Homosexuality in RuneScape

Jard_Y_Dooku

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Stance: Not a problem to me personally, although I don't think sexual orientation should play a part in a game.

Religion: Umm... Jedi

Orientation: Straight, although why this matters is beyond me.

Just a small side point, but to say that Runescape shouldn't get involved in religion when it is already armpit deep in all the god-o-riffic content that you could possibly stuff into one game is sort of funny.

Other than that I think that we can just let this sleeping dog lie. I feel that there are better (well, more DIGNIFIED) stages to let this play out upon. A valid point it is for us to all accept, but there is a time and place for these things, and it is not in a silly video game such as this.

Nothing against silly video games, btw.

8f14270694.jpg

This is quite an interesting thread, but you would really think twice about implementing this in your game unless you were trying to make a point or take a stance. I could see a gay character/couple feasibly be implemented in a future quest, where the homosexuality isn't the issue of the quest, but for a quest that consists of pretty much only meeting up with a partner, as that one does, it would seem like the character was made gay just because they wanted to make a point. And then again, you have games like The Sims where it's your choice to make your Sims straight, bi or gay and there's no issue, because it's made as an emulation of real life. If you want to bring up homosexuality in the game, you do so by not making it an issue, so that there is no focus on it and it is just a part of the game, or in life.

Stance: Not for this quest, but gay characters could be feasibly implemented into the game otherwise.

Religion: Unsure

Orientation: Hetero

after all runescape dosent even have sex why introduce homo sexuality?

And homosexuality has nothing to do with sex in life, just as hetersexuality doesn't either. You can be gay without having sex, just as you can be straight without having sex.

Some games do not mix...

gtasimcopy.gif

Stance: I'm sorry but.. :lol: :lol: Is this serious? :D It's a game, lets not cause controversy over something so trivial :|

Religion: Christian

Orientation: Heterosexual

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

i was born and raised like this:

not like this:

tyvm.

if i had to do homo stuff as part of a quest, well, then i simply would not do that quest.

look, idk, be a homo all you want. just not around me. :shame: :shame: :shame:

Here's a good reason topics related to homosexuality would never survive. Let alone ignorant adults, you have ignorant kiddies like Rapono whose maturity (or lack thereof) can barely handle the conversation aspect, let alone implementation.

Anyway, this is about as big of a nonissue as when people start threads saying "OMG jadax r racist. dis grup nawt enuf peplz in rscape". Another non-issue, brought to you by Jard_Y_Dooku.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Representing Homsexuality in all forms of media is always a good mvoe where its appropriate.

A game like Mechscape whihc is supposed to be aimed at an older audience would be the kind of game were having some homosexual characters or options for the player to be so if quests or w.e asked for it woul;d add in a level of reality and diversity.

But a game like Runescape the main player based is younger teens and homosexuality and young teens just does not mix.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Stance:

But a game like Runescape the main player based is younger teens and homosexuality and young teens just does not mix.

This is the exact reason why.

Runescape is a Fantasy Game. This meaning that is does not have to adopt real world principles and real world aspects. There would be no reason to add content such as this, because there should be no reason any sexual content should be in the game anyways. Neither Straight, Homo, or Bi sexual content should not be in the game at all respectively.

Runescape is designed for a younger audience, (13-20) And I feel anyone during that age is free to practice what they believe in, but there shouldn't be aspects of it in the game by the designers. Players can do what they want in game and that should be enough content, as it can be done in moderation.

Religion: Non-Organized Christian

Orientation: It shouldn't matter because I am who I am. But Bisexual.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Runescape is designed for a younger audience, (13-20) And I feel anyone during that age is free to practice what they believe in, but there shouldn't be aspects of it in the game by the designers. Players can do what they want in game and that should be enough content, as it can be done in moderation.

So does this mean we won't be able to use a knife on leather chaps and cut out the.....Why is everyone looking at me like that?

