All discussion here: Jan 2, 2006 - Rule 7 and Rule 9 Updated

JIMMIE

After reading all the posts from my last one I've fingured out it isn't very illegal.

But that's no excuse of spamming up the worlds with "Save SS" "Don't have such great programs illegal you moron mods" :shame:

I don't like it at all. People shouldn't get so upset because of one program. This is incredibly horrible. :notalk:

This also slows down business then someone's trying to buy something. :x

I think people that complains about this should be muted for a short time, week would probably make them be sorry about what they've done.

So what if they don't allow SS anymore? They shouldn't complain like it isn't possible to bookmark things. I mean seriously, how long does it take to get to programs after you've bookmarked? Isn't that about the same rate as SS was?

I really hope someone agrees with this post. I'm trying to make a good point.

i head your point brother!... but as of sinse this happened... im in neutral zone... i dont know wether i like it or not... i loved ss but its no a bid deal... im confused about the whole thing.... im just listening to the point on both sides... :-k

bppetrolsigfb6.png

Even on my death bed, I'll bare-hand that bloody shark.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im in neutral zone... i dont know wether i like it or not... i loved ss but its no a bid deal... im confused about the whole thing.... im just listening to the point on both sides... :-k

Exactly where I stand.

sigforrooneyxu0.jpg

ÃÆââââ¬Ã¢Ã¢ââ¬Ã

I think this is great, it lets other people that hasn't acces/aren't allowed to use to SS get onto crowded worlds easier. But I'm most satisfied with the autotalker one, now we might see some less spamming in W1 and W2. It's almsot impossible for persons without autotalkers to get their merchandise sold.

ashmsig1uq.png

overseerlp5.png

R.I.P. Shiva and Steve

Ok having read through all these pages, I wanted to put some points out there.

From the RS main page, one of the reasons for SS, in particular, being illegal now is the chat. People were/may have been getting scammed/"hacked"/etc. And while it is a players own responsibility to make sure they and their items are safe ingame. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of these victims, then queried Jagex, saying something like:

Victim - "I got scammed using SS".

Jagex - "We've warned that 3rd party programs might be dangerous."

Victim - "Yea, but you never said they were illegal, so I used them and now I've lost my stuff."

So now customer service has to take care of all these complaints about a program they have nothing to do with. Which causes more rants about how terrible customer service is, because they have all these "other" queries to have to go through on top of actual ones.

The biggest complaint I've seen about the ban, is about the mIRC chat. You've never needed SS before to do this. Simply resize your RS window to fit the game screen only, then you have the same amount of free monitor space that you had with SS. Now open your mIRC client and resize it's chat window to fit below your RS screen. You can still see the rs screen while chatting and vice versa.

I'm not going to argue whether it gave advantages or not. Those who used it will say it didn't, while those who didn't use it will say that it did. But I will ask, that if it didn't give you an advantage, then what makes it so hard to not use it?

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

lol- lets look at the maths

(this was correct at the time)

13:44:13 (CURRENT TIME)

Sticky being run for 20 hrs

current amount of pages: 1314

--10 posts per page

1314*10 = 13,140 posts

20hrs*60mins = 1,200mins post has been up

13,140posts/1,200mins = 10.95 posts per min

10.95 posts per min/60seconds in a min: 0.1825

WOW alot of rants

Joined Runescape: 23/01/02 |||. Retired from Runescape: 07/07/2007

[hide=Quotes]

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

"Level 1 sailing: ability to build a failboat.'
[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Drops: Ahrims Hood, Guthans set FULL (minus legs), dragon half shield, dragon legs/skirt

The rules are updated again:

3 Januari 2007 - Rule 7 and 9 updated (again!)

Following yesterday's update to Rule 7 and Rule 9, we have tweaked them both a bit more - to take into account some constructive feedback and thoughts we've had on the matter. Thanks to the people who have been helping us get these right rather than just ranting at us! Particularly our thanks to Strider. We believe the latest revision is still just as good at protecting our users, which is very important to us, but is also less restrictive (which is also important to us!). Please take the time to re-read both rules and make sure you fully understand them. Thanks.

Of course, having said all that we should remind everyone that downloading third party RuneScape programs is potentially extremely dangerous and still not at all recommended. Please be aware that there are programs out there which claim to be a cool RuneScape add-on, but actually install a keylogger on your computer and steal your password! You should also be aware that there are such programs around that won't necessarily be spotted by your anti-virus software. Scanning downloads is, of course, a very good idea but it still doesn't 100% eliminate the risk.

Does this mean that SS is allowed again??

99AgilitySignature-1.jpg

QP cape (20 october 2007)

WEWT!!!!!

THEY FIXED IT.... I think

NEWS ITEM

[hide=Quotes]

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Drops: Ahrims Hood, Guthans set FULL (minus legs), dragon half shield, dragon legs/skirt

Looks like u guys won?

Can u now use SwiftShift again?

we got 'em... We got 'em good

Wow... the power of ranting and threats

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Looks like u guys won?

Funny, I read "Thanks to the people who have been helping us get these right rather than just ranting at us!" not, "thanks for all the whiney little moaning"

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

Looks like u guys won?

Funny, I read "Thanks to the people who have been helping us get these right rather than just ranting at us!" not, "thanks for all the whiney little moaning"

But the whiney little moaning worked didnt it ?

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Looks like u guys won?

No it didn't. You are just lucky that some mature players had the chance to talk to Jagex and plea for SS in a normal and orderly manner. Without resulting to needless spamming and ranting. Your little spamathon had no effect for the benefit of SS. If anything, you just annoyed a lot of people :roll:

No, it was the people like Strider. The ones who have the sense to discuss their probelms with Jagex like reasonable people.

They gave SS back? Thats interesting. I used to use last summer but then I read Rule 7 and decided that they were going to ban it one day. So all my friends can continue using it...

i r tink tht a11 ppl shud use g00d gr@m3r since g00d gr@m3r is ftw.

To all people who complained about SS being banned: You can now not complain if Jagex doesn't release updates "on time" as things such as this is what causes the Updates to be delayed, the amount of mayhem caused will probably see an update pushed back a day if not more. Mods had to deal with all your whining both in game and on forums taking away time from making the game better.

And now it's time for... Another Wolfy's Thought On the Matter! This week, the concern of third party clients, and the revisal made by Jagex!

Welcome, to this weeks Wolfy's Thought On the Matter!

To make it simple, it's stupid that this SS was brought back, it makes sensible people (like me) Who want to get into FULL WORLDS almost impossible! I ca spend up to 15 minutes waiting to get in, whereas these people using this "SS" can get in instantly. I find it annoying and pathetic. Though I am glad that Jagex was gotten to, not by that ranting and spamming of world 27, and by the mature players who truly talked to them on the issue. All we need now? Is for the owner(s) of SS to steal all those peoples accounts! And who'd be laughing then? Jagex. They'd reserve the right to say "haha, we were right, we should have kept it banned, hope they all learned their lesson!" Anyhow, that's concluding another week of Wolfy's Thought On the Matter!

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

To all people who complained about SS being banned: You can now not complain if Jagex doesn't release updates "on time" as things such as this is what causes the Updates to be delayed, the amount of mayhem caused will probably see an update pushed back a day if not more. Mods had to deal with all your whining both in game and on forums taking away time from making the game better.

Wrong.The ability to use swift switch is much more valuable to me than a new quest of trivial update. It makes my game experience easier, more pleasant and I throughly support those "whiners" even if they have delayed an update (which i doubt), they have made the game much better than a new quest to use in grown toenails with wings to carry you from cairn isle to Llyeta or something stupid like that.

And Swift swith affords you no more advantage than allowing you to look up some one's stats quickly and avoid the repetetive clicking to refresh the rs web page, and allows you to keep trying without actualy wasting time clicking on it. Gee...those sure are massive, game altaring advantages. Jages should make these fixtures a part of thier own browser window, seing as they are so sensible.

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

Quote from Paul on RS forums...

These are our guidelines for making a legal to use piece of third party software.

The main 3rd party program in question is closer to following these guidelines than some - but there are some changes needed to it yet - till it's allowed to be used.

------------------

* When viewing a free world on a computer display with a resolution higher than 800 x 600, the game pane should default to at least 710 pixels high, and must not be able to scroll vertically. I.e. the game pane must be displayed in such a way that both the game and advert are fully visible at the same time (otherwise it encourages users to break Rule 11).

* The program should not allow worlds marked as 'FULL' on the world select page to be selected (otherwise it encourages users to break Rule 7 - unfair advantage).

* If the program has its own integrated chat feature separate from the RuneScape chat, it should make it very clear to users that this chat is not part of RuneScape and is not official, endorsed or moderated by Jagex in any way. Furthermore, this chat should still be moderated (just not by us), and the moderators should not allow chat which infringes our rules of conduct. All the rules are important, but in particular if Rule 3 or Rule 9 are regularly breached on the external chat, the program will be considered to endanger users or encourage rule breaking. To avoid confusion with the official RuneScape chat, moderators of the external chat should not be indicated with a silver or gold crown. If the chat is IRC based, then the program should only allow access to IRC channels which conform with the above.

* The program should not contain adverts or links to websites which encourage rule breaking or endanger users.

We may update this list from time to time to keep it current, hence this is not intended to be an exhaustive list, simply some things to think about. In general, for the program to be allowed for users to use under Rule 7, it must not do anything which encourages rules breaking or endangers users.

-------------------------------

bunyip.png