Runescape On Consoles *proof*

RSBDavid

I'm not sure about this, did anyone perhaps consider that it could just be the exact same version of rs but with controls modified for each console's controllers? I don't think I'd be impressed by a completely different version anyway.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how will people type in-game on the console games?

an on-screen keyboard would be horrible and very slow to use, and they shouldn't expect people to go out and buy a keyboard solely to play RS on a playstation.

plus, would the monthly subscription still be in effect? The game itself may cost $30-$60 at first purchase, plus additional fees.

You could use voice chat, by very unlikely since all the immature people who think the "F" word is the best adjective,adverb, or noun to use.

They can provide a free download.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

an on-screen keyboard would be horrible and very slow to use, and they shouldn't expect people to go out and buy a keyboard solely to play RS on a playstation.

plus, would the monthly subscription still be in effect? The game itself may cost $30-$60 at first purchase, plus additional fees.

You could use voice chat, by very unlikely since all the immature people who think the "F" word is the best adjective,adverb, or noun to use.

For the sanity of the filter, I'd rule that possibility out. I don't know of any voice recognition software that is 100% accurate at filtering certain words, from the voices of different people (male, female, old, young, those with bronchitis, those who haven't hit puberty, etc...)

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

No, I'm certain that he meant that RuneScript was its own standalone language, which I pointed out that it wasn't. Also, porting from one language to another is actually extremely difficult. (Ironically, that's why Java exists. :P) Getting RS to run on another platform, such as C++, would require porting some familiar Java-specific API calls, perhaps one to ArrayList, which simply does not exist in C++.

I don't quite get what you're saying...The client would be easy to port over. It simply displays what is done on the server. Jagex would not have to port their server over to the Wii, no... That'd be impossible. They simply have to port the client, which is somewhat trivial. Yes, they'd have to program in C++, but that's not quite a problem. I've seen people convert C games to C++ quite quickly, albeit they're very close, but Java is "close" to C++.

Also, when it comes to C# on the consoles: Jagex would have to write their own C# compiler that targets the consoles. C++ compilers are supplied with every console development kit I am 99% sure (of course, those "in the know" have to sign NDA's). C# would only work on the Xbox 360, due to both of them being designed at Microsoft. Also, C# is no different than Java: both require a runtime environment. Neither of them are compiled to native code.

For example, I've thought over the idea of making Wii games using C or C++. There's a free compiler that allows you to do this in C or C++ (devkitPro). It's made to specifically for the Wii, but notice the absence of a C# compiler? I am 99% sure that all commercial console games have been written in one of three languages (and by console, I mean the Big N, Sony, and Microsoft consoles): assembly (NES, SNES), C (not sure, but most likely the PS1 and N64), or C++ (probably all the others). I can tell you for sure that the big game engines out there that a lot of companies use, such as Unreal, are programmed in C++.

But on this topic: it sounds interesting. For the Wii, it wouldn't be too hard, as it supports USB devices quite easily (I only know about homebrew on the Wii, sadly, so I am basing my experience on this). It also has the nifty little pointing device, an alternative to the mouse.

ozXHe7P.png

FYI: I spend my time in his clan chat, and he's known to joke around. Without being able to see the conversation as a whole, this could be way out of context. Also, Jagex would not announce such a grand thing in a clan chat.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

[hide=Long quotes!!]

and you don't need Java to run runescape(you use a sun java vm). Runescape is programmed in it's own language. I'm sure they could tweak it to run on any platform.

1) Try to run RuneScape without Java.

2) RuneScape is programmed with a scripting language (RuneScript), which is built on top of Java. So yes, you do need Java to run RS.

I knew about this, not to thrilled about it. Heard some rumblings that it would be done in C#, which doesn't seem right - why wouldn't they use C++ for this...?

You missed his point

Its written in runescript whihc a java app inteprets.

Therefore all they need is to write a matching c++ or w/e app tht can read runescript and boom same game diff paltform

No, I'm certain that he meant that RuneScript was its own standalone language, which I pointed out that it wasn't. Also, porting from one language to another is actually extremely difficult. (Ironically, that's why Java exists. :P) Getting RS to run on another platform, such as C++, would require porting some familiar Java-specific API calls, perhaps one to ArrayList, which simply does not exist in C++.