Also: The game does delve into transgender issues. If you did the first miscellenia quest as a man/woman and then change genders for the next quest, the prince/princess will make a comment about how you've changed, and that they like it. I guess that counts for something.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The thing I really hate is people saying that sex stuff shouldn't be talked about around younger children and such, because then it becomes this kind of taboo and the kids pick up absolutly [cabbage] ideas from mates and some other people without really understanding at all.

Some religions do a similar thing, and I think that about half of the worlds religions or more are there to control the sheeple. ;)

Stance: Unsure really, there are so many kids with the wrong ideas playing this game...

Religion: Atheist

Orientation: 80% straight 20% gay

Kaiya_Tomiko.png Roky_X.png

Stance: It would be interesting for a game with over 2million players(or accounts) to put something like that its game. It wouldnt affect me either way.

Religion: Nonobservant Christian

Orientation: Heterosexual (straight)

off topic:For all you straight guys out there going out with gay men or man( works best if you dont go with a huge crowd 1 or 2 is good) is by far the best way to pick up chicks most gay men have tons and tons straight female friends.(gay dudes are like chick magnets) This is for those of you over 21 in the US. Not sure how Europe is with the drinking laws and what not.

Look at this in a medieval sense, not in a present-day sense.

Looking at RuneScape from a medieval sense, mages would be burned as witches. You can't use the time frame the game is loosely based upon as an argument against homosexual marriage in the game.

While I agree that a game aimed at 13 year old children probably shouldn't introduce it, if any parent thinks their kid has no idea about homosexuals by that age then they've got their heads in a very deep hole.

You do realize that 'homo' is a colloquial term for homosexuality/homosexuals, there is no need to nitpick everything; makes you look more of an idiot.
Does that mean that Homo milk is only for homosexuals?? The improper usage of "colloquial" terms simply further distances society from the word's proper meaning. Gay means happy and a [bleep] is a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together.

Edit: whoops, I didn't realize that word would be bleeped...sorry about that. If you look at the context though, I obviously didn't mean it in a derogatory way.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

The only instances of sexuality in Runescape are the Miscellania quests and the frog random, as far as I know. The former can be attributed to an arranged marriage, of which the character doesn't really have a choice anyway. The latter is just a fairytale thing. I don't think homosexuality should be introduced simply because heterosexuality is pretty nonexistent anyway.

Stance: No.

Religion: Agnostic.

Orientation: Heterosexual.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Yeah, I'm going to side with everyone who said that it shouldn't be in the game because many of the people in Runescape are just to immature. Is there anything wrong with it? No, but I don't want to have to read/listen to all the [cabbage] that will go down.

Orientation: Asexual

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

I personally don't think it'd be the best move. There are probably bigger concerns for Runescape. But people shouldn't think that kids can't 'handle it'. Unless a child has been brought up being told that it's horrible and evil there's no reason they shouldn't be able to deal with it like they would a heterosexual relationship. My 8 year old brother called me a lesbian once :wall: Don't underestimate children these days.

Stance: It's not particularly important...

Religion: Googlism

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Stance: Jagex does not need to become involved in the Gay Rights' Movement. I believe that Jagex should allow the parents of each individual player to teach their children as they wish without the concern of a gaming company pushing their ideas on their child.

It has nothing to do with teaching anything or pushing ideas. You cannot consciously choose your sexual orientation.

Look at this in a medieval sense, not in a present-day sense.

Looking at RuneScape from a medieval sense, mages would be burned as witches. You can't use the time frame the game is loosely based upon as an argument against homosexual marriage in the game.

While I agree that a game aimed at 13 year old children probably shouldn't introduce it, if any parent thinks their kid has no idea about homosexuals by that age then they've got their heads in a very deep hole.

You do realize that 'homo' is a colloquial term for homosexuality/homosexuals, there is no need to nitpick everything; makes you look more of an idiot.
Does that mean that Homo milk is only for homosexuals?? The improper usage of "colloquial" terms simply further distances society from the word's proper meaning. Gay means happy and a [bleep] is a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together.

Edit: whoops, I didn't realize that word would be bleeped...sorry about that. If you look at the context though, I obviously didn't mean it in a derogatory way.

I think the timeframe was a good point. But witches/mages in real life couldn't actually do anything; in RuneScape, if someone tried to burn them, they can fight back with magic.

---

Now, the reason I posted this topic isn't for political correctness of any kind, but just to allow more player control. I thought this would be an interesting subject, and I am surprised that so far, nearly all of you have agreed with me (no, don't add it) and your religion/orientation seems not to have influenced your stance; more of your reason for your stance.

Normally, all human males are sexually attracted to females, and all human females are attracted to males. For some biological/chemical reason, this is reversed in some people. We can't say for certain what actually causes it, but the point I am making is that it's not a choice. The feeling of attraction towards a particular gender is chemical; you can't consciously change it, unless you're doing some crazy brain surgery. Some homosexuals may consciously WANT to be heterosexual, but they will still FEEL sexual attraction towards the same gender, and that feeling cannot be changed or redirected.

However, there are a lot of people who are homosexual - and I don't hate homosexuals, so don't think that. They should be free to live without being bothered, just like anyone else. Now, most of you probably haven't heard of this, but in software engineering and web design, there exist accessibility guidelines to allow the software or website to be more easily accessed by people with disabilities. My question of whether homosexual content should be implemented in RuneScape was based on this: should we allow players to make more choices based on their opinions? I always design my software to give its users the most options possible, which I think is a good thing.

I've posted this suggestion which I myself (and 99% of you) don't agree should be implemented. The most reasons I've seen are that you are sick of political correctness or for religious reason (assuming orientation is choice-based).

In an RPG, your character is not some person you control; it is YOU. So he/she should be able to be like you. But the reason I think it should not be allowed is that RuneScape is in the medieval ages... back then, homosexuals would be killed if they admitted it. So I suppose you could argue that you are simply forced to act against your will in the game in order to survive.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Stance: Jagex does not need to become involved in the Gay Rights' Movement. I believe that Jagex should allow the parents of each individual player to teach their children as they wish without the concern of a gaming company pushing their ideas on their child.

It has nothing to do with teaching anything or pushing ideas. You cannot consciously choose your sexual orientation.

Well as you said before, you believe that there is something in their genetics as proven by science, but not everyone believes that, but that is another debate for another time. But if Jagex were to do this, they would be pushing the message for gay marriage and saying that everyone should support it, but not all parents think that way. Therefor, the parents should be able to discuss this matter, (gay marriage), with their children as they wish.

"Maybe a hundred years; that would be fine with me. As long as Americans are not being injured, harmed, wounded, or killed, that's fine with me. I hope it would be fine with you, if we were to maintain a presence in an extremely volatile part of the world. A part of the world where the al Qaeda are training, equipping, recruiting, and motivating people every single day." -John McCain

Well as you said before, you believe that there is something in their genetics as proven by science, but not everyone believes that, but that is another debate for another time. But if Jagex were to do this, they would be pushing the message for gay marriage and saying that everyone should support it, but not all parents think that way. Therefor, the parents should be able to discuss this matter, (gay marriage), with their children as they wish.

I am a man of science and logic, not opinion. There are proven biological differences between heterosexuals and homosexuals. I think the most reason people think it is a choice is because their religion tells them so, or because homosexuals do not want to feel that they are "incorrect"... but people with disabilities do just fine. Stephen Hawking is almost fully paralyzed, but he doesn't go around trying to convince people that he is "normal". All this debate on whether it's biologically set, or a choice, stems from mental insecurity. We should simply accept all of ourselves for who we are, and continue on with our lives as normal.

No one should feel ill towards themselves or others because there is something wrong with their body. My feet are somewhat misaligned. I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. No matter.

One more thing I forgot to mention: only a male and female mammal together, can reproduce. Two males or two females cannot. Yes, this is a simple fact but it cannot be overlooked.

I'd advise you to read the following excerpt, and perhaps the full article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_an ... rientation):

Biological differences in gay men and lesbians

[edit] Physiological

Recent studies have found notable differences between the physiology of gay people and non-gay people. There is evidence that:

* Gay men have similar brains to those of straight women and gay women to those of straight men [49]

* The average size of the INAH-3 in the brains of gay men is approximately the same size as INAH 3 in women, which is significantly smaller, and the cells more densely packed, than in heterosexual men's brains.[5]

* The suprachiasmatic nucleus was found by Swaab and Hopffman to be larger in gay men than in non-gay men,[50] the suprachiasmatic nucleus is also known to be larger in men than in women.[51]

* The anterior commissure is larger in women than men and was reported to be larger in gay men than in non-gay men,[52] but a subsequent study found no such difference.[53]

* Gay men report, on an average, slightly longer and thicker penises than non-gay men.[54]

* Gay men's brains respond differently to fluoxetine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.[55]

* The functioning of the inner ear and the central auditory system in lesbians and bisexual women are more like the functional properties found in men than in non-gay women (the researchers argued this finding was consistent with the prenatal hormonal theory of sexual orientation).[56]

* The startle response (eyeblink following a loud sound) is similarly masculinized in lesbians and bisexual women.[57]

* Three regions of the brain (medial prefrontal cortex, left hippocampus, and right amygdala) are more active in gay men than non-gay men when exposed to sexually arousing material.[58]

* Gay and non-gay people emit different armpit odors.[59]

* Gay men are more likely to have a counter-clockwise hair whorl pattern.[60]

* Gay and non-gay people's brains respond differently to two human sex pheromones (AND, found in male armpit secretions, and EST, found in female urine).[61][62][63]

* Finger length ratios between the index and ring fingers may be different between non-gay and lesbian women.[64][65][56][66][67][68]

[edit] Cognitive

Recent studies suggest the presence of subtle differences in the way gay people and non-gay people process certain kinds of information. Researchers have found that:

* Gay men and lesbians are significantly more likely to be left-handed or ambidextrous than are non-gay men and women;[69][70][71] Simon LeVay argues that because "[h]and preference is observable before birth[72]... [t]he observation of increased non-right-handness in gay people is therefore consistent with the idea that sexual orientation is influenced by prenatal processes," perhaps heredity.[5]

* Gay men[73] and lesbians are more verbally fluent than heterosexuals of the same sex[74][75][76] (but two studies did not find this result).[77][78]

* Gay men may receive higher scores than non-gay men on tests of object location memory (no difference was found between lesbians and non-gay women).[79]

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Stance: unneeded but no problem in introducing expect the 12 year olds getting annoyed.

Orientation: straight

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Not worth it for Jagex, it would create way too much controversy.

Orientation: Heterosexual

Opinion: No

And to JARD_Y_DOOKU:

I'm not denying the biological differences between heterosexual people and homosexual people. However, because we are human, we do have a choice. That's what being human is: the ability to chose, the ability to think. Someone who has the inclination to have sex with another man doesn't have to do it. Animals have to do it, they can't think. Humans don't.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

You can't always trust Wikipedia...

But know this, I agree that no one should hate or wish harm upon someone because they are gay. As far as the science debate goes, there is much to be said, but again as I said in my last post, that is a debate for another time. This topic is about Jagex and their game content. Today, most everyone agrees that gay people should be respected and have rights, but when it comes to marriage that is where it changes. The reason that gay marriage is being debated in America is due to the fact that America was founded on Christian principles, including the definition of a traditional marriage. And because it is such a heated debate, Jagex should not even cover that topic at all.

