Outsanity

The Archaeology Skill - (Surprise on Page 26!)

nRs"]Support, it's about we had a new skill that isn't designed to drain your cash pile :)

Good luck sending it Jagex. =D>

Yes is there a way to send it to jagex? The idea is brilliant, if only they took notice of it and implemented it. I sure would like to tell them to look at Outsanity's idea, but how :twss: that is the question :-k

RSOF with tons of free bumps.

WarBlastoise.png

Great idea! I only have a small problem with two minor things, easily fixed.

Sandstone Trowel - 30 (35 Smithing to Make)

This trowel can only be obtained through smithing, or can be bought from another player. With this trowel, you will be able to dig up Small and Medium Rock Samples. Also, you will you be able to find Low and Medium Leveled Fossils. This trowel has about a 2.5% chance of breaking during excavation.

Limestone Trowel - 40 (Level 55 Smithing to Make)

This trowel can only be obtained through smithing, or can be bought from another player. With this trowel, you will be able to dig up Small, Medium and Large Rock Samples. Also, you will be able to find Low and Medium Leveled Fossils. This trowel never breaks.

If you think about it logically it makes sense. Sandstone and Limestone would be of no use if they were to be made into trowels as they would (if you have ever actually seen sandstone or limestone) crumble very easily. A more suitable material would be obsidian or blue stone (basalt I believe) trowels. If you were going for a more realistic, something I believe Jagex would do if they were to pick up on this great skill, would be to make the trowels out of bronze - rune/dragon with the advanced 'ancient' at the end as well.

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents worth,

Shadow.

You are awesome for putting "~Shadow" in your signature and not at the bottom of your posts

~Shadow

But then it would be just another thing for bars to be made into. Plus it has a chance of breaking and I have seen sanstone and it doesn't break if you drop it on other sandstone so i don't thing it will break if it is thrust into the ground.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

Ok, guys, I appreciate the feedback. Yes, it's important. But the past page and a half has been the same two people discussing what the skill needs and doesn't need and that is NOT what I asked for when I made this. I think we all need to remember that this is Outsanity's original recipe with suggestions for improvements from readers and fellow Runescape, but this is not a collaboration of any sort.

Therefore, as I said before, I appreciate the feedback, but it's useless for you to sit here and argue back and forth about things to improve because ultimately I still decide what goes into this and what doesn't. I mean, if you want to keep discussing it, go ahead, but just know I don't put every suggestion into action, and about 90% of what you've suggested isn't going to work in my eyes.

But I am glad to see such enthusiasm on the topic. The fact you can be passionate about it makes me feel I've done what I was aiming to do when writing this. So thank you for that. :)

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

Nice idea, but a few points:

1)Noted rewards and some others should not exist

Others include: Seeds, eyes of newt, etc.

Why? Because:

-The bank of Runescape didn't exist back in this time (therefore, notes didn't exist.)

-Paper would not be able to spend hundreds if not thousands of year beneath soil, it would decomposate (as would the eyes of newt and seeds).

Therefore, only metallic or stone rewards would persist.

2)Different locations should = different rewards.

Why? Because:

As in the real world, different locations had different population.

An archeologist would find different things in Roma and Louxor, so we should get different things south of castlewars and in Varrock's digsite.

Suggestion: Make it in relation to deities.

Overall,you can say you have my support( if I didn't say it already...)

For the notes, you're thinking far too logically. If I can eat an entire shark in one bite or earn noted items from monsters such as waterfiends, which would never be able to hold notes since they are made of water and would drench them, making them unuseable, I think we can have notes be a loot from a rock sample.

Also, get the idea OUT of your head that this is just ancient artifacts you are digging up. In main digsites, none of the items are ancient except MAYBE the ancient bones. Everything else is current. I wasn't aiming for every item to be part of "historical" times. So if that what you were thinking then you need to rethink it. Someone could have just dropped an item and over a period of a few months that item was covered with mud, sand and dirt. And then you, the archaeological digger you are, come and find it. It's THAT simple. Yes, some of the items found in the Private Digsites are a little older, but that was the purpose I made the Private Digsites for in the first place.

As to your second note, I really URGE you to re-read the guide. Items are VERY specific to areas they are found in. Crystal Seeds found in lletya, Dragon 2h Swords found in the KQ SES, Talismans/Runes/Essence found in the Lunar Island mines. And let's think about the fact that EVERY piece of an item found at a Private digsite correctly corresponds to the item found in it.

I'm sorry if you missed that, but it's an intregal part of the guide already, and therefore does not need to be implemented, as that would be redundant.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Hmm....I certainly was under a false impression while reading that guide, and the second point was about main digsites. Everything's ok, now.

WarBlastoise.png

Hmm....I certainly was under a false impression while reading that guide, and the second point was about main digsites. Everything's ok, now.

