Waste?

dragon246665

If you read almost any thread about a certain accomplishment you will almost certainly find people who say "lol nerd" or "wow no life". But you know what, why?

Take "Fred" for example. Fred gets good grades in school. Fred spends time with his friends. Fred is polite and stays out of trouble. But also Fred likes playing games, and on an average day Fred will spend three hours playing Runescape.

One day, after long months or even years of hard work Fred gets his goal of 99 slayer. Fred os so proud that he takes a picture of it and posts it on a thread on an online community, perhaps even Tip It. Fred goes to bed, happy and with an all around good feeling knowing that his long slog to 99 has finally come to an end.

The next day Fred rushes to his computer to check his thread and you know what the first thing he sees is, someone who says "Why is this an accomplishment slayer has no use after 90." Undaunted Fred continues to read. The second post is similar. "Wow you must have no lifed a ton" Fred is devastated, he begins to feel like his hobby for the last few years was a total waste of time and even though there would be posts on his thread denouncing the nay-sayers with arguments like "Slayer is one of the hardest 99's to get" Fred is still not feeling like it was worth it.

Or you could look at Jack, Jack is similar to Fred in the sense that he is a good person who just likes playing Runescape. One day he decides that he really wants to make a cool video about Runescape. The problem is that he dosn't know the first thing about video editing.

A long while later Jack has become a self taught director, he spent countless hours searching the internet for ways to get certain effects into his video or how to get just the right crop. Jack even spent money on this, buying software to make his hobby possible. When Jack is finally done he puts his masterpiece on youtube and the next day, people bash him for having an Ags in his video, saying things like "Rich noob you probly merched for that" or "wow man get a life this must have taken forever". Jack now feels the same way as Fred, like he wasted his time on his hobby.

So I ask you, why do people do this? They have no connection to Jack or Fred, they don't even know them nor will they ever recognize each other if they passed in the street and yet they still went out of their way just to say how they think they wasted their time. Why can't they just not post, knowing that someone they will never meet is happier because of it.

Rejected.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay for being the cynic.

People are naturally self-centered. Anything that somebody else does better has to be because somebody cheated or they're uncool.

This is the internet. It's probably the only thing you can take for granted on here.

NO MERCH - NO PEST CONTROL - NO SOUL WARS

Lowest combat (only sub-90) on the TIF high scores list

mr_ph3r.png

8inagility.jpg

mr_ph3r.png

It's the Internet. You have complete anonymity, and thus you can behave however you want, and not feel the consequences irl. If you want to be a douche online, it's ok, because no one you know irl will find out.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Most people are fundamentally bad and need incentives to act in a good way. Punishments will keep people from acting bad, with the lack of punishment over the Internet, nothing will stear someone on the right track except that person's conscience and this is not a skill most people train.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

That was a good read :).

I once read something about games; 'everyone who is a higher lvl than you has no life, and everyone who has a lower lvl than you is a noob'. I think this is kinda true, Fred and Jack both have a higher lvl/editing skills than the people flaming them so therefore... They have 'no life'.

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

It's the internet. It is full of [bleep] heads that have nothing better to do than feel sorry for themselves and bash other people for doing better than they ever could. And they do it because they can't bear the brunt of the consequences in the real-world. The worst you will get is a ban from a forum at the most.

And you make me feel bad; Fred is my friends name :P

disturbeda.png

I wanted to hear more about more about John who made a brief appearance in the second sentence :( :P

Mainly people do it because they haven't achieved it themselves and in many cases probably never will. Also people don't know what you did other than train a skill to 99. If someone took 5 years to get 99 slayer because they had a social life and concentrated on school/uni/work and someone took 1 year to get 99 slayer they would both get similar responses.

For example I got 99 attack last August and people who hadn't been tracking my process called me a "no lifer" and those that had said I was a noob because it took me 2.5 years to do it.

There will always be people who do it because s Mdeoxys said, if you're a higher level than someone you have no life.

Good read though ::'

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Jealousy is a big factor and not fully understanding something being the main other factor.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

This post is a waste of time. I cant belive you spent your time writing this post on an internet forum. Get a life noob!

p.s I was being ironic. <3

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

That's not ironic, mercifull.

