Runescape On Consoles *proof*

RSBDavid

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably won't be the same game. If they put RS on consoles, it'll most likely be a different version with altered game play. The graphics would be much better at least.

Andrew has already said the graphics won't be any better, they will be exactly the same, it will be impossible to play offline as well.

Ok first of all mic's will never be allowed in RS, as the target age is about 10 to 14 (hence the parent section, etc). Voice is extremely hard to monitor, moderate, adds massive amounts of bandwidth usage and its generally a bad item in a game of this scale (W2 GE with voice anyone?).

The quick chat feature was/is pretty much a test system for low effort communication ie console or handheld devices. So it all would make sense.

The thing is theres a lot of extra work Jagex would have to do to get it to a workable state for a console, especially all 3.

360 is going to be the easiest to cater for as its essentially a PC anyway. The Wii has issues with the resolution as its smaller then the SD version let alone the HD version, so would require a lot of work both in the dumbing down, the reduced screen space and the controls. The PS3 is nortiously hard to code for.

All of theses things are bad for the current 'scapers as not only would they have to trouble shoot the current game, but the'd also have to trouble shoot 3 different clients as well as spending time tweaking them.

Love the idea though.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Those familiar with the Wii's internet browser would know that typing with the on-screen keyboard isn't as bad as some people think.
Pretty sure you can plug a USB keyboard into the Wii anyway.

For the Wii I can see it being a game on WiiWare. I don't own an XBox360 or a PS3 so not too sure about those.

imagangster.png

Those familiar with the Wii's internet browser would know that typing with the on-screen keyboard isn't as bad as some people think.
Pretty sure you can plug a USB keyboard into the Wii anyway.

For the Wii I can see it being a game on WiiWare. I don't own an XBox360 or a PS3 so not too sure about those.

Wii = Wiiware

360 = Xbox live Arcade

PS3 = PS3 online.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I think that jagex would like to use the "Runescape" brand to launch console games, and that would be fine. I'm sure there's a way to incorporate a fine RPG (MMORPG possible as well) into the game, but I don't know how they could make the game cooperative with the browser-based game; in reality they likely wouldn't.

A console game would likely be heavily reliant on headset and TS style speaking to communicate; I don't think the typing features on Wii or 360/PS3 are close to fast enough to keep up. Perhaps they'd use an elaborate quickchat?

I view these potential games as supplemental, not replacement. It would be a nice revenue stream. My only hope is that should there be crossover, they not allow items earned on consoles exclusively to be translated to browser versions (which would basically just hose us out of the additional cash to secure the console version if we wanted to keep up with the most effective gear). It would be a very tough move, but also a potential MONSTER of a revenue stream for Jagex.

stormveritas.png

I wish Jagex would just stick to focusing on the computer version, I don't own an Xbox360 or PS3 but I definitely can't see RuneScape being anywhere near as good or convenient on the Wii.

EDIT: Oh actually it looks a bit better now I've seen that Xbox controller up there lol.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

What about cheats? There's things like game sharks and action replays for every console. Could it work with RS?

That would be no different from the pc version, its only going to be a client anyway not much you can cheat on.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

well i have gotten rs to work on psp and itouch (there is a tut on youtube somwhere for itouch) Thing is itouch = 8fps -.- psp 25 fps -.-

rs cooking animation = 48 fps -.-

34sny53.png

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

It tends to be easier to cheat on a computer through software/hardware mods than a console.

I agree with everyone saying that it would be an entirely new game by jagex for consoles. I feel that jagex isn't ready to compete with the xonsole game developers. Surely someone with more $ will be able to do this before jagex

w4M8t.png

What about cheats? There's things like game sharks and action replays for every console. Could it work with RS?

No, because it streams data from a webserver ALL the time, it's impossible to use cheats unless you can get into the saved files on Jagex's servers, which isn't really going to happen as you have to literally be inside the Cambridge office to gain access anyway.

Sounds great, but I'd like some specifics.

Is it still in Runescript, or is it a C++ version? Will it be compatible with the current Runescape, as in, will you use the same character, same world, able to interact with PC users? Will there be improved graphics (most likely will be)? Will it be a totally new game, potentially much different to the current Runescape? For example, could it be single player, maybe no longer point and click?

There's so much unanswered, I can't wait to hear more!

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I'm also interested in how the chat will work out.

Love to see this, to bad we can't figure out why my [cabbage] Wii won't use internet... even though we bought a freakin USB thingy and everything... :wall:

I had the same problem, does your antivirus protection not allow other systems (besides your computer) to access your internet? If so, change it. If not, does your wii detect the usb thingy? Also, your computer has to be on to use the USB.

Yeah, you can't play RS on the wii anyways.

Sorry for straying off topic, but I remember when I got all hyped about a fake photo of an rs game for PS2, so I'm taking everything with a grain of salt.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

Unless you guys are just talking about a future possibility, have any of you noticed the fact that this IS A BIG DEAL, and Jagex would not announce it in a clan chat. And the fact that Mark enjoys to joke around should be accounted for as well.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

I imagine it will be the exact same game. Literally, 100% the same. Point and click, a button to turn the camera.

...There would be so many issues with this. No one would want to play a game where you use a joystick to navigate a mouse across the screen, and it would fail.

Typing on an onscreen keyboard/buying a separate keyboard for the game will make it fail.

Jagex has succeeded with runescape because its a game with a lot of content that has player interaction and is free. After thinking a lot about it, I just don't see Jagex making any money in the console market(honestly, the only players would probably be existing players, and if the gameplay is worse, than they won't have those stick around.

w4M8t.png