Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

I still don't get why Jagex takes pics in .jpg format, it's like they really don't know what they're doing!

Because despite what people think they know with their ill-informed views that only have half the facts jpg is a good picture format.

A high-res jpg loses so little quality its not perceptible to the human eye and is nearly always a smaller file size than a png.

All good website devs and digital photographers use jpg (well photographers use RAW too, but that's not really an image format a such)

Yes jpg has some limits, lower quality saves look aweful, can't do transparency etc. but all in all jpg > png when working online.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Because despite what people think they know with their ill-informed views that only have half the facts jpg is a good picture format.

A high-res jpg loses so little quality its not perceptible to the human eye and is nearly always a smaller file size than a png.

All good website devs and digital photographers use jpg (well photographers use RAW too, but that's not really an image format a such)

Yes jpg has some limits, lower quality saves look aweful, can't do transparency etc. but all in all jpg > png when working online.

Thing is, Jagex's screenshots fall in the lower quality spectrum. They shouldn't have size issues with their webserver, there's no reason for using jpg.

crossed_body.png

Thing is, Jagex's screenshots fall in the lower quality spectrum. They shouldn't have size issues with their webserver, there's no reason for using jpg.

Its not about server space its about bandwidth and load time for users.

Not everyone has blisteringly fast broadband.

Besides I don't see any quality issue in them, yes the edges may be jittery but they never take screenshots on max graphics settings and the edges in rs are a bit jittery without anti-alias on.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Its not about server space its about bandwidth and load time for users.

Not everyone has blisteringly fast broadband.

Besides I don't see any quality issue in them, yes the edges may be jittery but they never take screenshots on max graphics settings and the edges in rs are a bit jittery without anti-alias on.

So, you're saying that there are people, in civilized countries, who cannot afford to download a 500Kb TEASER IMAGE? If that's the case, they probably can't play runescape due to lag.

It's kinda ridiculous that somebody would actually argue that teaser pictures should be of diminute quality in order to save a couple hundred Kb, when the loss of quality kinda defeats the purpouse of a teaser picture.

You may not be able to see the artifacting in the picture, but I see it very clearly. Maybe if I take my glasses off, those 200kb worth of data will go unnoticed.

crossed_body.png

You will now stop discussing image formats. There is absolutely no need to. If you feel you can't get a proper image of the new vyrewatch because of the image format, then don't post.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

You will now stop discussing image formats. There is absolutely no need to. If you feel you can't get a proper image of the new vyrewatch because of the image format, then don't post.

In either format those Vyrewatch look badass! :shades:

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Those Vyrewatch don't only look badass, they also look terifying!

So far as the minigame/activities update goes, I hope we can select Talon Beast Charms as a reward (in very small amounts of course). That would be awesome (and probably totally broken).

count_civie.png

Level 99's

[hide]Mining level 99 achieved November 2010

Smithing level 99 achieved February 2011

Fishing level 99 achieved April 2011

Cooking level 99 achieved May 2011[/hide]

Goals

[hide]count_civie.png

count_civie.png[/hide]

Drops:

Miscellanious: 1x Draconic Visage , 5x Focus Sight, 3x Abbysal Whip

Offering Effigy Assistance in Herblore, Crafting. Contact me ingame by pm.

11.jpg

Looking forward to this update. May give me more motivation to go and finish off my lumberjack outfit. :)

294235_10150357156956729_59261801728_9587751_3762778_n.jpg

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

No Game Update Today

Hi all,

Just to confirm, the update is planned for tomorrow. This is due to several reasons such as extra RC time needed and the implemented coldfix last week.

In order to get a better insight in to how we organise game updates, we suggest that you read our Upload Manager's blog which can be found here.

Thanks. blk.gif

[qfc]16-17-131-63107715[/qfc]

What does RC stand for? (except for runecrafting of course wich made me lol, like they are bussy rcing)

Release Candidate.

They code updates in isolation then when they are in a raw form (eg no graphics or dialogue or sounds) they go into the test servers.

The test servers are running runescape updates that we won't see for months - years in various states of completion and are the first wave of play testing and bug testing.

Once content is completed there and reaches launch week it its copied to the RC server; this server contains ONLY the current game + the next update.

Here they do the last minute tweaking and bug testing (as a code from something tht was on test server might of been used by mistake thus breaking content etc)

Then RC server is what then sends out updated game data to all the game servers.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Wow JaGeX is so busy runecrafting that they don't have time to update their game :thumbdown:

Well.... runecrafting is so freaking slow, no wonder they haven't gotten around to "fixing" anything else yet!!

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I'm so excited for the Vyre quest. Its my second favorite series to the WGS series (if they ever make a sequel <_< ).

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

I'm so excited for the Vyre quest. Its my second favorite series to the WGS series (if they ever make a sequel <_< ).

WGS wasn't a series. It was a quest that involved elements of a bunch of other quests.

Personally -- I'd like to see them add something to Trouble Brewing. It was always a "fun" activity but, with so few useful rewards, it's not very popular and seldom played anymore ... :mellow:

Not to mention it's in the middle of nowhere, with a fair few quests required as well.

Personally -- I'd like to see them add something to Trouble Brewing. It was always a "fun" activity but, with so few useful rewards, it's not very popular and seldom played anymore ... :mellow:

Not to mention it's in the middle of nowhere, with a fair few quests required as well.

Yeah, Gamer's Grotto could use a members area that teleports you to the games as well as games having closed off waiting rooms like CW. Then if you leave, you go back to the Grotto.