But really, the internet is a troll haven. People will behave tremendously different than they would face to face- at least some of them wouldn't talk that way to your face if you told them you finally finished your art project (model car, remodeling of your house, etc). But on the internets there are no social restrictions as there are no lasting repercussions for being an outright douchebag and generally a jerk.

So I say Fred and Jack needn't look to the intrawebs for their ego boost. They'll be shot down or ignored most of the time. And those who care either comment as such and are looked over because negative comments stand out more, or not comment at all.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

You're right, I was being sarchastic. We were talking about something being ironic in the office this morning and for some reason I typed that. Not a big deal.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The reason people are like this is because they are either...

A. Jealous of what that person has accomplished.

B. They got a 99 with a easy method (Like perst control, or Soul wars for melee) then they did.

or C. They have nothing eles better to do.

I have had this happen, but in my honest opinion, there is nothing you can do about it. Pople will always be like this. Best example...

When I got 99 woodcutting, I was bashed slightly that I got it from willows. People were saying that, "wow your a noob for doing willows, thats so easy... I could have done it in half the time you did it."

Best I can say to people, if you are going to post a amazing achievement, you best prepare your self for flaming. It's going to happen, nothing you can do about it.

EDIT:

Also, if you get flamed and it feels like it was a waste, then you should stop playing runescape. Runescape is supposed to be fun, and if you think your greatest achievement is a waste, your playing the game for the wrong reason. Take pride in what you did, and move on.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Unless you're a well known player. Then the only bashing you usually get (on Tip.It) is about no lifing. But even that bashing is sugar coated to suck up to the OP. For example, Chenjs2 posts here occasionally and gets nothing but buttkissery.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

The way you put it is so dramatic "Fred was devastated"

What if the people replying to him replied with "gj gratz" it would been like:

"Fred was filled with joy... and then he became president"?

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

This is an quite an unnecessary thread. The reason behind this is very simple: People get jealous and when they feel like that and are on the internet they post a message like "You noob" and says that he/she probably cheated for it. That way they can still feel proud and better than those who're actually better than themselves.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I wanted to hear more about more about John who made a brief appearance in the second sentence :( :P

Mainly people do it because they haven't achieved it themselves and in many cases probably never will. Also people don't know what you did other than train a skill to 99. If someone took 5 years to get 99 slayer because they had a social life and concentrated on school/uni/work and someone took 1 year to get 99 slayer they would both get similar responses.

For example I got 99 attack last August and people who hadn't been tracking my process called me a "no lifer" and those that had said I was a noob because it took me 2.5 years to do it.

There will always be people who do it because s Mdeoxys said, if you're a higher level than someone you have no life.

Good read though ::'

Yes, really who is John what is he doing, what role is he playing? The other day i was looking at some old pictures of Runescape and at one point i was the 97th best fighter(back then they only counted HP as who was best on highscores) this was in all of Runescape. Now today im just a another character with 99 hp and melee stats one of thousands just like me, was it a waste? Yes, im sure i could have been more productive with my time but i had fun playing. Do i care if people that i dont know say im a loser for being that good? No i couldn't care less... If Fred and Jack really get their feelings hurt by what people over the internet say then they really should take some time and reflect on where they are going in life becuase worrying about what people over the internet think and say is not a good path to be on...

People are naturally self-centered. Anything that somebody else does better has to be because somebody cheated or they're uncool.

ive done it before, but not without a reason. people usually do it for no reason other than to put the other down. but when i bash someone, i give my reasons for. its not as bad, but it isnt good either. but it is fair to let the person know why

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

ur a noob no lifer noob

I mean, uh, if you have good reason for doing so, then you have good reason for doing so. I think they're talking specifically about those people who seem to not really have any reason, if I'm not mistaken.

NO MERCH - NO PEST CONTROL - NO SOUL WARS

Lowest combat (only sub-90) on the TIF high scores list

mr_ph3r.png

8inagility.jpg

mr_ph3r.png