things I can think of

Things I do once a week;

• Circus (when I remember and if I see it, otherwise I generally don't go to it. Sounds quirky I can't explain it that well)
  • Penguins, usually always
  • Tears of Guthix
  • Cap @ citadel for the clan when I remember

That's about all the stuff I can think of that always happens weekly. So being able to EASILY ACCESS THE CITY AFTER THE QUEST would be nice. I don't wanna run through a big forest with traps just to do penguins or do a farming run.

Things I do more often;

• GE standing while skilling
  • Warbands when I have a group to go with
  • Farming runs
  • Skilling. Lately has included fishing, cooking, prayer (POH), runecrafting and summoning.
  • Dungeoneering for dailies.
  • AFK. I afk a lot to ensure I don't burn out otherwise I would :P

So,

• a GE hub
  • a portal to go DG; just a portal that goes straight to the castle, nothing special. I think the Elf City is too far away for them to have say a passage that was uncovered (a castle ruin) that leads to the castle that you walk into, screen blacks out, and you appear @ the DG castle.
  • Farming patches of all types. Being able to grow a spirit tree in the city would be GREAT for transportation if they did put farming related things in there. Preferably put the patch near the bank to increase productivity. 
  • Skilling areas. Kind of like Draynor, but have a multitude of trees (different levels etc) near an area with a multitude of fishing spots.

Yeah it's pretty basic and obvious but that's what I can think of while I dread my 3 hour uni chem lab that's coming soon

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png

BevZQYyCQAAGQiF.png

Mod Pi's twitter, not sure if it'll actually be an ability, or if he's just messing around and has made snazzy stuff happen...

(http://twitter.com/JagexPi/status/426673465265897472/photo/1 for direct link)

edit:

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/combat-improvements-beta

@@@@

Combat Improvements Beta

Last year we made gradual improvements to Evolution of Combat, but now we’re going to really step it up. We’ve been listening to your suggestions and feedback, and - based on these - we have a number of big changes lined up that we think will really improve the combat system, making it more varied and satisfying, and also easier to use.

It's vital to us that you're driving the development of these changes every step of the way. That's why - from today - every RuneScape player can test out the new combat features on our beta servers and offer feedback on the forums.

Read on for more details of the changes, and how you can get involved with testing them!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the top changes we’ve got coming up:

Special attacks – That’s right, they’re coming back! We’re going to be reinstating special attacks that existed before EoC, and may add new ones too. This should add more diversity within level tiers, and more tactical choice when gearing up. The special attacks will exist as abilities - charged by adrenaline - but will function almost identically to how they did in the old combat system.

Revolution – This player-proposed feature is a brilliant middle-ground between low intensity Momentum gameplay and high-intensity manual ability use. It allows you to automate basic abilities while still building up adrenaline and being able to perform thresholds and ultimates. Perfect for Slayer when you want the benefit of abilities, without the need to make your fingers continually dance across your keyboard! Thanks to Mist Singer for her ‘Conservation’ idea which inspired this.

Momentum plus – We’re going to upgrade momentum so it allows for low intensity gameplay without locking you out of other combat features. This means when using upgraded system you’ll accumulate adrenaline and can activate ultimate abilities and special attacks, without breaking Momentum.

Ability queuing – This will allow you to select your next ability even if it’s still on cooldown, removing the need to hammer the ability button to make it fire immediately. This small ‘buffer’ is a subtle change which will make performing combat abilities smoother and more lag-tolerant.

Action bar setups – The game will offer you a quick and simple way to fill your action bar with a set of recommended abilities for general combat use, for each combat style. This will allow players to start out with Evolution of Combat and begin using abilities with minimal fuss.

Quick loadout switching – Changing your equipment can be a hassle, so we’re going to build features that allow you to create preset loadouts and switch them on the fly, both from your bank and between inventory and worn equipment.

PvP refinements – We want to revive PvP in RuneScape, and will be starting with a collection of essential combat tweaks and rebalances. This will include changes to stun durations, incoming damage, PvP minigames and removing the global cooldown on weapon switching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are some of the larger features we're working on, but there are plenty of smaller improvements coming up too. With these changes, we hope Evolution of Combat will be more appealing to all types of players, adding more depth for experts, while making it more accessible to those just starting out. But that’ll be for you to decide.

Your feedback is incredibly important to us, so we’ve put an early work-in-progress version of some of these new features on the beta servers. The first beta has a bunch of special attacks, plus early versions of revolution, momentum plus and ability queuing for you to try out.

We intend to keep updating the beta build every couple of weeks with newer versions, and will also add in-game polls on the beta servers so you can tell us what you think as you play.

The beta servers are open for anyone to access - free players and members alike. Please jump on now, and make sure to come to the combat beta forum to let us know what you think.

Mod Pips

Executive Producer, RuneScape

Can be played at http://www.runescape.com/game?beta=1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

The import save bit isn't working for me... Maybe i'm doing it wrong.

It's broken for me as well, and more people report it on the forums as well.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

And suddenly AGS, D Claws and SGS skyrocket.

Which makes me wonder, since Chaotic claws are made from D Claws, will; they feature the ability also?

I'm hoping they'll get a special but that it will be unique from the D claws one.

Helical.png

They might not even get one because they are already upgraded from another item and carry a crit bonus as a t80 item. I mean it would certainly open the door for people pking with chaotics. The loss from both obtaining the dragon claws and then chaotic spikes would be quite astounding.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Which makes me wonder, since Chaotic claws are made from D Claws, will; they feature the ability also?

I'm hoping they'll get a special but that it will be unique from the D claws one.

You know, it'd be nice if they improved the special on the Abyssal Whip. Frankly, I'd like to see them bring back the original special attack for the Abyssal Whip, where it used to hit for 100% damage -- or hit for nothing at all. That was consider too OP in the day, but as a lower caste weapon it'd restore some of the the utility of the whip and make Abby Demons worth doing again.

The improved Whip special was useful in that it gave you a multiple attack feature, plus poison, which I'd like to see returned to the game as well. 

As middling weapons, it'd make these items useful to those people who cannot wield or obtain chaotics or drygores.

• Like 1

nyuseg.png

You know, it'd be nice if they improved the special on the Abyssal Whip. Frankly, I'd like to see them bring back the original special attack for the Abyssal Whip, where it used to hit for 100% damage -- or hit for nothing at all. That was consider too OP in the day, but as a lower caste weapon it'd restore some of the the utility of the whip and make Abby Demons worth doing again.

The improved Whip special was useful in that it gave you a multiple attack feature, plus poison, which I'd like to see returned to the game as well. 

As middling weapons, it'd make these items useful to those people who cannot wield or obtain chaotics or drygores.

I agree with everything you've said here, minus the making it worth it to do abby demons again

Whips are like, 5k lol. 

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png