What diseases run in your family?

Faux

Almost everyone on my mom's side of the family (including me) has had the H. pylori infection sometime in their life. Since we're Taiwanese, it really isn't that surprising.

I know it's not exactly a disease, but anger management issues tend to be fairly common on my dad's side. Though they're Cantonese...So nothing surprising there either.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you're born into a communist family then I guess it can be "inheritable".

That's your environment. Has nothing to do with genes. There's no genetic component for a politic belief.

Well I don't think it's a disease.. but it's heriditery.

Did I spell it right? :?

Everyone in my family has a dislocated elbow and can't receive objects with their palm turned upwards.

Well if you're born into a communist family then I guess it can be "inheritable".

That's your environment. Has nothing to do with genes. There's no genetic component for a politic belief.

Inheritance doesn't always have to do with genetics. While communism might not be passed down through genes, the ideals can be inherited from your parents. You can also inherit a house from your parents. It was just a joke anyways.

Cancer + Sickle cell (I'm just a carrier).

what does that mean? your kids have chances of getting it?

He's probably a heterozygote. Which means he has one copy of the gene which is mutated, and one which is not. Most heterozygotic sickle cell carriers have no symptoms. That means he has 50% of passing on the mutated gene. For his kids to get sickle cell anaemia, his partner would need to pass one a mutated copy of the gene aswell. That means, he would need to have a partner which carries the gene. Most carriers live in places where a lot of malaria is present. This, because people with sickle cell disease are pretty much immune to malaria because the malaria parasite can't proliferate in the abnormally shaped red blood cells that these sickle cell patients have.

Since I doubt he lives in Africa, the chance on getting a partner which is also a carrier is quite small. And even if he did, chances are still 50% that the bad version of the gene is carried one. Which still makes up for a chance of 50%*50%=25%.

..And that's why having kids with your sister/cousin is a terribly terrible idea. Every family carries a rare recessive genetic disorder, but it's never expressed in the offspring unless you mate with another person with the same extremely rare genetic disease. Having kids with your cousin gives those disorders and opportunity to express themselves, which could leave to death. So before marrying your cousin, you'd better think twice.

Inheritance doesn't always have to do with genetics. While communism might not be passed down through genes, the ideals can be inherited from your parents. You can also inherit a house from your parents. It was just a joke anyways.

It's a good thing we're talking about heritable diseases, then.

hiccup.png

By definition, you are wrong, check this. Might be a bit whiney but it's good to not mix up definitions when debating over a nature/nurture case ;)

Cancer + Sickle cell (I'm just a carrier).

what does that mean? your kids have chances of getting it?

He's probably a heterozygote. Which means he has one copy of the gene which is mutated, and one which is not. Most heterozygotic sickle cell carriers have no symptoms. That means he has 50% of passing on the mutated gene. For his kids to get sickle cell anaemia, his partner would need to pass one a mutated copy of the gene aswell. That means, he would need to have a partner which carries the gene. Most carriers live in places where a lot of malaria is present. This, because people with sickle cell disease are pretty much immune to malaria because the malaria parasite can't proliferate in the abnormally shaped red blood cells that these sickle cell patients have.

Since I doubt he lives in Africa, the chance on getting a partner which is also a carrier is quite small. And even if he did, chances are still 50% that the bad version of the gene is carried one. Which still makes up for a chance of 50%*50%=25%.

..And that's why having kids with your sister/cousin is a terribly terrible idea. Every family carries a rare recessive genetic disorder, but it's never expressed in the offspring unless you mate with another person with the same extremely rare genetic disease. Having kids with your cousin gives those disorders and opportunity to express themselves, which could leave to death. So before marrying your cousin, you'd better think twice.

There's a true case where because at some point there'd been a bit of inbreeding, some of the children who were born with female bodies ended up sort of... healing up and... turning male like when they got to puberty. (I'm doing gender in Psychology :P) So be aware of the dangers of incest. *nodnod*

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

By definition, you are wrong, check this. Might be a bit whiney but it's good to not mix up definitions when debating over a nature/nurture case ;)

Okay, now look up "inherit" on Wikipedia. You're right about communism not being hereditary but it can be inherited, which is all I said.

It's a good thing we're talking about heritable diseases, then.

Which is where the joke part comes in. :)

Madness. As in insanity. (Manic) depression, schizofrenia, personality disorders.

Not sure they're all hereditary though, because in that case some of those should have already manifested themselves in me, my sibling or my nieces/nephews (though one of them seems borderline autistic).

Okay, now look up "inherit" on Wikipedia. You're right about communism not being hereditary but it can be inherited, which is all I said.

Okay, well then I'd say it's a wrong and confusing choice of words. But I see you were joking.

Madness. As in insanity. (Manic) depression, schizofrenia, personality disorders.

Not sure they're all hereditary though, because in that case some of those should have already manifested themselves in me, my sibling or my nieces/nephews (though one of them seems borderline autistic).

They are hereditary to some extent. Especially schizofrenia has quite a big genetic component.

They are hereditary to some extent. Especially schizofrenia has quite a big genetic component.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but schizofrenia usually manifests itself in your early twenties when it's hereditary. Since neither me or my brother have any symptoms, we're assuming the trigger was environmental for our relation. Still, we do have a bigger than average amount of 'nutcases' in the family. Oh well.

Cancer and heart problem seems to be the most popular ones among my friends. I have one friend who's scared of having kids because a lot of his relatives have mental issues.

None as far as I know runs in my family. None in my immediate family even have an allergy. The closest thing is glaucoma because me, my sister, and my mom *might* be at risk for it. But I know there's no one blind in my family so I'm not overly worried.

In our family we have the following diseases: heart ailments, high blood, diabetes and asthma. :ohnoes:

Alcoholism isn't a disease you cretins.

Also I would say that it is addictive personalities that are inherited, not alcoholism itself.

iteme3721.jpg

Alcoholism isn't a disease you cretins.

Also I would say that it is addictive personalities that are inherited, not alcoholism itself.

That's true. Recent studies do show a genetic predisposition that can cause alcoholism, but environmental factors are still the most important.

ADHD

its funny to see your 89 year old grandma with it, but i cant say much, i have it as well xD

You sure that's not just her personality and/or the fact she is 89 years old?

Just for reference, here are the symptoms of ADHD: Symptoms

And I thought 'What's your social class?' was a personal question. Oh well.

There's only a bit of diabetes, which so far I've never had, but nothing else.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Diabetes, type 1 and risk for type 2, as I have type one and so does my cousin, and my grandfather has type 2. Vision problems abound, as well as knee/general joint problems, and foot problems. And probably high blood pressure/heart disease though I'm not sure about that one.

High blood,Low blood,Diabetes,and if Asthma is heriditary,Asthma.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

From my mothers side...

Anemia and insomnia (Both of which I have :thumbup: )

From my fathers side...

Mental illness (mostly depression) some of which has ended in suicide...

And there's quite a few woman that have had breast cancer on my dad's side of the family aswell.

BoXRwtv.png

YZF63wJ.png

youknowhowilovemygeekyandnerdyguys-1.png