"Maybe a hundred years; that would be fine with me. As long as Americans are not being injured, harmed, wounded, or killed, that's fine with me. I hope it would be fine with you, if we were to maintain a presence in an extremely volatile part of the world. A part of the world where the al Qaeda are training, equipping, recruiting, and motivating people every single day." -John McCain

I am a man of science and logic, not opinion. There are proven biological differences between heterosexuals and homosexuals. I think the most reason people think it is a choice is because their religion tells them so, or because homosexuals do not want to feel that they are "incorrect"... but people with disabilities do just fine. Stephen Hawking is almost fully paralyzed, but he doesn't go around trying to convince people that he is "normal". All this debate on whether it's biologically set, or a choice, stems from mental insecurity. We should simply accept all of ourselves for who we are, and continue on with our lives as normal.

No one should feel ill towards themselves or others because there is something wrong with their body. My feet are somewhat misaligned. I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. No matter.

One more thing I forgot to mention: only a male and female mammal together, can reproduce. Two males or two females cannot. Yes, this is a simple fact but it cannot be overlooked.

I'd advise you to read the following excerpt, and perhaps the full article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_an ... rientation):

Biological differences in gay men and lesbians

[edit] Physiological

Recent studies have found notable differences between the physiology of gay people and non-gay people. There is evidence that:

* Gay men have similar brains to those of straight women and gay women to those of straight men [49]

* The average size of the INAH-3 in the brains of gay men is approximately the same size as INAH 3 in women, which is significantly smaller, and the cells more densely packed, than in heterosexual men's brains.[5]

* The suprachiasmatic nucleus was found by Swaab and Hopffman to be larger in gay men than in non-gay men,[50] the suprachiasmatic nucleus is also known to be larger in men than in women.[51]

* The anterior commissure is larger in women than men and was reported to be larger in gay men than in non-gay men,[52] but a subsequent study found no such difference.[53]

* Gay men report, on an average, slightly longer and thicker penises than non-gay men.[54]

* Gay men's brains respond differently to fluoxetine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.[55]

* The functioning of the inner ear and the central auditory system in lesbians and bisexual women are more like the functional properties found in men than in non-gay women (the researchers argued this finding was consistent with the prenatal hormonal theory of sexual orientation).[56]

* The startle response (eyeblink following a loud sound) is similarly masculinized in lesbians and bisexual women.[57]

* Three regions of the brain (medial prefrontal cortex, left hippocampus, and right amygdala) are more active in gay men than non-gay men when exposed to sexually arousing material.[58]

* Gay and non-gay people emit different armpit odors.[59]

* Gay men are more likely to have a counter-clockwise hair whorl pattern.[60]

* Gay and non-gay people's brains respond differently to two human sex pheromones (AND, found in male armpit secretions, and EST, found in female urine).[61][62][63]

* Finger length ratios between the index and ring fingers may be different between non-gay and lesbian women.[64][65][56][66][67][68]

[edit] Cognitive

Recent studies suggest the presence of subtle differences in the way gay people and non-gay people process certain kinds of information. Researchers have found that:

* Gay men and lesbians are significantly more likely to be left-handed or ambidextrous than are non-gay men and women;[69][70][71] Simon LeVay argues that because "[h]and preference is observable before birth[72]... [t]he observation of increased non-right-handness in gay people is therefore consistent with the idea that sexual orientation is influenced by prenatal processes," perhaps heredity.[5]

* Gay men[73] and lesbians are more verbally fluent than heterosexuals of the same sex[74][75][76] (but two studies did not find this result).[77][78]

* Gay men may receive higher scores than non-gay men on tests of object location memory (no difference was found between lesbians and non-gay women).[79]

i'm not particularly going either way in the socialisation vs. genetics debate as far as homosexuality is concerned, however, I don't think it is a valid point to say that just because there are biological differences in homo males and hetero males, proves that homosexuality is in some form genetic. There is a pretty massive biological difference between the brain of a "normal" person and that of an addict. There is some proof pointing towards addiction being a genetic trait, however, there are addicts who do not show this same genetic difference. However, ALL addicts brain composition and chemical interactions are different from a normal persons. In the case of an addict, it was the addicts choice that caused the biological difference. So to rule out socialization based purely on the fact that there are biological differences is pretty short sighted.

pandapk2.jpg