How To Become A Master Thief: 1 - 99 Thieving Guide!

Neglexis

If memory serves me correctly, I usually get around 100-120k xp per hour at 88 Thieving doing Pyramid Plunder, but I heard that people can get 200-300k per hour if they are at least 91 Thieving doing Pyramid Plunder.

Is this true?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but you can trap 2 or more NPCs so you decrease your chances of being caught and having to kill the guards. I find with this set up i only have to kill the occasional guard like once every 10 steals.

theivingnub.png

metroidsmudge.png

• 1 month later...

I just did 90-99 thieving in one straight session, no sleep. So for now, I consider myself somewhat of an authority on pickpocketing.

Thieving xp increases from about 190k/h to about 225k/h MAX, pickpocketing thugs from 90-99. I don't have exact figures below that, but I' think about 175k at 80.

If you fail to knock him out, don't try to pickpocket him again. There's a small delay before combat starts when you're not stunned and can try to knock him out again. Repeat until he's on the floor.

Done perfectly, you should never fail a pickpocket. Pickpockets stun you instantly.

Pyramid Plunder maxes at about 230k exp/h. It requires about a fifth of the concentration however. It's faster and easier than blackjacking after 91.

Looking directly north, one of the bandit houses begins to look like a hamburger box.

Blackjacking after 91 is mostly for those that hate PP.

• 4 weeks later...

Yea, this guide needs an update. Alternate training methods are nice for people who hate blackjacking, also the guys you can blackjack in the thieves guild are slightly more annoying but still good exp. And yes the master farmer method from 90+ to 99 is the best way to profit (around 500-700 k per hour) for people who still want decent exp (around 70-100 k per hour) providing ardy cloak 3 and gloves of silence.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

• 5 months later...

I did it the way simpler way.. pickpocketed men and women all over RuneScape until my thieving level was high enough to steal from the tea stall next to the Varrock East Bank, did that until 45, completed The Feud, got access to coshing in Thieves' Guild and got 45-94 in just 2-3 weeks. Planning on getting 99 within a week or two!

• 1 month later...

35-99 thieving with sorcerer's garden is the best way. I got 30+ lvls in thieving in few days, also free farming levels.

Pretty nice guide tho =)

False. If you want xp, the methods described in the guide (pyramid plunder, desert blackjacking, and coshing at thieves guild [not in guide]) are the best way to go. If you're looking to profit you should switch over to master farmers at 93. The best xp you'll see at the garden is around 130k/hr. Not bad, but there are definitely better ways.

Anyone who's interested in methods for the Sorceress's Garden (last i checked this guide didn't cover it) may want to check out this guide: http://forum.tip.it/topic/259579-one-clicking-the-summer-garden/

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

• 6 months later...

I use PP now and have done from about 70 tbh, although I've had a long break and lost my technique haha. I used the Sorceress Garden beforehand because of the small Farming bonus xp lol.

My PP method is probably not the best but I just open doors then 3rd to last room open the chest, 2nd to last look for snakes and chest then everything in the last room. I take 2 super anti poisons and 10 monkfish, I've made my pots and caught and cooked my fish so they owe me nothing, but at current market prices a minimum of 9 gold seals sold to Simon Templeton covers the cost of these.

Nice guide, very useful for speed to get to 99!

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

I would keep the gold seals to recharge your Pharaoh's sceptre. It's the fastest way to switch to ancient magicks and unless you have astral teletabs it's also the fastest way to switch back to normal magics from lunar.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

There's no question that PP is awesome experience, but people reporting 220K+ experience are simply exaggerating. Anything north of 200K is most likely an exaggeration.

There is literally NO WAY to get 12 games completed in an hour, and I'd be shocked if anyone completes 11, considering the lag associated with logout, time to find the mummy when he moves, and doing stuff such as restoring pray points, getting more food, etc.

In each game, people will tell you that you will get 20K+ experience. These people are what we call LIARS. While it is certainly possible to get that in one game, it is absolutely not repeatable. In over 30 rounds of PP at levels 91-92, I have actually NEVER done better that 18K. I've tried checking snakes, not checking, skipping the boxes, getting some from 81+91 floors, focusing on getting everything from 91, etc. Absolutely no way people are consistently pulling 200K+.

Additionally, the game is currently broken. The frequency that the door to the next room rotates has been increased significantly, meaning it is VERY common that by the time you check all four doors, the correct door has moved. I've actually had to check -7- doors on one floor before moving on. Think about that. Yuck.

I despise thieving. That being said, I think you did a very nice job with your guide. Some people go completely crazy on level of detail, but there are no major flaws here. 8/10.

stormveritas.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but when KO+pick+pick-ing Menaphite Thugs, you can halt the combat by pickpocketing them if you fail to knock them out.

