The "Cost" Of A Mature Conversation?

salim123

I give beggars Security Books, stating it's the most valuable thing I own, and then if they swear at me, I report them and add them to my ignore list. \'

Oh, and one time I was in World 2 trying to sell something and I made my price less than this one kid's, so he starts shouting "Dragons scamming! report him!" I ask him how I am scamming and he doesn't answer. Instead, he proceeds to verbally bash me, telling me I am a "nerd" and I "have no life" I just added him to my ignore list and was on my merry way. What amused me, though, was he kept following me for around ten minutes after I put him on my ignore list, probably thinking I was still hearing his worthless garble.

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to run into respectable people to converse with every so often. Maybe a couple of times per week. The level of immaturity is indeed appalling though, and I'm sure f2p is even worse. However Jagex has nobody to blame but themselves for the childish player base they've collected. The chat filter is more restrictive than any game I've ever played and they keep replacing words with pictures. I think they're working towards making the game look like those toys with the arrow that spins when you pull a cord and you just click on the pictures. "the cow goes MMOOOOOOO" I mean if they can't even expect the people playing to make up their own mind whether they want to give out their instant messenger or email contact info(which they made against the rules), there is a problem. Jagex is trying too hard to babysit, and it drives the more mature players to other games.

Well, my reasoning behind their ad campaign is this:

Teenagers are more likely to opt for WoW, due to the eye candy and realism, and they are less restricted by parents as well as monetarily.

Pre-adolescents, on the other hand, are very limited monetarily so they don't have much of a choice when it comes to paying for something. Parents read the "Parent Guide" and get the concept that the game is suitable for their children and then bribe the children that "If you get As I'll pay for your subscription." Also, it's my opinion that the Chat Filter is another part of their ad campaign. Parents see that there is a filter so they think that "little Johnny" is shielded from profanities (regardless of the fact that he hears far worse things at school every day.) Jagex knows that it's absurdly strict for 13+, but they also know that if they present a strict censor, parents are more likely to pay for their kids' subscriptions. It's all about marketing strategies.

td2sig.jpg

You're probably right about the marketing being intentionally aimed at kids since older people will naturally gravitate to games like wow, eq, vanguard, ff XI, etc, for the eye candy. Either way it's rather irritating for those of us that play who have already graduated preschool. I'm nearly 22 and occasionally I might like to have a conversation about something besides "yu gi oh!" or why I won't be their girlfriend(my character is a girl, and I'm a guy, a concept most of them can't wrap their head around, go figure.)

"What is the community coming to now where a group of people cant talk without being interupted by an immiture kid."

It's coming to be exactly what it has been for a very long time.

And most of the "immature kids" in the game are over 13 -- some of them far over 13.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Lol,so you were talking to 8 people nicely they were automatically over 14?I think not.I know a load of people who are under 13 who i can easily have a joke about with,and have a mature conversation with and gues what!?I am only 13!

Hey guys,we have a mindreader here at Tip.it,he knows how old people are through a computer screen :roll:

Instead of super strength pots you would have spinach. :lol:

Reply to a thread about Disney Buying Runescape

The typical Runescape player and conversation in the game is the reason why I barely log in these days.

You call a 14-year-old mature?

I'm 13. Nothing wrong with age. Just how you get brought up. Gawd.

Life experience comes with age = maturity. Yes you may get the odd few kids under 16 who can hold a converstation, but it's rare.

You'll look back and remember when you thought you were 'mature' at 13 and laugh so hard you'll cry. :lol:

Hell I thought I was mature at 17.. life changes your views more than you could ever imagine.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

Actually, if I want to find an intelligent conversation, I stand around a very public place and say "I'm surrounded by incompetence." And then i just wait for someone to defend themselves. I normally tear them apart, but it's nice to know some try to hold their own.

:lol: It's the highbrow equivalent of "all u ppl r noobs!" Of course, correct spelling, punctuation, etc. are good hallmarks of more intelligent (if not necessarily more mature) conversation.

D

2009 Member Goals: Undetermined

IGNORE LIST

Results may vary.

... if your gonna post at least post something that counts...

and does ignore list really help when your talking to someone publicly?

i think not

there fore =;

Yes it does.

If you add somebody to your ignore list, you don't see any more talking from them at all - public or private.

If people in the area are talking to said person and you don't like what they are saying, then add them as well. The ignore list is a terrific solution to the "I don't like what so and so is saying" complaint.

Heck, I'll even go a step further and say that if people in my area start up a flame war ("you're a noob" "whatever nooblet" "shut up nubcake"), I'll just turn public chat off and talk to my friends privately or in clan chat.

viral_wulf.png

The cost of a mature conversation: Finishing 'Swan Song' and doing nothing but fish monkfish.

I've gotten past the point of expecting 8 year olds to be mature, I just tend to keep my public chat on 'off'...

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Yeah, most of the time now, my public chat is off. The conversations at they draynor willow trees are anything but thought provoking and interesting.

They usually go:

Wc lvl!!!!????!!!?!?!?!!`1!11!!!!!?//?!?!?!??!??!1//?!?!?

and responses

me: 74

z0mg!!!1! liar n00b u dunt hav 74 wcn!!11! liar n0bv

Or,

z0mg ur [happy]

n0 ur [happy]

ur a n00b

no, ur a n00b

me: Private chat = off *goes to my favorite clan chat*

tfssig.png

Although I know what you mean about mature conversations, I actually saw nothing wrong with that one. I mean sure, he's talking about drugs, but who cares? I would have laughed out loud. I don't really see how immature that is, probably because of the correct grammar you used. But thats just me. :-w

well he kept on talking about drugs and stuff (less grammer and worse spelling)

and at the end he was just kiddin im only 11 i fooled u as if all people older then 15 or 16 talk and do drugs

I see what you mean. I guess I had to be there to get the "vibe."

And master smither, that obviously works, but how will you ever meet new people?

Maybe new people suck <.<

Ugh, Soulthresher, please don't try to make a problem like you did in the RS Cheating Post.

Anyway, back on topic..

Yeah, I find it hard to find a "mature" convo...mostly the only mature ones I have are with my friends. If only RuneScape wasn't full of 10, 11 and 12 year olds thinking "Well, they don't know who I really am and where I live, so I'll do whatever the hell I want!"

:(

The price of a mature conversation? Not sure, really. Sadly enough that a mature conversation even has to have a price.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

That's why thankfully I have a handful of mature friends I can talk to via PM when I need some sanity. 8-)

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

I've actually quite some mature conversations with the "locals" at BA. Same goes for the CW waiting lobby, discussing a tactic on how to pass that way too good ancient, or any other tactic. (World 53 has some awesome players who are there quite often about 115+)

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Although I know what you mean about mature conversations, I actually saw nothing wrong with that one. I mean sure, he's talking about drugs, but who cares? I would have laughed out loud. I don't really see how immature that is, probably because of the correct grammar you used. But thats just me. :-w

well he kept on talking about drugs and stuff (less grammer and worse spelling)

and at the end he was just kiddin im only 11 i fooled u as if all people older then 15 or 16 talk and do drugs

I see what you mean. I guess I had to be there to get the "vibe."

And master smither, that obviously works, but how will you ever meet new people?

Maybe new people suck <.<

Ugh, Soulthresher, please don't try to make a problem like you did in the RS Cheating Post.

Anyway, back on topic..

Yeah, I find it hard to find a "mature" convo...mostly the only mature ones I have are with my friends. If only RuneScape wasn't full of 10, 11 and 12 year olds thinking "Well, they don't know who I really am and where I live, so I'll do whatever the hell I want!"

:(

The price of a mature conversation? Not sure, really. Sadly enough that a mature conversation even has to have a price.

the reason i chose that title is kinda weird anyways

i was having a wonderfull talk with my friends a while ago

and this guy comes in and starts spamming

i ask him to stop and says

i wont stop unless u give me 500 "geepees"

so i did because 500gp is like 1 alch

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

I have found that most the "mature" folks on the game are not in the populated areas. Myself, I rarely even talk to people in game, unless they are on my friends list. And most the people on my list don't play much anymore. I do leave public chat on, in case I want to sell/buy something.

merlina30.png

I cooked to 99 in rogues den on my main. I develpoed a good friendship with some others who were going for 99 there. We had some mature conversations but like you said you get these sad little noobs who found it amusing to shout "@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@i is 1337 pl0x4rz@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@" on an autotyper.

Sar4 Str1k3.

Proud member of Fatality.

Joe,0,ffffff,000000,0.png

The most mature conversations I have are at the karamja fishing dock, (I'm f2p now), mostly consists of:

Me: Does Jagex do anything about these autoers?

Most mature person there: What are autoers.

Immature responses:0mfg stfu auto noob. Autoers are the pwn!

Seriously, where did the mature people go?

Btw, i should start selling mature conversations at World 1, 5k ea.

No witty signatures for me :(

Btw, i should start selling mature conversations at World 1, 5k ea.

Right and when they offer you 1.25k, be sure to call them a "n00b" and inform them that mature conversations are worth 1.5. ;)

remeinds me of the time i sold my soul at dual arena for 50k :D

i made 150k that day

but i got banned for 3 days for doing it

it was worth it though

and the blackmark went away

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

I can't play for a day without people doing the "A q p" trick every minute.

It's either far too obvious, or I'll regret asking when I find out the answer, but... what in the heck is that?

D

well i dont know how to put this without gettin cesored...

but its the shape of a manhood...

when you put them together

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg