Runescape update: May include Mechscape?

Darkluniux

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too thought they changed the p2p management page up for mechscape.

As you notice, they changed the whole theme of the page, yes its the same color scheme, but its not the same theme.

This makes no sense to change the whole looks of it if they only have one game, Now lets say they have 2 games which has p2p. That would be more logical to have since you can't have the theme be for 1 game, yet have the management be for 2 games.

For the person who was saying "Why would you buy membership for mechscape on runescape.com". I think they changed the layout and template early. I think once mechscape is release, They will have a link from runescape.com and mechscape.com leading to the same membership page at jagex.com. I just think they changed it up early since they needed to do maintenance on the membership page anyhow, might as well change it now.

sig.jpg

what you just posted is not proof of anything at all, where on there does it say anything about mechscape? and how does that look futuristic? I have no doubt that they will release some kind of game called Mechscape (whether it be an MMo or not), but this is not proof of that at all.

also there was no need to make a thread on this.

Its a blank space on a billing page and you make a thread? Not that big of proof and imo the big updat concerns Runescape. not Mechscape.

Costantino.png

The space was to make the window square because of extended text on the left hand column. The reason they changed it like that was because that was the only way they could fit everything in the same place at once. The 'medieval scroll' theme took up just a little too much space, so they re-did it completely. Also, the use of a large Jagex logo is representative of where your payment is going. The billing was relating to Jagex.com, not Runescape.com, because the money actually going into Runescape is second-hand (Money goes to Jagex, who in turn uses most of that money for Runescape).

Anyway, how exactly is it 'futuristic'?

Oh, and my opinion on Mechscape? It's a bad idea. Jagex is moving too fast, they aren't quite big enough to take one Blizzard Entertainment and other multi-MMO owning companies.

I hope they store the idea (Let's face it, it's a good idea, but not yet), but keep the focus on Runescape for about 5 more years. Jagex can still maintain a decent growth rate on RS.

And besides, my biggest worry is if Mechscape ends up only mostly attracting Runescape players. Jagex will gain absolutely no additional revenue (infact a lost because of the cost of programming), and Runescape will end up shrinking from lost players.

Oh, and the worst thing they can do? Make the infamous 'new year' update Mechscape. That will cause the situation above.

They must keep both games separate. Okay, perhaps a largish link on the main page to Jagex.com, which in turn has large links to both games?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Actually, that extra space is just there because of the extra typing it had to have for F2P members.

aV1YEJer.jpg

Unless they just recently changed it?

~Rcty

This pretty much confirms that the proof posted in the first post is simply incorrect and caused by the left content which stretches the left content which holds the "x days remaining"

It was a coincidence that you had this.

I have no doubts as to your evidence contrary to the first post. But it does seem odd that Runescape should be listed at the right. It seems that this should be followed by a list of other games/services.

And have you noticed that for the first time on the Runescape website, content is being fed from Jagex.com, check the frame info in the new billing area.

Seminiferous Tubule.

Would you prefer if they had just stretched that image and distorted it vertically? I guess you're right though. It's either what I mentioned, or that they choose to not stretch it twice its height so they'll have room for another image they'll add in a month, which is obviously mechscape. Detective work is really your calling.

What's there to prove? We all know Mechscape is coming out...

Yes, it is quite clear that a majority of the RuneScape population believes MechScape is coming out, however, we can't stop there! Players are going to great lengths and speculations just to find out the tiniest detail about it.

This particular topic was about a billing option for MechScape - such as will it be F2P and P2P.

~Rcty

Rcty

what you just posted is not proof of anything at all, where on there does it say anything about mechscape? and how does that look futuristic? I have no doubt that they will release some kind of game called Mechscape (whether it be an MMo or not), but this is not proof of that at all.

also there was no need to make a thread on this.

Im with Wakka on that one. Where does it say anything about that?

Shots-Sig.jpg

Now lets think if it DOES come out. Will Tip.it support it? I hope not. I hope that Tip.it is a RS fan-site and not a Jagex fan-site, but only time will tell.

I hope that it will just stay for RS though.

On topic: More speculation :notalk:

Why shouldn't Tip.it host another MMO fan site? They already host LOTRO which isn't a Jagex product. Ultimately it comes down to people wanting to run it, and whether some of the Tip.it owners are interested in the new game.

