The "Cost" Of A Mature Conversation?

salim123

I'll have the occasional mature conversation, and I always enjoy having a political discussion with someone who displays maturity of mind, but I'm always afraid of the passing 11year old wanna-be mod who is report-button-happy, because it always seems they're willing to report you for any conversations, including political ones.

I agree. It's stupid that we have to be so conscious of what we say; it's becoming like the era of the Second Red Scare, when anyone will report anybody else for the least little thing that slips out.

On topic, it is truly hard to have a decent conversation in public on RS anymore. I keep hoping that the torrent of kiddies coming from Miniclip will ebb eventually and the first and second generations of 'Clippers will drop their balls, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Because of that, I am restricted to talking in Clan Chat or PMs, often with my Public on Hide or disabled totally. And if you think that the Rogues Den is bad, you should see the Castle Wars waiting room or Catherby. Both have numerous amounts of noobs saying pathetically immature comments like "lol i did ur mom" or "i farted an it stinx lolz"

The other day in CW, I had a level 64 come up to me in the waiting room and say "wut ur str?" I reply, 99. "wut ur atk" 99.... "wut ur def?" Starting to get peeved, I told him to go look me up in the high scores. "da wut?? were is dat?" FFS! At that point, I put my public on Friends.

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, this is something I've reflected on myself. One time, I was having a discussion on the existence of right/wrong with a college kid at the fishing guild...

...our discussion became slogged with "dont talk about religion", "big words make head hurt", "im reporting you", etc. Pfft, closed-minded people. Don't even bother to criticize religion, you noobs!!

...the horror...

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

Oddly enough, the most mature conversations I have are with cheaters.

My friend recently lost his account to a hacker, and the hacker attempted to trick me into getting hacked as well. I played along acting the dumb and guilible

The other decent conversation was with a player that had just scammed (My fault, didn't check 2nd screen) me out of 30k when I was buying essence. I was a bit bothered, but we got to talking, and he turned out to be a well spoken player, just a bit of a kleptomaniac.

Unfortunately for me, I report first, get friendly after, so I normally never get to speak to these people again.

Average players just tend to want to know what my "str lv" is, and if I'm lucky, "nd hp?". Thats the extent of my normal conversations. I' m always ready to strike up conversation, but for the most part, people on f2p are morons.

that is so true...

hackers are actually very intellegent and i can actualy remember a few conversations i have had with them

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

I'm actually surprised you got a good conversation going with a bunch of people in Rogues Den in the first place.

So true, Rogue's Den is P2P's Varrock east bank. Only noobs that ask for gfs and free stuff.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

If you surround yourself with immature people you are sure to have an immature person interrupt you. :wink:

I have loads of mature friends. Quiet frankly, if you aren't mature, I won't add you. I always have great conversations with them.

The trick is to hang out in less populated areas. I never hit the busy spots unless I want to bank real fast. I tend to stay in the less popular areas. By doing so, there are very few people and my friends and I have great conversations. Clan chat is another option that is used frequently. And finally, PMs.

Do all this and you won't have to worry about the "immature" kids. Sure, they are out there, but they are easily avoidable. Surround yourself with mature people and you will have mature conversations.

devotedconstructionkt0.jpg

It's very rare to find mature players in the game these days. But there is still a lot of them left in the game, so the hope is not dead. Even though the noobs and the inmature players have become more and more, there is still some people left who you can have decent conversations and disscussions with.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

So like.. Do you people get all uptight IRL , when you walk past a 5th grade class, because they're immature too ? Don't see why, if you think if urselves as immature, you choose to look down on younger children.

Its part of being a child, you know. Some people are very immature no matter what age.

I find it rather lame to dwell on such a minor act, and one must be immature themselves, if they feel some sort of feeling towards what the "immature" person is saying..

Ermm why not talk about smoke and drugs in rogues den.. lol

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

Ermm why not talk about smoke and drugs in rogues den.. lol

SOme people are overly sensitive.

NOT being able to talk about such subjects is in my opinion an act of immaturity, as one "blocks" out certain subjects blindly.

Well perhaps not immature, but damned narrow-sighted.

The original question was; 'The cost of having a mature conversation'.

Personally, the cost in my opinion would be looking like a fool if you try to have a conversation with a stupid person. Farming is usually a good skill to train whilst having conversation. Immature people, or little kids dpn't have enough patience to play the Farming game.

Anyway, if you want a mature conversation over Runescape, Tip.It is definately the place to be. If you simply want a mature conversation, go to Off-Topic, or the Debate Club in Rants over Runescape.

~R.O.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

I have about 10 people who pretend to be over 13 but type like [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed]s asking me for stuff, I'm so sick of it. They also ask whats my mage/str lvl when I'm wearing the [bleep]ing cape and Jagex want to PROTECT these idiots.

Wiids_I.png

Wiids_I.png

^^ Current goals ^^

That's why I'm grateful I found the clan I'm currently in, all mature and we have inttellectual conversations in the clan chat on a daily basis.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

yes i agree.

the other day a player came up to me and asked me for "free geepees"

i declined the offer and for about have an hour was followed by him being yelled at about drugs and not having a girlfriend.

i finaly asked him how old he was...

he replied "im 11 but isnt i mature!"

bvnqi3.jpg

At the moment i can't really see the full form of the muffin.

Actually, if I want to find an intelligent conversation, I stand around a very public place and say "I'm surrounded by incompetence." And then i just wait for someone to defend themselves. I normally tear them apart, but it's nice to know some try to hold their own.

thhah.gif

Actually, if I want to find an intelligent conversation, I stand around a very public place and say "I'm surrounded by incompetence." And then i just wait for someone to defend themselves. I normally tear them apart, but it's nice to know some try to hold their own.

excuse me but i would just like to state....

great idea!!!

bvnqi3.jpg

At the moment i can't really see the full form of the muffin.

The problem is not only them but the "mature people" that never talk anywhere either.

It just seem to me that the smart people are most of the time anti-social too :| and for some reason the little kid that beg and say stupid things are the one who always talk.

Stephleref.png

I have mature conversations with many people on Runescape on a daily basis. What you put into a conversation is ultimately what you get out of it. At least that is how I look at it.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Now I see a LOT of begging, whining, immaturity and otherwise undesirables that you all have mentioned, but I've never been quite that annoyed that I'd have to turn off my chats or resort to only talking through PMs. And I smith in Varrock west for extended periods of time, so It's not like I'm hiding from it.

You get quite a few people asking for "free rune stuff" or a "free of whatever ur makin" right after someone has come in, asked everyone's smithing levels and they see someone say "92".

Is it annoying? yes, but it's really not that hard to get them to leave me alone. If you do something in large amounts like I do with iron, just tell them that: "if you WANT to follow me, go right ahead, but I have X amount of supplies and I'm going to be here for quite some time".

People usually leave me alone when they KNOW they aren't getting anything and that I have no intention to keep talking to them, even though I'm going to stay. I'm not gonna let annoying people stop me from using the fastest anvil in the game.

You'd be de-motivated from asking me for free stuff if you were gonna be following me while I make a few more hundred thousand iron knives too :wink:

As for mature conversations? i get those all the time. It amazes me how many people i can keep a decent conversation with, even if I'm just talking "shop" with them.