Today...

Leoo

After a ~24 hour trip i am finally back in the US. Time to finish up my studies here so i can head back home again. Aiming to be done end of April at latest.

Oh and someone on my flight today had a heart attack :\

She was alright though, was just a minor one.

Had a job interview this morning, hope I went well and I get the job.

One thing I've noticed, majority of famous vbloggers on youtube like jacksgap etc, ALL come from rich families. Makes me wonder, is there anyone who became YT famous NOT because of the wealth of their parents to give them a boost.

The Vlog brothers were essentially nobody before YT, but I can't speak for their financial situation prior.

Jenna Marbles was likely loaded.

Shane Dawson was of moderate wealth, nothing super fancy. Built his empire from scratch.

Watsky (gWatsky) was of upper middle wealth, but likely self built.

SwiftKarateChop had next to nothing starting out, or atleast that's what you can assume by his early videos.

OAG had nothing to start with, just a random girl making fun of Bieber.

I can't remember the special effects guy that's everywhere, but he had funding to help him, certainly not only his parents.

Couldn't tell you about Joseph Birdsong. I doubt he got his parent's help.

And now you all know my strong ties to the world of vloggers. Blame the females I hang around.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I really wanted to get another section of my story done before break was over, but now I really have only one day left to write and I have too much to write in one day waah!

I'm sad now.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Had a job interview this morning, hope I went well and I get the job.

One thing I've noticed, majority of famous vbloggers on youtube like jacksgap etc, ALL come from rich families. Makes me wonder, is there anyone who became YT famous NOT because of the wealth of their parents to give them a boost.

The Vlog brothers were essentially nobody before YT, but I can't speak for their financial situation prior.

Jenna Marbles was likely loaded.

Shane Dawson was of moderate wealth, nothing super fancy. Built his empire from scratch.

Watsky (gWatsky) was of upper middle wealth, but likely self built.

SwiftKarateChop had next to nothing starting out, or atleast that's what you can assume by his early videos.

OAG had nothing to start with, just a random girl making fun of Bieber.

I can't remember the special effects guy that's everywhere, but he had funding to help him, certainly not only his parents.

Couldn't tell you about Joseph Birdsong. I doubt he got his parent's help.

And now you all know my strong ties to the world of vloggers. Blame the females I hang around.

Common vbloggers like Jacksgap, Casparlee, marcusbutler etc. those group of specific vbloggers come from quite rich families, or had the money/resources to begin with. If I tried, I can't afford a new PC, a camera, a decent mic etc without taking months to amass.

Popoto.~<3

Do we know if they actually came from rich families, or worked other jobs so they could afford to start their projects up? It's just most people I've seen on YT tend to be in their mid-20s, so it does make you wonder what they did from 18 to 25.

Bah gained some weight over the break... Conditioning for tennis starts probably next week + I'll cut back and diet and hopefully shave 20 pounds in a month and a half.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I get asked a lot about camera setups, and one of the most common misconceptions I hear is that people believe it'll cost you $1000s to get started, which it doesn't. All a person basically needs is a camera that shoots 720p and a dedicated audio recorder, which depending on what your doing can be a very simple device such as the Zoom h1.

tFtfA.jpg

Used some of my Xmas money today to buy myself a decent gaming headset so i decided to go with Turtle Beach x32's since Turtle Beach seems to be a popular choice. I think they look kinda nice :D

Only downside is i was hoping to be able to use them for PC gaming too, but i need to buy a "PC Chat Adapter Cable" first :|

Already ordered it, so i guess ill get it some time next week.

How much do you really need for vlogging? A good mic and camera, thats it? You don't need a fancy PC to edit and render basic raw film. Unless I'm underestimating what they do, they just sit and talk right? Occasionally go out and film something? Doesn't take much to do that.

Except that special effects guy RPG mention. Is he that asian guy? If so, yeah, he does need a fancy PC to do all those effects. Then it depends if he borrows or buys those editing programs...average joes can't buy that software without funding or being a really determined producer.

At first I thought you (Tim) were drawing a correlation between rich vloggers and their popularity with YouTube. Which would make sense, paying YouTube to highlight your films and sponsor it. But then we started talking about equipment... :oops:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The rough setup I mentioned could be found for around $200, which isn't going to break your bank, and is something a person should be able to save up over a small period of time without the financial backing of anyones relatives.

tFtfA.jpg

@decebal: Very true, which is exactly why vlogs should be avoided at all costs. Most of the ones I've seen say in several minutes what could be said in a sentence such as this one.

• Like 1

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

@decebal: Very true, which is exactly why vlogs should be avoided at all costs. Most of the ones I've seen say in several minutes what could be said in a sentence such as this one.

It's infuriating to watch/listen, but do vlogs really need to be as concise as, say, a written essay? After all, they're meant to be an exploration of some aspect of their lives. Explorations should start open-ended and slowly become more focused.

If they're being narrative in the vlog, then obviously the opposite is true.

@decebal: Very true, which is exactly why vlogs should be avoided at all costs.

Agreed. I can't see how people can watch so many vlogs (especially those Lets Plays). Not to mention, the vloggers always have some sort of cult following them...it's kinda annoying. It's a terrible snowball effect too: young people see these "famous" vloggers and make their own. Soon, YouTube is filled with vlogs, most of them crap due to the young's inexperience.

I'll leave it at that because I can go on and on about the current state of online videos. Such a post should go to the Things that Annoy you Thread.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Moved back home. Tomorrow is going to a be lot of unpacking and cleaning, since in the state I left my room (that is, no cleaning at all during exams followed by tearing my room apart while packing for home) I think a grenade or two might be an improvement. It is nice to be home though.

Yesterday we took the car to another province to get it serviced (we took it back to it's dealer, better customer service). 3 hours up, 3 hours back, and 3 hours there. Was a long day, but it's also nice to get a day with Mom. After shopping today though, when we got home my right leg was getting sore/stiff, especially in the knee. I've never driven that much before, even if much of it was cruise control. Car got a clean bill of health, and they fixed the drivers side door handle which was apparently stiff because it was leaking it's lubricant. works much better now. That car also gets fantastically ridiculous fuel economy on the highway. It's about 540km round trip, it normally refuels at 600. It wasn't particularly in need of gas after that trip though, maybe a third in each direction, which would give it something like an extra 150km range by going only on the highway. Cities suck :razz:

Bah gained some weight over the break... Conditioning for tennis starts probably next week + I'll cut back and diet and hopefully shave 20 pounds in a month and a half.

For once I actually lost weight over the break, mostly because I was sick the last few days. Still need to drop about 15lbs and put on some muscle though.

Do we know if they actually came from rich families, or worked other jobs so they could afford to start their projects up? It's just most people I've seen on YT tend to be in their mid-20s, so it does make you wonder what they did from 18 to 25.

It really isn't too hard to afford a webcam and a decent laptop. Together that's only like $800. When you're 18 and have a fairly steady job, that only takes a month or so to accumulate if you budget correctly. We'll be fair and assume most of them don't pay for rent/food/insurance.

And I suppose I wasn't held at gunpoint, but the only youtube series I really follow are "The Guild" "Battlefield Friends" and "Easycore". My brother tried to get me into this highschool based on professional gaming series, but I couldn't get into it enough to check on it. The first season of "Dick Figures" was really good, but they got too meme heavy.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Woke up this morning and noticed it was nice and toasty in my house. I thought that was pretty weird since I always turn my heater off before I go to bed. Walked over to the switch and noticed that I had indeed turned the heater off.

It was a burner on the kitchen stove I had left on overnight... on High.

Oops. :<

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Today I discovered this thanks to Tumblr:

http://pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

Warning: There's some coarse language, but on the other hand it's a great look into Pompeii culture and how the people then weren't so different after all.

This in particular cracked me up:

II.2.1 (Bar of Astylus and Pardalus); 8408: Lovers are like bees in that they live a honeyed life

II.2.3 (Bar of Athictus; right of the door); 8442: I screwed the barmaid

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

I am quite certain that it is true as well, read about it in numerous written sources aswell. And usually I take written sources for absolute truth.

On another note, got back from Germany yesterday at night-time and already I am missing their beer and the awesome company I had there... The fact that I was treated as a king there doesn't help either...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Yesterday I got a call from my recruiter and it looks like on Wednesday (Leaving Tuesday Morning and being bused) I will go to MEPS and swear into the Air Force. The two career fields I am aiming at are Cyber Transport Systems(3D1X2) or Cyber Defense Operations(1B4X1). I will probably ship out April or May.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]