How Much is Your Account Worth to You?

HugeBrain

I wouldn't mind a Zammy Halo/Steads, they can be my friend any day. :)

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

people saying they think their accounts are worth like 1000$ because of how much time they put in are delusional.

You are not 'working' you are playing a game, if someone was serious I am sure they could get most of your stats in a few months from botting 24/7.

I doubt even max cape accounts would be worth that much (who would buy it...).

The topic was not about how much people would be willing to pay for your account, but how much would you be willing to sell it for. I don't think many who have posted here think anyone would pay 1,000$ even for a maxed account. However, I wouldn't sell my account even for 1,000$, and I'm not even maxed. I value the time I put into my account, the memories and good time I've had playing way more than the money. I could earn that 1,000$ in two weeks on normal pay. I've played over 130 days on this account, in over time period of 10 years. Money isn't really everything. It comes and goes. Realistically I could expect my account to be worth about 500$. Mostly because my bank is at around ~700m gp. Not a price I would trade my account any day.

So for me I might seriously consider giving up my account and starting a new one for lets say few thousand. However, I'm actually glad nobody would be paying such amounts.

u5zhkTY.gif

Hmmm I would say I would sell it relatively few money. I've never particularly cared for levels and starting anew would mean I could replay all those great quests :P I would just need some time beforehand, to log onto my old account and tell my friends what my new account is. I'd say for 300 upwards I'd be willing to sell. (But I guess you have to consider I've recently quit/taken an extended break which I might not be coming back from so I guess that plays into it too.)

Although the thread is based on how much you would be willing to sell your account for, the realistic number is interesting.

Accounts are often valued less then what people would be willing to part with them due to bots. The thread reviver made a post of the amount of time put into this game in order to get where they are at, and the value came out to somewhere around 20 grand. However, that's like putting money into the stock market and stating you should get paid $5/hour for every $10/hour you put into it.

A friend of mine who is the producer of many premium scripts for a certain botting site got in a argument with me about this over a year ago, and originally, I agreed with most of the people here (That you put so much time into your account that any offer would be extremely undervalued). He then proceeded to inform me that he could make a $500 account and sell it within 6 months. The only accounts going for that amount on a particular site were around 2100 skill total. Even with bots, I didn't think it was possible. Surely bot downtime, a possible ban, etc, would keep him from doing this. I was wrong. The guy was able to produce a better account then mine, which has 10 years worth of progress, in just under 6 months.

I then proceeded to ask him why everyone doesn't do that. And his response was gold farming. He doesn't do it himself, but apparently some of these server farms are able to generate thousands of dollars per day.

All of this blows my mind. Apparently there was a specific example that was generating $400/day profit and the user had even automated the alert system. The guy basically does the job of a person working in IT and would make 146k a year...

So given all this information, I was able to understand why it is that people bot.

w4M8t.png

It wasn't 10 years of progress. It was ten years you spent on the entire game. You didn't train all your skills constantly over the course of 10 years, like he did in the following 5 months (assuming 1 month to sell). Comparing them doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

However, that's like putting money into the stock market and stating you should get paid $5/hour for every $10/hour you put into it.

I believe the $5 discount is accredited to AFK or the fact that this is a game, i.e. not RL labor/work. And, the first part of this sentence seems irrelevant... <.<

Overall, interesting insight on botting revenues. Any idea how it stacks up to WoW's?

seconcomiha2.png

543rd person to achieve 99 smithing - April 15, 2007

9,167th person to achieve max cape - December 15, 2012

5,345th person to achieve max skills - April 1, 2013

Achieved Completionist cape - April 5, 2013

I probaly would let mine go for 10k usd if i were quitting....it has rare event items such as scythe, bunny ears, runefest, over 10 skillcapes, rsc access, almost all discontinued sof rewards, most holiday items up to date missign few years items, every single rsc tradable holiday item atleast 2 of each etc

However, that's like putting money into the stock market and stating you should get paid $5/hour for every $10/hour you put into it.

I believe the $5 discount is accredited to AFK or the fact that this is a game, i.e. not RL labor/work. And, the first part of this sentence seems irrelevant... <.<

Overall, interesting insight on botting revenues. Any idea how it stacks up to WoW's?

The numbers had nothing to do with the posters discounts, merely as runescape accounts should be seen as items and not labor, mainly due to the fact that many of the accounts/gp gained/sold on rs are botted, thus an automated process, thus not comparable to actual wages.

w4M8t.png

I personally would not sell my account for its street value, it's too low when you account sentimental value. Give me a million, and I might reconsider (although I'd be a bit suspicious).

22031_s.gif

The numbers had nothing to do with the posters discounts, merely as runescape accounts should be seen as items and not labor, mainly due to the fact that many of the accounts/gp gained/sold on rs are botted, thus an automated process, thus not comparable to actual wages.

First, I would like an explanation on your stock market analogy, because it lost me.

Next, our reviver was taking into account the fact that time = money. This game is not just items/gp's (try buying 99 mining). It's safe to say that 99% of the people mulling over the thought of selling their account are factoring in labor/non-items to the asking price. Seeing as how it's impossible to place an exact price on everyone's personal time, minimum wage tends to be the best overall alternative. So, yes, it is comparable to actual wages.

Ofc, I would never delve into botting/RWT, so I'm blind to their methods of pricing accounts. Tell your friend we said Hi =;

seconcomiha2.png

people saying they think their accounts are worth like 1000$ because of how much time they put in are delusional.

You are not 'working' you are playing a game, if someone was serious I am sure they could get most of your stats in a few months from botting 24/7.

I doubt even max cape accounts would be worth that much (who would buy it...).

