Reveal Confessions, Secrets & Regrets...

Leoo

I should clarify. I didn't say I didn't care about other people. I said I didn't care much about other people. The much was important. That is to say that I do have some semblance of a desire to make my interpersonal relationships pleasant, but I have never had any regrets when things have gone wrong. To me they're just experiences which are just as valuable as any other experiences. That said, I've never cried at a funeral. I used to hate myself for being so unfeeling, but I've come to accept it. As for personal enjoyment; what I meant by that was more simple pleasure seeking than anything.

And as for wanting to understand the true nature of the universe - that was metaphorical. But I don't think it is out of man's reach. Maybe it won't be revealed in my lifetime, maybe it seems impossible now, but then again even 100 years ago computers might have seemed impossible. The attitude that "God works in mysterious ways and is unknowable" kind of pisses me off, frankly. Does God really think we humans lack the imagination to have even the slightest semblance of understanding about him? What could he possibly be that is so unknowable? Is he an extra-dimensional being? Is he the universe itself? Is he (literally) the good in all of us? Is he the manifestation of consciousness itself? I don't think any of those things are totally incomprehensible.

While we're asking questions about God, I might as well ask the big one that weighs on the minds of many today: Why has God chosen to fade into relative obscurity for the last 2000 years? Why would he let all of the stories of his greatness become mere legend? I have never heard a satisfying answer to that question. It's always "he's testing us" or other [cabbage] like that.

The simple, short story is that there is 0 empirical evidence of an existing deity. There's no reason to believe in a deity, it's usually just that people were brought up that way or were exposed to it later.

There is very little evidence speculating one way or the other to be honest. So there is no reason to believe any current theory of how the universe came into existence either. Don't tell me otherwise unless you have SOLID 100% proof that you can show to me. If you are going to tell me that the universe just exploded, show me the damn video recording of it.

The simple, short story is that there is 0 empirical evidence of an existing deity. There's no reason to believe in a deity, it's usually just that people were brought up that way or were exposed to it later.

There is very little evidence speculating one way or the other to be honest. So there is no reason to believe any current theory of how the universe came into existence either. Don't tell me otherwise unless you have SOLID 100% proof that you can show to me. If you are going to tell me that the universe just exploded, show me the damn video recording of it.

I'm not saying the big bang theory (note the theory part, theory is defined as a well explained and supported idea) is correct, but I am saying there is no empirical evidence that any deity exists and therefore there is no reason to believe in one.

PM me for fitocracy invite

I'm not saying the big bang theory (note the theory part, theory is defined as a well explained and supported idea) is correct, but I am saying there is no empirical evidence that any deity exists and therefore there is no reason to believe in one.

You cannot claim that, Nom. I know of many reasons to believe in one. This isn't the 'does God exist?' thread, though. We'll get nowhere. Requirement of empirical evidence is just this mindset of modernity and how human beings have to understand everything. And that's just what it is: a mindset.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

And yet another thread degenerates into "Does God exist?".

If anyone feels the need to rehash that pointless(in this context) debate, please make a new topic rather than arguing about it here.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

And as for wanting to understand the true nature of the universe - that was metaphorical. But I don't think it is out of man's reach. Maybe it won't be revealed in my lifetime, maybe it seems impossible now, but then again even 100 years ago computers might have seemed impossible. The attitude that "God works in mysterious ways and is unknowable" kind of pisses me off, frankly. Does God really think we humans lack the imagination to have even the slightest semblance of understanding about him? What could he possibly be that is so unknowable? Is he an extra-dimensional being? Is he the universe itself? Is he (literally) the good in all of us? Is he the manifestation of consciousness itself? I don't think any of those things are totally incomprehensible.

Define for me ultimate perfection, love, justice. Socrates spent years trying to define justice. Yah, we can understand a part of it, but trying to fully define it (key word is fully); good luck with that. Putting a definition to God is like putting a fool proof, absolutely correct definition on love, perfection, justice. And those things we cannot fully comprehend.

EDIT: Sorry, Ob. Shutting up now.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Sorry, I didn't mean to start an argument, I just felt the need to tell someone about the way I'm feeling. These things are really hard to tell to your parents and other people you love when most/all of them believe 100% in God and I would rather not have them be disappointed in me if I can help it.

And for the record I don't mean we will ever fully understand everything, but as of yet we don't even have a loose definition for what God actually is if he in fact does exist in some form, nor for many a phenomenon in the world and universe.

Don't force yourself to believe in God because others around you believe, man. Like you said, if something goes wrong between you and your parents, it'll be something to learn from.

If you find it too much of a hassle believing in God (or you just find you can't), there's nothing stopping you from living a good and happy life anyway. Trying to enjoy yourself and the others around you as much as possible.

Most people get held up in all this believing and non-believing. I suggest not doing so; focus on being a 'good' human being, no matter if it's for yourself or because you religion strongly suggests it. I think you'll be happier. Of course, some people (like me) find having God in our lives as a fantastic addition.

:thumbup:

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Most people get held up in all this believing and non-believing. I suggest not doing so; focus on being a 'good' human being, no matter if it's for yourself or because you religion strongly suggests it. I think you'll be happier. Of course, some people (like me) find having God in our lives as a fantastic addition.

You give me hope for humanity.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Don't fool yourself.

funny-facebook-fails-weep-for-the-future.jpg

Don't get too excited.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Wow, I'm sure I could get at least 40/50, and I'm Canadian.

Actually, I'm going to try, no cheating.

50states.png

I think I got at least 45.

EDIT: I missed Missouri, Vermont and Indiana. I had Kansas where Missouri should be, and Deleware where Vermont should have been (Probably the worst mistake).

A lot of people are confused by Wyoming and Colorado. Personally I think it's easy because absolutely nobody cares about Wyoming.

I made a joke about Wyoming today, coincidentally. I'd explain it but I'm lazy. Basically the joke was that no one cares about it though.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

@Spork: Good try. You labeled Missouri "Kansas" and left the actual Kansas blank. You left Indiana blank. You labeled Vermont "Delaware" and left the actual Delaware blank. You also spelled Wisconsin wrong.

Indiana was pissing me off, I knew it started with I, but I couldn't quite remember it.

I'm a master at geography. I must of known all the states and their locations early in Elementary School. Guess who aced all his US geography tests in the fifth grade. :twss:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

@ Duff general knowledge is a good thing. It means you can speak much more effectively with others because you understand more events and phrases. It also means you can make connections and ideas much better, and you can convey directions/geography with better accuracy. It also means you know what people are talking about when they talk about relative locations of states in conversation.

And it makes you look good at parties/trivia games/crosswords.

Confession: I love crosswords. Real ones, like the New York Times and Boston Globe. I can't quite do Sunday yet, but I can do Monday-Thursday in under an hour and Friday-Saturday in under an hour and a half.

Secret: I used to read (and still do on occasion... :L) Uncle John's Bathroom Readers. I have basically memorized at least 2-3 of these books (I can turn to any page and immediately recall the content from the title). Trivia is just so [bleep]ing interesting, you feel me?

PM me for fitocracy invite

I notice a trend with people who don't know their local geography give their addresses as directions. :rolleyes:

One thing I absolutely hate, is when people give me directions to their houses/party/place. Give me an address and I can find it by the time you're not even half-way done talking.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

@ Duff general knowledge is a good thing. It means you can speak much more effectively with others because you understand more events and phrases. It also means you can make connections and ideas much better, and you can convey directions/geography with better accuracy. It also means you know what people are talking about when they talk about relative locations of states in conversation.

Strictly speaking of knowledge of where states are in the United States off the top of your head, I find it pretty useless. Aside from trivia games (which aren't super popular at this age, I'd think), I'd never need to know something like that. If I'm planning a trip, I'd need a more detailed map that will display states to me; I won't need to have them memorized. As for making connections and ideas much better, I don't need to know where the states are to do so. And I don't get in many conversations where I have to know exactly how many states away they're traveling to get the point that they're going far away.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |