Interview With Andrew

highlanders

Its more than 5 mil a month though...5 mil would be the minimum they are getting, some places it's more than 5 a month.
Its 5 a month US. Canadians have to pay like 7$, but thats still 5US.
it's 10 canadian if you pay by phone

and dont forget the f2p adverts... thats another 10mil a month... :wall:

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta love people who make up random numbers.

Interesting that RuneScape has reached the 1 million subscription mark now - finally a new number.

Why dont they just invest 1 million dollars into getting rid of macros? !million would probably bring them down quite a lot, and less people might be encouraged to quit, so in the long run theyll get their money back.

Its not about destroying macros, you say that as if its something that's easy

If it was so easy to do they would have, & after a small amount of time they would find ways around it again making the hole 1mil a wasted cause.

And as Jagex pointed out in the "1 May 2007 - Bots and real-world trading"

its not so much the macros as it is the chines farmers so to speak.

Your asking them to spend a mil to help remove them, when we have already been told they are working on it,

so we are in the process of upgrading our detection and prevention systems.

What's happening is more complex than it first seems. What's actually going on is that the VAST majority of the level-3 characters you see playing the game repetitively and not talking to anyone, are actually people from countries such as China and Korea, who are trying to collect RuneScape gold to sell for real world money

So they are not simple unmanned accounts but people who are payed to play like bots/marcos <.<

actually i think the gold farmers are running bots to maximize profit so its two problems in one

Don't Click This

ironmfmcape,dominator428.gif

774th to 99 hunting on July 16th 2007

Do you plan on using the same underlying engine going forward - are there newer ones in the works?

AG: Oh, we plan to continue to use this same engine. We have been very pleased with the technology we've used with RuneScape, and we'll continue to develop future products and games using this same engine.

How many of those members are macroers though?

128+ Combat \\ 1900+ Total Level \\ 85M+ EXP

5,999th To 99 Woodcutting Achieved June 27, 2007

66,931st To 99 Strength Achieved January 23rd, 2009

Draconic Visage: 1+ \\ DK Drops: 169+ \\ GWD Drops: 74+

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13769

About macroers. Some people buy memberships pins and sell them for 1M on the blk market. So the member macros pay aswell :P

But there's not alot of member macros, only pure ess miners.

2480+ total

You gotta love people who make up random numbers.

Interesting that RuneScape has reached the 1 million subscription mark now - finally a new number.

calculated it meself... adds cost 0,01-0,05 $ each... now calculate what jagex gets for a f2per thats playing 3 hours a day, 30 days a month (10 - 20 adds)

how many ppl play only 3 hours a day on f2p? milions? :P

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

I'm fed up with people, like the poster, whinging about the RS graphics. Graphics are not the attraction of RS. If it was then no-one would play it.

And I'm fed up with people picking on me all the time because I actually have opinions unlike a lot of people. Make my day, and stop flaming me personally, it's just annoying.

It wasn't my intent to flame you personally, I was just using you as an example of the particular genre. If you feel personally insulted, then I apologise.

Do you plan on using the same underlying engine going forward - are there newer ones in the works?

AG: Oh, we plan to continue to use this same engine. We have been very pleased with the technology we've used with RuneScape, and we'll continue to develop future products and games using this same engine.

Oh, we plan to continue to use this same engine. We have been very pleased with the technology we've used with RuneScape, and we'll continue to develop future products and games using this same engine.

>=]

2480+ total

On the subject of the cost of members. The charge made by Jagex IS US$5 per month (or whatever that translates to in your local currency). Anything over that goes to the companies used for the transaction, ie. if you pay by phone the excess over USÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5 you pay goes directly to the phone company. I pay by direct debit from my bank account and it costs me ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3.20 (which is roughly US$5).

On the subject of macroers/gold farmers etc. If the people playing RS did not buy the RS gold from these traders then the trade would cease. This would mean that Jagex would not need to spend time and money tracking down the macroes and RL traders and thus have more money to spend on RS (and even make better graphics). So basically it is the minority of dishonest players of RS that are affecting the updates available to the majority.

Impressive...

they also make money from the advertisement. But server costs are expensive, along with staff. They take home at least 4.5M i'm guessing.

interesting.

I noticed that nearly a month ago that the 1 Millionth Fletcher was ranked 31, which told me that there were at least 1 Million subscribers.

Still though, you think with all the money they have now (even deducting the salaries, and server costs) they could have a little bit of cash left over to improve the macro detection, and to improve the graphics a bit.

Not necessarily, many of those accounts are probably no longer member status.
mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

Quite apart from server costs, wages etc. don't think that 1 million subscribers means that Jagex are getting $5m dollars month. Everyone seems to be forgetting that wonderful three letter word so beloved of everyone who is old enough to work for a living, namely, TAX

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

My 'grats to Jagex. Here's a sweet tip:

Start selling cool stuff in the RL marketplace, not just lame-o posters. For example, you could sell paper partyhats in packs of ten for a couple dollars or something. I'd wear them (Not in public :-$ ). Plus, models would be cool too. More money for you, more stuff for us. Everybody wins! \'

Very nice, I remember reading an article a while back about how they reached 800k members, there they said it was their goal to get 1 million, well looks like they've reached it =D> they should have put this on the main page.

Also, how about giving us a link to the article?

Why dont they just invest 1 million dollars into getting rid of macros? !million would probably bring them down quite a lot, and less people might be encouraged to quit, so in the long run theyll get their money back.

art of the upsurge in RuneScape's popularity could probably be attributed to Jagex's recently launched German-language RuneScape beta. Jagex also has a solid reputation for its rigorous security policy. The company now has over 150 support staff able to deal with any issues that arise around the world 24/7.

http://mmorpg.qj.net/RuneScape-passes-o ... /aid/91293

150 support staff x $20000 / year = 3,000,000 / year of support staff cost. I think JaGeX is trying. If you compare RS to other games (aka MapleStory), you'll realize that JaGeX actually does a pretty good job.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it