I do not have the video tech to show this, but I have been doing it for awhile. If you fail to KO, quickly pickpocket them and you will not have to run away.

wessan.png

• 1 month later...

Nothing about monkey knife fighters? Its better exp than pp and blackjacking all the way from 75 to 99

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

• 2 weeks later...

I feel I need to add my bit here, for people who like to play RS in a different way.

I have never 'powered' through to level 99. I do have 99 thieving, but that's because I enjoy it (I think my xp is around 25m now) and it took me a while to get there. If you enjoy thieving then make sure you don't kill that pleasure off by overdoing one aspect. Create variety, I did some PP, some safes (in Rogues Den) because that helped with my crafting skill, but mostly master farmers because this helped with my farming skill. And I regularly took breaks from it. Use the guide to get you started, then find what works for you.

Don't forget you should have fun doing this, so don't forget to do it in the way you find the most enjoyable and if it takes a little longer......does that really matter? :razz:

35cq0q9.png

There's no question that PP is awesome experience, but people reporting 220K+ experience are simply exaggerating. Anything north of 200K is most likely an exaggeration.

There is literally NO WAY to get 12 games completed in an hour, and I'd be shocked if anyone completes 11, considering the lag associated with logout, time to find the mummy when he moves, and doing stuff such as restoring pray points, getting more food, etc.

In each game, people will tell you that you will get 20K+ experience. These people are what we call LIARS. While it is certainly possible to get that in one game, it is absolutely not repeatable. In over 30 rounds of PP at levels 91-92, I have actually NEVER done better that 18K. I've tried checking snakes, not checking, skipping the boxes, getting some from 81+91 floors, focusing on getting everything from 91, etc. Absolutely no way people are consistently pulling 200K+.

Additionally, the game is currently broken. The frequency that the door to the next room rotates has been increased significantly, meaning it is VERY common that by the time you check all four doors, the correct door has moved. I've actually had to check -7- doors on one floor before moving on. Think about that. Yuck.

You need to use a sceptre, not bank the artifacts and duo pp to gain max rates which are definitely north of 200k, probably north of 250k.

PP doors move when a new person enters the pyramid, but the doors in a room are the same for everyone, so ideally you have someone (or maybe two someones) of equal thieving level and nobody else on your world. One person would check the first and second doors in the room and the other the third and fourth. Loot the last two rooms in full to gain 19500 xp, plus the xp for at least one of each door (1290 xp), 8 spear traps (80 xp) and probably the last gold chest (550 xp) for a total of at least 21420 xp in five minutes (235620 xp/hr if you take about 25 seconds per run to recharge your sceptre/start a new game etc.).

The Sceptre of the gods adds 2 urns the to last two rooms for another 3000 xp per run, though you may quite be able to loot the two rooms entirely without a partner.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

You need to use a sceptre, not bank the artifacts and duo pp to gain max rates which are definitely north of 200k, probably north of 250k.

PP doors move when a new person enters the pyramid, but the doors in a room are the same for everyone, so ideally you have someone (or maybe two someones) of equal thieving level and nobody else on your world. One person would check the first and second doors in the room and the other the third and fourth. Loot the last two rooms in full to gain 19500 xp, plus the xp for at least one of each door (1290 xp), 8 spear traps (80 xp) and probably the last gold chest (550 xp) for a total of at least 21420 xp in five minutes (235620 xp/hr if you take about 25 seconds per run to recharge your sceptre/start a new game etc.).

The Sceptre of the gods adds 2 urns the to last two rooms for another 3000 xp per run, though you may quite be able to loot the two rooms entirely without a partner.

I do not have a partner and nor do I think I will ever get one. Should I stick to world 64 where there are quite a few people or should I solo? Which is the better option and which will get the most xp/hr?

• 3 weeks later...

Guide is outdated, missing monkeys and many of the new items that give thieving bonuses. The pp-part is also very narrow. Covers the basics for low levelled and beginners though. 7/10

The fray:

Which is the better option and which will get the most xp/hr?

Many people are looking for duo partners, because the doors reset when som1 enters trough the door, so with the traffic of w64 you will have the doors resetting quite often, but when having 2 people plundering, the doors stay the same most of the time (meaning you both get trough the same door). The idea of duoing is to ahve 2 people checking the doors so it is a lot faster. Only collect gold pieces, and use them to charge sceptres, and use the sceptre to tele to the mummy. Use antipoison totem, and rocktails, or bunyip. also have health regen-items.

What you want from your duo partner:

1. has the same highest room than you (makes the whole process easier)

2. knows how to plunder efficiently, but usually every1 looking for duo partners have a good idea of how to pp

3. you get along. (Brotip: Skype/Vent/TS can improve the communication and make the plundering less boring) :)¨

Or you can always go do the monkeys, better exp and money

• 1 month later...