Even if someone else made an account with the same stats, it wouldn't have my name on it, or the social connections, or the personal friendships, responsibilities, or any of the other things associated with my RuneScape account that money or botting can't buy. Only by this account saying "Hi all" to my clan will get a resounding "Hi Will". Very little of the value of my account lies in its stats.

• Like 1

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It wasn't 10 years of progress. It was ten years you spent on the entire game. You didn't train all your skills constantly over the course of 10 years, like he did in the following 5 months (assuming 1 month to sell). Comparing them doesn't make sense.

Right, but in 5 months he was able to make an account that took me 10 years to create. Sure, there was other social interaction I gained in the 10 years (see http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=36), and some friendships, but those are all gone now.

Regardless, the entire point is that the reason that accounts are so under valued compared to most peoples expectations is largely because the time you put into the account is not equivalent to the time it would actually take to create an account of similar skills.

First, I would like an explanation on your stock market analogy, because it lost me.

Next, our reviver was taking into account the fact that time = money. This game is not just items/gp's (try buying 99 mining). It's safe to say that 99% of the people mulling over the thought of selling their account are factoring in labor/non-items to the asking price. Seeing as how it's impossible to place an exact price on everyone's personal time, minimum wage tends to be the best overall alternative. So, yes, it is comparable to actual wages.

My entire point of the stock market reference was there is a difference between being paid for labor versus paid for time you invested into something. Apparently it was a bad analogy. Let's just ignore it :)

Next, why would you use the value of minimum wage? A wage is something that an employer pays an employee. You are not employed by Runescape or Jagex or anyone for that matter, rather you are working on a product (or in the literal sense, playing a game...). It takes time, but so does everything. If it takes me 10 years to create a painting, but the painting is only worth 10,000, was my wage $1000/year? So no...it's not comparable to actual wages.

w4M8t.png

Given the right opportunity I'd likely sell my account for $500 Canadian. I've got school bills to pay.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Next, why would you use the value of minimum wage? A wage is something that an employer pays an employee. You are not employed by Runescape or Jagex or anyone for that matter, rather you are working on a product (or in the literal sense, playing a game...). It takes time, but so does everything. If it takes me 10 years to create a painting, but the painting is only worth 10,000, was my wage $1000/year? So no...it's not comparable to actual wages.

We use minimum wage because we are attempting to value time invested in an account, rather than say working at a job, i.e. minimum wage. Obviously none of us are paid by Jagex to play, idk where you pulled that one from :?: but let's ignore that one as well -.- .

And from your example (the painting), the "wage" per year for that project would average out to be $1000/yr. Though not an actual wage, per say, but an AAR (average annual return) on the invested project/painting. This is synonymous to our accounts, except we figure their price in the opposite order (hourly -> total). I'm not saying this is an accurate pricing model, but hey, that's what makes the hypothetical market!

I believe the reason for accounts being under valued is due to an enormous amount of intrinsic value, which is what makes RS such a phenomenal game.

As for my account's price tag, I wouldn't be doing my character justice by putting one on it. No amount of tangible assets can buy back time spent.

seconcomiha2.png

Right off the bat I have ~240m which is I believe 100-150$. Money holds no sentimental value to me.

I'd reckon my account would actually sell at another 150-200$ tops, but its intrinsic value to me makes me unwilling to go below 1k USD. Even then I'm not sure. It's like selling a pet or something =\

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

We use minimum wage because we are attempting to value time invested in an account, rather than say working at a job, i.e. minimum wage. Obviously none of us are paid by Jagex to play, idk where you pulled that one from :?: but let's ignore that one as well -.- .

And from your example (the painting), the "wage" per year for that project would average out to be $1000/yr. Though not an actual wage, per say, but an AAR (average annual return) on the invested project/painting. This is synonymous to our accounts, except we figure their price in the opposite order (hourly -> total). I'm not saying this is an accurate pricing model, but hey, that's what makes the hypothetical market!

I believe the reason for accounts being under valued is due to an enormous amount of intrinsic value, which is what makes RS such a phenomenal game.

As for my account's price tag, I wouldn't be doing my character justice by putting one on it. No amount of tangible assets can buy back time spent.

That is kind of my point. Why would you use the value of minimum wage to value your account? Wage is what an employer pays an employee. You are not being paid by an employer, and if you were to sell your account (which there is a market for), your expected wage wouldn't be anywhere near minimum wage. So why use minimum wage?

Next, stating that accounts are under-valued because of intrinsic value (assuming conversely you mean people over value their accounts because of intrinsic value) means that people expect their account to raise in value. I do not think that is the case with RS. I think it is more likely the case of sentimental value.

With all things, whether it's Runescape accounts or family heirlooms, the usual reason for over-valuation by the owner is likely because they don't intend to sell the object. This is often validated by reversing the roles. IE, everyone who states they couldn't part with their account for less then x amount, let's say $1000. You don't actually value the account at the value, ie, if Jagex said you would need to pay them $1000 to continue using your account, I guarantee no one would pay that amount.

With that said, this thread is titled "How much if your account worth to you", so feel free to throw out whatever random number you see fit....after all, this is all hypothetical...

w4M8t.png

More than I would be offered I'm sure.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Selling account is rule breaking and itll end up to some scam/bot prod

But on topic ill sell for a couple grand

It has some solomons items all comp cape reqs but 99/120 dung (in 80 atleast)

Old holiday items (i) rings chaotic good house and bank and lotta other trimmed comp cape stuff/items

Probs for a couple grand

Zooey_Deschanel_Signature_by_HadesDiosSupremo.jpg

I have quit, but still I wouldn't sell my account for anything under $1k. I'm kinda debating it though, since it would stop me from returning ever. I am receiving many signs that it is time to move on, but still I keep checkign tip it and stuff :P.