All discussion here: Jan 2, 2006 - Rule 7 and Rule 9 Updated

JIMMIE

What I'm reading here is a lot of nonsense how it's not easier to get into server 2 or to do certain things. Well, let me tell you:

Please use SS before you talk about what it does. It just retries to connect with the world every 5 seconds until it is open(btw it is faster to refresh by clicking)

I call every five seconds faster than pressing F5. Especially when you really can't press F5; you have to wait on that empty 20 users to appear in server 2 with the arrow refresh trick. If you blink or sneeze and accidentally press that button, it'll be gone for a half hour. Even then it'll take you another half hour to get in.

On top of this, people seem to fail to realise that Jagex has had the "no third party" rule in effect for quite some time. Why is this just now coming to everyone as a shock?

You can debate with me that it was legal and all this stuff, even show me the screenshots of the maker asking Customer Support. I've seen that, and even then didn't believe that it could be legal; after all it was still third party. You can even argue on the premise that all it did (or all that you used it for) was the switch feature. It is still third party. You can even dare to argue that you used it just for the IRC. If you wanted to, you could just download mIRC separately (in fact I've recommended that to a number of people in my IRC channel), and you would be within legality. But if you didn't, it would still be a third party client with a feature that was obviously not intended to be within the original RuneScape client. You can even debate with me that it did not give you an advantage. Oh sure, you may not call having guides, calculators and an IRC client open in the exact same window an advantage...but I sure do.

Right now, what matters is what the rules say right now. Arguing semantics about the past is both pointless and a waste of time. Jagex's policies are subject to change (without notice), so you can either live with it or stop playing quietly.

(By quietly I mean people that say "Jagex is going to lose money over this!"; say that and I'd buy 6 months of membership to make up for your loss.)

You should really know what you talking about before you go off. All browsers - SS (yes, it is a browser), IE, Firefox, etc, etc, are "third party" from Jagex's position. What they have disallowed is browsers that add "Runescape specific features." These "features" are things like having IRC on same page, links to fansites (like Tip.it) on the same page, hiscores on the same page, world switching on the same page, and calculators and guides on the same page. These are all things Jagex could (and should) provide. But since they have decided that our five bucks a month doesn't warrant it, they haven't. So others stepped in and filled the void.

I really don't like having them tell me which browsers I can and can't use on my own computer. And it starts a strange idea that companies can tell me which browser I can or can't use to access there websites or product. It's no different than telling me I have to use IE and not Firefox.

EDIT:

P.S. Are you really suggesting that not having a screwed up interface to the game is an advantage? Is Jagex's screwed up interface part of the game play?

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is complete bs...think about it.

SS never was used to hack people, although other 3rd party programs have been. Jagex could at least give an alternative...say a program that allows irc at the bottom of the screen with tools used to take screenshots.

The only advantage ss gave was putting a bunch tools into a pack and puttin it in one program...therefor it saves you a little bit of time....

the most useful feature was the irc at the bottom of the screen...this way you can chat with your friends while playing runescape :S

w4M8t.png

You should really know what you talking about before you go off. All browsers - SS (yes, it is a browser), IE, Firefox, etc, etc, are "third party" from Jagex's position. What they have disallowed is browsers that add "Runescape specific features." These "features" are things like having IRC on same page, links to fansites (like Tip.it) on the same page, hiscores on the same page, world switching on the same page, and calculators and guides on the same page. These are all things Jagex could (and should) provide. But since they have decided that our five bucks a month doesn't warrant it, they haven't. So others stepped in and filled the void.

I really don't like having them tell me which browsers I can and can't use on my own computer. And it starts a strange idea that companies can tell me which browser I can or can't use to access there websites or product. It's no different than telling me I have to use IE and not Firefox.

But I do know what I'm talking about. How is SwiftSwitch a browser? Even in the FAQ for it, it uses this statement:

Simply put, SwiftSwitch is just like a browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox ect. but with tools and handy links designed specifically for Runescape players.
(1)

Decided to bold the parts of that statement that you may or may not have noticed. It is similar to one, but that doesn't mean it IS one. For instance, an optical mouse is similar to a touchpad in the sense that they are both pointer devices on a computer, but that doesn't make an optical mouse a touchpad, or vice versa.

Furthermore, simply stating that a need that was not provided by Jagex does not give anyone, individual or company besides Jagex themselves, to step in and fill that need. If Jagex wanted you to have an IRC client embedded in their client, then they'd have provided it. They haven't? Guess they must not trust IRC security...

(1) - Referenced to the FAQ of this client

EDIT:

P.S. Are you really suggesting that not having a screwed up interface to the game is an advantage? Is Jagex's screwed up interface part of the game play?