On topic: 'Proof' would be RuneScape 0 days, MechScape 0 days. This is entirely speculation which may or may not pan out. My guess, is that the 2 new games would (if on a subscription basis) utilise the same underlying billing system (why duplicate it?), but would probably just have colours and graphics changed out. I'm sure the billing system update was purely to provide flexibility for next year.

And I'm also sure that the announced big update is RuneScape related, otherwise they will get a huge backlash about the expectation they are setting up.

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

the link to this is-mechscape.googlepages.com

[hide=MechScape-note a lot of info.]MechScape Central

MechScape Central is the first fansite for Jagex's second MMORPG (est. 23 October 2007)

What is MechScape?

MechScape is Jagex's upcoming Java-based sci-fi MMORPG. It seems that development began in earnest in 2005 (around the same time that Jagex secured investment from venture capitalist Insight Venture Partners).

MechScape Central is now Mechscape World. Visit MechScape World for the latest information, news and chat.

Where can I discuss MechScape?

Chat about it at our Gower Archive Community, the MechScape World forums or by e-mailing us.

Note: You are allowed to discuss MechScape on Jagex's official RuneScape forum, but only if you keep it to QF 23-24-359-53196268 and don't link to, direct people or name any MechScape-related websites.

Where's the proof?

It is pretty definite that Jagex are working on a sci-fi/space MMORPG, and highly probably that it is called MechScape. Their recruitment material indicates that it will be made in Java as they are recruiting people to create low-polygon models "for environments, objects, vehicles, characters and special effects" (source).

The evidence:

1. Jagex has registered a trademark for "MechScape" (source) - the US entry places it in a category for "Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game; and providing on-line multi-user computer games via local computer networks, global computer networks and the Internet".

2. Thomas Woode's CV and Concept Art ("I have more recently moved to the role of Lead concepter for a exciting new MMORPG title currently in development ... Producing designs and plans for all in game vehicles (a few hundred").

3. John Seru's CV ("Lead modeller, for an online space mmorpg").

4. This discussion thread at MiniClip.

5. This discussion thread on the RuneScape boards ("Iv heard from a source. Jagex are making a futuristic version of rs").

6. In some of their jobvacancies they say they want someone with a "general sci-fi interest" and ask prospective content developers to provide a story with a sci-fi theme. One role is "to build creatures, shape virtual worlds, design quests and storylines for our new, undisclosed game".

7. The following domain names are registered to Jagex Ltd (verify with DomainTools):

mechscape2.com (2005-08-24)

mechscape.biz (2005-08-26)

mechscapecoin.com (2006-05-15)

mechscape.com (2003-12-15)

mechscape.es (2006-07-12)

mechscape.biz (2005-08-24)

mechscape.co.uk (2003-12-16)

mechscape[LikelyScam] (2006-10-04)

mechscape.info (2005-08-24)

mechscape.mobi (2006-09-26)

mechscape.net (2003-12-16)

mechscape.org (2003-12-16)

mechscapecommunity.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapecredit.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapegold.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapeguide.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapehq.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapeinfinite.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapemillions.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapemoderators.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapeproject.com (2006-05-15)

mechscaper.com (2006-05-15)

mechscaperealm.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapeshopping.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapetrades.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapetrading.com (2006-05-15)

mechscape.us (2005-08-24)

mechhq.com (2006-05-15)

What will it look like?

Thomas Woode, who is the lead concept artist for Jagex's new MMORPG, released many concept images. Following are some concept images with Jagex copyright on them (click for full-size):

Also interesting are the troopers from a concept study into low-polygon characters using a re-usable mesh (wouldn't such a thing be very useful on a futuristic Java-based MMORPG?):

Check out Thomas Woode's Concept Art page and the rest of his site for some more stuff, such as cool droids.

John Sim is a former Web Designer & Producer at Jagex, and showcased a functional prototype he made for the RuneScape site. Interesting is the mention of "SpaceCombat" and the following advertisement which could be for MechScape (or the "Force Fighter" mentioned on the mock-up):

Will MechScape be set in the RuneScape universe?

So far there is no indication one way or the other. While on the one hand the Gielinor Tribune theorises how it might work being set in the Gielinor-verse's distant future, it would also be a good opportunity for Jagex to come up with a whole new mythology.

How long has MechScape been in development?

The fact that some of the domains were registered as far back as 2003 indicates that they came up with the name a long time ago. However, the farthest back that MechScape Central has been able to find documented evidence of actual development is April 2005, which is when John Seru became Assistant Concept Artist and Lead Modeller on the project.

Andrew Gower, creator of RuneScape, has long been a fan of Science Fiction and Sci-fi/Fantasy. On his old website he listed reading sci-fi books as a hobby (source), and in his 1996 Worms clone for the Atari ST Battle Zone had the teams "Discworld", "Star Trek", "Doctor Who", "Babylon 5" and "Hitchhikers [guide to the Galaxy]". It is therefore possible that he has long been planning a futuristic MMORPG.

Is there any sort of beta I can sign up to?

No - Jagex haven't even publicly announced it yet. Be *very* wary of any website which claims to be a beta sign-up, as it'll most likely be a scam to get your RuneScape account details.

What about the Trademark for FunOrb?

This thread seems to pretty convincingly put forward the case that FunOrb is the name of the new Jagex arcade, which should have some spruced up old multi-player Jagex games on it.

Objection! MechScape isn't their second MMORPG...

You are entitled to your oppinion, but I personally see RuneScape and RuneScape Classic as newer versions of DeviousMUD, and MechScape as their first completely new MMORPG. You can discuss this and other issues on the Gower Archive Community forums.

Know of any good Anime podcasts?

As a matter of fact, there is the UK-based Marvelaid Gaming & Anime Community Podcast ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created by Ren of The Unofficial Andrew Gower Archive - MechScape is a registered trademark of Jagex Ltd

This website is completely unofficial and is in no way affiliated with Jagex Limited.

[/hide]

~Mithruler1~

bf795a1a72.png

MSSW4TI.png

MSSW4Banner.gif

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

CLICK! CLICK!

the link to this is-mechscape.googlepages.com

[hide=MechScape-note a lot of info.]MechScape Central

MechScape Central is the first fansite for Jagex's second MMORPG (est. 23 October 2007)

What is MechScape?

MechScape is Jagex's upcoming Java-based sci-fi MMORPG. It seems that development began in earnest in 2005 (around the same time that Jagex secured investment from venture capitalist Insight Venture Partners).

MechScape Central is now Mechscape World. Visit MechScape World for the latest information, news and chat.

Where can I discuss MechScape?

Chat about it at our Gower Archive Community, the MechScape World forums or by e-mailing us.

Note: You are allowed to discuss MechScape on Jagex's official RuneScape forum, but only if you keep it to QF 23-24-359-53196268 and don't link to, direct people or name any MechScape-related websites.

Where's the proof?

It is pretty definite that Jagex are working on a sci-fi/space MMORPG, and highly probably that it is called MechScape. Their recruitment material indicates that it will be made in Java as they are recruiting people to create low-polygon models "for environments, objects, vehicles, characters and special effects" (source).

The evidence:

1. Jagex has registered a trademark for "MechScape" (source) - the US entry places it in a category for "Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game; and providing on-line multi-user computer games via local computer networks, global computer networks and the Internet".

2. Thomas Woode's CV and Concept Art ("I have more recently moved to the role of Lead concepter for a exciting new MMORPG title currently in development ... Producing designs and plans for all in game vehicles (a few hundred").

3. John Seru's CV ("Lead modeller, for an online space mmorpg").

4. This discussion thread at MiniClip.

5. This discussion thread on the RuneScape boards ("Iv heard from a source. Jagex are making a futuristic version of rs").

6. In some of their jobvacancies they say they want someone with a "general sci-fi interest" and ask prospective content developers to provide a story with a sci-fi theme. One role is "to build creatures, shape virtual worlds, design quests and storylines for our new, undisclosed game".

7. The following domain names are registered to Jagex Ltd (verify with DomainTools):

mechscape2.com (2005-08-24)

mechscape.biz (2005-08-26)

mechscapecoin.com (2006-05-15)

mechscape.com (2003-12-15)

mechscape.es (2006-07-12)

mechscape.biz (2005-08-24)

mechscape.co.uk (2003-12-16)

mechscape[LikelyScam] (2006-10-04)

mechscape.mobi (2006-09-26)

mechscape.net (2003-12-16)

mechscape.org (2003-12-16)

mechscapecommunity.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapecredit.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapegold.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapeguide.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapehq.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapeinfinite.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapemillions.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapemoderators.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapeproject.com (2006-05-15)

mechscaper.com (2006-05-15)

mechscaperealm.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapeshopping.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapetrades.com (2006-05-15)

mechscapetrading.com (2006-05-15)

mechscape.us (2005-08-24)

mechhq.com (2006-05-15)

What will it look like?