If it's the main digsites you're talking about, then yes, I agree full-heartedly. I actually had someone bring that up to me a few months ago and was meaning to add a few "area-specific" main digsite items, but never got around to it. So yes, thanks for bringing that back to my attention.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Added Archaeological Dangers to the guide to add more risk to the skill and give it more variety.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Hmm at first look it sounded pointless, but it would actually be a fun skill to have. Go ahead and add me to the support list.

pan.png

did they have archaeology back in rs times? :o

d33d15afe02cdbe65e8051919a4e3068.jpg

gwd drops:

bandos:hiltx1

Runescape is NOT set in a specific time period. You should know that.

And of COURSE they had it in ages like the medieval ages, if that's what you're asking. You think that history just started in the last 100 years? History to us is everything before our time. But history to the medieval times is anything that happened before those times. Just because Medieval times are historical to us doesn't mean they were when they were actually happening.

So yes...Archaeology was around, and I feel really sorry for you if you really thought it wasn't.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Runescape is NOT set in a specific time period. You should know that.

And of COURSE they had it in ages like the medieval ages, if that's what you're asking. You think that history just started in the last 100 years? History to us is everything before our time. But history to the medieval times is anything that happened before those times. Just because Medieval times are historical to us doesn't mean they were when they were actually happening.

So yes...Archaeology was around, and I feel really sorry for you if you really thought it wasn't.

He was asking a question, how else do you learn? Yet you treat him like a moron for not knowing. A pre-school teacher does not go "WHAT, you don't know how to do 1+1?!?!?" to a pre-schooler.

No matter how simple the question is, pay some respect next time.

Shadow.

You are awesome for putting "~Shadow" in your signature and not at the bottom of your posts

~Shadow

suport! i have even already added a support banner in my sig!

Proud Ubuntu User!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Scott Adams

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.-Emo Phillips

My Blog!

TyrantElf.png

TyrantElf.png

Great idea =D>

Now... make some fakes please. :D

Pasty.png

Great idea =D>

Now... make some fakes please. :D

There's already plenty of visual aid in the guide as it is. lol.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Wow! 110% Support!

Who cares about Sailing? Archaeology ftw!

Couldn't an alternate method of obtaining a Bone Trowel be to do a quest for a Dorgeshuun Goblin, considering they use bones alot?

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Wow this skill looks much better except the rewards fro mthat one tab.

Wy too overpowered.

Can you be more clear? What tab are you talking about? The SES's? If so, they aren't overpowered. Hate to be that person who just goes the opposite way of what you say, but if you had read the notes and the posts within the thread you would have gathered enough information to know that Giant and Large rock samples from the KQ SES are rare even at level 99, and therefore the chances of even getting something like a Dragon 2h Sword are 1/1,000...which if you think about it, 1,000 KQ SES rock samples would take FOREVER to get. IT only respawns once every hour, and chances are you can only survive maybe doing 2 rock samples in one trip, since you've got the KQ on your back constantly.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Hi

I love your idea for the Archeology skill i think it well thought out and well presented .

I support 100%

I have a few ideas u can consider if u want to i always liked the idea that a new skill must benefit existing skills.

So here are my ideas let the Archeology skill benefit or benefit from existing skills.

1: Firemaking: say there are some Archaeological sites u need to make a fire on the hard rock that hides the Archaeological sites beneath it to be able to make the rock brittle enough to get to the fossils beneath ( maybe different rocks need different logs to make them brittle )

2: Mining: basically the same as firmaking only u need a pickaxe to mine threw rock or hard ground to get to the fossils beneath ( same as firemaking only need different pickaxes for different rocks )

3: Agility: needed to get to difficult to reach Archaeological sites ( the higher the agility needed to get there the better the rewards )

4: Summoning: maybe u can summon a ancient mummy that give extra Archeology skill xp and is scroll/special give u a better chance of getting rare fossils

5: prayer and or thieving : needed to get in to ancient lost and or forgotten tombs ( the higher the prayer and or thieving needed to get there the better the rewards )

6: construction: needed to build the tents for Private Digsites ( different construction level for each tent )

smithing and crafting u all ready used

thats it so far from me if i get more ideas i post them if u want more.

I really hope thy make this into a skill and not sailing i don't see the point in sailing but there is lots of potential in a archeology skill.

Very well thought out and written - it's obvious that you've spent a lot of time on this!

I support this idea 100%!

But I still have one question: Would the artifacts for the skill related treasure such as the handle shards be stackable items or not?

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

Magib1.png

Very well thought out and written - it's obvious that you've spent a lot of time on this!

I support this idea 100%!

But I still have one question: Would the artifacts for the skill related treasure such as the handle shards be stackable items or not?

Yes...item shards would indeed be stackable.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Just wanted to show my support. I love this idea. There are maybe 2 things in there that I find a little off, but you can't please everyone either. If this was implemented, I'm sure it would be a success! There literally is something in there for everyone.

100% Support!!!