It's possible, just tedious. But that is neither here nor there. ;)

EDIT:

And this is why I always theorized that porting RuneScape to consoles was all but out of the question. There's a chance that you could use QuickChat, but using that to communicate with other RS players is about as helpful as using a foam cup to call your cousin in Hawaii.

I dunno, I'd actually like to see how they could pull this off.

[/hide]

Just to keep this escalating from a flame war, you did in fact misinterpret what I said. Right now, I could not run runescape on my computer without Java because the game developers are using Java as the medium (Java is a universal language, and thanks to OS dependent VM's, it can run on multiple OS's/Platforms).

Please don't treat me as if I don't have an education. I currently intern at a F500 company doing, guess what? Java Development. I hate Java, and never learned the language in college, so I couldn't tell you the advantages of Java over C++(Which I enjoy because it allows direct modification of memory, which Java doesn't allow, which is 1. more efficient and 2. better for hardware oriented people). Thankfully I am a fast learner.

Back to where I was going: Right now I couldn't run runescape without a Java, but as you said, it would be possible to port from Java to another language(c++). Regardless of difficulty, something you learn in the business world is that if it has potential for profit, difficulty often takes a back seat. And I don't know how much of Jagex's code is tied with the use of Java exactly, and I doubt you do as well. Because of this, it's impossible to predict how difficult the transformation would be. For one of our projects in my Comp eng classes we were asked to make a program that would read in an assembly document, make sure it assembled in assembly, and then convert it to embedded C, and then make sure it compiled, and if not, output the errors. This was difficult for amateurs, but for an expert, would prove to be a simple task. I would assume that it would be similiar for this instance.

Also on a side note, I would expect them to use C# for the fact that XBox is MS and pretty much the same reason for C#'s existance(however not required for the 360, so who knows where that will go).

Edit: Vivia kind of touched on what I talked about, which I didn't notice til after I posted, so sorry for the duplicate content.

w4M8t.png

For the sanity of the filter, I'd rule that possibility out. I don't know of any voice recognition software that is 100% accurate at filtering certain words, from the voices of different people (male, female, old, young, those with bronchitis, those who haven't hit puberty, etc...)

What about some sort of dictation program which would turn what you say into text? That would allow the chat filter work exactly as it does currently.

Personally it doesn't matter to me though, as I'm still playing a PS2 -.-

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

FYI: I spend my time in his clan chat, and he's known to joke around. Without being able to see the conversation as a whole, this could be way out of context. Also, Jagex would not announce such a grand thing in a clan chat.

i have to agree.

I think it should be noted that voice chat would be fine. Sure, there would be a lot of cussing, but 1. It happens on xbl already so kids with an xbox are introduced to it anyway, 2. offensive language could result in a ban from xbl(which is more expensive than a ban from runescape)...however this mainly totes on racism and threats as opposed to cussing, which I wouldn't disagree with.

w4M8t.png

Real Runescape you say? I would imagine like a Runescape by-product with names, stories, places, etc. being the same in a regular rpg. That's what I have always imagined with Runescape going to a console.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

This will be...interesting?

Unless the console version is going to be entirely separate from the pc version, I cant see voice being an option. Quick chat will probably be used + keyboards. How would you be able to communicate to normal players with voice? Not to mention jagex's tight chat rules.

Anyway although they have working versions does not mean we will see them any time soon, and when they do you will probably have to pay for them. Jagex what a free option but that's just never going to happen Imo.

Some more info about the console plans can be found in this interview.

http://www.developmag.com/interviews/490/Interview-Jagexs-Mark-Gerhard

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

I usually don't like speculating on such things however, the fact that the Wii is involved grabs my attention.

For game play I do not see any reason for them to add things like moving the Wiimote to do things. Not only would that be a pain in the butt(or for once in our nerdy RS lives, arm :o ) but, It could give us an edge/disadvantage with skills that use the Wiimote's abilities. Neither of which I think Jagex has plans for introducing.