Probably is. Show me this "screwed up interface" and we can debate it at later date. I have not noticed any such thing.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

But I do know what I'm talking about. How is SwiftSwitch a browser? Even in the FAQ for it, it uses this statement:

Simply put, SwiftSwitch is just like a browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox ect. but with tools and handy links designed specifically for Runescape players.
(1)

exactly... it is a browser because it has a browser as a utility therefore reinstating that third party clients can be ie or firefox or maxthon or anything!

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Even on my death bed, I'll bare-hand that bloody shark.

(1)

Decided to bold the parts of that statement that you may or may not have noticed. It is similar to one, but that doesn't mean it IS one. For instance, an optical mouse is similar to a touchpad in the sense that they are both pointer devices on a computer, but that doesn't make an optical mouse a touchpad, or vice versa.

Furthermore, simply stating that a need that was not provided by Jagex does not give anyone, individual or company besides Jagex themselves, to step in and fill that need. If Jagex wanted you to have an IRC client embedded in their client, then they'd have provided it. They haven't? Guess they must not trust IRC security...

(1) - Referenced to the FAQ of this client

A browser is software that is used to access information on the internet. SS is a browser by definition. As a matter of fact, it allows you to access any website, not just Runescape.

Nobody has imbedded an IRC client in Jagex's client. Some have provided an IRC client in there browsers. And you know nothing if you think that having IRC chat running on the same page as Runescape is a security risk for Jagex or any player other than the one who has access to it to type his password in. If that were the case, why would Jagex say they are considering adding it themselves? I just wish they would have done so before they ditched the others.

exactly... it is a browser because it has a browser as a utility therefore reinstating that third party clients can be ie or firefox or maxthon or anything!

You're arguing semantics. You're missing the obvious off of the rants forums:

Q. Is my web browser considered to be third-party software?

A. No, this doesn't affect Internet Explorer, Firefox etc.

EDIT:

If that were the case, why would Jagex say they are considering adding it themselves?

Careful now; that's libel. They never said they were considering IRC...

3) We're also looking at adding an official 'group chat' system into the game ASAP for clans and other groups of players to use.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

what i want to know is why jagex thinks that world switchers are a problem? in the example of ss you do still have to wait the delay to between switching worlds like everyone else does yes but...

How is this an UNFAIR advantage though? your actually if anything waiting in a sense longer while you watch the timer tick down...

also if "getting into worlds faster" is so illegal...then answer me this...

Why still have items and monsters respawn faster in more crowded worlds when in the case of world 2 90% of the people are there selling things only.

IF you as me this in itself is an unfair advandatage that jagex themselves have built right into the game that everyone still over looks to this very day

---

now if you find .98$ more then you will have a dollar :lol:

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

If that were the case, why would Jagex say they are considering adding it themselves?

3) We're also looking at adding an official 'group chat' system into the game ASAP for clans and other groups of players to use.

Believe me, if they add group chat, it will be IRC. They may give it a cleaner front end to make it more user friendly, but the backend will be IRC without a doubt. Why in God's name would they go to the incredible expense of re-inventing the wheel?

EDIT:

Unless you think they're going to try to give clans a five line chat box?

Believe me, if they add group chat, it will be IRC. They may give it a cleaner front end to make it more user friendly, but the backend will be IRC without a doubt. Why in God's name would they go to the incredible expense of re-inventing the wheel?

EDIT:

good point my friend!

bppetrolsigfb6.png

EDIT:

I don't believe you. I won't believe you. IRC is not the one-stop source for mass chat in real-time. Don't you know there's other mass conversation clients out there, such as AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, etc, etc...

Even so, if they "reinvented the wheel" that would be perfectly fine. They have the resources, the manpower and time to do something like that. I'd prefer it if they built a chat client that was (in their mind) safe, instead of using some shaky source from Internet Relay Chat.

I couldn't care less if it is five lines, the chat feature ingame isn't based off of IRC. I'm sure they'd modify that to whatever specifications they'd ever need in a group chat system.

s1L0U.jpg

I couldn't care less if it is five lines, the chat feature ingame isn't based off of IRC. I'm sure they'd modify that to whatever specifications they'd ever need in a group chat system.

You are probably right, now that I think about it. I imagine it will be just as good as their wonderful proprietary forum software. Now that was re-inventing the wheel.

Sheesh,is that all that people think about now?Money and how to get it in world 2?

That is why there are scammers,hackers and all the scum of rs.The overwhelming hunger for pixel money.

This was a bad move by jagex,really bad.

mhd7k3.jpg

They should have smashed the bug before it got this big and they would have had few problems. but they waited to long and now ideots are "Rioting" about how there retarted and cant push buttons and open windows and acctually looks for information like everyone else that dosent download stuff.

I think jagex did this now for the most part as a way to stop people from downloading anything but what they make. That way it will be more secure and greatly reduce the possiblities of someone making a SS clone and adding in there own personal key loging touchs.