Thomas Woode, who is the lead concept artist for Jagex's new MMORPG, released many concept images. Following are some concept images with Jagex copyright on them (click for full-size):

Also interesting are the troopers from a concept study into low-polygon characters using a re-usable mesh (wouldn't such a thing be very useful on a futuristic Java-based MMORPG?):

Check out Thomas Woode's Concept Art page and the rest of his site for some more stuff, such as cool droids.

John Sim is a former Web Designer & Producer at Jagex, and showcased a functional prototype he made for the RuneScape site. Interesting is the mention of "SpaceCombat" and the following advertisement which could be for MechScape (or the "Force Fighter" mentioned on the mock-up):

Will MechScape be set in the RuneScape universe?

So far there is no indication one way or the other. While on the one hand the Gielinor Tribune theorises how it might work being set in the Gielinor-verse's distant future, it would also be a good opportunity for Jagex to come up with a whole new mythology.

How long has MechScape been in development?

The fact that some of the domains were registered as far back as 2003 indicates that they came up with the name a long time ago. However, the farthest back that MechScape Central has been able to find documented evidence of actual development is April 2005, which is when John Seru became Assistant Concept Artist and Lead Modeller on the project.

Andrew Gower, creator of RuneScape, has long been a fan of Science Fiction and Sci-fi/Fantasy. On his old website he listed reading sci-fi books as a hobby (source), and in his 1996 Worms clone for the Atari ST Battle Zone had the teams "Discworld", "Star Trek", "Doctor Who", "Babylon 5" and "Hitchhikers [guide to the Galaxy]". It is therefore possible that he has long been planning a futuristic MMORPG.

Is there any sort of beta I can sign up to?

No - Jagex haven't even publicly announced it yet. Be *very* wary of any website which claims to be a beta sign-up, as it'll most likely be a scam to get your RuneScape account details.

What about the Trademark for FunOrb?

This thread seems to pretty convincingly put forward the case that FunOrb is the name of the new Jagex arcade, which should have some spruced up old multi-player Jagex games on it.

Objection! MechScape isn't their second MMORPG...

You are entitled to your oppinion, but I personally see RuneScape and RuneScape Classic as newer versions of DeviousMUD, and MechScape as their first completely new MMORPG. You can discuss this and other issues on the Gower Archive Community forums.

Know of any good Anime podcasts?

As a matter of fact, there is the UK-based Marvelaid Gaming & Anime Community Podcast ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created by Ren of The Unofficial Andrew Gower Archive - MechScape is a registered trademark of Jagex Ltd

This website is completely unofficial and is in no way affiliated with Jagex Limited.

[/hide]

>_>

Most people already have seen this information.

icecube7.jpeg

It says membership Then has a box with RUNESCAPE in it, now why would they need a box to say how many runescape membership days you have if runescape is the only membership they plan on having in the near future..

The fact that the box states runescape to me suggests another game.

If, or when, this Mechscape is released I believe it would call the end of Runescape. Runescape's community is weak enough as it is. To have the community split into two games would be disastrous for Runescape.

Over a Million Members is weak? o.o

If MechScape did have an update in it's progress in anyway, surely it'd be somewhere else. not on RuneScape. :P

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08

That new account management page is almost the same design from Jagex's Corporate site. I'm sure they used some of it to make that page. But it does still show some valid points, especially the area below the "days remaining".

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Well like someone else, the entire thing is pure speculation. There's no actual evidence. Jagex is changing a lot of their out-of-game features because of scams. Players are fooled by emails and things that offer free stuff, and they are told to go to a link that supposed to be runescape.com. really, its an imitation site that looks exactly like a login page (not the rs game login) and when you get fooled into thinking its the real runescape page, you log in and get hacked.

Jagex first prevented this by changing the forums login so it had a moving image rather than a regular login, thus making it harder for hackers to imitate it. Now, theyre changing everything to make it even harder for hackers to keep up. Besides, they said the changes were "essential maintenence", not optional.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.