Cowman_133

Future Update Discussions

I think that would be fair. Should also ensure kills don't give xp of any manner (slayer/combat)

Think about it like this:

You only get xp when the boss dies, so you can't just run into the boss room, hit it a few times, die, and get xp. You'd only get xp if you're good enough to kill it.

If you're considering killing the boss for xp, you might as well kill the real version so that you get gp and xp.

The only exception is if a boss is unprofitable to kill.

I understand that but in my eyes "practice mode" should have zero benefits except for situational experience (learning boss mechanics etc)

Im against skill xp not because of potential abuse but because of what "practice" implies. Sure someone could practice with risk by skipping this mode but with that risk comes the potential reward.

• Like 1

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

I think practice mode should give the player all supplies, but the only thing that could be gained from it should be knowledge. So practice mode should allow your character to use armours and weapons they don't currently own, so a player who is struggling could see if it would be worth it to get better gear or if they just haven't learned well enough yet to kill it either way. It would also supply all pots/food/portents/etc that a player could use for battle. The downside would be that nothing could be gained from playing this...no comp req, no kill timer (so ya can't just use this mode to get a faster boss kill time for bragging rights), no drops, no exp. They mentioned people were doing this on the beta, well make it like the eoc betas, everything could be obtained for free, but nothing permanent could be gained from it.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I don't know why they don't just keep this separate. I agree with the above in that it would be great for those who don't already have the best gear to test it out, but I can see so much potential for possible bugs and abuse if incorporated into the real servers.

2dgucz6.png

Or they could create a way to replicate your bank for the time you were in the shard instance. This could be hefty on the servers.

They have the ability to create instances now. I dont think it would be much harder for them to create a save point when entering the instance to reference back to when the player leaves.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

there's a certain two fiery bosses that could use practice mode first, since they take so dang long to actually get to

8f14270694.jpg

there's a certain two fiery bosses that could use practice mode first, since they take so dang long to actually get to

I would say rots and araxxi since they both require a lot of quick response to complete.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

For me the logical route to practice bosses is using the instance servers, but making these particular instances more like beta servers or minigames of sorts.

E.g. on these particular servers dying simply respawns you where your grave ought to be - just outside the boss with all your stuff intact. And on these particular servers there could be npcs just outside the boss to provide certain supplies (food and pots and other consumables), just be a case of making their supplies not the normal item.

E.g. if sara brew flask 6 is item 300 say, the sara brew flask 6 given out in the instance, though functionally and visual identical would be item 301 - that way when leaving the instance it can know to take away all of item 301 as an instance only item - just like how runespan and other minigames can take away items when you leave.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think Jad and Har-Aken should definitely be included (it sucks to get to the end only to find that you're terrible at prayer switching, says the man who took a dozen tries to kill pre-EoC Jad). The obvious ones are KK/Vorago/RotS/Araxxi (perhaps the whole thing instead of just the last phase?). Nex and QBD could benefit as well, since they also operate on phases which require a certain amount of learning; reading/watching a guide only helps with that so much (says the man who took five tries to kill QBD).

I'm not sure of any other bosses that would majorly benefit from having a practice mode; including the rest wouldn't be a bad thing, but the above are going to be the main ones that mode will be used for.

I think that consumable supplies should be provided but not equipment, and you shouldn't earn XP from the fight. As Steph said, it's less about the potential for abuse, and more because "practice" shouldn't give any benefit other than that practice. I also don't think a boss practice mode should provide an opportunity to test out higher level equipment that you don't actually own; that's just unnecessary.

Adding it to Dom Tower would be cool.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I think Jad and Har-Aken should definitely be included (it sucks to get to the end only to find that you're terrible at prayer switching, says the man who took a dozen tries to kill pre-EoC Jad). The obvious ones are KK/Vorago/RotS/Araxxi (perhaps the whole thing instead of just the last phase?). Nex and QBD could benefit as well, since they also operate on phases which require a certain amount of learning; reading/watching a guide only helps with that so much (says the man who took five tries to kill QBD).

I'm not sure of any other bosses that would majorly benefit from having a practice mode; including the rest wouldn't be a bad thing, but the above are going to be the main ones that mode will be used for.

I think that consumable supplies should be provided but not equipment, and you shouldn't earn XP from the fight. As Steph said, it's less about the potential for abuse, and more because "practice" shouldn't give any benefit other than that practice. I also don't think a boss practice mode should provide an opportunity to test out higher level equipment that you don't actually own; that's just unnecessary.