Sirhappy2002.png

Sheesh,is that all that people think about now?Money and how to get it in world 2?

That is why there are scammers,hackers and all the scum of rs.The overwhelming hunger for pixel money.

This was a bad move by jagex,really bad.

pixels... thats just it!!! remember that tip it times article about a week ago... it was based on the idea that this is just a game! and people are obseesed and getting upset or over happy over some pixels!

the article can be found here

bppetrolsigfb6.png

The world 27 "riot" is a joke lol most the people there are there to sell stuff lol.

i dont know the market price there was wack

... i saw people buying and sellinh whip for 300k... buying masks for like 4mil... i mean whats the go?

bppetrolsigfb6.png

The world 27 "riot" is a joke lol most the people there are there to sell stuff lol.

i dont know the market price there was wack

... i saw people buying and sellinh whip for 300k... buying masks for like 4mil... i mean whats the go?

people doing stuff.. just trying to get cheap stuff... no big deal

its amazing theirs 11.2k rants on the rants forum for rule 7, its amazing how many people use that dumb client. it may be useful and all.. but really i dislike it.. to cluttered. i HOPE the client jagex makes is good.

i doubt jagex will make a client that good cause to be as good as ss, you will need

*a good chat system (highly unlikely with the censor)

*customizible links (doubt that as jagex will be scared of "mailicious sites that will steal your password)

*links to fansites (again doubtful)

*calculators (possible)

*highscroe lookup (possible)

eggzs.png

I wonder what Strider3282 has to say about this, and if he even knows.

He is on vacation, and he does know.

I have had some time to wrap my head around the situation. Edited out as I have been contacted with detailed sufficient reasoning

I will be on my way home tomorrow, but that means two days driving. Once I am home and on my computer though I'll be able to get alot more sorted out.

Rest assured that everyone involved with the SwiftSwitch project will be working tirelessly to come up with a solution. I am positive we can work something out, it will just take some time

As far as using SwiftSwitch goes at the moment, I would suggest you use it at your own risk. While they are giving players a time frame, I'm not entirely sure what will happen as I've not had a chance to get in contact with anyone from Jagex.

For now, show your support in any way you see fit, let them know this rule change was completely uncalled for. Sign petitions, show your support in game, on forums, anything. Let them know SwiftSwitch was hurting no one. Just please don't do anything that could get yourself banned.

After reading all the posts from my last one I've fingured out it isn't very illegal.

But that's no excuse of spamming up the worlds with "Save SS" "Don't have such great programs illegal you moron mods" :shame:

I don't like it at all. People shouldn't get so upset because of one program. This is incredibly horrible. :notalk:

This also slows down business then someone's trying to buy something. :x

I think people that complains about this should be muted for a short time, week would probably make them be sorry about what they've done.

So what if they don't allow SS anymore? They shouldn't complain like it isn't possible to bookmark things. I mean seriously, how long does it take to get to programs after you've bookmarked? Isn't that about the same rate as SS was?

I really hope someone agrees with this post. I'm trying to make a good point.

I have had some time to wrap my head around the situation. Edited out as I have been contacted with detailed sufficient reasoning

I will be on my way home tomorrow, but that means two days driving. Once I am home and on my computer though I'll be able to get alot more sorted out.

Rest assured that everyone involved with the SwiftSwitch project will be working tirelessly to come up with a solution. I am positive we can work something out, it will just take some time

As far as using SwiftSwitch goes at the moment, I would suggest you use it at your own risk. While they are giving players a time frame, I'm not entirely sure what will happen as I've not had a chance to get in contact with anyone from Jagex.

For now, show your support in any way you see fit, let them know this rule change was completely uncalled for. Sign petitions, show your support in game, on forums, anything. Let them know SwiftSwitch was hurting no one. Just please don't do anything that could get yourself banned.

It's impressive that he's actually going to continue with this project. I still don't feel that it'll do him much good; Jagex has already decided and a change in their new policy would do them more harm than good.

After reading all the posts from my last one I've fingured out it isn't very illegal.

But that's no excuse of spamming up the worlds with "Save SS" "Don't have such great programs illegal you moron mods" :shame:

I don't like it at all. People shouldn't get so upset because of one program. This is incredibly horrible. :notalk:

This also slows down business then someone's trying to buy something. :x

I think people that complains about this should be muted for a short time, week would probably make them be sorry about what they've done.

So what if they don't allow SS anymore? They shouldn't complain like it isn't possible to bookmark things. I mean seriously, how long does it take to get to programs after you've bookmarked? Isn't that about the same rate as SS was?

I really hope someone agrees with this post. I'm trying to make a good point.

I concur. It's not fair to the people trying to do thing constructive if all you see are "SAVE SS" in your chat window. :(

s1L0U.jpg