For graphics I think they will keep them as much the same as possible with perhaps the exception of only one graphics option. Because there isn't a large variety of Wii's anywhere from the 1990's to the top of the line hardware of today I don't think there's much point in graphics options.

For cost, I don't think Jagex will stray to far from their largely successful don't buy the game model. My guess is you can download it in the Wii shop and membership will apply for both computer and game console versions.

Now there's a lot more I want to/could speculate on but I'll let you get to the next post. :)

Lord_Cool_LV.png

Lord_Cool_LV.png

Quest Cape originally achieved 4/14/09

99 Cooking achieved 1/1/09

5/6 Achievement Diaries completed

360_keypad.jpg

L2pullout.png

[hide=]

360_keypad.jpg

[/hide]

I can just imagine...I'm pking and for some reason the opposite player keeps shouting "n,m.m,.mlkj;lkj.,m"....

I think people might be on the right track where the games won't be linked, but more of a "Runescape 360" or "RunEscape"...

w4M8t.png

headsets

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

With PS3 and I'm sure XBOX/Wii it would definitely work. I use my computer keyboard and mouse with my PS3, they integrate seamlessly. I would probably use this, it would be the same thing as computer except for the bigger screen (TV) and all HD (hopefully better?) graphics. I would also hope for a way to move around using the joystick instead of clicking.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Just to keep this escalating from a flame war, you did in fact misinterpret what I said. Right now, I could not run runescape on my computer without Java because the game developers are using Java as the medium (Java is a universal language, and thanks to OS dependent VM's, it can run on multiple OS's/Platforms).

Please don't treat me as if I don't have an education. I currently intern at a F500 company doing, guess what? Java Development. I hate Java, and never learned the language in college, so I couldn't tell you the advantages of Java over C++(Which I enjoy because it allows direct modification of memory, which Java doesn't allow, which is 1. more efficient and 2. better for hardware oriented people). Thankfully I am a fast learner.

Back to where I was going: Right now I couldn't run runescape without a Java, but as you said, it would be possible to port from Java to another language(c++). Regardless of difficulty, something you learn in the business world is that if it has potential for profit, difficulty often takes a back seat. And I don't know how much of Jagex's code is tied with the use of Java exactly, and I doubt you do as well. Because of this, it's impossible to predict how difficult the transformation would be. For one of our projects in my Comp eng classes we were asked to make a program that would read in an assembly document, make sure it assembled in assembly, and then convert it to embedded C, and then make sure it compiled, and if not, output the errors. This was difficult for amateurs, but for an expert, would prove to be a simple task. I would assume that it would be similiar for this instance.

Also on a side note, I would expect them to use C# for the fact that XBox is MS and pretty much the same reason for C#'s existance(however not required for the 360, so who knows where that will go).

Edit: Vivia kind of touched on what I talked about, which I didn't notice til after I posted, so sorry for the duplicate content.

Don't think that I was belittling you or anything, I was going off of what I understood of the RS game. Vivia is absolutely right - they're not going to port the server over to any other console. That's what I misunderstood. I really should do my homework before I go and comment stuff so I don't have to retract what I said earlier...

[Aside]

Neither of us know how difficult or whatever it could be to port the game, but to be honest, the only real problem I foresaw was communication, which is more or less a show stopper. I realize that yes, if money is involved, then they'll make an effort to port it to a console. If, by theory, they were only porting the client, then yeah, it'd be rather simple and you wouldn't have to worry about API-specific calls.

I still don't like the idea of using C# in the development, but then again, I'm not in charge of it, so all I can do is sit in a corner and sulk.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

With PS3 and I'm sure XBOX/Wii it would definitely work. I use my computer keyboard and mouse with my PS3, they integrate seamlessly. I would probably use this, it would be the same thing as computer except for the bigger screen (TV) and all HD (hopefully better?) graphics. I would also hope for a way to move around using the joystick instead of clicking.

You can also play with a computer on TV... but well the graphics aren't so great that you really need a bigger screen. :P

[404] Signature not found.