I disagree with Jad/Har-Aken.

Both are in safe areas. Har-Aken is actually really easy; it doesn't need practice at all.

I disagree with Jad/Har-Aken.

Both are in safe areas. Har-Aken is actually really easy; it doesn't need practice at all.

They may be in safe areas, but it still takes like 30 minutes to get to them. Then if you fail you gotta go all the way back. With gravestones now, the time penalty for jad might actually be a worse penalty than dying to other bosses.

• Like 2

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I like the time penalty for failing Jad. Keep in mind that Jad is not a for-profit boss. Allowing players to practice him takes away something.

I like the time penalty for failing Jad. Keep in mind that Jad is not a for-profit boss. Allowing players to practice him takes away something.

I agree it takes away something, I just think the thing it takes away is frustration and annoyance. Then again, I'm not a big fan of bossing, so the emotions that come to mind for me are not going to be the ones that come to mind for others.

• Like 1

it's not really a penalty if the time cost is imposed on every run

having it take so long without any real reason for it is the most major flaw of the content, but if you would rather it stay the same without any kind of compromises just because you want it to stay the same but can't say why, i don't need to have this conversation

8f14270694.jpg

Jad is a unique boss. His tells are very obvious and his attack speed is extremely lenient relative to other bosses. The thing that makes him special though is the absolute mind **** he puts you through when fighting him. Jad is one of the only remaining bosses that still has some risk associated with dying, and it's something that your gravestone won't protect. Remove the 'trial by fire' of the fight caves by allowing players to practice beforehand and you remove the fear of failure which is what makes Jad an amazing boss to overcome.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I can see your reasoning, but I didn't feel like Jad was "an amazing boss to overcome." When I beat him for the first time, I mostly was just pissed that I had spent so much time overcoming such a stupid obstacle. If a practice mode could help to spare someone else that same feeling, I'm all for it.

The fear of failure would still be present - even if you can beat him 100 out of 100 times in practice mode, you still have to do it again, for real this time, and with less supplies. There would definitely still be pressure. Practicing would just let you not get killed solely because you didn't know what that animation meant, or you weren't comfortable with prayer switches yet, or you weren't quite sure how the healers worked. In short, it cuts out much of the bullshit that made me feel like crap when I was trying for my first fire cape. I don't think that's a bad thing to get rid of.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Jad is a unique boss. His tells are very obvious and his attack speed is extremely lenient relative to other bosses. The thing that makes him special though is the absolute mind **** he puts you through when fighting him. Jad is one of the only remaining bosses that still has some risk associated with dying, and it's something that your gravestone won't protect. Remove the 'trial by fire' of the fight caves by allowing players to practice beforehand and you remove the fear of failure which is what makes Jad an amazing boss to overcome.

The thing with Jad is that losing to him when you're still learning the mechanics feels more cheap than anything else. You can lose close to an hour of work simply because of one mistake that, if it's your first time fighting him, you might not even know you made, and that's going to happen for as long as it takes for you to learn prayer switching... And then some, because then you have to do it all while managing the healers. It feels great to beat him, yeah, but losing to him feels more like bullshit than something you can learn from: "I have to get better, but the only way I can get better is by wasting another hour in the (relatively effortless) caves".

If it must be balanced around that period, maybe make it so that you can only attempt it once an hour, and only after you've been to the final wave at least once?

either that, or make an actual reason for it to take that long instead of slapping timers or other crap onto it which will make it feel even cheaper than it was before

those previous waves don't even have anything to do with the jad fight at all, they're just shit monsters that used to be threatening but now everything about them is either useless or based on things that don't present any meaningful learning experience, such as being able to attack outside of the camera's range or spawning in random locations, crap that shifts around every time which doesn't teach anything other than "jagex employs shit design to create artificial, unreliable difficulty"

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

those previous waves don't even have anything to do with the jad fight at all, they're just shit monsters that used to be threatening

They weren't threatening in 2006 either.

192ee2a3f5.jpg

... When Chris L said he was going to be looking over ROTS, I don't think hard mode was what we had in mind.
  • Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

If it is bugfixes.. Yes plz

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Requesting hardmode elvarg. *eye roll* I know the players were the ones who wanted harder content but why can't that content be new?

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Requesting hardmode elvarg. *eye roll* I know the players were the ones who wanted harder content but why can't that content be new?

I haven't fought Elvarg post-EoC but I've heard it's kind of a joke and an underwhelming experience now.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.